• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Contra: Operation Galuga announced (Konami/WayForward) UPDATE- demo out now!

Isn't the talking thing only during Story mode ? If so it makes sense to me. If not, well... I hope it can be disabled once you finish the game at least once.

Please avoid referencing this Youtuber in the future, as he has a history of sexual assault, discrimination against LGBTQ+ and racism. - meatbag, Tangerine Cookie, Volcanic Dynamo, Barely Able, big lantern ghost, MissingNo
Talking too much is a pillar of Wayforward design, whether it fits the game or not.

How was Advance Wars a debacle? I still have that title on my shopping list, but if it actually had big problems, aside from the release delay, it's an easy cut.
The game wastes your time by having really slow animation as compared to the gba version. The AI also decides slower than the gba counterpart.

The game wastes your time by having really slow animation as compared to the gba version. The AI also decides slower than the gba counterpart.

Ugh. I'll watch the whole video later to decide if maybe it's something I can stomach on the whole, but ... Ugh. The time wasting in moments that clearly call for fast, zippy action has been a major source of annoyance in every Wayforward game I remember playing.

Ugh. I'll watch the whole video later to decide if maybe it's something I can stomach on the whole, but ... Ugh. The time wasting in moments that clearly call for fast, zippy action has been a major source of annoyance in every Wayforward game I remember playing.
People's tolerance levels will vary, obviously, but fwiw I don't remember being bothered by the game feeling too slow. You can hold down a button tofast-forward everything (animations, movements, battles, enemy turns), and you can even turn off different animations in the options menu if they're really annoying you

I dunno, just not really the kind of thing I'd say warrants being considered a "debacle" imo. The way I played it, everything felt pretty snappy to me

Yeah, the PC version is the only good version for some bizarre reason. My PC (1080ti and i7 8700K) is weaker than my PS5 but my PC just completely destroys the PS5 in performance. Locked 1440p 120fps on my machine.

John from DF has commented he's been less than impressed with Wayforward's efforts since they made the move to unity.

I think it is a combination of not having low level access.to the engine to make the necessary tweaks to get it to run well on the platform and workload supporting so many platforms

Last edited:

Yeah I gotta dispute this as well, I had a dream of a time with the game and for every micro complaint I imagine this hyperfocuses on, there's equally small but nice quality of life changes like being able to easily replay every level and especially something like real fog-of-war mechanics is a massive game changer. I even love pixel art a ton but found the new art style really enjoyable to look at. The only thing I guess I should caveat is I always turn off the battle animations in Advance Wars games so I dunno if that's the source of the "issues".

Last edited:
An AMA wrapped up not too long ago on r/NintendoSwitch, which can be found at

Main things are that: Switch will remain at 30fps; and that the demo had outdated code / performance, that’s been superseded since, and that the final release should be smoother across the board.

An AMA wrapped up not too long ago on r/NintendoSwitch, which can be found at

Main things are that: Switch will remain at 30fps; and that the demo had outdated code / performance, that’s been superseded since, and that the final release should be smoother across the board.

That's interesting, maybe they'll smooth out the traversal stutters on PS5. I wonder if it would be possible for them to make a 1080p 120fps mode on consoles, though? My 1080ti is weaker than a PS5 on paper, but it ran at 1440p 120fps no problem.

Hopefully the Switch version at the very least cleans up the input lag, though. That actually hurts a lot.

If anyone does want some Contra-style action on Switch at half the price, and isn’t impressed with the performance of this (at the moment), then Wayforward’s previous game, Spidersaurs, is really good with a lot of the same DNA and dev team.

Otherwise, Huntdown remains one of the best indie games of recent years (it’s really funny too). And Blazing Chrome is good too.

Well that seems pretty shitty. The standard edition goes on sale and is just a code in a box. Then the limited edition goes on sale and look, they’ve managed to get the game onto a cart.

I’ll pick this up if they ever fix the performance on Switch, I like Contra, but this kind of activity around codes-in-boxes while calling a game on a cart a ‘special edition’ while doubling the price just seems a bit off me.

Well that seems pretty shitty. The standard edition goes on sale and is just a code in a box. Then the limited edition goes on sale and look, they’ve managed to get the game onto a cart.

I’ll pick this up if they ever fix the performance on Switch, I like Contra, but this kind of activity around codes-in-boxes while calling a game on a cart a ‘special edition’ while doubling the price just seems a bit off me.
They said the day 1 patch would fix the stutter on switch.
Tried the demo a second time the other day and I didn’t find it as bad as my 1st try with it.
Regardless, day 1 patch should bring it to a lock 30fps hopefully

It's super good that the LRG pre-order window ends well after reviews are out. There's been a few instances where they closed right before reviews dropped which sucked.

