• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

If epd DK is a Switch 2 game, when does it even come out? Between rumors of 3D Mario, Mario Kart, some kind of Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, I just can't imagine DK being a year 1 Switch game. Even with the Orlando park opening next year. Then when you consider it could be the 2D game they were hiring for in 2020, this might be a game that will be 5+ years in the making, which just doesn't seem right when Mario Wonder had a 4 year cycle from hiring call to release. Maybe it does release this year or 2025 and I'll have to eat these words. But if not then I think there's something concerning going on behind the scenes with DK. I dunno. Well see what happens tomorrow

I don't need anything beyond a new competent 2D DK game, man.. and for that, it doesn't need an expensive new hardware. There's so much to improve over Tropical Freeze to bring it in line to the Rare titles..

I don't wanna say that the Switch is a disappointing on itself (far from it, I have great memories with it and there were many great exclusive experiences), but ending its lifecycle without Donkey Kong is like a punch to the gut.

My expectations is that we will see something Donkey Kong-related beyond him being in the next Mario Party. There's honesty a good argument for either a DKC Returns HD port or MonkEPD showing up in this presentation. Considering that the last first-party Direct had Mario vs Donkey Kong Switch and Diddy & Funky in Mario Kart, something tells me that The Big "N" may not stop the minecart train of news relating to the Kong himself.

If epd DK is a Switch 2 game, when does it even come out? Between rumors of 3D Mario, Mario Kart, some kind of Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, I just can't imagine DK being a year 1 Switch game. Even with the Orlando park opening next year. Then when you consider it could be the 2D game they were hiring for in 2020, this might be a game that will be 5+ years in the making, which just doesn't seem right when Mario Wonder had a 4 year cycle from hiring call to release. Maybe it does release this year or 2025 and I'll have to eat these words. But if not then I think there's something concerning going on behind the scenes with DK. I dunno. Well see what happens tomorrow
The Brazil leaker said the reason they pushed the Switch 2's release to March next year was so it would have a strong launch year software library. It could launch with a 3D Mario and DK be a summer release. Mario Kart could be a holiday game.

Mario Kart just finished it's booster pass last year and the game still sells like hotcakes to this day. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom just released last year. A new Zelda game may not be ready yet. With these series getting new stuff so recently I could definitely see DK being a launch year title on the Switch 2.

RIP to anyone who believed Nate when he said in 2022 “a new DK game will be in one of the next Directs. Either this one or next year in February, it’s 50/50” and here we are, still with no new game.

As usual, none of the resident "insiders" are teasing anything DK related despite the fact that DKC is celebrating its 30th anniversary in November and there's a massive theme park expansion opening. I hope this is because Nintendo has clamped down on leaks and not because they have nothing planned. Because if they don't, I'm not sure how this fandom will survive.

I reckon the most we’ll get is DKR and/or DK64 dropping tomorrow. Not really expecting a new DK. Though I hope I’m wrong here. Well hope I’m half wrong, cause I’d still want the other two games.

Last edited:
The fandom will live as all fandoms do when their series is in a lull or decline. At least DK isn’t in a Star Fox situation. Whatever we get I hope it’s not a brand new series defining adventure for the Switch. I’d rather wait one extra year or so for that series defining adventure for the switch 2.

Though I wish for a Returns remaster I’ll be grateful for anything. The series isn’t dead. This isn’t Mother.

The faithful shall be given their just reward.

This faith of mine is not going down until tomorrow. A new DK title WILL be unveiled.

Whatever we get I hope it’s not a brand new series defining adventure for the Switch. I’d rather wait one extra year or so for that series defining adventure for the switch 2.
Yeah it just seems like it would be strange to release such a game if we are potentially less than a year from the Switch 2 releasing. If DK shows up I have to imagine it's a 2D game and not 3D like have some speculated it would be.

The fandom will live as all fandoms do when their series is in a lull or decline. At least DK isn’t in a Star Fox situation. Whatever we get I hope it’s not a brand new series defining adventure for the Switch. I’d rather wait one extra year or so for that series defining adventure for the switch 2.

Though I wish for a Returns remaster I’ll be grateful for anything. The series isn’t dead. This isn’t Mother.
The last Star Fox game (2016) is literally more recent than the last Donkey Kong game (2014).

