• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

Starting up The Holdovers and just checking right quick:
I'm supposed to hate these kids and cheer every time Giamatti opens his mouth, right?

Cuz that's what I'm doing

you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.
Okay so
I really like the main kid now but I still hate his rival (which by now I'm sure I was supposed to) and I continued cheering whenever Giamatti opened his mouth so 😅

Especially the convenience store scene omg. The escalation of that story was so well-delivered :ROFLMAO:

Did we... know about this?

Because I don't think we did. There was that live action announcement from some time back, but I certainly don't remember Moana 2 being announced at any point.
We didn't. Honestly I kind of like the idea of some movies not being announced until closer to release, kind of like Nintendo with their games. There's really no reason for us to know about every upcoming film half a decade in advance.

We didn't. Honestly I kind of like the idea of some movies not being announced until closer to release, kind of like Nintendo with their games. There's really no reason for us to know about every upcoming film half a decade in advance.
This is seemingly not what's happening here... basically this is the previously announced Moana animated Disney+ series being re-tooled into a film to the point where they are only just negotiating now, after announcing the film to get The Rock and Auli'i back for the film (assumption that they are replacing the TV show sound-a-likes) and the live action film has now been either cancelled or shelved for the time being... basically Disney had an empty calendar and were like hey that Moana series is fine, make it a film instead - definitely not a calculated, planned situation from Disney (suspect the animation guild are also likely to be on strike this year, so they may repurpose near complete series as films where possible to still have animated films for the schedule)

This is seemingly not what's happening here... basically this is the previously announced Moana animated Disney+ series being re-tooled into a film to the point where they are only just negotiating now, after announcing the film to get The Rock and Auli'i back for the film (assumption that they are replacing the TV show sound-a-likes) and the live action film has now been either cancelled or shelved for the time being... basically Disney had an empty calendar and were like hey that Moana series is fine, make it a film instead - definitely not a calculated, planned situation from Disney (suspect the animation guild are also likely to be on strike this year, so they may repurpose near complete series as films where possible to still have animated films for the schedule)
I see. That's very interesting then. I feel like a lot of the "limited event" Disney+ series could have been movies anyway so I'm kind of glad this is happening. We'll see how it pans out, but I feel like Moana isn't really a hard act to follow up in terms of story. As long as they're able to get the VAs back, and have solid music and animation, it should be fine.

6lawN2O.jpeg

And cast Charles Martinet as the detective

I "enjoyed" Zone Of Interest (not sure what is the proper word for it, but you get what I mean). As a Jewish person I am somewhat burnt out on Holocaust movies and the whole "banality of evil" trope, but I think the way this film explores that topic is actually somewhat refreshing. The sound design is absolutely critical to the movie, as for most of it we hear the activities in the camp, often randomly and interspersed with the mundane actions of the Nazi family, and it effectively illustrates how they had become accustomed to it. That said, I think the third act loses this critical component when the officer goes to reassignment away from his house and is less interesting as a result. I also felt the flash forward to the present day was a bit hokey and unnecessary. The ending scene overall is very well shot though.

I also suspect as a Jewish communist, I have some rather strong disagreements with Glazer on the circumstances of the Holocaust. But you know what they say, two Jews, three opinions.

Definitely want to listen to the soundtrack later, but maybe will give it a few days to be a little less freshly disturbing.

The sound design is absolutely critical to the movie, as for most of it we hear the activities in the camp, often randomly and interspersed with the mundane actions of the Nazi family, and it effectively illustrates how they had become accustomed to it. That said, I think the third act loses this critical component when the officer goes to reassignment away from his house and is less interesting as a result.
I understand what you mean, but I welcomed the third act with open arms because by that point I really started to get... I wouldn't say bored, but like I understood what he wanted to say with the juxtaposition of their mundane life and the horror of the noise in the camp. I think the director has this really good and impactful idea, but unfortunately it ends up being a bit repetitive.