Read the text again. The LRG release is physical cartridge even for the standard edition.

The EU version that Konami is publishing is the one that's a code in a box unfortunately :(

It's super good that the LRG pre-order window ends well after reviews are out. There's been a few instances where they closed right before reviews dropped which sucked.

Read the text again. The LRG release is physical cartridge even for the standard edition.

The EU version that Konami is publishing is the one that's a code in a box unfortunately :(
Ah it’s the EU one I meant. I don’t get ‘code in a box’ releases.

Even so, if I want one on a cart I have to import from across the pond and wait until September/October.

Last edited:
Limited Run Games is publishing a REAL physical version!!!

Just ordered my actual physical copy.

Was gonna buy if they release an ASIAN variant but I think there's none. Also 30 fps for a run and gun is a deal breaker.

OST up on Apple Music and Spotify:

There’s also a retro remix OST which seems to be selectable by some means in game, available on Apple Music but also has a preview up on YouTube:

Apologies for thread bump; reviews are going up since the last hour or so. Overall positive (IGN being a bit more critical), but I thought it important to bring this one up in particular for anyone playing the Switch version for some reason:
In terms of performance, much has been said prior to launch regarding the Switch version’s drop to 30fps. In a fast-paced game like this, it's hard to argue 60fps doesn’t make a difference. That being said, so long as the 30fps target is hit and maintained with consistent frame times, it shouldn’t be too big of an issue. From our testing, Operation Galuga does exactly that. Outside of the very occasional one or two frame drop, the target frame rate is met the whole time. Image resolution hits a full 1920x1080 docked and the expected 1280x720 handheld. Given that both of these are the max resolutions for either configuration, it does make you wonder if some sort of performance mode could have been possible, exchanging a lowered resolution for 60fps. The one other technical detail worth highlighting is some odd foliage materials, which can be seen in the opening stages of the game. Many of the random shrubs and other plant life in these stages appear to have unfiltered, dithered, alpha transparencies. This results in blocky pixelated edges. It's possible this could be some sort of artistic choice, but to me it reads more like a settings bug in the alpha channel for that material. Either way, it really stands out.

I probably will still get this for just Steam for now.

Will try and post links to various reviews when I get more time.

===

Addendum - a series of reviews (warning - screenshots of things in later stages present, take caution):
(NintendoLife recommend switching over to a non Switch version)

Last edited:
I've not seen much from this game and I wonder if it's actually a game that tries to push the series forward or if it's a "remember Contra?" deal. Obviously run-n-guns are going to be short and arcadey, but after playing Hard Corps my eyes were opened to how great those games can be and it's a shame that they stuck to more simple roots with barely any character switching (and if there is, they likely aren't different), routes, or even just the insane tone of HC.
While getting new games like Mega Men or Contras is a treat, I do wish they would try to evolve their formula

anyone playing the Switch version for some reason
Portability? That's enough reason to pick Switch version over others. Being able to actually finishing the game triumphs over 60 fps gameplay, which is absolutely a rare occurrence on Switch. Even Princess Peach is also 30 fps and it's not even native res.

Apologies for thread bump; reviews are going up since the last hour or so. Overall positive (IGN being a bit more critical), but I thought it important to bring this one up in particular for anyone playing the Switch version for some reason:

I probably will still get this for just Steam for now.

Will try and post links to various reviews when I get more time.

The demo might have been the worst thing I played on Switch in many months. Not even sure why Nintendo promoted it when it looks and feels like that on Switch. Hopefully they patch it to be better for those interested.

The demo might have been the worst thing I played on Switch in many months. Not even sure why Nintendo promoted it when it looks and feels like that on Switch. Hopefully they patch it to be better for those interested.
According to Nintendo World Report, it's a stable 30fps for the most part. Definitely an improvement on the demo.

Why? Because it's WayForward, one of the closest indie studios to Nintendo. Nintendo trusts them enough to include their mascot as a mii fighter in Smash. And we should too, they'll address the problems with the game like they have done in the past.

I've not seen much from this game and I wonder if it's actually a game that tries to push the series forward or if it's a "remember Contra?" deal. Obviously run-n-guns are going to be short and arcadey, but after playing Hard Corps my eyes were opened to how great those games can be and it's a shame that they stuck to more simple roots with barely any character switching (and if there is, they likely aren't different), routes, or even just the insane tone of HC.
While getting new games like Mega Men or Contras is a treat, I do wish they would try to evolve their formula
I think the intent this time was expanding accessibility while maintaining the essence of a classic Contra, hence the less overt innovations as such (though I think the updates to abilities and weapon stacking / overloads feel mechanically significant enough to me). There is a light element of Hard Corps in that some characters have different special weapons on pickup / the health meter / more overt boss signposting (though HC’s branching definitely hasn’t been replicated as such).

