• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

These might be better ways of playing the first two. One of the reasons I remember not enjoying Donkey Kong Land was that it seemed that everything blended together. The game kind of looked like a mess.
Land on the standard GBC palette does fix this a bit. Because DK has his own color outline that helps him and enemies stand out more.

But that really doesn't compare to a full color range at all.

Perhaps DK will bump up A tier after the Mario film releases and monkEPD shows it's face. 👀
The most important thing is that MonkEPD just needs to be a sign that DK and pals have a) a firm vision for the brand going forward and b) a much, much, MUCH clear idea that we won't have to wait another decade+ for the next game.

They accomplish that, and DK can easily recapture the standing he had back in the 90s. There's a reason Diddy was perhaps Sonic's "best rival" back in those days.

if illumination does make a DK movie should it just be called" The Donkey Kong Movie" or "Donkey Kong Country"?
The Donkey Kong
Only In Theaters This Summer

why is this the donkey kong community and not the donkey kong kongmunity
"Community" in place of "Country," I assume.
Though "Donkey Kongmunity" woulda had my vote if there was one.

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Donkey Kong Country Forever
Donkey Kong Country & Robin
Donkey Kong Begins
The Donk Knight
The Donk Knight Rises
The Donkey Kong

21a.jpg

2 is master class! Chef's kiss. Fantasmic!

3 is an acquired taste.
I beat 3 on December 31st and good thing I did because that would’ve been a terrible way to start off the new year.

Not without it’s good levels but it’s baffling that it was made by Rare at all.

I beat 3 on December 31st and good thing I did because that would’ve been a terrible way to start off the new year.

It was made by the team that would go on to work on DK64. The 2 team moved to Project Dream. So there is some differing philosophies going on.

I don't think it's bad overall, but it relies a lot on one off gimmicks to try and stretch it. I do really like the overworld though. They could have done so much more with it.

In my opinion, 3 has the Godfather Part 3 effect where it was good but it followed two masterpieces so it looks a lot worse by comparison.

DKC3 definitely just feels different from the first 2 imo. The music, the enemies, the overall vibes.

Personally it’s my least favorite DKC game, I wouldn’t say it’s bad but just doesn’t really line up with what I love about DKC.

I do really like the atmospheric tracks of 3, but the SNES compression does hurt it. The "restoration" tracks really did highlight just how much that soundtrack in particular used a lot of more subtle sounds that just don't come across as well on SNES.

But I really did love how Grant translated them to GB for DKLand 3. His conversions of all the SNES tracks are so underrated it hurts.

One weird thing about DKC3 is that the bonus rooms are easier to find than in either of the previous games. It’s the only DKC game I beat 100% for that reason, even though I prefer 2 overall.

I have a hard time between ranking DKC1 or DKC3 as the 2nd best of the SNES trilogy. DKC3 built on what worked in DKC2 but suffers from an overreliance on gimmick stages and level designs that I don't think are quite as good as the first two games. I think it's approach to the overworld and having small adventure game aspects is actually quite clever but it does rely on the "Simon Says" minigame too much as your reward for finding a secret. That said there are some levels I really did enjoy that gave good variety and its very satisfying to 100%.

DKC1 on the other hand feels like a proof of concept and there are things mechanically that aren't as tight as either of the sequels, but it's fun to blast through in spite of it being shorter and not as polished. It's also the most "to the point" of the trilogy with not many gimmick stages. Going for 100% also isn't that enjoyable in this game just cause there's no reward with extra stages and the bonus room games are both less fun and more tedious to find.

DKC3 definitely just feels different from the first 2 imo. The music, the enemies, the overall vibes.

Personally it’s my least favorite DKC game, I wouldn’t say it’s bad but just doesn’t really line up with what I love about DKC.
weird that's the exact reason why it's my favourite of the OG games (kinda the same reason I vastly prefer MM to OoT)

DKC1 is my favorite of the trilogy overall tbh. It has the most appealing environments to me, and the gameplay is the most fun imo, it's just pure simple platforming, while the sequels kind of add in other stuff that isn't really as fun imo.

Fraud moment but I still haven't beaten DKC2. I played a decent amount of it and while it's great, I don't know, it just didn't click with me too much. I think for me the lack of difficulty in the actual platforming stages, plus the pirate theme, plus the OST just not being as good are big sticking points. It feels like a game made to be more cartoony, which is fine, but it's also way less atmospheric, which kind of takes away some of the appeal of 1.

It sucks because I think overall the rough edges of 1 were refined in 2, but I just can't say I love it the same way.

Fraud moment but I still haven't beaten DKC2. I played a decent amount of it and while it's great, I don't know, it just didn't click with me too much. I think for me the lack of difficulty in the actual platforming stages, plus the pirate theme, plus the OST just not being as good are big sticking points. It feels like a game made to be more cartoony, which is fine, but it's also way less atmospheric, which kind of takes away some of the appeal of 1.

It sucks because I think overall the rough edges of 1 were refined in 2, but I just can't say I love it the same way.
Whoa, the pirate theme slaps! The grimey and dark environments with the danger lurking around every corner feel while still having the occasional jaunty tunes. It's pure adventure!

DKC1 is my favorite of the trilogy overall tbh. It has the most appealing environments to me, and the gameplay is the most fun imo, it's just pure simple platforming, while the sequels kind of add in other stuff that isn't really as fun imo.
I should agree with this, as I tend to prefer the type of environment design and progression that DKC1 employs, and I'm not into pirate stuff so having everything suddenly pirate-themed in DKC2 should put me in a position to prefer 1 but 2 just won me over with the level design, music, and the addition of Dixie.

I disagree about the atmosphere. For me, DKC2 is the second-most richly atmospheric SNES game behind Super Metroid.

I find the gimmicks in 3 to be more annoying than fun. One in particular is the level that reverses your controls. Had to play that one upside down.

Still a good game overall, but I might rank it the lowest out of the Country games.

i just finished Tropical Freeze on Switch after not having played it since on the Wii U, still a great game. But it made me more aware of the void of not having Returns on the Switch. It feels like they both really complete each other honestly.

Whoa, the pirate theme slaps! The grimey and dark environments with the danger lurking around every corner feel while still having the occasional jaunty tunes. It's pure adventure!
I gotta be honest, I've just never been into pirates. It's fine but just there for me. Maybe I just need to give it another chance and i'd click, stranger things have happened.

I disagree about the atmosphere. For me, DKC2 is the second-most richly atmospheric SNES game behind Super Metroid.

Ok, but does it have something as atmospheric as this though? (It's fine, I knew my opinion was unpopular. Still like 2)

I will never understand the DKC3 slander. It's my favorite DKC game and one of my favorite games of all time.

I honestly can't think about a bad thing to say about it. All of the complaints always baffle me, not they usually elaborate more than "it's not DKC2".

I would also have to agree DKC1 is more atmospheric than 2, which is still very moody but goes for more of an adventure theme. The truth is, DKC3 is more atmospheric than both.

Last edited:
I will never understand the DKC3 slander. It's my favorite DKC game and one of my favorite games of all time.

I honestly can't think about a bad thing to say about it. All of the complaints always baffle me, not they usually elaborate more than "it's not DKC2".

I would also have to agree DKC1 is more atmospheric than 2, which is still very moody but goes for more of an adventure theme. The truth is, DKC3 is more atmospheric than both.
DKC2 is my least favorite game in the Rare trilogy, though not by a lot, just by a small margin. 1 is my favorite and 3 is almost there.

Btw, it’s funny to me that everyone universally agrees that either DKC2 or TF has the best soundtrack. I think DKC1 has the best soundtrack when you consider how almost all of the iconic songs that are associated with the DK franchise originated from that game.

I think a problem DKC3 has is that not as many people played it on launch because the N64 was out so many people playing it now don’t have nostalgia goggles on

Last edited:
Tbh, I think “atmosphere” is a pretty subjective thing. All the DKC games have different moods/environments, it just comes down to which you prefer.

I love how this thread has just started and we're already getting the (non-toxic) hot takes. You've made me more excited to try DKC3 than I already was!

This is how we'll survive until a new DK is announced

Btw, it’s funny to me that everyone universally agrees that either DKC2 or TF has the best soundtrack. I think DKC1 has the best soundtrack when you consider how almost all of the iconic songs that are associated with the DK franchise originated from that game.

If someone asked me the nearly impossible question of what's my favorite single song in all of video games, I think I would have to say DK Island Swing.

