• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

They actually did update the graphics. It's especially noticeable if you look at DK and Diddy in the Mugly cutscene, the models have fur now. All of it looks sharper and more colorful compared to the original upscaled to HD, I think they may have redone the lighting or something. Whatever it is, it's really nice and tastefully done.

HD 60fps with all the levels and button controls makes this the definitive version, so I'm actually pretty happy with this. I didn't expect them to even bother with a straight port of the Wii version, but this legit has a reason to exist.
I immediately noticed the new models, but everything else looks identical to the NVIDIA Shield port to me. I completely understand why this game exists and I'll probably buy it a third time, but it sucks that they put minimal effort into this compared to Prime Remastered. Give me playable Dixie!

The 3DS levels in 60 FPS is the real hook for me. I find the 3DS version ugly to look at, and 30 fps really messes up with bounce jumping. This is going to be the definitive version of Returns.

My question now is whether they implement Funky Mode on this. Funky is such a fun character, and Returns is far harder than Tropical Freeze. It needs an easier mode for newbies.

Well I'm just glad we got something like Jesus Christ. Even if we count Mario vs. DK as a DK game which I personally don't, it was a 6 year drought from 2018 to 2024, and that's if count Tropical Freeze on Switch. I'm just glad the absolute worst days are behind us like my GOD. That decade was unbearable, especially given the fact that the Switch is the most successful Nintendo console ever. It's FAR from ideal, but I can at least accept that the Switch has the definitive version of 2 of the best DK games. I couldn't accept just a TF port, because that's the absolute bare minimum effort Nintendo could've made, considering it was a Wii U port and almost every Wii U game has been ported. At least a Wii port implies much more effort.

I actually think we're getting DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing remasters at this point. It's far too long of an absence for them to not be getting the remaster treatment at this stage imo. It's similar to the Super Mario RPG situation.

Can DK fans and Metroid fans please make peace already?
This is the second great ape war

I actually think we're getting DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing remasters at this point. It's far too long of an absence for them to not be getting the remaster treatment at this stage imo. It's similar to the Super Mario RPG situation.
What would the benefit be of remastering those games? Especially DKR which has massive rights issues with the Rare characters. They're most likely just sitting on them during a lull. Plenty of notable games that haven't gotten put on NSO yet, like Smash 64.

This is the second great ape war

What would the benefit be of remastering those games? Especially DKR which has massive rights issues with the Rare characters. They're most likely just sitting on them during a lull. Plenty of notable games that haven't gotten put on NSO yet, like Smash 64.
So they could sell the games again for multiple millions of dollars? Nintendo is a business not a charity and they own the DK IP. You can just use the roster for Diddy Kong Racing DS if you're worried about licensing BTW which I don't even think would be a problem since Nintendo and Microsoft are so close. A remaster of Super Mario RPG has a lot more legal entanglements.

So they could sell the games again for multiple millions of dollars? Nintendo is a business not a charity and they own the DK IP. You can just use the roster for Diddy Kong Racing DS if you're worried about licensing BTW which I don't even think would be a problem since Nintendo and Microsoft are so close. A remaster of Super Mario RPG has a lot more legal entanglements.
Okay, you gotta stop using "remaster" to describe SMRPG. That's a remake. lol

The SMRPG remake most likely happened for multiple reasons, one being that getting Square to agree to the SNES game on NSO might not have been trivial. They'll probably just get unceremoniously dropped one random month when Nintendo deems it fit; it's not uncommon for DK games to take longer to come out on these services either.

All DKC games now available on Switch, that's just so hype on its own to me! I love DKCR - not as much as TF, but I still think it's awesome. I hope they specifically set it early next year in an effort to give us a year of Donkey Kong, where NSO will finally get DK64 and we get a brand new 3D DK game on Switch 2.

Returns HD looks good, I admit. Much better than the NVidia Shield version which was basically a Dolphin upscale.

Crazy if Retro are the ones behind this too, with Prime 4 releasing early next year.

