• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

I unfortunately have a hard time enjoying anything Nintendo makes when DK is constantly getting shafted in these directs. This will probably be one of my last posts here if DK is yet again a no show. 😔
Just wanted to say if DK doesn’t show to hang in there. While I’ve lost a lot of hope in DK being in the next Direct with a new game, I 100% think this is the year we see DK’s next game announced. He’ll be at the top of my prediction list for September if he misses today.

I don’t remember if you are a Kart fan or not, but decent chance we might get Diddy and DK Jungle Mountain in either Waves 5 or 6.

I frankly hate that every Direct that is announced, we gotta need to someone to come over and say "don't worry, we just need to be a bit more patient!", "the next one, for sure!', even before the thing is aired. And no offense to anyone that do that on good intentions.. it's just.. too tiring.. we've been on this position forever now. It gets me way too sour...

And to get even worse, all the Donkey Kong content on Mario spinoffs lately has been shrinking considerably.. so not even that to lift up our humor.

I wish we could at least look forward for a Direct with the likelyhood in our favor for once.

None of this would bother me if it wasn't for my failing health. I'm constantly having these mini strokes, one was so bad I'm having trouble simply walking like I've developed some kind of vertigo. I have no doubt in my mind DK's future will be bright. I just don't know if I'm going to live long enough to see it.

Anyways, I think I'm done with video games in general. I'm going to spend the rest of my life writing and illustrating my book, and try to find something that will make me happy. Perhaps everything will be okay and I'll live to see it all unfold for DK, but if not, I don't want to spend it all on sulking over a video game.

I think the best course of action for the rest of the DK fandom is to try and flood Nintendo's social media accounts with your love and admiration for the series. I know this community might seem small, but if you spread the love there's a chance other Nintendo fans who aren't necessarily DK fans might join in on that love.

As for me, this will likely be my last post here. I just want you to know the community has mean a lot to me and to, please, try not to fret over all of this. DK's time will come and it'll be glorious! 😊

Much love! ❤️❤️❤️

None of this would bother me if it wasn't for my failing health. I'm constantly having these mini strokes, one was so bad I'm having trouble simply walking like I've developed some kind of vertigo. I have no doubt in my mind DK's future will be bright. I just don't know if I'm going to live long enough to see it.

Anyways, I think I'm done with video games in general. I'm going to spend the rest of my life writing and illustrating my book, and try to find something that will make me happy. Perhaps everything will be okay and I'll live to see it all unfold for DK, but if not, I don't want to spend it all on sulking over a video game.

I think the best course of action for the rest of the DK fandom is to try and flood Nintendo's social media accounts with your love and admiration for the series. I know this community might seem small, but if you spread the love there's a chance other Nintendo fans who aren't necessarily DK fans might join in on that love.

As for me, this will likely be my last post here. I just want you to know the community has mean a lot to me and to, please, try not to fret over all of this. DK's time will come and it'll be glorious! 😊

Much love! ❤️❤️❤️
Stay strong out there, man. Your health is more important than any video game. Focus on what makes you happy and drown out the negativity, which I feel partially responsible for contributing to. It's very easy for people—myself included—to spiral and lose sight of what really matters, but at the end of the day, it's just video games.

Although the lack of Donkey Kong news is incredibly disappointing, Nintendo can't ignore us forever; there's a Donkey Kong theme park expansion opening in Japan next year and a spin-off film rumored to be in development. If anything, the lack of news suggests that the game will be more ambitious than what many people here expect. I stand by my initial report that Vicarious Visions was working on a 3D Donkey Kong game before development shifted to EPD Tokyo. While I'm not sure what form this new game will take, I'm confident that—even though it may not seem like it—Nintendo has Donkey Kong's best interests at heart.

So my knee-jerk reaction is that any rumored Donkey Kong game is farther out that what we hoped for. Nintendo just announced a 2D Mario, SMRPG remake, a Peach game, and a Luigi's Mansion 2 remake. While the timing of the next system still is not clear, I'm willing to bet the farm that 3D Mario will follow very close to the next system. With all of these Mario universe games in the works, I don't see how Donkey Kong fits in before 2025. I wouldn't mind being wrong since I want a new DK game, but the wait continues.

