• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

Little tangent of my earlier posts..

But how you all felt of the first time Cranky meeting Mario for the first time since the Arcade days in the movie?

It was such a special occasion, since barring minor cameos (Mario in DKC2's Video Game Heroes podium, or Cranky's silhouette being on the background of Jungle Japes in Smash), they never were in the same place at the same time;

For me, happening in a big Hollywood movie (with the attention it got) it's more than adequate, but within the context of the movie itself.. I was hoping for a little more of their interactions (as in, again, mentioning the past events, which is not a thing for the movie universe);

From now on, Cranky shouldn't be a barrier anymore for Mario spinoffs, I suppose. I was expecting him and Foreman Spike to pop up in Mario Kart Tour ahead of the movie's release, but I guess they'll need to stretch the game's life cycle a tad more (heck, throw General Koopa/Blue Shell there too).

Little tangent of my earlier posts..

But how you all felt of the first time Cranky meeting Mario for the first time since the Arcade days in the movie?

It was such a special occasion, since barring minor cameos (Mario in DKC2's Video Game Heroes podium, or Cranky's silhouette being on the background of Jungle Japes in Smash), they never were in the same place at the same time;

For me, happening in a big Hollywood movie (with the attention it got) it's more than adequate, but within the context of the movie itself.. I was hoping for a little more of their interactions (as in, again, mentioning the past events, which is not a thing for the movie universe);

From now on, Cranky shouldn't be a barrier anymore for Mario spinoffs, I suppose. I was expecting him and Foreman Spike to pop up in Mario Kart Tour ahead of the movie's release, but I guess they'll need to stretch the game's life cycle a tad more (heck, throw General Koopa/Blue Shell there too).

I honestly didn't really feel anything considering that, well, this version of Cranky obviously never fought Mario in the past. In this context he's just kind of a random Kong and not much more.

I honestly didn't really feel anything considering that, well, this version of Cranky obviously never fought Mario in the past. In this context he's just kind of a random Kong and not much more.
Seeing how Nintendo was always so conservative on letting these two characters interact in nearly 30 years, it's truly disappointing that really was a bunch of ... nothing.

I mean, I liked how Cranky felt Mario was this puny little guy to fight his mighty son, and how dismissive he is through out the whole thing (saying he put Power Ups through the arena so the fight could even last more than few seconds); But the impliced history of them, even if just outside the movie, called for much, much more.. and they didn't really deliver on that front,

Oh well.. but at least, this taboo is finally broken.

I don't think NCL views Cranky Kong as being the arcade character, so they don't feel an obligation to having something special for them.
I don't think that's the case;

Famously, Miyamoto always loved the idea of turning his Arcade character into a bitter old man, and there's stuff outside Rare made games that is always referencing that tidbit through the years.. like how Snake's Codec in Brawl calls attention of the difference between current DK and DK Senior; How Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 shows our current Donkey Kong meeting Pauline for the very first time, or even stuff like Nintendo Land with DK's Crash Course which is a full Arcade callback and it uses Cranky Kong's theme from DKC;

The portrayal in the movie is just for the sake of brevity, to be frank; The fact Pauline of all characters was neglected to a cameo, tells that much.

Last edited:
as much as I like the idea of cranky being the arcade dk it just never, ever worked in the context of mario, for the obvious reason of not wanting to emphasize a character aging quickly inbetween games
i'm fine like this, i think cranky in the movie has bigger issues like... kind of not really being the character at all for whatever reason

Hey, if the Mario Brothers can grow mustaches that big in their mid 20's, so can Kongs age that quick! especially considering shenanigans of different dimensions ;P

We can always assume that DK Senior becoming Cranky as an anology of how quickly video games evolved in a short span as well, as in comparing early NES games (the game he starred on) to a SNES title, was a giant leap, so he is old now! To also add to the meta that the DK cast are always so aware of being video game characters, of course.

