• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

today I watched the 2005 classic "EGG". you know, the movie about a woman who sees an egg sitting in a red void every time she closes her eyes. and then it starts to hatch on her 20th birthday, and who knows what could happen next. and also her job is "debugging," which is a process where you watch 1s and 0s slide down the computer screen and get rid of any stray 2s that have found their way into the code. we've all seen the movie, right? it's EGG. a classic

j0p2ag6c629o.jpg

anyway it's great, very funny and distressing and strange, i recommend it

today I watched the 2005 classic "EGG". you know, the movie about a woman who sees an egg sitting in a red void every time she closes her eyes. and then it starts to hatch on her 20th birthday, and who knows what could happen next. and also her job is "debugging," which is a process where you watch 1s and 0s slide down the computer screen and get rid of any stray 2s that have found their way into the code. we've all seen the movie, right? it's EGG. a classic

j0p2ag6c629o.jpg

This sounds very interesting and also that poster looks like a fake movie poster from a video game. Added to watchlist.

The eggs in her eyes...

Last edited:

j0p2ag6c629o.jpg

This sounds incredibly weird and cool, I'm gonna check it out. "The eggs in her eyes" lmao... What did they mean by this...

I have challenged myself to watch 100 movies this year, and so far I have seen (some rewatches, but mostly new):

Castle in the Sky
Under the Skin
Poor Things
Super Mario Bros. (1993)
RRR

Of these, the one that is most interesting to talk about is Under the Skin (2013), a movie that I like to describe as, "beautiful, haunting, sad, suspenseful and mesmerizing in its quietness." It is a very difficult movie to recommend to just anybody; it's a slow, methodical movie that had my eyes glued to the screen the entire time, but I can see a person bouncing off of it very hard if they aren't prepared for something with this kind of pacing. It is a movie that asks a lot of questions to the viewer, but provides fewer answers than I expect some people will find satisfactory. There are mature themes that I can see being a point of contention or friction for some people. There is one shot in the movie that was so suddenly chilling that it had me pause and go get a snack, just to digest what it was I'd just seen. As I said, it's got a lot of stuff that makes it hard to recommend to just anybody.

What you get out of it is a movie that asks you a lot about yourself. Your interpretation of the film, and the ultimate message of it, could be entirely different than somebody else, and I think its particular flavor of existential horror is one that asks you to look inward at yourself and draw your own conclusions. I came out of it with a positive message; I have seen others feel the opposite.

I would also recommend watching it with subtitles turned on, unless you are particularly good at parsing thick Scottish accents.

AMC is b-b-b-based. They're giving the Best Picture nominees another run, so I just got tickets to see Past Lives and Anatomy of a Fall. Somehow, heartbreak feels good in a place like this.

AMC is b-b-b-based. They're giving the Best Picture nominees another run, so I just got tickets to see Past Lives and Anatomy of a Fall. Somehow, heartbreak feels good in a place like this.
My local theater is only granting a second run to all the Disney/Pixar animated films that went straight to streaming during the pandemic. Far less based.

But they have been releasing some Japanese movies subtitled lately, so... based in a different direction? 🤔

My local theater is only granting a second run to all the Disney/Pixar animated films that went straight to streaming during the pandemic. Far less based.

But they have been releasing some Japanese movies subtitled lately, so... based in a different direction? 🤔
My closest theater isn't doing either 🙃

Well, that's Godzilla Minus One Minus Color down! This was my third time watching Minus One, and I'm comfortable leaving it be now. It really is a humane and resonant story about a man overcoming the weight of his guilt and finding renewed purpose in life. Committed to its core themes, there are indeed no casualties in the final battle against Godzilla. The film's climax is unforgettable largely because you know Shikishima is willing to die to avenge Noriko and the men that perished on the island, atone for past sins, and fulfill what he feels is his purpose... but also because of that music. 🔥

With the movie's overwhelming critical and commercial success, and Takashi Yamazaki up for doing another, a sequel seems all but assured. I wonder what 2024 movies I'll end up liking enough to shill.

Nicole Kidman have anything on the docket?
I'm seeing Argylle this week! AMC's been spamming the everliving crap out of the trailer before each movie, and it feels like I've been subjected to it a dozen times now, so I guess they've managed to reel me in. I ended up having to cancel my ticket to Past Lives the other day, so I'll just rent it at home instead. I'm seeing Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest on the 31st, so I'll soon have seen all the Best Picture nominees except Maestro (which I can't muster any interest in).

One that immediately comes to mind for later in 2024 is Alien: Romulus. 👀 I'm admittedly somewhat of a fraud Alien fan though, since I've only seen the first one (which is phenomenal!) and Prometheus (which isn't!), and played Isolation (great game). I'm planning on finally watching Aliens sometime this year, and I guess then I'll decide whether I want to proceed beyond that, since it seems like most of the sequels range from mid, to outright bad. I'm intrigued by Romulus, since it's apparently largely disconnected from the others. Could result in something new and interesting, so fingers crossed.

I'm probably not gonna bother with cold Ghostbusters, not even for the meme (I'm sorry, Clov, Phos, and Podcast!) Putting aside the fact that it looks like schytt, I've just never been a Ghostbusters guy. I watched the first two when I was a kid, and they didn't leave an impression on me. I wonder how I'd feel if I were to rewatch 'em today.

Ok, this post is getting kinda long, so I'll just list off a few more movies I plan on seeing: Lisa Frankenstein, Drive-Away Dolls, Love Lies Bleeding. Probably others I'm forgetting.

Last, but not least: I've seen the Perfect Days trailer like three times at Kidman's house, and it's been one I've been wanting to check out. It looks like it's finally coming to the US in just over a week!

I'm seeing Argylle this week! AMC's been spamming the everliving crap out of the trailer before each movie, and it feels like I've been subjected to it a dozen times now, so I guess they've managed to reel me in. I ended up having to cancel my ticket to Past Lives the other day, so I'll just rent it at home instead. I'm seeing Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest on the 31st, so I'll soon have seen all the Best Picture nominees except Maestro (which I can't muster any interest in).

One that immediately comes to mind for later in 2024 is Alien: Romulus. 👀 I'm admittedly somewhat of a fraud Alien fan though, since I've only seen the first one (which is phenomenal!) and Prometheus (which isn't!), and played Isolation (great game). I'm planning on finally watching Aliens sometime this year, and I guess then I'll decide whether I want to proceed beyond that, since it seems like most of the sequels range from mid, to outright bad. I'm intrigued by Romulus, since it's apparently largely disconnected from the others. Could result in something new and interesting, so fingers crossed.

I'm probably not gonna bother with cold Ghostbusters, not even for the meme (I'm sorry, Clov, Phos, and Podcast!) Putting aside the fact that it looks like schytt, I've just never been a Ghostbusters guy. I watched the first two when I was a kid, and they didn't leave an impression on me. I wonder how I'd feel if I were to rewatch 'em today.

Ok, this post is getting kinda long, so I'll just list off a few more movies I plan on seeing: Lisa Frankenstein, Drive-Away Dolls, Love Lies Bleeding. Probably others I'm forgetting.

Last, but not least: I've seen the Perfect Days trailer like three times at Kidman's house, and it's been one I've been wanting to check out. It looks like it's finally coming to the US in just over a week!

I started going to the movies again for the first time since the pandemic in the fall and want to go more this year. You’ve seen the best Alien movie and played the best Alien game, so I think you’re doing alright! I think maybe Isolation is the scariest game I’ve ever played? Going through that infested AI core was torture. At one point my brother was like “You should try it in VR.” Nope!

You should watch Aliens, it’s great. Paul Reiser is the biggest piece of shit ever. Bill Paxton gives maybe the best performance of his career:

218FinO.gif

As someone with fairly intense claustrophobia (ask me about the time I was stuck in an elevator!) it has one of the most excruciating shots I’ve ever seen in a movie — in a good way!

Cold Ghostbusters looks like an absolute trash bag (I’d give that first reboot 1/5 bags of popcorn) but I don’t think I have the heart to let @Phosphorescent Skeleton and @Clov down. The big movie chain in my area does “VIP” tickets where you get to sit in a big recliner and have appetizers and cocktails ordered to your seat and other bullshit. Never done it before…thought it might be the right way to experience (survive?) CG. Maybe I’ll wear just a t-shirt so that I’m a little chilly the whole time.