Also, I don't know if I agree with the mindset that Nintendo will want to save DK as a launch window game for the next system when almost every mainline DK game launched towards the end of their systems' lives. The only one that didn't, Tropical Freeze, underperformed. Honestly, I have no idea what Nintendo's game plan is for this franchise anymore and I hope the Direct gives us some answers.

If DK doesn't show up in the Direct beyond bare minimum elements (DK 64 and/or DKR on NSO) and that turns out to be the confirmation that we're not getting any new games until the next console, then I think it's fair to say Donkey Kong was the most mishandled franchise in the Switch era given its sales potential. F-Zero and Star Fox have had it worse in a vacuum, but there was always a ceiling to the kind of numbers either IP could realistically do. DK has been a AAA IP for Nintendo in the past when done right and that its legacy on potentially the bestselling Nintendo console of all time is one port of a Wii U game and very basic franchise representation everywhere else speaks dubiously either of the company's priorities with or their planning of it in general.

Rantings of a bitter fan perhaps, but it is what it is.

If DK doesn't show up in the Direct beyond bare minimum elements (DK 64 and/or DKR on NSO) and that turns out to be the confirmation that we're not getting any new games until the next console, then I think it's fair to say Donkey Kong was the most mishandled franchise in the Switch era given its sales potential. F-Zero and Star Fox have had it worse in a vacuum, but there was always a ceiling to the kind of numbers either IP could realistically do. DK has been a AAA IP for Nintendo in the past when done right and that its legacy on potentially the bestselling Nintendo console of all time is one port of a Wii U game and very basic franchise representation everywhere else speaks dubiously either of the company's priorities with or their planning of it in general.

Yeah, I also don't understand why the VV game had to be cancelled. Especially since the EPD title, if it even exists, takes so long.

To be brutally honest, it's been said before, but the loss of Rare really did just kneecap the prospects of DK being a continuously reoccurring major IP.

The answer is in the rumors that are shared on this very thread. The 2 studios that prioritized DK games were moved onto other projects. Vicarious Visions was working on a DK project, but Activision canned it.

If rumors regarding development restarting over at EPD Tokyo are correct, then the game is 100% a Switch 2 game. EPD Tokyo is one of those Nintendo studios that develops software adjacent to new hardware

A November release for a 2D game is still very much a possibility. DKC3 came out in the same circumstances for the SNES (to a point you had Wrinkly playing a N64 in game lol), and it still managed to be a giant splash in the system, even with the game not being as well regarded as the previous two

Low key think that Donkey Kong Country Returns could make a reappearance here. We know an HD version of the game already exists, and it would be relatively easy to port it to Switch as a tie-in to the theme park, which takes most of its iconography from that title.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that the DK marketing strategy so to speak is to release the theme park in tandem or before a new DK game releases. It's a bit ridiculous, but I really do believe deep down they're holding many DK projects close to their chest until the time is right. Nintendo is notorious for holding completed games for years until they determine the appropriate release window. All I'm asking for is Returns HD. Don't think that's too big of an ask.

Diddy Kong Racing, icicle pyramid & Adventure Mode co-op online with NSO emulator. They could start and end the direct right there and I’ll be 100% satisfied.

Low key think that Donkey Kong Country Returns could make a reappearance here. We know an HD version of the game already exists, and it would be relatively easy to port it to Switch as a tie-in to the theme park, which takes most of its iconography from that title.
PYORO WHO MOTHERFUCKERS

BOW DOWN TO YOUR NEW LEAKER

I should be excited, but they didn't even update the graphics and the game is coming out in 2025, which means we probably aren't getting a new DK game until 2026 at the earliest.

I want to die.

I’m glad DK is at least getting something but it’s hard to get over my disappointment that the series is only getting remasters and remakes during Nintendo’s most successful era. What the hell is going on over there dev-side?

People are allowed to be happy about this of course but to me it seems really bare bones. I already bought it twice and if I want the game in HD I'll play on Dolphin, and this is probably the only DK game well get in 2025 so give it up for 12 years with no DK :)

People are allowed to be happy about this of course but to me it seems really bare bones. I already bought it twice and if I want the game in HD I'll play on Dolphin, and this is probably the only DK game well get in 2025 so give it up for 12 years with no DK :)
I disagree about it being the only DK game we will get next year. Keep in mind that the Switch 2 is coming next year and that might be where the new game is coming next year.

The only thing I'm disappointed in with this announcement is it will likely not have any brand new content. It'll likely be treated just like Luigi's Mansion 2 HD.