Simply put, the Mario movie isn't canon to the games as Pauline doesn't get Kongnapped. I don't think they are gonna retcon as something as recent as Odyssey all to appease Mario film fans. They are two separate continuities.

I do expect the developers of monkEPD will probably change certain things in the Kong family tree to finally make things less confusing, but I do hope they keep the "Cranky was the original DK" lore.

Simply put, the Mario movie isn't canon to the games as Pauline doesn't get Kongnapped. I don't think they are gonna retcon as something as recent as Odyssey all to appease Mario film fans. They are two separate continuities.
there's no mario continuity at all, the developers can and have done whatever they want
well that's pretty much the same thing you're describing but you went the wrong way about it, the next mario games can either reference the movie or contradict it
in any case though odyssey is no more important than the mario movie, in fact I'd argue otherwise as the movie is not only a movie but the most up to date telling of mario's origin as a character in the mario franchise's setting

there's no mario continuity at all, the developers can and have done whatever they want
just because it's vague, doesn't mean isn't there at all; It's actually better that is vague, so we can have fun piecing things together

smb3.jpg
Lost%2Bin%2BSMWC%2Bstyled%2BOW_005.png

eac6383f38d51015038cf6a9416fdd65b3cacb8b.gif
new-super-mario-bros-nintendo-ds.gif

955654-960544_20090602_001.jpg
smg2-intro1.jpg

super-mario-3d-world-intro_1.1.1.jpg
captain-toad-tt-fin-wii-u.jpg

I am not playing stupid and saying it's some deep stuff (especially when it's Mario, and not Donkey Kong), but c'mon.. there's enough to call it a continuity. You can always find stuff that contradicts some others, but you can also keep finding evidence of why there's nothing preventing everything to connect, especially if you go outside the mainline games ;P

The DK Vine Forum is going to be revived in a couple days. Would be really funny if Nintendo finally announced a new Donkey Kong game the day before it was ready. Yep. Really funny. They should totally do that. Please?

There is a zero percent chance that Nintendo is going to announce a new Donkey Kong game, developed internally by EPD, in a random tweet. The fear is completely unfounded.

Last edited:

The DK Vine Forum is going to be revived in a couple days. Would be really funny if Nintendo finally announced a new Donkey Kong game the day before it was ready. Yep. Really funny. They should totally do that. Please?

If they do I’ll re-register, post how excited I am, then forget about the forum for a couple of years

I'm still team "no" for a twitter DK drop. But my faith in a summer direct is wavering. Perhaps Nintendo really will go to Gamescom with no new (announced) games in the pipeline, as hard as it is for me to believe it

Nice to see some optimism around the DK announcement still happening this year (which is the side I am right now); But there's no way that something that big would be a Twitter drop.. Barring that very atyphical circumstance that brought us Origami King and Age of Calamity, Twitter drops are usually just for trailers of already announced games, DLC and other minor announcements like NSO and amiibo;

Now, there's either a General Direct happening still before mid July (with that, we can realistic expect the game still to be released this year, or at max early 2024), OR if we have to suffer until the usual September Direct, the game is not being announced this year at all.

Minus will give some food for thought here about when the mysterious EPDK title could come out. Personally, if I have to bet on what will happen to this game and its announcement, I do think it will be announced this year. Why is that you may ask. The theme park, that's why. Okay, but to get more specific here, I feel as if Nintendo doesn't have a lot of time to release this game as the park is supposedly set to open in the Summer of 2024. Now, what that essentially means in my opinion is one of possibly three options.

Option 1.) The game gets announced during the Summer Nintendo Direct and releases in the fall/winter season.

Option 2.) The game gets announced during the Fall Nintendo Direct and releases in the Spring of 2024.

Option 3.) Likely the least possible one here, but Nintendo waits until the February Direct and releases it to coincide with the theme park or worst, after for possibly the Switch 2.