Buuuut... I stand by what I said.. I feel defeated.. 😭

One detail that I want to point out about Returns HD is that the font for "Donkey Kong Country" seems to be the same font from the Switch port of Mario vs Donkey Kong, suggesting that that might be what the Donkey Kong logo might look like going forward.
Donkey_Kong_Country_Returns_logo.png
images

Okay, you gotta stop using "remaster" to describe SMRPG. That's a remake. lol

The SMRPG remake most likely happened for multiple reasons, one being that getting Square to agree to the SNES game on NSO might not have been trivial. They'll probably just get unceremoniously dropped one random month when Nintendo deems it fit; it's not uncommon for DK games to take longer to come out on these services either.
Agree to disagree. I think "remakes" or whatever you want to call them are a part of the DK strategy going forward if they're serious about the long-term viability of this franchise.

One detail that I want to point out about Returns HD is that the font for "Donkey Kong Country" seems to be the same font from the Switch port of Mario vs Donkey Kong, suggesting that that might be what the Donkey Kong logo might look like going forward.
Donkey_Kong_Country_Returns_logo.png
images
I like the new logo a lot more. The "G" in Kong is a lot cleaner since it's rounded. The stars being colored yellow is also a nice touch.

All DKC games now available on Switch, that's just so hype on its own to me! I love DKCR - not as much as TF, but I still think it's awesome. I hope they specifically set it early next year in an effort to give us a year of Donkey Kong, where NSO will finally get DK64 and we get a brand new 3D DK game on Switch 2.

Yeah, this alone has me really happy. I can definitely speak for this fandom when I say we're all more than ready for a new game, but having all five DKC games available on Switch is a great thing. Finger's crossed we might get some kind of new content since the release is so far out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Now we just need DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing!

I think it was unrealistic to expect a new DK game this gen. The DK renaissance is upon us whether we know it or not! The darkest days are behind us. It started in 2023 with the Mario movie and the theme park and Returns are the next phase. Can't wait to see what Switch 2 has in store for us

Well give some thoughts on how I felt about this Direct in terms of being a DK fan. While it's a little bit sad that MonkEPD is probably not coming out on the original Switch, I'm at least graceful that we are getting Returns HD w/ the 3DS content included. While I did play Returns 3D from late-last year to early this year, I'm also kinda glad that Returns HD is coming out in January, as it allows me enough time inbetween to not feel burnt out. Lastly, with this game coming out next January and the theme park opening in Orlando soon, next year will be very exciting for me as a DK fan.

with Returns HD coming only next year, the brand new game wouldn't be released until 2026 at earliest. I'm sorry, but this is not an exciting proposition... a Wii remaster doesn't move the needle at all... I'll be reaching my mid 30's by then...

If there were spinoffs in the meantime, maybe it would be a tad more bearable, but that's not the case... we'll be lucky if the next mainline game is even as soon as the second year of the Switch 2

with Returns HD coming only next year, the brand new game wouldn't be released until 2026 at earliest. I'm sorry, but this is not an exciting proposition... a Wii remaster doesn't move the needle at all... I'll be reaching my mid 30's by then...

If there were spinoffs in the meantime, maybe it would be a tad more bearable, but that's not the case... we'll be lucky if the next mainline game is even as soon as the second year of the Switch 2
Yes. I made the realization last year that DK was being embargoed until the theme park. It looks like I was right. I don't know how I feel about that, but the good news is that there will be crazy demand for DK with the launch of the parks so Nintendo will have to oblige us DK fans eventually.

My question now is whether they implement Funky Mode on this. Funky is such a fun character, and Returns is far harder than Tropical Freeze. It needs an easier mode for newbies.
The entire trailer was being played in the New (Funkyless) Mode from 3D, so technically it's there!

Although I don't think that worked as a band-aid on the actual biggest point of difficulty, the one hit kills in vehicle levels, so I kind of hope they maybe edited that? At least Crash Guard is there I guess.

New Mode in general felt really hacked together actually, it would be nice if they polished it a bit for this release.

The entire trailer was being played in the New (Funkyless) Mode from 3D, so technically it's there!

Although I don't think that worked as a band-aid on the actual biggest point of difficulty, the one hit kills in vehicle levels, so I kind of hope they maybe edited that? At least Crash Guard is there I guess.

New Mode in general felt really hacked together actually, it would be nice if they polished it a bit for this release.
I actually hope they make this game have an easier mode. The game is straight up too difficult for the casual market. This will be a lot of people's first DK game so I don't want them to be turned off by a crazy tough game.