I understand what you mean, but I welcomed the third act with open arms because by that point I really started to get... I wouldn't say bored, but like I understood what he wanted to say with the juxtaposition of their mundane life and the horror of the noise in the camp. I think the director has this really good and impactful idea, but unfortunately it ends up being a bit repetitive.
I can see that angle. I’m just glad the movie was relatively short. Definitely would run the risk of being drawn out if it was any longer.

10 Things I Hate About You

I thought I had already seen this movie for the longest time. Turns out I was thinking of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and this was completely new to me.

I don’t generally go for romcoms, but this was actually a lot of fun! It also might be the most 90’s movie I’ve ever seen, but I kinda dug that.

I thought I had already seen this movie for the longest time. Turns out I was thinking of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and this was completely new to me.

I don’t generally go for romcoms, but this was actually a lot of fun! It also might be the most 90’s movie I’ve ever seen, but I kinda dug that.
I actually just listened to a podcast a few days ago where Larisa Oleynik talked about her experience on this movie a little bit, funny timing.

I remember being really surprised by how fun it was, as I wasn't into romcoms at the time it came out. I look back on it pretty fondly. Loved the cast.

Part of that weird little Shakespeare for Teens period in Hollywood! Charming movie.

The Spotify algorithm that puts me "Under Pressure" right after "Losing my Religion"

mqdefault.jpg

I saw Zone of Interest with my SO. She thought it was great but I didn’t find it so effective, apart from a few moments. It’s all situation with no dramatic story to speak of. Following the lives of these awful people was a bit boring after a while.

Oh, I missed the Oscars discussion! Here's my thoughts on some of the films summarized:
  • Past Lives was excellent, and in a just world it would win Best Picture (and Best Actress and Best Director, neither of which it was nominated for). A really lovely film.
  • Poor Things was my next favorite of the BP noms. I wasn't a fan of the overuse of fisheye lens but loved it otherwise, I was laughing the whole time.
  • Oppenheimer was overall very good. However, despite being 3 hours long, the first hour felt very rushed and poorly paced. I think they honestly could have cut everything before the Manhattan project started, and thrown in a flashback or two for a bit of extra context. Also, I love Emily Blunt but I don't really understand what she was nominated for. She wasn't given much to do.
  • Barbie was my next favorite of the bunch. It was a fun time with excellent performances, music, and general vibes. I agree that Greta Gerwig not being nominated was a bit of a snub, but the discourse around that is getting a bit irritating.
  • Finally, The Holdovers. A fine little movie that I enjoyed quite a bit, but it's a movie that you've seen variations on a thousand times before and no one will remember at all in a year. This is the kind of movie the Academy loves but tends to be overrepresented in these races.
Those are all the Best Picture nominations I've seen. I'd still like to see Anatomy of a Fall, Killers of the Flower Moon and American Fiction. Not really interested in Maestro, and only recently heard of The Zone of Interest.
Quick update to this list: I saw Killers of the Flower Moon. Easily last place of the bunch. I hated that movie, holy shit.

Marty, if you're feeling self-conscious about your perspective, maybe let someone else tell the story?

Saw All of Us Strangers. What a beautiful slow burner it was. As @rêverie described, I really felt all the loneliness and melancholia during the movie but it didn't make me cry, it was more depressing. But then I took the train to go home and there launched The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (which is featured in the movie) and every feeling repressed watching it hit me all at the same time and transformed me into the crazy person crying in a train. It's definitely not for everyone since it's slow and pretty vibes-based (you can definitely tell it was based on a Japanese book) but if you're queer and/or have issues with your parents, it's definitely worth a watch.

Saw All of Us Strangers. What a beautiful slow burner it was. As @rêverie described, I really felt all the loneliness and melancholia during the movie but it didn't make me cry, it was more depressing. But then I took the train to go home and there launched The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (which is featured in the movie) and every feeling repressed watching it hit me all at the same time and transformed me into the crazy person crying in a train. It's definitely not for everyone since it's slow and pretty vibes-based (you can definitely tell it was based on a Japanese book) but if you're queer and/or have issues with your parents, it's definitely worth a watch.
it was such an incredibly crushing experience haha.

this reminds me that i saw The Zone of Interest. what an incredibly well done movie. obviously holocaust themes have been done so many times, but this truly felt like such an insane and different approach. it got me thinking and turned my stomach. not to mention the beautiful cinematography and cool, experimental editing style!