While I don't think that Nintendo doesn't necessarily have to have a new title to cross-promote the park, I do think it would be beneficial for them for one reason, which is the fact that whenever this new game is, it will likely be closer to the Donkey Kong brand than Tropical Freeze is. To give you an example of what I'm talking about, the theme park is set to take place on DK Island (presumably) in a jungle area with the golden temple as the setpiece. Now, Tropical Freeze doesn't have that exact golden temple design as well as that specific jungle that you see in Returns. The new game however may feature a lot of the more essential ideas from the park like I mentioned in addition to stuff like the Screaming Pillars. Lastly, this is also why I don't think that we are going to get a Returns remaster, as besides from it being an objectively inferior game to TF, it also has those same elements that a new game can just use, if that makes anysense. Anyways, that's my personal opinion on when is this game could get announced and released.

I know games take a long time to make, but 10 years is bs. I know fans of Mario Kart have been waiting just as long but that game at least gets continued support. And it's not like TF is a 100+ hour length game (granted the diehard fans have probably put that much time into it). Praying to the Kong gods the new game will be announced this month and we see confirmation that DK actually has a dedicated development team so fans don't have to go through this ungodly long wait again.

Remember when we got 7 DK games in four years, including multiple all-time classics?

The technological arms race was a mistake.

Reject modernity, return to monke.

Longer development cycles isn’t the issue, DK not having a consistent home since the Rare buyout is the bigger problem.

Don't worry, my monke brethren.

Everyone in the Direct Speculation thread is convinced we're getting 2D Mario but we shall remain victorious when the time comes.

We will rise.
All of this DK related media can mean only one thing!
Or we could be completely wrong and be watching the launch of the Donkey Kong space station in 2031 with our copies of Tropical Freeze: Newer Funkier Mode

Either way, Kongs together strong!

Is Sea of Thieves DKU?

Because if it is, the biggest Monkey head Guybrush has ever seen is definitely DK's head on DK Island.

For those we don't know Monkey Island: a crossover between MI and SoT has just been announced, and in the first game, there was this joke.

DKE4T2wW4AAYtS1.jpg

Also, go play Monkey Island games! They are sooo good.

Since there's still nothing going on with this series, I wanted to share a cool fan project not a lot of people know about. The YouTube channel Drawn&Quartered has remade the entire DKC3 GBA soundtrack from scratch, and the results often surpass the originals, and even the excellent Double the Trouble remixes from ten years ago.

The format is sort of odd, it was made with the intention of creating an MSU-1 patch for the SNES game, so there are various "bonus" GBA-fied tracks replacing SNES ones that never had a GBA equivalent, like Rocket Run, Big Boss Blues, or Swanky's Sideshow. And things like Funky's Game or Arich Boss which have nowhere to go in the SNES version are recontextualized with a new placement. But at the same time, it's making a point of expanding tracks that were often much longer than the levels they played in to begin with, which is strange for in-game use. These are generally over four minutes long, which is much longer than anything in the original trilogy. The MSU-1 patch has been finished and released for a while, but most of it has since been uploaded to the YouTube channel, with only a few odds and ends remaining.

Regardless of the somewhat confusing circumstances behind its creation, the results demonstrate that you can make music that sounds like Donkey Kong Country without sounding exactly like David Wise, something which I feel has been sort of forgotten as we've gone so long since anyone has. This project, funny enough, has given me more confidence that it's possible for Nintendo's in-house composers to get the music right whenever that new DK game that totally exists is finally revealed. The quality is imo inconsistent, but then so was the soundtrack it's based on. When it's on, it's on like Donkey Kong (do people still say that? did they ever actually say that?)

Here, listen to the best track for a sample:

The intention seems to be to tackle the SNES games and Land after this, although I'm not sure which will be next.

Since there's still nothing going on with this series, I wanted to share a cool fan project not a lot of people know about. The YouTube channel Drawn&Quartered has remade the entire DKC3 GBA soundtrack from scratch, and the results often surpass the originals, and even the excellent Double the Trouble remixes from ten years ago.