Why? Because it's WayForward, one of the closest indie studios to Nintendo. Nintendo trusts them enough to include their mascot as a mii fighter in Smash. And we should too, they'll address the problems with the game like they have done in the past.

You do that if you want. I've given up on most new releases (that have technical issues) getting fixed on Switch or buying and waiting for patches. MK1 was miserable last month when I tried it again. If this gets fixed, good on WayForward and I'll grab it for a replay on Switch if I enjoy it on another platform.

Oh right there will be day 1 patches (not for Switch which needs the vetting process, but anyway):

Getting the vibe from reviews that this game is so close to greatness but misses the mark in disappointing ways. A shame. I imagine I'd still enjoy it and want to pick it up on release but the technical state of the game even other platforms makes it feel like a hot landing that may be better served by waiting for patches... gotta love modern game development.

According to Nintendo World Report, it's a stable 30fps for the most part. Definitely an improvement on the demo.

Nintendo Life review didn't seem as promising and actively claims it does not keep stable, so... I dunno. Hard to be all that confident about it considering everything we've seen.

Last edited:
Getting the vibe from reviews that this game is so close to greatness but misses the mark in disappointing ways. A shame. I imagine I'd still enjoy it and want to pick it up on release but the technical state of the game even other platforms makes it feel like a hot landing that may be better served by waiting for patches... gotta love modern game development.

Nintendo Life review didn't seem as promising and actively claims it does not keep stable, so... I dunno. Hard to be all that confident about it considering everything we've seen.

Yeah, I'm gonna need to see the Digital Foundry review.

After playing about 4 stages on Story Mode, trying out Arcade Mode before that (and in the demo) and dipping my toes in Challenge Mode, I can confidently say it's the real deal. This is totally the sequel to also WayForward's Contra 4. In fact, I'd say it's almost a bit too Contra 4 part 2, and that game I think it's over a decade and a half now. I should know because I played that one obsessively.

WayForward has done their homework and you can see the influences of previous games here. They took some notes from the original, Mega Drive Hard Corps - ah, uh, 30-year old game, but still the best on the series - and mixed it up with what now are character-specific perks, such as an invincibility dash for Bill and hovering for the Probotectors, Browny-style. There's now a life bar but you can cut that out - exactly like the JP and English versions of Hard Corps did.

The story mode has some story sequences which I thought I'd hate, but honestly, they're being pretty fun! Bill's personality is very reminiscent of Sam from Vanquish, which makes sense since both are being dubbed by i believe Troy Baker. Lucia, my fav girl, has been relegated as a comms lady, but I hope she can kick some ass later. There's a new girl in her place which insecure people may proudly say it's "woke" or any garbage like that, as they are afraid of minorities, so you just know she's gonna rule.

HOWEVER. Some of the impressions just aren't so good. My notebook ain't exactly "gamer material" - I have an old i5 with an GeForce MX 250, a low-end, entry level card for emerging markets - but I can still play some games like RE2 at locked 30 and even try above or Elden Ring at 24-30 FPS. I can confidently say this game stutters more than Elden Ring in my notebook. Performance is abhorrent. Even overclocking my card I can't get a locked 60 FPS and it's stutter-fest, what the hell happened here? The game uses Unity and it really doesn't seem like a good match at all

The game also doesn't look very good - it looks like a XBLA or PSN 360/PS3 games at parts and a very simple Wii U game at best. It's like they put their expertise in pixel art and tried to convert that to 3D but without making in cohesive and it really doesn't look all that hot. I could get that Double Dragon Neon looked like that (also, great game, you should play that), but that's not how you would expect a game to look in 2024, AND have bad performance to boot! It's just not a very good match - bar resolution, an old game like DK Returns just looks much better than this. Heck, I think some 3DS games might look better than this, specially if uprezzed.

The price tag is a whopping 40 dollars (it's also super expensive here in Brazil) and marketing has been so bad I didn't even knew this game existed until the demo was out, and I'm a Contra fan. I just don't understand how Konami works sometimes, it's like they work against themselves. Music also seemed lackluster and forgettable which is weird to say for both Contra and WayForward. Supposedly you can unlock extra songs if you have a Contra or Castlevania Collection save.

Despite all my criticisms I have had a ton of fun with the game and can see myself playing this one for a long time. It's just a shame Konami sent this one to die and doubled down on some terrible marketing practices. And I really wish the game performed better - I'll be playing it even though it runs like garbage on my system, but that's just because it is a really fun game so far. People who like Contra, try not to sleep on this one, as as I've mentioned on the beginning of this post, this is a real one. Great job from WayForward and I hope they can iron out some of these issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom