• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

It's like how Henry Ford was an abusive, Nazi-sympathizing shitstain who stole the assembly line idea from Oldsmobile, but on the bright side he popularized the automobile for the common folk to a point where everyone caught on and started doing it.

I'm never gonna touch a Tesla but the silver lining is they got the industry's ass in gear for true electric.

Now if only we could solve all the problems surrounding the batteries.

And we also need to solve the problem that’s caused by Tesla’s nationwide network of proprietary car chargers that only work for Tesla cars.
After the Apple-must-use-standardised-USB ruling I genuinely expect the Tesla version of that issue to not be a problem for long. 👍

Elon sure is providing a nice source of comedy.
Although it's already getting dry and should end.

There any way for him to get fired/removed from being Twitter CEO? :d

but on the bright side he popularized the automobile for the common folk to a point where everyone caught on and started doing it.
but on the bright side
the bright side
Very hot take: Had Ford failed to popularize the automobile, a lot of today's problems wouldn't exist.

I'm not saying... but I'm just sayin'.

(leaves Soapbox to go somewhere else)

comes back

e-hem... on the subject of the... matter at hand:

TechCrunch: Is Elon Musk’s Twitter about to fall out of the GDPR’s one-stop shop?

Helmed by erratic new owner Elon Musk, Twitter is no longer fulfilling key obligations required for it to claim Ireland as its so-called main establishment under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), a source familiar with the matter has told TechCrunch.

Our source, who is well placed, requested and was granted anonymity owing to the sensitivity of the issue — which could have major ramifications for Twitter and for Musk.

Like many major tech firms with customers across the European Union, Twitter currently avails itself of a mechanism in the GDPR known as the one-stop shop (OSS). This is beneficial because it allows the company to streamline regulatory administration by being able to engage exclusively with a lead data supervisor in the EU Member State where it is “main established” (in Twitter’s case, Ireland), rather than having to accept inbound from data protection authorities across the bloc.

However, under Musk’s chaotic reign — which has already seen a fast and deep downsizing of Twitter’s headcount, kicking off with layoffs of 50% of staff earlier this month — questions are being asked over whether its main establishment status in Ireland for the GDPR still holds or not.

Oh boy.

Last edited:
Every day Twitter looks more and more like the Trump White House with the way Elon is running things

Truth be told, there is a high likelyhood this will all blow over eventually and the platform will continue to be sustainable by some means. Once the shitstorm has died down and he backtracked on some of his most stupid decisions, most companies will be back to advertise as well.

But the dream is too sweet to not savour evey last drop of this hilarious roller coaster.

Truth be told, there is a high likelyhood this will all blow over eventually and the platform will continue to be sustainable by some means. Once the shitstorm has died down and he backtracked on some of his most stupid decisions, most companies will be back to advertise as well.

But the dream is too sweet to not savour evey last drop of this hilarious roller coaster.
eh if this keeps up, it wont blow over lmao.

All social media platforms fall from grace eventually. It happened to MySpace, it happened to LiveJournal, it happened to Tumblr, it's happening or you could argue has already happened to Facebook. In the long term I don't see Twitter recovering from this, especially if advertisers get cold feet.

The most likely scenario before anything else seems to be it’ll just outright collapse as he keeps flicking off more services. He already broke 2 factor authentication yesterday where people can’t get text messages sent anymore.

World Cup and The Game Awards are two huge upcoming Twitter events to watch.

Things would return to normal if he hired some Eric Schmidt-type CEO, but that won't solve the debt issue. I honestly don't think it's possible for Twitter to generate the kind of revenue that Musk needs it to generate.

Things would return to normal if he hired some Eric Schmidt-type CEO, but that won't solve the debt issue. I honestly don't think it's possible for Twitter to generate the kind of revenue that Musk needs it to generate.

This is the crux of the matter. Twitter may become bearable for general usage with time passing but for it to be a sustainable business model for Musk it doesn’t have to change, it has to mutate.

All social media platforms fall from grace eventually. It happened to MySpace, it happened to LiveJournal, it happened to Tumblr, it's happening or you could argue has already happened to Facebook. In the long term I don't see Twitter recovering from this, especially if advertisers get cold feet.
I don't know much about what went down with MySpace or LiveJournal, but Tumblr was literally killed off by the fact that then-owner Verizon nuked various types of adult content and incited algorithm-driven mass bans (or rather, setting blogs to private which you could not turn off) and the user base didn't enjoy that, especially since it was done willy-nilly and not targeting content and groups that the users were actually complaining about.

And facebook, well, facebook was never cool. Sorry.

As someone who never really got into using instagram, is it a suitable replacement for Twitter? Maybe not as a one to one replacement, but maybe it could cover a similar base.

As someone who never really got into using instagram, is it a suitable replacement for Twitter? Maybe not as a one to one replacement, but maybe it could cover a similar base.
Not really. It is mainly about visual content, primarily pictures and the odd video here and there.

I hope everyone quits.

"Going forward, to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0 and succeed in an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hardcore," Musk wrote in the memo. "This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade."

Musk said any employee who has not done so by 5 p.m. ET on Thursday will receive three months severance. The Washington Post was first to report the memo.

"Extremely hardcore work", how very wizard.

With every passing day, this saga keeps getting more absurd, and yet the wait for it to finally and unceremoniously crumble apart under its own weight keeps bearing no fruits. Feels like watching this gif 24/7.

truck-crash.gif

I don't know much about what went down with MySpace or LiveJournal, but Tumblr was literally killed off by the fact that then-owner Verizon nuked various types of adult content and incited algorithm-driven mass bans (or rather, setting blogs to private which you could not turn off) and the user base didn't enjoy that, especially since it was done willy-nilly and not targeting content and groups that the users were actually complaining about.

And facebook, well, facebook was never cool. Sorry.
Blatantly untrue lol. For a time Facebook’s reputation was that it was a “professional” version of MySpace that you could connect to not just friends, but family and colleagues on, and that was why it got so huge. This isn’t really about being “cool,” though, but more about social media sites inevitably becoming less popular overtime.

As for Tumblr, obviously the NSFW ban was a major change, but usage was also declining for it over the years since the Yahoo buyout. Its peak was long before the NSFW ban.

He really is utterly pathetic, I'd love to see him lose everything, he's a horrible human being.
I still am amazed at all his fanboys who adore him when he is a complete clown.

Glad everyone who could left. Apparently a lot of people who stayed had work Visas and couldn’t easily leave.

Sad it’ll soon implode, but I hope this continues to ruin Elon.

It's all over at this point. No one is going to want to work for him at this point and it's just a matter of time before the infrastructure falls apart and they don't have enough and/or the right people to duct tape and bailing wire it back together.

Fucking LMAO.

Elon got scammed with that 44B buyout lmao.

Now to wonder if this is the end for Elon's ownership of twitter etc :]

This has gotta be up there with some of the biggest public self-owns, even with his famboys defending him 24/7.
Yeah but he'll just keep blaming "the left" for it, and will never accept responsibility for what actually happened. In order for this to be a satisfying self-own he needs to know it was his own bullshit that did it.

Good on the folks who left, but I get the sneaking suspicion that they're not getting the severance they were offered without a lawsuit

Back
Top Bottom