I'm incredibly optimistic about the future of DK, but it's admittedly very frustrating how horribly Nintendo has mismanaged this IP for the last 2 decades. The only other major Nintendo IP that has been messed up more than this IP is Star Fox imo. Yes I know there's a theme park coming next year and the DK movie is pretty much inevitable, but I just can't believe Nintendo didn't have some kind of contingency plan when the Vicarious Visions project fell apart. It's just shocking to me that they didn't do something as simple as porting Returns.

I suppose the silver lining here is that there's likely to be a ludicrously large DK blow out timed to the DK movie to capitalize on the popularity of the brand since this appears to be the plan with Mario. The bad part is that I think the DK movie might be the product that's going to anchor all of this so we might have to wait 12+ years to get anything new DK related since I don't see the movie coming out any early than 2025 ffs.

At the end of the days it's just video games guys so let's not sweat about it. At the same time, it's not wise going into any of these Directs expecting DK games as much as that sucks to say. Frankly, I expect the movie/theme park announcement way before any game announcement in the Direct. Maybe it's best to expect those things over anything game related

Lack of DK is disappointing but I am relieved the 2D Mario wasn't a blatant DKC rip-off like the fake leaks were saying lol.

As a DK fan, I'm bummed, but as a Mario fan I'm ecstatic. Land of contrast.

The only other major Nintendo IP that has been messed up more than this IP is Star Fox imo.

BogartDrinking+RESIZED.jpg

I suppose the silver lining here is that there's likely to be a ludicrously large DK blow out timed to the DK movie to capitalize on the popularity of the brand since this appears to be the plan with Mario. The bad part is that I think the DK movie might be the product that's going to anchor all of this so we might have to wait 12+ years to get anything new DK related since I don't see the movie coming out any early than 2025 ffs.
Well, then again, DK was in the Mario Movie, so maybe Nintendo will have plans for him next year. I still stand on my foot that we are going to get an announcement for a new DK game this year for the first half of 2024 as the theme park is going to be open soon. We just have to be patient until possibly the next Direct in September. Until then, let's just play some of the older DK games that we haven't played yet. Like for me, I still have to play through the Paon handheld games as well as replay through the Retro Studios duology before the new game comes out soon.

I'm incredibly optimistic about the future of DK, but it's admittedly very frustrating how horribly Nintendo has mismanaged this IP for the last 2 decades. The only other major Nintendo IP that has been messed up more than this IP is Star Fox imo. Yes I know there's a theme park coming next year and the DK movie is pretty much inevitable, but I just can't believe Nintendo didn't have some kind of contingency plan when the Vicarious Visions project fell apart. It's just shocking to me that they didn't do something as simple as porting Returns.

At the end of the days it's just video games guys so let's not sweat about it. At the same time, it's not wise going into any of these Directs expecting DK games as much as that sucks to say. Frankly, I expect the movie/theme park announcement way before any game announcement in the Direct. Maybe it's best to expect those things over anything game related

Yeah, it really sucks that they haven't done this, because both the Wii and 3DS versions are lacking. We need an HD port that runs at 60 with normal controls but also featuring the extra levels by Monster Games.

The Mario stuff was objectively really good. Even the Dark Moon HD version is neat, as I wanted to give that game a second chance since I hated it when it came out. But, no DK for the 10th year in a row has me bummed enough where even though I know I'll like these Mario games I'm not feeling any excitement. Maybe I just need to take a break from Nintendo for a while and focus on my pc backlog/other hobbies, maybe I'll get over it soon and get hyped up again, maybe a September direct rolls around with the DK blowout we want, but either way it wasn't the end of the world doomsday scenario that some of us worried about last night. I'm counting our blessings here lmao

Though not the kong content we wanted, we still got something DK related in mario kart. Looks like DK might be getting a Gladiator skin for Tour? Interesting that it resembles the hammer weilding Kongs from Crankys throne rooming the movie. Also, this would be our first alternative for ANY DK character. I wonder if Cranky follows suit with his movie garb as an alt.

I’m bummed I came away from the Direct thinking we might not even see DK’s next game this year anymore. I felt walking in at least September was a lock, but with all of the Mario projects and other rumored games floating it just seems a little too crowded. It’s certainly going to be a tentpole release alongside Metroid, Fire Emblem, and seemingly the Peach Game next year so spacing them out properly is important.

Still I’m looking forward to seeing what Waves 5 and 6 of Mario Kart are bringing to DK and I’m excited still for my planned replay and first 100% run of Donkey Kong 64 later this year.