90-94 range/100.

Somebody posted a twitch stream of a bootleg theater recording of Madame Web and I watched it for the bit. God damn this movie is dogshit.
Sony employee: Should we have this bootleg video taken down?

Sony exec: No, at least a few people are actually watching it now.

Netflix just uploaded the entire Nimona movie on YouTube. Its my favorite movie from last year, it does deal with a lot of heavy themes as a heads up.

The Iron Claw was very good. Some pacing problems (I would've preferred the first part to be shorter and the second part to be longer), but the actors were all excellent, it is quite beautifully directed, and the ending was great. Also it hit very close to home for me, probably the better film showing what it is to be the eldest kid in a dysfunctional family. Zac Efron was so robbed of a Oscar nom, it's ridiculous.

Oh, I missed the Oscars discussion! Here's my thoughts on some of the films summarized:
  • Past Lives was excellent, and in a just world it would win Best Picture (and Best Actress and Best Director, neither of which it was nominated for). A really lovely film.
  • Poor Things was my next favorite of the BP noms. I wasn't a fan of the overuse of fisheye lens but loved it otherwise, I was laughing the whole time.
  • Oppenheimer was overall very good. However, despite being 3 hours long, the first hour felt very rushed and poorly paced. I think they honestly could have cut everything before the Manhattan project started, and thrown in a flashback or two for a bit of extra context. Also, I love Emily Blunt but I don't really understand what she was nominated for. She wasn't given much to do.
  • Barbie was my next favorite of the bunch. It was a fun time with excellent performances, music, and general vibes. I agree that Greta Gerwig not being nominated was a bit of a snub, but the discourse around that is getting a bit irritating.
  • Finally, The Holdovers. A fine little movie that I enjoyed quite a bit, but it's a movie that you've seen variations on a thousand times before and no one will remember at all in a year. This is the kind of movie the Academy loves but tends to be overrepresented in these races.
Those are all the Best Picture nominations I've seen. I'd still like to see Anatomy of a Fall, Killers of the Flower Moon and American Fiction. Not really interested in Maestro, and only recently heard of The Zone of Interest.
Quick update to this list: I saw Killers of the Flower Moon. Easily last place of the bunch. I hated that movie, holy shit.

Marty, if you're feeling self-conscious about your perspective, maybe let someone else tell the story?
Update to the update: I saw American Fiction last night. Fantastic film. Funny, thought-provoking, well-written and acted. At the end of the film, some of the white people in the audience clapped, and my wife and I couldn't help but marvel over how thoroughly they'd missed the point of the film.

I think I'd put it slightly above Oppenheimer in my rankings. For those of you keeping track - that's none of you, I imagine! - that makes my rankings:

Past Lives > Poor Things > American Fiction > Oppenheimer > Barbie > The Holdovers >>>>>> Killers of the Flower Moon

I watch a movie maybe every two months, and this time it was Tokyo Drifter. What a picture! Still humming the theme song.

I now understand Quentin Tarantino's early career. He's was thinking, "If Seijun Suzuki could make an extremely mannered gangster movie that works on an emotional level even though the characters are barely sketches and the plot is pointlessly convoluted, so can I." And I'm no hater, I think he generally pulled it off, but he's trying way harder. Suzuki makes it look easy.

I watch a movie maybe every two months, and this time it was Tokyo Drifter. What a picture! Still humming the theme song.

I now understand Quentin Tarantino's early career. He's was thinking, "If Seijun Suzuki could make an extremely mannered gangster movie that works on an emotional level even though the characters are barely sketches and the plot is pointlessly convoluted, so can I." And I'm no hater, I think he generally pulled it off, but he's trying way harder. Suzuki makes it look easy.
So many cool colors in that one. And yeag banger theme song.