One of the last cool independent theatres in my area does “Drunken Cinema” nights where they give you glow-sticks, serve booze straight to your table and encourage you to be a jerk. They’re doing The Wedding Singer soon, might have to jump on that.

v5gGlEs.gif

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition
I have not seen the theatrical cuts of this trilogy since I was a kid. A kid, which was, at the time, very unfamiliar with things such as analyzing/reviewing movies.
Watching this as an adult, this first part and specifically the extended version (which I've been recommended). Here's two indications I have in mind.
-The beginning in the Shire is quite slower (I think that's where the bulk of the new content is?) it mostly adds to Bilbo's character arc.
-The rest is, arguably, the greatest and most epic adventure movie of all time. There is so much blood-pumping in the direction, the character arcs, the cinematography, the locations. It's the most special movie I've ever seen in my life.

There are of course priorities right now preventing that, but I'm very eager to watch the rest of the extendeds.

Last edited:
I just watched Past Lives. I felt so many feelings, Fami.

I think my ranking of Best Picture nominees right now is:

Oppenheimer
Past Lives
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Barbie
Maestro

I'll probably catch Anatomy of a Fall and Poor Creatures within the next week. So let's see how they'll stack up.

EDIT: I just realized Past Lives only got nominated for two awards. Excuse me?!

Last edited:
Bit bizarre that ASTV, which is a crowning achievement for animation, but also definitely could've been in contention for Best Score, to get the usual Best Animated Feature nomination and nothing else. The line-up they got this year makes me even question if it'll get that Oscar XD.

Thinking about how good Bill Paxton is in Aliens got me thinking about another Paxton-Cameron collaboration, Titanic!

The first is the alternate ending, which you simply must see if you haven’t already:

Every time I watch that is like the first time lmao. I can’t believe that wasn’t shot for like SNL or something. Titanic would have been a better film if it had ended with Bill Paxton…freeing himself from the expectations of permanence? Absolutely losing it? Either way: good ending.

If you told me they shot this after someone spiked a crew dinner with PCP and the better part of 100 people tripped balls in a Dartmouth, Nova Scotia hospital, I’d believe it:

https://www.vulture.com/2022/12/25-years-later-no-one-knows-who-spiked-the-titanic-chowder.html
Within an hour, the “bad crew” group had grown bigger. As sober personnel attempted to keep the situation under control, the intoxicated bunch, which included Cameron and actor Bill Paxton, flooded into nearby Dartmouth General Hospital. Some were freaking out. Others were having a ball. “Bill Paxton was a real sweetie,” says Claude Roussel, a set decorator who was less stoned than some of his colleagues. “He was sitting next to me in the hallway of the hospital, and he was kind of enjoying the buzz. Meanwhile, grips were going down the hallway doing wheelies in wheelchairs.” Nurses distributed liquid charcoal, hoping to safeguard against what they initially thought was food poisoning. One person who’d consumed four bowls was there until 10:00 the next morning, according to Clarke, whose shellfish allergy kept him away from the chowder.

BILL. ❤️

Oh, I missed the Oscars discussion! Here's my thoughts on some of the films summarized:
  • Past Lives was excellent, and in a just world it would win Best Picture (and Best Actress and Best Director, neither of which it was nominated for). A really lovely film.
  • Poor Things was my next favorite of the BP noms. I wasn't a fan of the overuse of fisheye lens but loved it otherwise, I was laughing the whole time.
  • Oppenheimer was overall very good. However, despite being 3 hours long, the first hour felt very rushed and poorly paced. I think they honestly could have cut everything before the Manhattan project started, and thrown in a flashback or two for a bit of extra context. Also, I love Emily Blunt but I don't really understand what she was nominated for. She wasn't given much to do.
  • Barbie was my next favorite of the bunch. It was a fun time with excellent performances, music, and general vibes. I agree that Greta Gerwig not being nominated was a bit of a snub, but the discourse around that is getting a bit irritating.
  • Finally, The Holdovers. A fine little movie that I enjoyed quite a bit, but it's a movie that you've seen variations on a thousand times before and no one will remember at all in a year. This is the kind of movie the Academy loves but tends to be overrepresented in these races.
Those are all the Best Picture nominations I've seen. I'd still like to see Anatomy of a Fall, Killers of the Flower Moon and American Fiction. Not really interested in Maestro, and only recently heard of The Zone of Interest.

