• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

Since we're talking about atmosphere and DKC3, let me share these fantastic pieces of music that perfectly set the tone of those settings in the game:

This fucking song, man. It's equal parts paralyzingly beautiful and menacing, just like climbing a waterfall would be. Those synth instruments are absolutely gorgeous. The song tells you that place is a like a forbidden paradise, you dared to come here now you better be careful not to pay the price. The song also has a lot of reverb and echoing, which gives you the dimension of a very great height.

And this one? It perfectly encapsulates being lost on a labyrinthic complex of caves and the more you walk the deeper it feels you're going and more lost you are. And yet, you might get distracted by how the caves are hauntingly beautiful, only to remember it's probably going to kill if you can't find your way out of there. All of that is reflected in the song when it alternates and juxtaposes upbeat and very somber notes. It's a weird song, creepy and instigating at the same time. Some parts sound like focusing to solve a puzzle, which is how it feels trying to figure out the layout and finding your way in the cave.

Anyone who looks at my username can tell I’m a huge DKC3 fan and the atmosphere is a big reason why. The way I’ve always thought about it is DK Island in DKC1 is familiar and relaxing, and DKC2 is hostile enemy territory, with the music reflecting that.

DKC3 on the other hand really nails the feeling of exploring uncharted, unknown territory. You really feel like you’re on an expedition. While I do like a lot of the GBA tracks, I think the SNES music perfectly captures the atmosphere the game is going for.

If we ever have a ST2 or a title update, I have the perfect name for it.

Kongfrontation.

This was the old King Kong ride at Universal Studios Orlando. It's perfect. Universal is building the theme park land and developing the movie, King Kong is another famous ape, and we're close to another DK game.

Fami -> Internet -> Fami

Although its a shame those outlets are “lying” by saying EPD is taking the same VV project, people will think its going yes or yes to be a 3D DK game when it really can be anything.

I remember reading that DK was supposedly cming from EPD but it's the first time that the rumor implies that it's the same project that started from Skylanders devs and then taken over by Nintendo.

I remain hopeful that we could see it this year!

literally nobody said that, ever.
Because it's actually the first pillar if you can appreciate it.

I remember reading that DK was supposedly cming from EPD but it's the first time that the rumor implies that it's the same project that started from Skylanders devs and then taken over by Nintendo.

I remain hopeful that we could see it this year!

Because it's actually the first pillar if you can appreciate it.
that's because this new rumor is conflating the epd game with the vicarious visions game, the source it's citing is nintendo prime who is just relaying the stuff that's previously been said about the vicarious visions game

they're both separate and completely different games

Anyone who looks at my username can tell I’m a huge DKC3 fan and the atmosphere is a big reason why. The way I’ve always thought about it is DK Island in DKC1 is familiar and relaxing, and DKC2 is hostile enemy territory, with the music reflecting that.

DKC3 on the other hand really nails the feeling of exploring uncharted, unknown territory. You really feel like you’re on an expedition. While I do like a lot of the GBA tracks, I think the SNES music perfectly captures the atmosphere the game is going for.

I subscribe every word, that is exactly what I have always thought, and that's why I love that soundtrack and I don't understand why a lot of people hate it, the atmosphere it created is great and different of the previous games.

Tbh, if I had to take a guess I'd say EPDK releases on the Switch and not the next system. It's a tough call either way but with the large amount of non-game DK stuff we're seeing now and in the near future makes me think this game is a sooner rather than later thing.

Wa-hey! 🍾 🥂

THANK YOU COMICBOOK.COM AND MYNINTENDONEWS! W
Although I'm glad that this story is garnering more attention from mainstream outlets, I'm not going to "thank" them for distorting my words. I never definitively stated that the game is launching on the Switch successor, nor did I claim that the current iteration of the game matches what Vicarious Visions was working on. I find it highly unlikely that EPD Tokyo would start over from scratch given that Miyamoto and co. were enthusiastic about the project, but I don't know anything beyond that. Now that some outlets are pushing the narrative that "the Super Mario Odyssey team is working on an open-world 3D Donkey Kong game and it's going to be a launch title for the Switch 2," people are going to be disappointed if we get something else—and that sucks. I'm dreading all of the tepid reactions from Nintendo YouTubers like Arlo, who believe 2D platformers are "lesser" games, if EPD's DK game doesn't align with these reports.

Tbh, if I had to take a guess I'd say EPDK releases on the Switch and not the next system. It's a tough call either way but with the large amount of non-game DK stuff we're seeing now and in the near future makes me think this game is a sooner rather than later thing.
Counterpoint: with another mainline Zelda probably not coming for years, DK could be a great launch game to showcase the next system.

Although I'm glad that this story is garnering more attention from mainstream outlets, I'm not going to "thank" them for distorting my words. I never definitively stated that the game is launching on the Switch successor, nor did I claim that the current iteration of the game matches what Vicarious Visions was working on. I find it highly unlikely that EPD Tokyo would start over from scratch given that Miyamoto and co. were enthusiastic about the project, but I don't know anything beyond that. Now that some outlets are pushing the narrative that "the Super Mario Odyssey team is working on an open-world 3D Donkey Kong game and it's going to be a launch title for the Switch 2," people are going to be disappointed if we get something else—and that sucks. I'm dreading all of the tepid reactions from Nintendo YouTubers like Arlo, who believe 2D platformers are "lesser" games, if EPD's DK game doesn't align with these reports.
Ditto to everything you just said my friend lol smh

Counterpoint: with another mainline Zelda probably not coming for years, DK could be a great launch game to showcase the next system.
Would it, though? Or would a 3D Mario or Mario Kart be more exciting to the general public? Im in agreement that DK is for Switch(though I feel the next system will be poised as an iterative successor and you’ll be able to play whatever games they launch with it on the original Switch as well).

Would it, though? Or would a 3D Mario or Mario Kart be more exciting to the general public? Im in agreement that DK is for Switch(though I feel the next system will be poised as an iterative successor and you’ll be able to play whatever games they launch with it on the original Switch as well).
It could go either way imo. It all depends on if Nintendo has the confidence in the DK brand to push it as a launch title or not. It sounds really weird to say that now, but who knows how mainstream DK will be in the next year or two with the movies and parks just around the corner. I tend to agree that it's more likely that a 3D Mario will be the launch title of the next system, but it's still a decent possibility it could be DK. There's also the possibility if the next Switch releases in March of 2024 or 2025 like the OG Switch did that they'll want a March game and a holiday game like they did with BotW and Odyssey. It's possible that Mario is that launch title and DK is the holiday game or vice versa.

I'm still leaning towards this game most likely being a current Switch game though tbh.

this art by the dkc3 artist really have the same feel

carl-tilley-cottage-core1.jpg

carl-tilley-loch-ness-cottage-1820x1024-1.jpg

carl-tilley-junglevista-01-1024x512.jpg

carl-tilley-nightclub-goth-1-1820x1024.jpg

carl-tilley-winter-castle-x-space-1920x1080.jpg

carl-tilley-winter-cabin-1820x1024-1.jpg

carl-tilley-volcano-1.jpg

It could go either way imo. It all depends on if Nintendo has the confidence in the DK brand to push it as a launch title or not. It sounds really weird to say that now, but who knows how mainstream DK will be in the next year or two with the movies and parks just around the corner. I tend to agree that it's more likely that a 3D Mario will be the launch title of the next system, but it's still a decent possibility it could be DK. There's also the possibility if the next Switch releases in March of 2024 or 2025 like the OG Switch did that they'll want a March game and a holiday game like they did with BotW and Odyssey. It's possible that Mario is that launch title and DK is the holiday game or vice versa.

I'm still leaning towards this game most likely being a current Switch game though tbh.
Agree with everything here. And yeah, I believe that DK and MP4 will be their big holiday titles this year.

I mean, yeah I think so. Well I should clarify, when I picture a new DK I'm thinking a breakout 3D exploration game, like DK having an Odyssey moment. I think a big 3D action platformer that's as gorgeous as DK games tend to be would be a great showcase, maybe even alongside (or close to) Prime 4 for a bit of contrast and variety at launch. And if it launches early in the year like the OG Switch did, then Mario Kart would be a summer hit and new 3D Mario for the holiday game. Would be a killer year.

Also I agree, I expect the system to act as an iterative successor with lots of crossgen support from Nintendo at the very least if not most small-to-medium 3rd party offerings as well. So I'm not saying, like, no DK on current Switch, but I am thinking it could be a killer showcase for SuperSwitch.

So do you think we are going straight to Donkey Kong 2D or that they have finally followed the DK 3D project? Thank you

What if they're making both a 2D and 3D DK and releasing them on the same day after a near decade hiatus like a certain other series.

So do you think we are going straight to Donkey Kong 2D or that they have finally followed the DK 3D project? Thank you
I don't know. My gut says 3D, but EPD Tokyo has been hiring level designers for a "2D action game," which could mean:

1) Their Donkey Kong game is 2D despite the Vicarious Visions game being 3D
2) Their Donkey Kong game is 3D but has 2D levels, similar to Super Mario Galaxy
3) They're assisting EPD Production Group No. 10 on 2D Mario
4) None of this means anything and we're overspeculating

2) Their Donkey Kong game is 3D but has 2D levels, similar to Super Mario Galaxy
I think this is the most likely scenario. Games like modern Sonic and Crash also use this formula and I could see DK following suit. If EPDK went through a dev time rivaling TOTK and came out a pure 2D Game, then it would likely mean they went back to the drawing board completely once or twice, or it's the single biggest 2D game ever, which is still possible, but doesn't sound that likely imo.

IMO, I prefer a linear 3D game with 2D sensibilities. Donkey Kong really is a masterclass of set pieces and I think that comes out best with linear design ala Crash.

I'm conflicted. Because on the one hand, I'm tired of everything needing to be bigger, almost open world. But on the other hand, I feel like you could argue DK benefits from bigger levels even more than Mario. The DK universe is just a lot more interesting and natural, has better environmental storytelling, etc. And, most importantly, DK's moveset would probably be limited enough that even in bigger levels, you could still craft linear challenges. You wouldn't have stuff like wall jumps or cappy that could easily break a challenge, at best you might have a roll.

In other words, I think making big levels but with linear challenges could work. Just don't make the levels excessively big. I'm thinking a Banjo Kazooie kind of game, just bigger and with better movement.

this art by the dkc3 artist really have the same feel

carl-tilley-cottage-core1.jpg

carl-tilley-loch-ness-cottage-1820x1024-1.jpg

carl-tilley-junglevista-01-1024x512.jpg

carl-tilley-nightclub-goth-1-1820x1024.jpg

carl-tilley-winter-castle-x-space-1920x1080.jpg

carl-tilley-winter-cabin-1820x1024-1.jpg

carl-tilley-volcano-1.jpg
This is really cool, thanks for sharing.

I'm conflicted. Because on the one hand, I'm tired of everything needing to be bigger, almost open world. But on the other hand, I feel like you could argue DK benefits from bigger levels even more than Mario. The DK universe is just a lot more interesting and natural, has better environmental storytelling, etc. And, most importantly, DK's moveset would probably be limited enough that even in bigger levels, you could still craft linear challenges. You wouldn't have stuff like wall jumps or cappy that could easily break a challenge, at best you might have a roll.

In other words, I think making big levels but with linear challenges could work. Just don't make the levels excessively big. I'm thinking a Banjo Kazooie kind of game, just bigger and with better movement.
IMO, I prefer a linear 3D game with 2D sensibilities. Donkey Kong really is a masterclass of set pieces and I think that comes out best with linear design ala Crash.
Yeah, I'm definitely torn. I do want 3D course-based platforming, 3D World is my favorite 3D Mario... but Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite 3D platformer ever.

I just want this game to exist :(

Personally I'd rather not go open world because I don't really see that formula working for Donkey Kong. Even DK64's levels got way too big at times for my tastes. Something like 3D World or Kirby and the Forgotten Land could work really well.

I used to be only wanting a level based 3D DK, but now I’m open to an open world (lol) 3D DK too, I feel like the DKC world would just be so great to explore, and there would be plenty of opportunity for platforming too. Maybe something similar to Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, mixed with BotW. But I’d be equally happy if they went the level based route too, similar to Crash. I think something like Pac Man World 2 could be a good middle ground too, where you get platforming levels but also room to explore.

Basically, I’d be pretty much happy with any new DK game at this point. I’d be equally happy with a new 2D game too.

Welcome to hell. The place where you can type one thing, someone will report it differently, it'll spread, and you are now held responsible for setting an expectation you never said.

The amount of conflation being done in these reports is astounding, honestly. Speculation/opinion is being reported as fact. Information that was never said is being reported or assumed.

The simple facts that the reports should have gotten right are: VV worked on a DK game. It's dead now. Nintendo is doing a DK project.

Everyone seems to have a different definition of open world. Open world could mean like BOTW (as described by Nintendo Prime what DK Freedom initially looked like), could mean a few big levels like Sonic Frontiers, hell, I've seen some people label DK 64 as open world. Any of those options sound good to me, but I get that one person's "open world" is another's "standard 3D platformer" and either way the phrase can excite or turn people off of the idea of this DK game.
Also I'm gonna throw down that I want as many playable kongs as possible. Doesn't need to be obnoxious with specific collectibles like DK64, but a roster of DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky and a bonus Funky/Lanky/Chunky/Tiny/Kiddy with each having their perks and disadvantages sounds great to me.

Decided to grab the DK Land trilogy on 3DS before the eshop closes. I was recommended to try at least the first DK Land because it's a totally new game and not just a GameBoy port of DKC1 compared to DKL2/DKL3 that act more like GameBoy ports of DKC2/DKC3.

Played through DKL1, and yeah it was a totally new game. It borrows assets, music, enemies, and gameplay ideas but otherwise it's a separate beast. I like how wild they get with the level themes after the first world with them being totally distinct from what Rare did with DK on SNES. Music was the best part, some bangers in there. The game is definitely janky with its controls and screen crunch killing you so I would put it below the other Rare DKs. Still a fun romp to check out, it thankfully isn't too long. (Also where the heck was the ending?)

Decided to grab the DK Land trilogy on 3DS before the eshop closes. I was recommended to try at least the first DK Land because it's a totally new game and not just a GameBoy port of DKC1 compared to DKL2/DKL3 that act more like GameBoy ports of DKC2/DKC3.

Played through DKL1, and yeah it was a totally new game. It borrows assets, music, enemies, and gameplay ideas but otherwise it's a separate beast. I like how wild they get with the level themes after the first world with them being totally distinct from what Rare did with DK on SNES. Music was the best part, some bangers in there. The game is definitely janky with its controls and screen crunch killing you so I would put it below the other Rare DKs. Still a fun romp to check out, it thankfully isn't too long. (Also where the heck was the ending?)
I think DKL was actually the first work of Grant Kirkhope on tracks.

This is really cool, thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I'm definitely torn. I do want 3D course-based platforming, 3D World is my favorite 3D Mario... but Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite 3D platformer ever.

I just want this game to exist :(
Wtf. Those are my exact favorites too! 3D World is my favorite Mario game, and Banjo-Kazooie is my all-time favorite 3D platformer. How do we have the same taste 😂

For the 2D vs 3D debate on MonkEPD, i'm personally leaning towards 2D because of the Tokyo recruitments, but I wouldn't mind a Course Clear style 3D DK ala 3D World or Forgotten Land, or a 2D / 3D hybrid like Crash or Boost Sonic (these could be one in the same). As long as they retain the signature weighty platforming of the Country series i'm sure i'll enjoy it.

I'm not super convinced by the open world concept rumored for Freedom, which is why i'm on the side of hoping EPD took their project in a seperate direction; and I think the next 3D Mario will have Sandbox 3D platformers covered so that would be unfortunate overlap for DK if they were making two of the same genre (tangentially related, but I can't see 3D Mario going open world either; it's my personal speculation that Bowser's Fury was an EPD experiment handed off to NST to finish, ala Wii Sports Club and Star Fox Zero in the Wii U era; so I think they've already experimented with and scrapped a more open design Mario).

Argh, I can't wait until the trees start going up, along with all the facades. This place will look so different by the end of the year.

This is the Orlando park that isn't opening until 2025; you'll want to look out for the Tokyo park construction to see stuff like that going up this year.

Trees likely won't go into place until next year. Epic Universe isn't opening until mid 2025.

This is the Orlando park that isn't opening until 2025; you'll want to look out for the Tokyo park construction to see stuff like that going up this year.
I know Orlando isn't opening until 2025, I'm just excited to see what it looks like when that goes up is all. We haven't seen anything of Tokyo and most people haven't even been sending drones to look at it from above. The best we've seen is long distance shots from across the park.

Personally, every time I played a 2D part in an EAD/EPD Tokyo 3D platform, I was ecstatic. I also loved Jungle Beat -- which, fittingly, is the latest internally-developed 2D platform, excluding the super-conservative New Mario games. So MonkEPD turning into 2DK (with some gameplay elements taken from Jungle Beat) would be my dream scenario.

As for the "Switch or Switch 2?" talk, I think it will be a Switch game. If the game launches concurrently with the theme park, I don't believe the family audience is ready to cash at least 400$ for a new system + the game. Except for Tropical Freeze, DK games have always been launched during the twilight years of a Nintendo console.

I've already seen the story of the next DK game being wrongly reported and distorced. Heck, I've seen some claim that is false with so confidence (while at the same breath, you can see the same person reporting Zippo stories like is legit lol), that I feel like it's so clear they didn't get the whole thing and just wanted to be part of the conversation; =_=

It's complicated.. you get stuff out of our bubble and all of the sudden, internet never gets any the nuance of things like this; it's all or nothing.. it's like when we first started talking about Nintendo taking over the franchise, and that happened close to E3, so everyone naturally started expecting it to be revealed right away, and since it didn't.. obviously, everything was false.

Being within the DK and Crash inner circles and seeing so much misinformation being shared on the outside, it's really frustrating...

But, what can you do; at least I THINK everyone is in the same page on the matter of Nintendo working on DK right now; and that is old news.

I've already seen the story of the next DK game being wrongly reported and distorced. Heck, I've seen some claim that is false with so confidence (while at the same breath, you can see the same person reporting Zippo stories like is legit lol), that I feel like it's so clear they didn't get the whole thing and just wanted to be part of the conversation; =_=

It's complicated.. you get stuff out of our bubble and all of the sudden, internet never gets any the nuance of things like this; it's all or nothing.. it's like when we first started talking about Nintendo taking over the franchise, and that happened close to E3, so everyone naturally started expecting it to be revealed right away, and since it didn't.. obviously, everything was false.

Being within the DK and Crash inner circles and seeing so much misinformation being shared on the outside, it's really frustrating...

But, what can you do; at least I THINK everyone is in the same page on the matter of Nintendo working on DK right now; and that is old news.
It's the telephone game dialed up to 11 on the internet. Gotta get the catchiest and most sensationalist titles out there. A small word flubbed here and there and viola, you've got a recipe for yellow page nonsense.

Is it annoying? Sure, but either way a new DK game is coming. Maybe it's just easier for me to disconnect myself from internet discourse but if people want to read a click bait headline, not do any of their own investigation, and then post something along the lines of "This is bullshit/completely true at face value! I am smarter than everyone else", then that's on them. There's been enough information released to the public (on the DK threads here and elsewhere) that's easy enough to find that spells out pretty clearly what to expect.

Nintendo really liked what they were seeing with Vicarious Visions game years ago. But VV was not able to dedicate the time and resources to further develop Donkey Kong, they needed their focus to be on Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.

So the game was mutually called off in 2017 out of good will

And that's when younger staff at Nintendo in-house sprung to the opportunity and said "now is our chance" championed with Miyamoto's desire to give DK a dedicated home Japan team

He was lifted by the young Nintendo staffers love of the DK franchise, and here we are

Back
Top Bottom