Tokyo nagare mono!

Saw the theatrical release of FFVII Advent Children. Movie still ain't great, but it's fun seeing those fights in a theater
I actually teared up a bit when Jenova's theme started. Just for the significance of where it was happening. Was a long time coming.

Okay time for a rapidfire recap!

The Color Purple (1985), good enough, but kinda shocking how casually it treats its opening scenes, there's a humor to this thing or a relative casual feel for some scenes that deal with pretty heavy subject matter.

The Last Duel (2021), that one tho, woa, it's so freaking intense that I felt myself skipping some seconds (hard to see a r*pe scene twice and pretending indifference heh). Pretty effective movie.

Matchstick Men (2003), the rare comedy by Ridley Scott, which is pretty freaking heartwarming and despite its heartbreaking twist, manages to use those last 10 minutes so wisely it wins you back.

Blade Runner (1986), looks great, but there's barely emotional ground in here? I didn't love it.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017), it looks AMAZING, and it has some genuinely interesting and emotional moments and interesting themes. I still didn't love it, but that may be due to watching it after the first movie without a breather. Better than the OG still.

The Duellists (1977). Good movie. What can I say? Apparently this has one of the more accurate representations of swordfighting in movies, and I love swordfighting.

Gladiator - Extended Cut (20??). What a magnificent movie. It looks like it has choppy editing at times (and very messy action shots in the opening action scene), but man, the characters, the story, the dialogue, how it looks... Crowe... Phoenix... Hounsou... Reed... Now we are free. I will see you again. But not yet. Not yet.

The Insider (1999). Great movie. Al Pacino great as always.

The Last of the Mohicans - Directors Cut (199?) - It's good. It also has one of the most dreadful 30 last minutes in a blockbuster. Amazing cinematography. The siege night attack is such a mood, the action is on point. Somebody cooked here. A GentleMann cooked here.

Collateral (2004) - Amazing movie. Two big winning points for me: -how emotional and melancholic it is -the antagonist working together and connecting with the protagonist and mentoring him.

Godzilla Minus One (2023) - Such an unapologetic celebration of life.

Last edited:
Blade Runner (1986), looks great, but there's barely emotional ground in here? I didn't love it.
You're right but you shouldn't...
Collateral (2004) - Amazing movie. Two big winning points for me: -how emotional and melancholic it is -the antagonist working together and connecting with the protagonist and mentoring him.
"A guy gets on the MTA here and dies. You think anybody'll notice?"

As someone from the Los Angeles area, Collateral nails more than any other movie I can think of the atmosphere of driving in LA at night, and how lonely it can feel.

Fantastic movie and a rare chance for Cruise to play something entirely different from usual.

So what's the deal with movies coming to streaming for purchase-only now? I wanted to try and run through some of the Oscar nominated movies before next month and I've been waiting for Poor Things and American Fiction to come to streaming and now they've finally hit Prime Video but only as full $20 purchases? No $5 rental option like movies normally get? And they aren't on any other streaming services? What in the absolute hell?? 😩

Just watched Zone of Interest last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it sure was uncomfortable, which is the point of the whole thing. Yet, I can't help but feel the movie makes its point in about 15 minutes or so, and then proceeds to repeat it for the rest of its running time without bringing anything new to the table. So it gets dull realy fast in my opinion.

I think it would have either worked better as a short or if Glazer made things get increasingly more disturbing as the movie went on, with the central characters showing their indifference repeatedly as the horror escalated and leaked more and more into their daily lives.

As it stands, though, I thought it was an overall boring movie.

And since I'm on a roll with hot takes and just saw Blade Runner being mentioned, I will go ahead and say the sequel is one of the best movies of all time and easily better than the already great original.

Criterion's online flash sale is over in ~4 hours! 50% off everything in stock. Here's a $10 off code if anyone could use it:

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Just watched Zone of Interest last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it sure was uncomfortable, which is the point of the whole thing. Yet, I can't help but feel the movie makes its point in about 15 minutes or so, and then proceeds to repeat it for the rest of its running time without bringing anything new to the table. So it gets dull realy fast in my opinion.