Though not the kong content we wanted, we still got something DK related in mario kart. Looks like DK might be getting a Gladiator skin for Tour? Interesting that it resembles the hammer weilding Kongs from Crankys throne rooming the movie. Also, this would be our first alternative for ANY DK character. I wonder if Cranky follows suit with his movie garb as an alt.

Nice! while we don't know if there was ever actually an embargo on Kongs' in costumes, it's likely that they wanted a big burly character in Roman centurion gear and thought DK was the best look and simply made the case for it.

It sucks that a new DK game hasn't been announced, but the fact that Peach is getting a dedicated game tells me that the main cast of the Mario movie will all be getting in the limelight soon. The DK game might have just been too early in development when we first heard about it.

A bit of an update on the my DK Marathon in preparation for Donkey Kong EPD here. In light of said game not showing up in the June Nintendo Direct, I will be starting King of Swing on my birthday, which is July 27th when I ask for it and Jungle Climber for the event. Originally, I was going to get both games when I thought that DK EPD was announced in the Direct. However, that is now not going to be the case. Hopefully, me playing through both handheld Paon games will distract me a bit before the inevitable September Direct, in which I feel more confident that the rumored game will be announced for next year.

The reality is that 2D Mario and 2D Donkey Kong were never going to be revealed in the same presentation. Especially if one was being positioned as the main holiday title. The staff absences we know of, the Kyoto 2D level designer posting from 2019, and the movie made Mario the much likelier option.

I’d wait until EPD Tokyo’s 2D game shows up before losing all hope.

My thought, after continuing to not see this game materialize, is that it may make more sense to be on the successor, given the plans Nintendo has for this IP outside games. Like, Nintendo wants to reignite the IP, there's going to be a movie and the theme park. But the Switch is nearing the baton pass.

It makes more sense, to me, to have this thing launch early on the next system. Not only does the IP then presumably become an evergreen (not that it lacks that potential on Switch, it's just that Switch will be done soon) and benefit from the increased eyes games tied to a new system garner, but its lifespan won't be quickly curbed when the next system arrives... pretty soon. Therefore being available on hardware more contemporaneous to the movie and theme park.

Like, if the successor arrives next year, the DK game has maybe a few months before attention towards the Switch begins its permanent descent. If it arrives on the successor, it has years, and overlaps with all the future plans. I'd think the benefit of having the IP on their current hardware to complement the other stuff and synergize more effectively is something Nintendo would value.

And of course there can and probably will be sequels, but I have no idea when those will show up. EPD typically doesn't rush them. So I'm not holding my breath we'd get one with any expediency on the next system if this game launches on the Switch.

I just think, from a strategic perspective, considering the impending DK deluge, there is much higher utility pushing this game to that system.

It makes more sense, to me, to have this thing launch early on the next system. Not only does the IP then presumably become an evergreen (not that it lacks that potential on Switch, it's just that Switch will be done soon) and benefit from the increased eyes games tied to a new system garner, but its lifespan won't be quickly curbed when the next system arrives... pretty soon. Therefore being available on hardware more contemporaneous to the movie and theme park.
Two arguments that I can make for DK being on the current Switch is that for one, having it on there with a 100+ million user install base could help it a lot. I mean, we are getting a full-fledge new 2D Mario coming out this October and those sell VERY well. Another example of a late release doing very well on Nintendo's hardware is the first generation of Pokémon games on the Game Boy as those games practically launched an entire media franchise. Number two is the fact that according to Ubisoft, Nintendo's next system will not only be backwards compatible with the current Switch's library, but games may be optimized for the new hardware. DK could fall under one of those games that does that, meaning that may not look outdated immediately.

Going to ask all of you this. I know that I said that I wouldn't play through Jungle Beat for my marathon, but since my birthday is coming up in about a month, should I get the GameCube version of JB, especially since the new DK game will likely not come out for quite a while?

I had a dream that the new Donkey Kong game was announced.

It played like Donkey Kong 64 and had the art style of the Donkey Kong Country cartoon.

Jumped over from the DKVine forums but man, it's really getting to me that DK keeps getting everything but a new game at this point. Are there any new-ish rumours surrounding one?