I should agree with this, as I tend to prefer the type of environment design and progression that DKC1 employs, and I'm not into pirate stuff so having everything suddenly pirate-themed in DKC2 should put me in a position to prefer 1 but 2 just won me over with the level design, music, and the addition of Dixie.
Dixie instead of Diddy in 1 would make it a lot better for sure

I think a problem DKC3 has is that not as many people played it on launch because the N64 was out so many people playing it now don’t have nostalgia goggles on

Yeah, I understand that, but I also expected we would have moved on from that at this point haha A lot of games that weren't well received at the time of their released were later recognized as great games, but boy that didn't happen with DKC3. I don't understand why, I don't see how it's that different from the geniality of DKC2 when you compare them without any biases or expectations that could have existed at that time.

It's also such a beautiful game, probably up there with Yoshi's Island as the better looking game on the system.

I love how this thread has just started and we're already getting the (non-toxic) hot takes. You've made me more excited to try DKC3 than I already was!

This is how we'll survive until a new DK is announced

Nice, let us know your impressions when you get to it!

To me DKC1 feels like exploring a jungle with dangerous beasts, DKC2 is about fantasy and adventure, and DKC3 is about exploring nature and the wilderness, like going on a dangerous hike. Very different settings but gameplay is top notch in all, and only got better and more refined imo, so 3 is still my favorite. It's also the most atmospheric, I'd say DKC1 is more creepy but 3 feels more menacing and mysterious.

Since we're talking about atmosphere and DKC3, let me share these fantastic pieces of music that perfectly set the tone of those settings in the game:

This fucking song, man. It's equal parts paralyzingly beautiful and menacing, just like climbing a waterfall would be. Those synth instruments are absolutely gorgeous. The song tells you that place is a like a forbidden paradise, you dared to come here now you better be careful not to pay the price. The song also has a lot of reverb and echoing, which gives you the dimension of a very great height.

And this one? It perfectly encapsulates being lost on a labyrinthic complex of caves and the more you walk the deeper it feels you're going and more lost you are. And yet, you might get distracted by how the caves are hauntingly beautiful, only to remember it's probably going to kill if you can't find your way out of there. All of that is reflected in the song when it alternates and juxtaposes upbeat and very somber notes. It's a weird song, creepy and instigating at the same time. Some parts sound like focusing to solve a puzzle, which is how it feels trying to figure out the layout and finding your way in the cave.

Last edited:
Donkey Kong Country 3 is my favorite Donkey Kong game. It has a more laid back feel I really appreciate both in the levels and the world map structure. The level themes are all pretty interesting, the gimmicky stages are all pretty fun (I love the axe slicing the tree level and the race level especially), and defeating the Koin enemies is often clever and fun. Dixie is my favorite DK character so I was very happy she leads the game. Is it the best on every front? No, but it is the game I just enjoy playing the most.

Since we're talking about atmosphere and DKC3, let me share these fantastic pieces of music that perfectly set the tone of those settings in the game:

This fucking song, man. It's equal parts paralyzingly beautiful and menacing, just like climbing a waterfall would be. Those synth instruments are absolutely gorgeous. The song tells you that place is a like a forbidden paradise, you dared to come here now you better be careful not to pay the price. The song also has a lot of reverb and echoing, which gives you the dimension of a very great height.

And this one? It perfectly encapsulates being lost on a labyrinthic complex of caves and the more you walk the deeper it feels you're going and more lost you are. And yet, you might get distracted by how the caves are hauntingly beautiful, only to remember it's probably going to kill if you can't find your way out of there. All of that is reflected in the song when it alternates and juxtaposes upbeat and very somber notes. It's a weird song, creepy and instigating at the same time. Some parts sound like focusing to solve a puzzle, which is how it feels trying to figure out the layout and finding your way in the cave.

So, I feel it should be reiterated that this is not how the music comes off in game or back in 1996. This is:

It goes to show you how Ms. Novakovic was doing her best with the tech at the time, and damn did she pushed the subtleties on a machine you really couldn't.

Quoted by: Leo
So, I feel it should be reiterated that this is not how the music comes off in game or back in 1996. This is:

It goes to show you how Ms. Novakovic was doing her best with the tech at the time, and damn did she pushed the subtleties on a machine you really couldn't.

The restored versions are my favorite way to listen to the songs now because they're so faithful and much cleaner, but they sounded perfectly fine on the SNES for me as well. It's just a bit more muffled in comparison, but you could hear every instrument. It's not like GBA where the audio can get very grating, I think the quality of the og SNES renditions is very good, I would even say they sound more like PS1 songs than SNES.

Back
Top Bottom