I think it would have either worked better as a short or if Glazer made things get increasingly more disturbing as the movie went on, with the central characters showing their indifference repeatedly as the horror escalated and leaked more and more into their daily lives.

As it stands, though, I thought it was an overall boring movie.

And since I'm on a roll with hot takes and just saw Blade Runner being mentioned, I will go ahead and say the sequel is one of the best movies of all time and easily better than the already great original.
right.jpg

Dune Part Two (2024)

Features the most well-written descent from benevolent hero to future tyrant I've ever seen put on film. Also one of the greatest-looking movies I've ever seen, probably top five (if cinematographer Greig Fraiser doesn't win an Oscar for this, then the Academy doesn't do her job properly anymore). Chamalet's performance turns back about every stone (the benevolent and well-meaning man, the lover, the vengeful son, the ruthless war leader). Feyd is a formidable force of nature and they do a good job of building him up as a counterpart to Paul.

Watched The Boy and The Heron last night. I love Ghibli and Miyazaki, but this one was a mixed bag for me.

Great animation and stunning soundtrack, but its fantasy elements were so convoluted and confusing that, personally, I was so busy trying to figure stuff out that I lost connection to the emotional core of the movie, which is the part Miyazaki and the studio usually nail spectacularly.

I mean, I know Ghibli's works usually have some surreal or unnatural things that go unexplained, and you're supposed to just go with it, but here there's so much fantastic and delightfully weird stuff going on that it ends up being excessive. The movie jumps from one situation to the next one (introducing characters left and right) so quickly you end up feeling dizzy.

I can't help but feel a more focused approach would've done this movie a lot of good. Overall, it was good, but way too convoluted.

Watched The Boy and The Heron last night. I love Ghibli and Miyazaki, but this one was a mixed bag for me.

Great animation and stunning soundtrack, but its fantasy elements were so convoluted and confusing that, personally, I was so busy trying to figure stuff out that I lost connection to the emotional core of the movie, which is the part Miyazaki and the studio usually nail spectacularly.

I mean, I know Ghibli's works usually have some surreal or unnatural things that go unexplained, and you're supposed to just go with it, but here there's so much fantastic and delightfully weird stuff going on that it ends up being excessive. The movie jumps from one situation to the next one (introducing characters left and right) so quickly you end up feeling dizzy.

I can't help but feel a more focused approach would've done this movie a lot of good. Overall, it was good, but way too convoluted.

The more I thought about it, the more it grew on me. Projecting too much biographical details onto a movie can get you into trouble, but Great Uncle = Takahata made the movie resonate a lot more for me. I'm not sure it's in my top 3 Miyazaki, but it's in my top 5.

I wasn't particularly interested in wringing a coherent world out of the individual elements. The spirits of the unborn live in this world, but also, it's a pocket dimension maintained by an old wizard that's kept afloat with a magical Jenga set? Sure! Whatever. But the metaphors were so damn potent.

It helps that Porco Rosso is my favorite Miyazaki, a move where the magic is metaphor and nothing more.

I'd recommend a rewatch, now knowing that he isn't going to bother to explain anything other than the inner lives of the characters.

Last edited:
The Shawshank Redemption (1994).

Morgan Freeman's performance and voice in this is so great. This is also a great undertaking of the prison system and what it does to people that have been "institutionalized" by it. Granted I didn't expect the warden to go full villain but dang they made me want him to go down so badly...

I finally, finally watched Dune Part One! It was great. Hoping to catch Part 2 this weekend.

vOB3XHE.jpeg

I also watched I Bury The Living (pictured above) and The Incredible Petrified World on Cult Cinema Classics, and had a great time with both! If you don't already, I couldn't recommend following them more. Tons of movies already there, live premieres so you can chat along, and B&W and colourized versions of films in several cases!

Back
Top Bottom