Life comes at ya fast! 😢 I sprained and fractured my ankle early in the morning yesterday, so they put me in a splint, and I'm just gonna focus on recovery for the next few weeks. I know sitting in a movie theater and watching a movie is a passive activity, but I still cancelled tomorrow's tickets to Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest. I wanna minimize having to go anywhere with crutches, since I think they're a bit of a pain in the arse! I guess now I'll have to wait to find out who the real Agent Argylle is...

It's a real shame, 'cuz going to the movies has been keeping me sane these past few months! Definitely hoping I can make a swift recovery. I just gotta pray to Kidman and Trust The Process. 🙏
Finally, The Holdovers. A fine little movie that I enjoyed quite a bit, but it's a movie that you've seen variations on a thousand times before and no one will remember at all in a year. This is the kind of movie the Academy loves but tends to be overrepresented in these races.
Yeah, you're likely right about this in a general sense, which is fair enough. Personally, The Holdovers ended up entering my all-time faves, and made for one of the most enjoyable, most resonant filmgoing experiences I've had in a long time, which was totally unexpected. The past few months have been pretty tough for me, and I think a huge part of the appeal is the film's sincere, unpretentious exploration of loneliness during the holiday season, alongside the warmth the trio shows each other, despite not "choosing" their shared circumstances.

"Grumpy, yet caring teacher plus rebellious, pained student" is indeed a formula that's been featured a million times, but it's the execution that elevates it for me. You're allowed to be cliché as long as you get people invested, is my line of thought.

Nice impressions on the other movies too! I'm excited to watch Past Lives within the next few days. I hope you enjoy American Fiction. I caught it a week ago, and it was more heartfelt and character-based than I was expecting, so I was pleasantly surprised. As for Maestro, it'll probably end up as the only Best Picture nominee I don't care to watch. Yawny Oscar bait vibes.

I really need to do an Oscar marathon soon. My theater missed American Fiction, The Holdovers, Past Lives, and Poor Things. Might see where they're streaming and just do one per night or something.

Also damn, @Aurc!! Hope you have a speedy recovery so you can get back to speeding to the theater!

Saw American Fiction today.
lost my shit when I noticed the business woman making the initial offer for the book had ruth bader ginsberg posters behind her
Life comes at ya fast! 😢 I sprained and fractured my ankle early in the morning yesterday, so they put me in a splint, and I'm just gonna focus on recovery for the next few weeks. I know sitting in a movie theater and watching a movie is a passive activity, but I still cancelled tomorrow's tickets to Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest. I wanna minimize having to go anywhere with crutches, since I think they're a bit of a pain in the arse! I guess now I'll have to wait to find out who the real Agent Argylle is...

It's a real shame, 'cuz going to the movies has been keeping me sane these past few months! Definitely hoping I can make a swift recovery. I just gotta pray to Kidman and Trust The Process. 🙏

Yeah, you're likely right about this in a general sense, which is fair enough. Personally, The Holdovers ended up entering my all-time faves, and made for one of the most enjoyable, most resonant filmgoing experiences I've had in a long time, which was totally unexpected. The past few months have been pretty tough for me, and I think a huge part of the appeal is the film's sincere, unpretentious exploration of loneliness during the holiday season, alongside the warmth the trio shows each other, despite not "choosing" their shared circumstances.

"Grumpy, yet caring teacher plus rebellious, pained student" is indeed a formula that's been featured a million times, but it's the execution that elevates it for me. You're allowed to be cliché as long as you get people invested, is my line of thought.

Nice impressions on the other movies too! I'm excited to watch Past Lives within the next few days. I hope you enjoy American Fiction. I caught it a week ago, and it was more heartfelt and character-based than I was expecting, so I was pleasantly surprised. As for Maestro, it'll probably end up as the only Best Picture nominee I don't care to watch. Yawny Oscar bait vibes.
Hope you heal up quickly!

I really need to do an Oscar marathon soon. My theater missed American Fiction, The Holdovers, Past Lives, and Poor Things. Might see where they're streaming and just do one per night or something.
Alright, just started Past Lives. See yall on the other side.

Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers - Extended

Mhm. This wasn't as good as Fellowship for sure. The Gollum storyline isn't very interesting, especially early on. I kept wanting them to cut back to the Fellowship.
The Tree storyline also takes kind of a long time altho payoff good. This adds more to Boromir's character in a welcome way tho.

Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers - Extended

Mhm. This wasn't as good as Fellowship for sure. The Gollum storyline isn't very interesting, especially early on. I kept wanting them to cut back to the Fellowship.
The Tree storyline also takes kind of a long time altho payoff good. This adds more to Boromir's character in a welcome way tho.
I don’t really like the theatrical cut, but the Extended rescues it for me. Still my least favorite of the three.

You hooked me in! Now I need the full review 😂
Ok ok.

So this movie starts alright with an interesting premise. The idea of having this author writing books that somehow reflect or alter reality (like the trailer might suggests) is very intriguing. Also the main characters really are top picks.

Unfortunately this is just not really what this film is about. Already in the first half hour you discover that the whole concept is just show, hot air so to speak to cover up that this is some mediocre mess of a film that wants to sell you the feeling you might had when watching the first Kingsman (by somehow completely missing what made it good in the first place). This is a product targeted to a specific set of viewers I am hoping not really exists. Especially the last act is just the worst. Light Spoiler: At the end they even try to connect it with Kingsman to build up a Cinematic Universe or something?

If this is what Mainstream Original Films of Today look like, then I don‘t know. Even Fast&Furious Movies have more depth.

I don‘t want to sound pretentious and I don’t think that films should be only high art. But at least if a movie only relies on being a marketable product, hide it better, I mean you have the money. You don‘t even need to fix the badly animated cat, as far as I‘m concerned it could be a cardboard cutout. Just give me a tiny bit more stakes so that I can care at least a little bit about the story or the fate of the characters.

Maybe I‘m getting too worked up about it, but honestly this film just makes me angry for some reason.

Last edited:
Tonight I watched Top Secret!, which is the only ZAZ movie I never saw (and didn’t know existed until like two days ago). Might be their best one. I was laughing out loud from beginning to end, Val Kilmer is incredibly charming, and it’s also a lot less racist than Airplane! (a movie I like but who aged a lot in some aspects) because the gags are much more visual. So, if you never saw it and need to laugh a bit, cannot recommend this one enough.

Recently watched Saltburn, The Green Knight, and The Holdovers. I enjoyed each of them. Don't really have much else to say about them though unless prompted to do so.

Watched The Two Towers extended edition again. It was okay. The LotR movies though are weird for me. The theatricals get progressively worse for me, while the extended editions get progressively better compared to their theatrical counterpart. The theatrical of Fellowship is still the best one by far out of any of them. As far as the books go, they get progressively better as they go.

Watched Poor Things a couple of days ago, and that was quite a trip. It's a fun and funny movie that can also be weird and discomforting.

I feel Stone is easily going to walk away with the Best Actress award. I think Greta Lee could've given her a run for her money, but she wasn't even nominated, so....

Watched Blackberry and Our RoboCop Remake last night.

Blackberry was like two hours of

broken by Glenn Howerton freak outs and meltdowns. Good movie

putting a nsfw tag for Our RoboCop Remake

The take on the famous 'RoboCop stopping a rape' scene is one of the insane and NSFW things I've ever seen. Was fucking dying during it.

Rest of the movie varies wildly in quality, just because of how the project is. Some scenes feel like professional work, or really inventive, others are literally done by high schoolers in their shop classroom haha

Did we... know about this?

Because I don't think we did. There was that live action announcement from some time back, but I certainly don't remember Moana 2 being announced at any point.

Did we... know about this?

Because I don't think we did. There was that live action announcement from some time back, but I certainly don't remember Moana 2 being announced at any point.
I was under the assumption this was a bye year for WDAS. Really impressive they kept this from leaking somehow

I was under the assumption this was a bye year for WDAS. Really impressive they kept this from leaking somehow
They announced in 2020 that a Moana series was in development at WDAS. It was supposed to come out in 2023 but was delayed to this year, but now I would assume this is what has become of it? Very strange. Also seems like Lin-Manuel Miranda isn’t the songwriter for this sequel (still a musical though). More info about this here
I adored the first one, but I’m a bit worried for this one as the director is different too. At the very least I expect it to be gorgeous visually (like its prequel)

Back
Top Bottom