Contemplating if I want to take a trip to Japan just to visit SNW or just wait a year and be a days drive away from the Orlando park with DK lmao. If anything else I'm praying we get a Miyamoto hosted DK Park direct (much like the Mario one we saw in 2020) later this year to show me what I would be missing out on lmao

Going to ask all of you this. I know that I said that I wouldn't play through Jungle Beat for my marathon, but since my birthday is coming up in about a month, should I get the GameCube version of JB, especially since the new DK game will likely not come out for quite a while?
The Wii version had reworked levels, with some Country-inspired elements (barrel cannons!) and less forgiving platformer parts (since you are more in control of DK). The GC version is the game in its purest, arcade-ish form, as originally envisioned.

If you've never played the game and you are more interested in a more traditional platform than in a weird SEGA-ish arcade game, I'd say go for the Wii version (if possible, emulate it with Dolphin. The waggle controls weren't great IMHO). If you want the True Jungle Beat Experience™, embrace the bongos.

Hello! My first post in the forum and it has to be in the DK community thread of course :D

I am a long-time fan of DK and each direct without news is disappointing. I don't lose hope, and I think 2024 will be DK's year for several reasons:
  • 30th anniversary of DKC (1994)
  • there have been rumours of a new game for a long time, it must come out at some point...(right?)
  • 10 years since the latest new game, not counting ports (Tropical Freeze - 2014)
  • DK had a very important role in the Mario movie, the trailers,etc like they are setting up something
  • But there has been 0 merchandising of DK after the movie. As if he will have his own moment to shine...
Also, I know this is probably just coincidence but, after DK was huge in arcades in 1981 and there were two sequels (DK 3 in 1984) there were no games for a long time, until DKC which was exactly 10 years later. I don't know, it seems like years ending in 4 have some connection with DK!

I hadn't realized the 30th anniversary was so soon! Given what a monumental title DKC was, I think Nintendo will definitely have something ready for it... whether it's a new game or new merch available at their Nintendo stores (Tokyo, Osaka, New York, etc). Ideally both!

Minus well spill some predictions onto what I feel is going to happen to DK in the next few months to maybe cheer some people up and give some hope. I do think that we are going to get a September Direct (yes, I know that we just got a June Direct recently). This Direct I believe will have a bunch of DK announcements, like for example:
1.) Diddy Kong and Pauline in Mario Kart's Booster Course Pass with a new DK course. I feel that it will be those two characters specifically because Diddy is pretty much a given and also represents the modern-era of DK, while Pauline could represent the arcade-era. As for what the track will be, it will probably lean more on arcade DK since we got Jungle Hijinxs in the base MK game.

2.) NSO games like the DKL trilogy, DK 64, King of Swing, Diddy Kong Racing, etc will be revealed to be coming in the coming months.

3.) Donkey Kong Country Returns Switch will be a reality since it seems like Nintendo recently likes to remaster GameCube and Wii-era games for about $40-50 a pop. It will be similar to the Pikmin remasters in where the graphics not be updated as much, but in return, you will get traditional controls, 60 fps, and the 3DS-exclusive levels. It would make since to do Returns to prepare for the theme park that's coming out in 2024, since it is heavily based on Returns.

4.) Lastly, DK EPD gets announced and it gets dated for the first half of 2024, perhaps March for example.

Why do I feel like Nintendo could do all of this at once, you may ask? I feel that it will happen because Nintendo just did something similar in their June Direct where they announced a bunch of Mario games & DLC, including talking about three games in a row. They likely did this to captailize on the Mario Movie's success and since DK played a huge part in the movie (maybe more than Luigi even), it would not make sense to leave him out of the synergy promotion that Nintendo is seemingly doing.

I hate my new-ish (aka 7 months already) routine that barely let me get a couple of hours online to discuss stuff... I only have Thursdays off and I sleep half of it with that excessive physical and (especially) mental exhaustion.. But here it goes;

I was disappointed with no sign of DK in the last Direct, but there was a handful of stuff that did make me happy to balance things out; Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks delightful, and SMRPG getting a remake is surreal with modern-day Nintendo and Square, imo!

But against all odds, I'm STILL holding hope for a DK announcement in september, now aiming for an early 2024 release on our current Switch. I'm not going to argue against it being a *cross-gen, but I also don't think will be using it (or Prime 4, for that matter) for being the big showcase on the next hardware. It's not for the lack of hypothetical ambition or potential, just that I feel they PROBABLY have something bigger in the works, be either Mario Kart or something else;

*I'm also on the belief that we're a tad away from the Switch sucessor, as I expect to be a Holiday 2024 release at earliest.

