• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

Heading into the June Direct like this with our friends
2Yv3.gif

I find it amusing that Miyamoto is arguably DKC's biggest champion and the person he chose to direct the Zelda movie just released a movie about talking apes. Maybe that influenced his decision.

The orangutans are the best characters in the new Planet of the Apes movies; I NEED to see Lanky return. I'd like to see every member of the Kong family return at some point, but Lanky is definitely the most unique—both in terms of appearance and gameplay potential.

I find it amusing that Miyamoto is arguably DKC's biggest champion and the person he chose to direct the Zelda movie just released a movie about talking apes. Maybe that influenced his decision.

The orangutans are the best characters in the new Planet of the Apes movies; I NEED to see Lanky return. I'd like to see every member of the Kong family return at some point, but Lanky is definitely the most unique—both in terms of appearance and gameplay potential.
Donkey Kong Movie will be live action cgi. Chris Pratt dressed as Mario will make an appearance.

I can't believe we've found the one effective use case for the "CGI cartoon animal in the real world" movie: a faithful adaptation of Donkey Kong Country. The scene where DK and Diddy are riding in some guy's car is gonna be lit.

kw0kge3e3bh41.jpg

I can't believe we've found the one effective use case for the "CGI cartoon animal in the real world" movie: a faithful adaptation of Donkey Kong Country. The scene where DK and Diddy are riding in some guy's car is gonna be lit.

kw0kge3e3bh41.jpg
Absolutely rolling at the fact that James Marsden is in two of those

I choose to believe in DK being revealed in the next Direct because at this point it isn't possible to be more disappointed

I hope this isn't like that Waddle Dee account that tweeted a bunch of fake leaks and then deleted the ones that didn't come true

This looks too dubious to believe. Even if it is legit, I won't believe Nintendo made a new DK until I've beaten it 100% and seen the credits. Even then I'd have my doubts.
Based on the recent games, you'd have to go for 200% to be sure

This looks too dubious to believe. Even if it is legit, I won't believe Nintendo made a new DK until I've beaten it 100% and seen the credits. Even then I'd have my doubts.
This is basically where I'm at. It's been so long since the last Donkey Kong game that I won't even know how to process the announcement of a new game. I already feel defeated with all of the Zelda rumours floating around since I can't imagine Nintendo releasing a new 2D Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and a DK game this holiday season. It feels like we can never win.

IMG-9869.jpg

There hasn't been a new game in over a decade and Donkey Kong still has tons of brand power. Nintendo really needs to do more with this franchise.
Always been weird to me how most online/"in-the-know" Nintendo fans seem to have little regard for DK, while websites/corporations like this pull data showing how big the ip is. I've seen many online posts in the last year alone saying stuff like "Oh, DK has never sold that well, thats why there hasnt been a new game in 10 years", or "just put DK in the next Mario game, since DK can't hold a game on his own", then there's these corporations of all things saying "Yeah, this franchise has potential on the same level as Mario and the Last of Us". It's bizarre.

Always been weird to me how most online/"in-the-know" Nintendo fans seem to have little regard for DK, while websites/corporations like this pull data showing how big the ip is. I've seen many online posts in the last year alone saying stuff like "Oh, DK has never sold that well, thats why there hasnt been a new game in 10 years", or "just put DK in the next Mario game, since DK can't hold a game on his own", then there's these corporations of all things saying "Yeah, this franchise has potential on the same level as Mario and the Last of Us". It's bizarre.
The thing is DK has always been big, but I think the problem with getting a new DK game is probably there’s not enough man power to create the game.

Like this might chance with the direct, since EDP8 had listing for a 2D platformer a couple a year ago and also they used to originally make DK games and the hopeful new is most likely a passion project, similar to captain toad treasure tracker.

This is basically where I'm at. It's been so long since the last Donkey Kong game that I won't even know how to process the announcement of a new game. I already feel defeated with all of the Zelda rumours floating around since I can't imagine Nintendo releasing a new 2D Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and a DK game this holiday season. It feels like we can never win.
I share your concerns, and for what it's worth, I'm not sure there have been any credible rumors yet on a timeframe for the lightly rumored Zelda game. I agree Zelda and DK near the same time feels unlikely.

DK series gets a lot of misconceptions strown about. For example, many are so use to Nintendo series being tied to specific developers because that's the IPs their specifically assigned to be on (usually because they created said IP). Well, DK doesn't have that, but I can't tell you how many time I've read someone say "We haven't gotten a new DK game because Retro Studios is busy with Metroid."
Retro doesn't make the DK games, they made some DK games. Big difference. We are not in a decade long drought because Retro isn't interested in DK, this is entirely Nintendo's fault.

DK series gets a lot of misconceptions strown about. For example, many are so use to Nintendo series being tied to specific developers because that's the IPs their specifically assigned to be on (usually because they created said IP). Well, DK doesn't have that, but I can't tell you how many time I've read someone say "We haven't gotten a new DK game because Retro Studios is busy with Metroid."
Retro doesn't make the DK games, they made some DK games. Big difference. We are not in a decade long drought because Retro isn't interested in DK, this is entirely Nintendo's fault.
It’s definitely Nintendo’s fault. They make the decisions. They should’ve fostered the people, they should’ve created a DK team. Instead they don’t have that and they have to look outside. It’s not Retro’s IP. It’s not Rares IP

They might have that now going by the latest rumors.