New K.Rool mode, anyone?
My hope was they implementing a secret K. Rool boss fight, which Hyle from DK Vine reported that Retro wanted to do for the Tropical Freeze port, but it was held off due of K. Rool's Smash inclusion calling dibs on his return...

But we don't even know if Returns HD is a Retro game, so I don't know if we can expect anything new.

Yes. I made the realization last year that DK was being embargoed until the theme park. It looks like I was right. I don't know how I feel about that, but the good news is that there will be crazy demand for DK with the launch of the parks so Nintendo will have to oblige us DK fans eventually.
The DK brand seems to be fine, despite the lack of new games... but it's our patience that is running thin...

The conventional wisdom is that they're saving them for some kind of Donkey Kong "blowout," but how long do they expect people to wait? None of the Game Boy DK games have shown up yet either. It's such a weird situation. There's a realistic possibility that we get Conker before DK64.
How he worded it after showing it made me think there was more DK stuff to come. Was pretty disappointing seeing dq3 after lol

To give folks a little hope, a game releasing in January wouldn't prevent Nintendo from releasing another one later in 2025 since those are different financial years. It's the same reason why we got New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe so close to Super Mario Maker 2. Plus if it is on the successor, I doubt it would matter very much at all.

Nintendo is releasing 3 Mario RPGs in a single year. I'm pretty sure all logic is out the window.

I feel a lot more hopeful for DK after the direct. Yeah, it's a pretty barebones remaster, but we finally have the definitive edition of DKC Returns, and with updated models. Hopefully we get a new game next year.

After the Tropical Freeze tantrum, Metroid fans have gotten:
  • a spinoff (which led to another tantrum)
  • a remake
  • a new 2D game
  • a remaster
  • a new 3D game
  • consistent NSO drops
  • No doubt Mercury Steam is working on another 2D Metroid.

I don't know you guys, I starting to lean towards the tantrum route. Nintendo is clearly testing the patience of our nice-guy attitude.

(I am a Metroid fan, before anyone thinks I'm trying to pick a fanbase fight).

Last edited:
  • a remake
  • a new 2D game
  • a remaster
  • a new 3D game
  • consistent NSO drops

I don't know you guys, I starting to lead towards the tantrum route. Nintendo is clearly testing the patience of our nice-guy attitude.

(I'm am a Metroid fan, before anyone thinks I'm trying to pick a fanbase fight).
If the sole basis of your Nintendo fandom knowledge came from message boards you’d think Metroid was the best selling franchise in history

I’m actually jealous how they’ve managed to dominate the conservation despite their small numbers

• a remake
  • a new 2D game
  • a remaster
  • a new 3D game
  • consistent NSO drops

I don't know you guys, I starting to lead towards the tantrum route. Nintendo is clearly testing the patience of our nice-guy attitude.

(I am a Metroid fan, before anyone thinks I'm trying to pick a fanbase fight).
I've been saying for years that DK fans are too polite and just assume Nintendo will cater to their every last desire if we wait another 5/10/15 years. It's almost like we've completely forgotten the amount of bitching and campaigning we had to do 9 years ago just to get K. Rool into Smash. The bitching of Metroid, Zelda, Paper Mario and Smash fans is what gets them such good treatment (I say this as a Metorid, Zelda, Paper Mario and Smash fan). Not advocating for death threats or any of that garbage, but DK fans DO need to bitch more if we want Nintendo to give us more transparency about the series and let them know we want classic kongs and kremlings to be in newer games. Even if you know there is a new game coming and it will be a masterclass platformer, ask for more. Doesn't sound nice but it is what works 🤷‍♂️

DK’s problem is that its fans that lived through the golden era in the 90s are typically too old to engage in online discourse about video games. The GC generation and younger mostly post on these places.

We need to stop the victim complex though. It’s getting silly. Yes the past 20 years have been unsatisfactory as a DK fan. I can agree to that. However, we’re about to be the 2nd video game franchise in history to get a theme park section (not just a ride) and we’re also one of the very few rides to be included in the grand opening of Universal’s biggest theme park ever Epic Universe in 2025. Nintendo shit the bed with DK this gen. I accepted that last year and I was trying to warn you guys not to get hyped about a new DK game this holiday season. That ship has sailed. I only expected Returns HD so I’m pretty happy about it. It would be sales suicide to release a new DK game this year. It sucks but it is what it is. I’d rather make sure the next title is evergreen on new hardware.