Much love! ❤️❤️❤️
Hey Nathan! I just arriving too late to say anything you could read, but if you are still lurking around.. just to let you know that this is way less important than your health and your well-being. Take care of yourself, and I hope we all can celebrate that arrival of the new DK game pretty soon! 💕

Well, it seems they read my post from the other day and decided to announce some new toys from the movie, and one of them features a DK stadium set with a DK figure included!

Jakks_Pacific_Mario_movie_3.jpg

Source: Nintendoeverything

Gonna backtrack on what I said in the Direct thread a few weeks ago and say we don't see either of EPD Tokyo's games in the September Direct.

Assuming we're looking at 3D Mario and 2D Donkey Kong, it makes little sense to reveal either just a month before SMB Wonder releases. When I made that prediction, I thought 2D Mario was either Early September or Late November (Pokemon's usual spot).

If it's 2D DK, I can see a February/March Direct reveal for a June/July release.

My expectations for any new DK game in a September Direct are super low as well. 2024 could possibly be the last year of the Switch with the new console arriving in the fall of 2024. That makes me think Nintendo's gonna play things closer to the vest than normal.

So how I'm feeling about the upcoming Directs right now is...

September 2023: We will get Q1 of 2024, but otherwise I'm expecting a "mid" Direct because Nintendo doesn't want to share announcements that are too far out due to the transition.

February 2024: This will probably be the last big Direct of the Switch era. I could see them just announcing every Switch game they have left releasing before the successor, so maybe dating titles between April and possibly as late as September.

June 2024: Reveal of the Switch 2. This is where I'd expect the heavy hitting game announcements like a new 3D Mario or a new Mario Kart.

So my hunch is either we see DK in the February Direct if it comes to Switch, or we see it next June if it's being positioned as a Switch 2 game.

If it's 2D DK, I can see a February/March Direct reveal for a June/July release.
So my hunch is either we see DK in the February Direct if it comes to Switch, or we see it next June if it's being positioned as a Switch 2 game.
If this DK game exists and is coming to Switch 1 this is basically what I expect - a short marketing cycle that doesn't compete with either Mario Wonder, or in theory the 3D Mario that launches with Switch 2 in holiday 2024.

Yeah if Donkey Kong does come to Switch I'm basically expecting it to be positioned as the final big 1st party title for Switch releasing between May and July. For Q1 I'm thinking Nintendo's gonna position that new Princess Peach game as the big title for that quarter.

I think a new original DK game, be it a 2D or 3D game, will happen between 2024/2025

Between his role at recent Mario movie, future DK movie, expansion at Universal…

I think I’d be happy with dk64 on nso, I mean, that shouldn’t be too difficult to arrange with microsoft right?
We still have like the five remaining games announced last year to sit through lol.

With the way things are going, I wouldn't expect any news on N64 NSO until like, next year probably.

As far as the next original game goes, right now I don't think we'll see it announced until it's like 4-6 months away from release. There's a lot of expections to Nintendos "don't announce a game until it's a few months away" mentality (Pikmin 4 got its first trailer about 10 months before it's launch, Splatoon 3 had 18 months between reveal and release, we don't even know when the LM2 port or Peach game are supposed to release, etc), but DK seems like one of those series where we're not going to have to wait a long time for it to come out after it's revealed. Maybe it's a February or March 2024 game and we see it in September. Maybe it's a June game and we see it in February. That's probably the cope in me talking but I'll take what I can get at this rate lmao.

As for NSO, while I'd love DK64, DKR, and other Rare games added to it asap we only seem to get one Rare title added a year. Maybe we'll get one revealed at the September direct like how BK and Goldeneye got revealed? I don't think that's a rule or anything but we'll be waiting a long, long time to see any of these game that honestly should already be present on the service. But they'll come eventually.

I think a new Donkey Kong (preferably 3D) would be a great spring or summer 2024 game, with Prime 4 being the big holiday 2024 game. Dunno if it makes sense for it to come out this fall with Mario Wonder and Mario RPG, and it would feel odd for it to come out in late 2024 as Switch's swan song.

Back
Top Bottom