• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

I think both the SNES and GBA versions have their own merits. I love all 6 personally and view them as completely different experiences. Even the GBC version of DKC has some unique content even though it's kinda almost made obsolete by DKC on GBA lol

If they ever hit NSO (which is possible since Nintendo is doing the Mario Advance games), I think I'll play through them again to get a better hang of what they're offering. I admit I was way more a purist back when I played them than I am today.

Here I am to prestige the thread! (Missed the first page!).. If we were on a crossover episode with DK Vine before, now the bridge between dimensions is finally wide-open (just like the DKU and the Mushroom World, as some would like to say ;P )

-- and I don't have much time left before leaving for work today.. but here's a shot-out to Paon! Of course, I love Rare, Retro and even everything Nintendo made internally (including Arcade games and MvDK games), but I'll always respect and love Paon's output during DK's more uncertain years (which, by the way, were much richer in presence than is today...)

DK: Jungle Climber is sublime to me! I love the pre-rendered graphics that evoke the Rare titles and Xananab is fun! I loved beating the game with my little sister back then, and I have strong nostalgia for it 💕

God I hope Diddy stars in his own game again once the Donkey Kong franchise becomes reestablished. So much you can do with that little guy alone! FPS, Contra style shooter, a sequel to a particular racing game, etc.

And why stop there? Lanky's Balloon Fight, Wrinkly Kong Math, Cranky Teaches Typing, The Binding of Kiddy Kong, Style Savvy Bluster Kong Edition. The possibilities are endless!

Here I am to prestige the thread! (Missed the first page!).. If we were on a crossover episode with DK Vine before, now the bridge between dimensions is finally wide-open (just like the DKU and the Mushroom World, as some would like to say ;P )

-- and I don't have much time left before leaving for work today.. but here's a shot-out to Paon! Of course, I love Rare, Retro and even everything Nintendo made internally (including Arcade games and MvDK games), but I'll always respect and love Paon's output during DK's more uncertain years (which, by the way, were much richer in presence than is today...)

DK: Jungle Climber is sublime to me! I love the pre-rendered graphics that evoke the Rare titles and Xananab is fun! I loved beating the game with my little sister back then, and I have strong nostalgia for it 💕
These games were good but hard af. Would love a Clu Clu World game on switch with the same mechanics.

dkTybNY.gif

Heck yes. This is one of the first franchises to get me into video games.

Quick shout out to the Land games, I suppose. I've been adding them to the backlog here and there for shorter stuff to play and they're surprisingly good for GB games. Most of the snes gameplay carries over, though simplified, and the levels are completely different from the Country games so its a new experience if you've never played them. They seem like perfect fits for nso, if you want to wait for Nintendo to get another batch of Rare games on Switch, if not, you probably know an easy way to experience them, either way you're in for a good little time if you're a DK fan

Quick shout out to the Land games, I suppose. I've been adding them to the backlog here and there for shorter stuff to play and they're surprisingly good for GB games. Most of the snes gameplay carries over, though simplified, and the levels are completely different from the Country games so its a new experience if you've never played them. They seem like perfect fits for nso, if you want to wait for Nintendo to get another batch of Rare games on Switch, if not, you probably know an easy way to experience them, either way you're in for a good little time if you're a DK fan
I recently played DKL1 for the first time. I tracked down a copy and played it on my Analogue Pocket.

I had a good time with it, aside from one late-game level that I found infuriating. It's interesting how I've been a Donkey Kong fan since I was 5 years old when the original DKC first came out and yet Donkey Kong Land completely passed me by for all these years. I guess I never knew it was a completely unique game. I do recommend Donkey Kong fans check it out if they've never played it before, because it felt to me like a "lost" new Donkey Kong game I never experienced before.

I've heard Donkey Kong Land 2 and 3 are closer to their SNES DKC counterparts. Is that true?

Land III is a really solid Game Boy platformer that I think any DKC fan should play. Land 1 is an interesting little experiment with lots of weirdness that is fun to explore though the gameplay is the worst of the bunch. Land 2, while technically having new level layouts, is mostly just a remix of DKC2. Not bad but easily the lowest priority.

I've never played them before. I definitely will when they hit NSO, as a big fan of the Rare trilogy, it will be like getting more of something I thought was long gone.

I've never played them before. I definitely will when they hit NSO, as a big fan of the Rare trilogy, it will be like getting more of something I thought was long gone.

if you arent opposed to more ahem free wheeling options, the first two DKL games have excellent color hacks

DKL: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6076/
DKL2: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6866/

DKL3 actually has an official colorization, but was only released in japanese. the jpn version has an english translation patch tho: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1757/

Last edited:
I've heard Donkey Kong Land 2 and 3 are closer to their SNES DKC counterparts. Is that true?
Yes and no. Their stories are mirrors of their console counterparts, and the level themes are mirrors of their console counterparts. But once again, they are absolutely brand new levels meant for the screen crunch of the GB.

Never played Barrel Blast. Honest question, is it as bad as everyone says?
It's.. uuh... tiresome at worst.. and a innofensive/bland racing game at best.

But, as I mentioned, I appreciate the amount of fanservice Paon poured in those games, and Barrel Blast is no exception (you can play as Kopter, for God's sake!); It's easier now to return to the game with that lens, especially when past Returns, the amount of content made by Rare has shrunken significantly.

It's.. uuh... tiresome at worst.. and a innofensive/bland racing game at best.

But, as I mentioned, I appreciate the amount of fanservice Paon poured in those games, and Barrel Blast is no exception (you can play as Kopter, for God's sake!); It's easier now to return to the game with that lens, especially when past Returns, the amount of content made by Rare has shrunken significantly.
Oooo. I'm so glad someone mentioned Paon. I CAN'T wait for King of Swing to come on to NSO and for more people to try it out. People may sleep on it, but the Jungle Climber Duology absolutely slaps!

Last edited:
Oooo. I'm so glad someone mentioned Paon. I CAN'T wait for Jungle Climber to come on to NSO and for more people to try it out. People may sleep on it, but the Jungle Climber Duology absolutely slaps!
I’ve played King of Swing and although the gameplay was a bit jarring at first, I quickly came to love that game. I’d love to try Jungle Climber if it came to NSO since I hear it’s better than King of Swing

Never played Barrel Blast. Honest question, is it as bad as everyone says?
I'm actually going to a buddys place tonight, the only DK game that he has ever owned is Barrel Blast lmao. He's played some of the (ahem) better games in the series, but only owned Barrel Blast.

Might as well share a little bit of personal history with Donkey Kong:

For people who have seen me on this forum before, I have a bit of a reputation for being a big Metroid guy, but Donkey Kong was also hugely formative to me as well. Donkey Kong Country is the first game I remember hugely anticipating the release for, when I was 5 years old back in 1994. I had played Mario and other games on NES and SNES before, but DKC is one where I remember the build-up to release and the joy of playing it for the first time very vividly. Before its release, I would watch the promotional VHS tape for it over and over, where I have a clear memory of eating s'mores while eagerly watching it one time. When the game came out, I would play it with my dad, who would play as Donkey where I would play as Diddy. My dad really helped me get through some of the harder parts, especially the final boss, which he played for hours before finally beating (he was so angry about the fake-out credits).

Then DKC2 came out the next year and I loved it just as much. I remember kissing the box when I opened it on Christmas. Then of course, DKC3 was my next obsession the following year. I'm autistic, and as a kid I was much less capable of reeling in my passions, so I remember kids on the bus to school getting really annoyed with me because I would talk about Donkey Kong day in and day out. That's how much of a control it had on me though; Donkey Kong made me absurdly happy.

I of course continued playing every major release. I guess I haven't talked about Donkey Kong a whole lot on this forum because the series has been kind of dormant for a while, but now that its future is looking bright, I can't wait for what comes next. I am so happy to be able to join this community and talk with all of you about a series that means a lot to me.

Last edited:
funniest thing about barrel blast is how they "saved" it for the wii despite the central gimmick being gone and the game looking not particularly good for a gamecube game even

While we're talking about Barrel Blast, I've mentioned this in another thread but it's still interesting to know that Nintendo's in-house character team were responsible for all the new Kremling characters in that game.

『ドンキーコング たるジェットレース』開発スタッフインタビュー:ページ2

Izuno: In fact, some of the rival Kremlin Army characters are making their first appearance in this title. At first, Mr. Paon suggested new characters, and in the end, Nintendo's team in charge of characters prepared them in-house. We also assigned voice actors to each of the characters.

img_2_3.jpg

A lot of people over the years have always attributed the modernized redesigns for the Rare DK Crew to Paon, but it's become kinda apparent to me that a lot of them were more than likely made by this character team at Nintendo. It adds up, considering you have cases like Tiny where Rare put all the blame on Nintendo for her new teenage design in Diddy Kong Racing DS and onwards or how some of those modernized designs are still being used in games today, like Dixie, Funky and also even K. Rool over in Smash Bros.

Confession: I've never beaten the final boss of Tropical Freeze. Gave up once after losing every life. Then tried again in co-op and then lost all lives again

Confession: I've never beaten the final boss of Tropical Freeze. Gave up once after losing every life. Then tried again in co-op and then lost all lives again
If we're doing Tropical Freeze confessions: the only way I was able to beat all of the KONG letter levels was with Funky Kong.

Use the Golden Hearts power up with Dixie. It’s so ridiculously overpowered because you double your health

Well, I went ahead and did this:

JCY3JlI.png

It's been on my radar for a while. One of the Donkey Kong games that completely passed me by. Might as well check it out.

(if it comes to NSO anytime soon I will go bananas)

JCY3JlI.png

It's been on my radar for a while. One of the Donkey Kong games that completely passed me by. Might as well check it out.

Very excited to play King of Swing on NSO next month, thank you for you sacrifice 🙏

Have to say, I think DKC1 has my favorite bonus rooms. I just love running around and collecting tons of bananas as different animal buddies, plus the music adds such good vibes.

Tropical Freeze has the best music of the DKC series. It’s like god tier
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I'd still give it to DKC1. It might be because I like how somber/melancholic/atmospheric a lot of it is. I feel like Tropical Freeze sometimes didn't focus on that as much, but when it did it was amazing (for example, some of the tracks when you go back to the island and it's frozen) but also, Tropical Freeze had so much music that some of it was underutilized in the game, which made it less memorable (iirc the best water theme in the entire game is used for like 1 minute?).

Still, both are the best OSTs in the DK series imo

2 is still my favorite OST. 1's is great too, but 2 is one of the all time greats in gaming OSTs.

TF's is excellent as well and 3's is underrated - the GBA version is kind of a mixed bag that doesn't always fit, but even that had some bangers.

Not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but it's what came to mind for me, it comes in between rocket barrel sections in Twilight Terror:

oh hey, it's a remix of Stickerbrush Symphony from the goat ost (gostoat?) of DKC2!!!

Not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but it's what came to mind for me, it comes in between rocket barrel sections in Twilight Terror:

Ok I might be misremembering but I think I meant this song:

Think my comment was maybe a bit exaggerative, but I seem to remember a lot of underwater remixes replacing this song and I always felt sad at that because it's such a great original composition

Ok I might be misremembering but I think I meant this song:

Think my comment was maybe a bit exaggerative, but I seem to remember a lot of underwater remixes replacing this song and I always felt sad at that because it's such a great original composition

Oh yeah, that’s another underrated song for sure.

Man the feels when you get back to the island and this plays in one of the first levels. Ugh. UGH. Such a beautiful song.

I really need to replay TF because I don't hardly remember any of this

JCY3JlI.png

I always felt the sequel, Jungle Climber on DS was much better. Thanks to vertical dual screen display, you could charge and launch DK to even farther heights and it was pretty fun pinpointing the exact location you wanted to hang on to. It also was considerably longer than the first game.

God, I miss Paon...

I asked Kit and Krysta about how Nintendo views their brands internally and they had some interesting things to say about Donkey Kong and other IP. I'll put a timestamp in the video below (2:06:51) but I'll summarize here for anyone curious.

* Nintendo's hierarchy of IP basically goes Mario #1 (Pokemon tied at #1 if we wanted to count that as just "Nintendo") then just a smidge below is Zelda at #2, and then further down is the kind of B tier brands like DK, Kirby, and Yoshi.

* Nintendo has done brand/character recognition surveys with the general public before and DK surprisingly ranks high up. He's pretty much the one that comes after Mario. (Which I can believe given how business partners in IP expansion are showing interest in DK like theme parks, the Mario movie, and now Lego)

* It seems like Nintendo has no "brand managers" for their different IP with regards to charting out the future of the IP. It sounds like people are more assigned on a project by project basis like for a particular game. This may help explain why DK's handling this generation has been odd to us in the fandom. (They've mentioned before that Nintendo does have strict IP teams but it sounds like those are more for representing the IP correctly like "you need to adjust the size of Mario's mustache" sorta stuff)

That's nice to hear DK is so popular/recognizable, not even just DK as a character but also DK as a series.

Nintendo's hierarchy of IP basically goes Mario #1 (Pokemon tied at #1 if we wanted to count that as just "Nintendo") then just a smidge below is Zelda at #2, and then further down is the kind of B tier brands like DK, Kirby, and Yoshi.
I wanna hear from the people who were saying Metroid is Nintendo’s third pillar

if you arent opposed to more ahem free wheeling options, the first two DKL games have excellent color hacks

DKL: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6076/
DKL2: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6866/

DKL3 actually has an official colorization, but was only released in japanese. the jpn version has an english translation patch tho: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1757/

These might be better ways of playing the first two. One of the reasons I remember not enjoying Donkey Kong Land was that it seemed that everything blended together. The game kind of looked like a mess.

Back
Top Bottom