To cut Nintendo some slack, I don't think you can give a prestigious IP like Donkey Kong to any team. I don't want to see the DK counterparts of the Artoon/Arzest Yoshi games or of Suzak Wario Master of Disguise.

And that's why I'm excited about the rumoured games -- if there is a team I trust with platformers, that's EPD Tokyo, and I'm excited to see what they can do outside the Mario bubble and with a 2D game.

Funny you mention that...

Donkey_Kong_Barrel_Blast.JPG
I think Paon rightfully earned the chance for a console game, after having King of Swing as experience (and Jungle Climber releasing not much after, which was much better); They were supposed to be THE development team for the series of that period before Retro came about with Returns.

And despite being a sloppy racing experience, Barrel Blast should always be remembered as the last big franchise celebration we had. So much fanservice there it's insane... and I really love it for that.

These days, I WISH we had Paon around at least for spinoffs like those... I miss their take on the concepts Rare created

Jungle Climber is incredibly challenging to me and also a really creative and fun game. I don't think I was able to beat the final boss. I just appreciated the creativity and cleverness on display in the level design. That was one of the best vertical platforming uses on DS for me.

I enjoyed Jungle Climber for the most part. What I really appreciated was Paon's attempt at doing a similar visual style to the original DKC games. 2D sprites of 3D models.

I have a genuine concern that Nintendo isn't equipped to make a DKC game, but I think I would have that about any developer. Even with Retro, there would be a lot of doubts about how they'd manage to follow Tropical Freeze, especially if they were making another one now ten years later.

Also yeah, Paon was totally DK's Arzest. King of Swing is okay for what it is. Best I can say about the others is the music was decent and they at least used a lot of Rare's stuff even if their understanding of it seemed... lacking (most infamously Cranky Kong).

I hope we get a 2D game. I don't see what I love about 2D DKC getting translated well into a 3D game, and 3D platformers tend to be underwhelming for me unless they get a really high budget, which I doubt DKC would.

I hope we get a 2D game. I don't see what I love about 2D DKC getting translated well into a 3D game, and 3D platformers tend to be underwhelming for me unless they get a really high budget, which I doubt DKC would.
I repeat that again and again, but haven't DKC gone missing for 10 years, I'd be perfectly fine with a 3D DK game right now, as it's fair to try it again, since it's been way longer since DK64... BUT, we are not getting both... the hard truth is that it's either one or the other.

And no other 2D platformer scratch the same itch that DKC does, not even the inspired games like Impossible Lair.. and personally speaking, I'm not up for gambling with an experimental 3D platformer now that may or may not be a perfect translation of DKC's gameplay after so much time with no new Donkey Kong game of any type... over the comfort of an actual polished 2D DKC game that could fix many of the issues Tropical Freeze had.

If we were to be guaranteed that both we'd be made and delivered in a short spam, then fine.. but I feel we'd be lucky if we have a singular mainline title now, and then other just in about more 5 to 7 years, with not even a spinoff in the meantime...

Last edited:
I repeat that again and again, but haven't DKC gone missing for 10 years, I'd be perfectly fine with a 3D DK game right now, as it's fair to try it again, since it's been way longer since DK64... BUT, we are not getting both... the hard truth is that it's one or the other.

And no other 2D platformer stratch the same itch that DKC does, not even the inspired games like Impossible Lair.. and personally speaking, I'm not up for gambling with an experimental 3D platformer now that may or may not be a perfect translation of DKC's gameplay after so much time with no new Donkey Kong game of any type... over the comfort of an actual polished 2D DKC game that could fix many of the issues Tropical Freeze had.

If we were to be guaranteed that both we'd be made and delivered in a short spam, then fine.. but I feel we'd be lucky if we have a singular mainline title now, and then other just in about more 5 to 7 years, with not even a spinoff in the meantime...
Honestly, I think we're going to get a 2D DK because of those hirings that EPD 8 (Tokyo) asked for a few years ago, if anything.

My mindset is it’s a 2D game because the hirings were for a 2D game. I’m fine with that, I just don’t want anything off the wall. We need a mainline DK game. Its been 10 years

If a 3D DKC could be anything like Crash 4 with its mix of 2D and linear 3D, I'd love that. Everything besides the 100% conditions is fantastically creative and inventive, particularly the power ups, level design and set pieces. Many parts of the game feel DKC esque to me. That type of 3D DK would definitely satisfy me.

if theres a 3D Donkey Kong, the way i could see to transfer/adapt Donkey Kong Country gameplay, is trought a linear 3D game, such as Super Mario 3D World

Can I ask what about DKC you don't see translating well into a 3D game? Because I can picture the controls and movement of Retro's DKC games in a fully 3D environment as clear as day. I mean, those games are already 3D.

If Retro decided to make a 3D DK game my hype would be through the moon. Probably, one of the most hyped for a game ever. I know it sounds like hyperbole, but I mean it. I’ve got nothing to question if they’re making it.

Back
Top Bottom