The format is sort of odd, it was made with the intention of creating an MSU-1 patch for the SNES game, so there are various "bonus" GBA-fied tracks replacing SNES ones that never had a GBA equivalent, like Rocket Run, Big Boss Blues, or Swanky's Sideshow. And things like Funky's Game or Arich Boss which have nowhere to go in the SNES version are recontextualized with a new placement. But at the same time, it's making a point of expanding tracks that were often much longer than the levels they played in to begin with, which is strange for in-game use. These are generally over four minutes long, which is much longer than anything in the original trilogy. The MSU-1 patch has been finished and released for a while, but most of it has since been uploaded to the YouTube channel, with only a few odds and ends remaining.

Regardless of the somewhat confusing circumstances behind its creation, the results demonstrate that you can make music that sounds like Donkey Kong Country without sounding exactly like David Wise, something which I feel has been sort of forgotten as we've gone so long since anyone has. This project, funny enough, has given me more confidence that it's possible for Nintendo's in-house composers to get the music right whenever that new DK game that totally exists is finally revealed. The quality is imo inconsistent, but then so was the soundtrack it's based on. When it's on, it's on like Donkey Kong (do people still say that? did they ever actually say that?)

Here, listen to the best track for a sample:

The intention seems to be to tackle the SNES games and Land after this, although I'm not sure which will be next.

I've listened to these tracks, long before you've mentioned them. Probably my favorite would have to be Rocket Run since they incorporated the Rocket Barrel theme from the Retro Studios duology.

That track is gorgeous, thanks for sharing @Stilt Village! Makes me want to go back and play DKC3. Played for the first time a few years back on Wii U and been meaning to go back to 100% it.

Don't worry, my monke brethren.

Everyone in the Direct Speculation thread is convinced we're getting 2D Mario but we shall remain victorious when the time comes.

We will rise.
I don't understand why. People wrongly assumed that a new Mario game would launch alongside the movie for cross-promotional purposes. As we can see, the movie clearly didn't need any help. A mainline Mario game has never launched this late into a console's lifespan before. Nintendo considers both Super Mario Maker games to be mainline Super Mario games, so the Switch has already had its fill of 2D Mario. I would love a new 2D Mario game that moves the series forward with a new art style, but there is zero evidence of it happening and yet people in the Direct speculation thread are acting like it has already been announced. It's bizarre.

I think it would make more sense to release a new Donkey Kong game now and save Mario for the Switch successor, but I could see either scenario happening depending on what Nintendo's long-term plans are for both franchises. Regardless, we know that the Donkey Kong expansion at Universal Studios Japan is opening next year and the latest Donkey Kong release is a five-year-old port of a ten-year-old game. Wouldn't it make more sense to get the ball rolling right now instead of trying to revitalize interest in a dormant brand after the land has already opened? By giving Donkey Kong such a prominent role in the Mario movie when they didn't need to, I feel like the push has already started and it's going to culminate with the release of a new game this fall.

I don't understand why. People wrongly assumed that a new Mario game would launch alongside the movie for cross-promotional purposes. As we can see, the movie clearly didn't need any help. A mainline Mario game has never launched this late into a console's lifespan before. Nintendo considers both Super Mario Maker games to be mainline Super Mario games, so the Switch has already had its fill of 2D Mario. I would love a new 2D Mario game that moves the series forward with a new art style, but there is zero evidence of it happening and yet people in the Direct speculation thread are acting like it has already been announced. It's bizarre.

I think it would make more sense to release a new Donkey Kong game now and save Mario for the Switch successor, but I could see either scenario happening depending on what Nintendo's long-term plans are for both franchises. Regardless, we know that the Donkey Kong expansion at Universal Studios Japan is opening next year and the latest Donkey Kong release is a five-year-old port of a ten-year-old game. Wouldn't it make more sense to get the ball rolling right now instead of trying to revitalize interest in a dormant brand after the land has already opened? By giving Donkey Kong such a prominent role in the Mario movie when they didn't need to, I feel like the push has already started and it's going to culminate with the release of a new game this fall.
This is my current hope/prediction. Though it wouldn't surprise me if we, say, got a 3D DK game (could still be 2D, though, it's not out of the question) this year and then a 2D Mario within the following 6 months of DKs release or vice versa. Nintendo had no issues releasing 3D World and Tropical Freeze fairly close to eachother back in the day after all. I think 3D Mario is done on the Switch though. They'd definitely save that for the next system.