It might not be a popular opinion but Nintendo fans need to adjust their expectations on franchises going forward. Nintendo is heavily invested in multimedia (games, visual content, theme parks, merchandise). Games is still the most important, but it’s just part of the equation now. I don’t think people have fully grasped how much demand there will be for Donkey Kong by mid-late 2025 when the theme park launches. Ironically, DK will be a top 5 Nintendo franchise due to the cultural impact of a theme park on 2 continents and the amount of people who interact with this IP. I have no doubt that Nintendo will capitalize on that demand sooner rather than later.

DK’s problem is that its fans that lived through the golden era in the 90s are typically too old to engage in online discourse about video games. The GC generation and younger mostly post on these places.

We need to stop the victim complex though. It’s getting silly. Yes the past 20 years have been unsatisfactory as a DK fan. I can agree to that. However, we’re about to be the 2nd video game franchise in history to get a theme park section (not just a ride) and we’re also one of the very few rides to be included in the grand opening of Universal’s biggest theme park ever Epic Universe in 2025. Nintendo shit the bed with DK this gen. I accepted that last year and I was trying to warn you guys not to get hyped about a new DK game this holiday season. That ship has sailed. I only expected Returns HD so I’m pretty happy about it. It would be sales suicide to release a new DK game this year. It sucks but it is what it is. I’d rather make sure the next title is evergreen on new hardware.

It might not be a popular opinion but Nintendo fans need to adjust their expectations on franchises going forward. Nintendo is heavily invested in multimedia (games, visual content, theme parks, merchandise). Games is still the most important, but it’s just part of the equation now. I don’t think people have fully grasped how much demand there will be for Donkey Kong by mid-late 2025 when the theme park launches. Ironically, DK will be a top 5 Nintendo franchise due to the cultural impact of a theme park on 2 continents and the amount of people who interact with this IP. I have no doubt that Nintendo will capitalize on that demand sooner rather than later.
I still feel there's a good possibility DK is being set up as one of the big showcase titles for 2witch. A 3D exploration action game with raytracing, fur sims, and dense and detailed environments could be a sight to behold.

I don't think DKC Returns Returns is a slap in the face or Nintendo being negligent or anything, I think they're cooking and just threw a little something out there to hold people over.

I still feel there's a good possibility DK is being set up as one of the big showcase titles for 2witch. A 3D exploration action game with raytracing, fur sims, and dense and detailed environments could be a sight to behold.

I don't think DKC Returns Returns is a slap in the face or Nintendo being negligent or anything, I think they're cooking and just threw a little something out there to hold people over.
The other thing people are missing is that DKCR HD isn’t for the hardcore fans or the core Nintendo fans. Sure a few million of those will buy it. It’s for the normies that visit the theme park. They’ll say, “Hey it’s that Tiki villain from Suer Nintendo World. Let me try this game.”

The other thing people are missing is that DKCR HD isn’t for the hardcore fans or the core Nintendo fans. Sure a few million of those will buy it. It’s for the normies that visit the theme park. They’ll say, “Hey it’s that Tiki villain from Suer Nintendo World. Let me try this game.”
Don't forget it's also for the people who own Switches but never had a Wii or 3DS. Which is, honestly, almost every Switch owner I know.

So how well are we expecting DKCR HD to sell? The Mario Movie didn't seem to push Tropical Freeze one bit so I honestly dont know how well the theme park attraction will help it. There is the benefit having been 7 years since the last DK game released. But I also think the HD on the case will scare some off. Not to mention we might have Switch 2 news by the time it releases. Not to also mention this thing will probably be $60.

Me personally I'm expecting DKCR 3D type sales at best.

So how well are we expecting DKCR HD to sell? The Mario Movie didn't seem to push Tropical Freeze one bit so I honestly dont know how well the theme park attraction will help it. There is the benefit having been 7 years since the last DK game released. But I also think the HD on the case will scare some off. Not to mention we might have Switch 2 news by the time it releases. Not to also mention this thing will probably be $60.

Hard to say. At least a couple mil.