Adding Dixie to this alone would have blown my mind.

Still no Donkey Kong 64 or Diddy Kong Racing. Jesus fucking Christ, Nintendo.
It's kinda amazing to think how

• Banjo-Kazooie
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Blast Corps
  • Perfect Dark
  • Battletoads in Battlemaniac
  • Killer Instinct
  • Snake Rattle n' Roll
  • R.C Pro-Am
All made it to NSO long before DK64 did.

Remember when people thought that Nintendo couldn't possibly get Rare games on NSO prior to 2021? Or that at it most, it'd just be the Banjo and DK games? Good times!

I'm delighted, idk why anyone would want to see a DK game on Switch 1 at this point. Just be patient and we could get something that looks so much better, on Switch 2.

It's kinda amazing to think how

• Banjo-Kazooie
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Blast Corps
  • Perfect Dark
  • Battletoads in Battlemaniac
  • Killer Instinct
  • Snake Rattle n' Roll
  • R.C Pro-Am
All made it to NSO long before DK64 did.

Remember when people thought that Nintendo couldn't possibly get Rare games on NSO prior to 2021? Or that at it most, it'd just be the Banjo and DK games? Good times!
The conventional wisdom is that they're saving them for some kind of Donkey Kong "blowout," but how long do they expect people to wait? None of the Game Boy DK games have shown up yet either. It's such a weird situation. There's a realistic possibility that we get Conker before DK64.

I disagree about it being the only DK game we will get next year. Keep in mind that the Switch 2 is coming next year and that might be where the new game is coming next year.
I don't know man. I hope you're right, but especially if it's a 2D game, I don't see them releasing two 2D DK games into the same year. Unless it's 3D, but no one seems to believe it will be 3D at this point.

I don't know man. I hope you're right, but especially if it's a 2D game, I don't see them releasing two 2D DK games into the same year. Unless it's 3D, but no one seems to believe it will be 3D at this point.
To be fair, we are getting three Mario RPGs (granted, different series), all within the same year. If that's the case, then DK shouldn't have that issue you brought up.

It wouldve been a stupid stupid stupid business move if Nintendo didn't have ANYTHING from the Donkey Kong series to sell for when the theme park opens given their latest release was a port of Tropical Freeze in 2018.

Like straight up bad business when they say their company goal is to increase the exposure of their IP via movies and theme parks to get people to buy video games. Basically why would anyone going to DK Land at Universal want to buy any video games?

So DKCR HD is the most boring and uninspired development for DK fans (even remaking DK64 wouldve been more interesting to me) but DKCR is also clearly the game that inspired the theme park so it's the right move synergy wise. If Nintendo didn't even try and didn't have anything for DK then it would make them look really incompetent from a business and branding perspective.

I’m neutral on this news. It’s nice that Nintendo has common sense in realizing that a theme park section based on a title should probably have that game available. However other than having some cognizance of synergy about brands, there’s nothing suggesting a great deal of game investment beyond the surface level.

I should be excited, but they didn't even update the graphics and the game is coming out in 2025, which means we probably aren't getting a new DK game until 2026 at the earliest.

I want to die.
They actually did update the graphics. It's especially noticeable if you look at DK and Diddy in the Mugly cutscene, the models have fur now. All of it looks sharper and more colorful compared to the original upscaled to HD, I think they may have redone the lighting or something. Whatever it is, it's really nice and tastefully done.

HD 60fps with all the levels and button controls makes this the definitive version, so I'm actually pretty happy with this. I didn't expect them to even bother with a straight port of the Wii version, but this legit has a reason to exist.

They actually did update the graphics. It's especially noticeable if you look at DK and Diddy in the Mugly cutscene, the models have fur now. All of it looks sharper and more colorful compared to the original upscaled to HD, I think they may have redone the lighting or something. Whatever it is, it's really nice and tastefully done.

HD 60fps with all the levels and button controls makes this the definitive version, so I'm actually pretty happy with this. I didn't expect them to even bother with a straight port of the Wii version, but this legit has a reason to exist.
Yeah, it looks a lot better. I remember even on Wii diddy and DK weren’t looking particularly great for the time. If only they had updated music this would be an all timer.

I am thrilled that we are getting the entire DKC lineup on the the Switch. I've been wanting to replay that game for a long time.

As far as the new game is concerned, I really believe that we are still getting something within the next 2-3 years.

Back
Top Bottom