This is my current hope/prediction. Though it wouldn't surprise me if we, say, got a 3D DK game (could still be 2D, though, it's not out of the question) this year and then a 2D Mario within the following 6 months of DKs release or vice versa. Nintendo had no issues releasing 3D World and Tropical Freeze fairly close to eachother back in the day after all. I think 3D Mario is done on the Switch though. They'd definitely save that for the next system.
It's interesting, back in the Wii U days I remember Nintendo had a very specific idea of how soon was too soon to release DK after Mario. If I remember correctly it originally was slated for a mid-December release about a month after Mario and then delayed to February 2014. I think if that's anything to go by it just supports your idea that fairly close is not a problem, and that it's unrealistic to expect them in the same season or 2-3 month period. If DK is 3D I doubt it'd be anywhere near a 3D Mario and I agree the latter is being saved for the successor.

The image in the Tweet quoted was taken in the year of 2023. Man, DK fans be jn a miserable dry spell right now if Tropical Freeze is still the most recent DK game that Nintendo keeps promoting. Certainly can't wait for next Wednesday to either have a new game get announced or to be disappointed once again.🙃

It would be a beautiful thing if both DK and Metroid fans could eat together at the same time...

It's interesting, back in the Wii U days I remember Nintendo had a very specific idea of how soon was too soon to release DK after Mario. If I remember correctly it originally was slated for a mid-December release about a month after Mario and then delayed to February 2014. I think if that's anything to go by it just supports your idea that fairly close is not a problem, and that it's unrealistic to expect them in the same season or 2-3 month period. If DK is 3D I doubt it'd be anywhere near a 3D Mario and I agree the latter is being saved for the successor.

DK was slated for November, and 3D World for December. DK got delayed and Mario pushed up to November.

It would be a beautiful thing if both DK and Metroid fans could eat together at the same time...

DK was slated for November, and 3D World for December. DK got delayed and Mario pushed up to November.
TF was meant for December, 3D World was always due for November.

Polygon's report is from Nintendo lol

Regardless of vague months, that was when Nintendo gave official release dates for those two games. TF was definitely a December title for a short period.

That's fine, I was just talking about their original intended releases when they were announced. TF was never a December title.

I think it's more likely IGN didn't do their due diligence on the changed release date in that article. Multiple publications list the December 6 2013 release date.

(description says December 6 2013)

...all that said, I would be surprised if a DK game comes out this year in December. I'm sure they'd position it at as their big November game if it's this year.

So this is kind of neat: Sea of Thieves just recently added this beach themed blunderbuss weapon.

Beachcomber%27s_Bounty_Blunderbuss.png

Its description is, I kid you not:

Don't be fooled by its primitive design - being shot by this coconut gun is gonna hurt.

I don't play SOT but I always do enjoy seeing Rare include these little clever (clever enough to avoid copyright lawsuits, anywho) references to their time on Donkey Kong. Like how that "Killer Whale" figurehead is very obviously based on Enguarde.

did3vr9it1m61.jpg

SoT has a Pirates of the Caribbean and a Monkey Island campaign. It's about time for a Kremling kampaign. 😎

I know it will never happen, but it would be cool if SoT came to the Switch with a DK themed exclusive campaign.

Looks like Nintendo of America's Instagram account decided to celebrate Father's Day by using Donkey Kong!

this makes me think this tweet is aimed at people who literally grew up playing the arcade donkey kong games and not a single game with donkey kong afterwards, cuz he's not a dad at all lol

Back
Top Bottom