I'd be more excited for the Returns port if it was coming out this year. 2025 feels so far away. Being a Donkey Kong fan means having to wait for things that are handed to other franchises on a silver platter. We're still waiting for a new game, we're still waiting for over ten DK games to hit NSO, and we're still waiting for a goddamn Diddy Kong profile icon. I just want this franchise to have some stability, man.

I like the prospect of eventually being able to play every mainline DK game on one system, so this pleases me.
You can already do that on the Wii U, as Donkey Kong 64 and the Wii version of Jungle Beat are both available. The Wii U also has King of Swing and Jungle Climber, making it the ultimate DK machine.

Probably around 2 million. The Tropical Freeze port is at 4.62 million as of December 2022, it's possible it's close to 5 million by now, but DKCR is disadvantaged by being at the end of a console lifecycle, a port of a game that's already been on two other successful systems, and an iterative follow-up to TF meaning it will drop off notably from that. But DK is still a marketable brand and the theme park might bring in some sales.

I was seeing some people around the site today asking if Retro did the work on DKCRR, looks like it was Forever Entertainment, the team that did the Panzer Dragoon remake.

Yeah, didn't think Retro did that port for even a second.
It's poetry, really. Returns getting passed around to different devs, much like the DK series itself.

I've been saying for years that DK fans are too polite and just assume Nintendo will cater to their every last desire if we wait another 5/10/15 years. It's almost like we've completely forgotten the amount of bitching and campaigning we had to do 9 years ago just to get K. Rool into Smash. The bitching of Metroid, Zelda, Paper Mario and Smash fans is what gets them such good treatment (I say this as a Metorid, Zelda, Paper Mario and Smash fan). Not advocating for death threats or any of that garbage, but DK fans DO need to bitch more if we want Nintendo to give us more transparency about the series and let them know we want classic kongs and kremlings to be in newer games. Even if you know there is a new game coming and it will be a masterclass platformer, ask for more. Doesn't sound nice but it is what works 🤷‍♂️
Does resentment against other franchises fall into the category of "that garbage?" I've seen it so many times that I sometimes genuinely forget that the Famiboards community isn't like that, at least from my observation

Is it just me or did they completely mess up the colors and lighting? A lot of the original game's lighting seemed to be done through baked-in texture shadows/shading and they've completely botched that when redoing the game's textures. On top of colors just looking oversaturated.

Squiddicus Is a very glaring example of this. It's also pretty obvious in the video's thumbnail comparison too, just look at the lack of shadow on DK's chest and stomach.

Is it just me or did they completely mess up the colors and lighting? A lot of the original game's lighting seemed to be done through baked-in texture shadows/shading and they've completely botched that when redoing the game's textures. On top of colors just looking oversaturated.

Squiddicus Is a very glaring example of this. It's also pretty obvious in the video's thumbnail comparison too, just look at the lack of shadow on DK's chest and stomach.

Something looked off about Squiddicus when I saw the trailer and now I know why. They completely messed up the shadows. Hopefully they fix this before release. Forever's Panzer Dragoon remake was pretty bad before it got patched into a passable state.

It's pretty difficult to say. I think we can safely say 2 million, but it could be pretty evergreen. If the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, which I assume it will be, then I could see it having really strong legs since the DK theme park will be this huge advertisement for the franchise moving forward. If that's the case I could see it selling ~5 million over several years.

Another thing of note is I found it weird how everyone assumed DKCR had to be ported by like Retro or Monster games. It's a pretty basic project. I never understood why people were hung up on it having to be Retro. It's just an HD port of a 3DS game (I'm assuming they used the 3DS as a base - not a game dev though). I think Retro ported TF because they just cancelled God knows what before moving on to MP4 and they were free.

I never expected Forever to be the devs! Color me surprised!

I'll defend Forever Entertainment to a point; -- I feel they reaching for games like The House of the Dead and Front Mission, even if the results aren't quite stellar as the originals, it's more important to have these hard to access games on modern systems then not having any version at all.

I'm sure DKCR HD is also a game that Nintendo would provide all the support for them to get it right, unlike SEGA which just licensed their IPs without much supervision...

buuuut.. I think even humoring the idea of the scrapped K. Rool fight from Tropical Freeze Switch popping up here is out of the question now :<

Back
Top Bottom