• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Contra: Operation Galuga announced (Konami/WayForward) UPDATE- demo out now!

Name-dropping Wayforward was a good call on their part.

My thought process was basically "Man, every time they try to do something with Contra, they end up missing the mar-, ... Oh, nevermind, it's Wayforward so it'll be good actually"

Wayforward knocked it out of the park with Contra 4 so it has a shot at playing well.

2.5D just doesn't look as good though. It didn't look good on PS2 and doesn't look as good now. Sprites just look better.

Nice, a new Wayforward Contra game. I remember buying Contra 4 as a present for a cousin back in the day and he hated me for it; now it's one of his favorite games.

Hell yeah, I always wanted a 2.5D Contra, so happy Wayforward was the one to give it to me. Looks gorgeous, I hope they'll do a Contra 5 too in the future.

4-player co-op from Wayforward is a dream but man it sucks the visuals don't seem to hold a candle to Contra 4. I'll have to watch it in better quality later but looked rough

interested to see how much it'll tie into Contra 4's storyline. i certainly noticed that the Probotector robots are back just from watching the trailer.

(one other notable thing that canon added was introducing the characters "Mad Dog" and "Scorpion", named after the original nicknames for the Contra protags used in various NA manuals.)

interested to see how much it'll tie into Contra 4's storyline. i certainly noticed that the Probotector robots are back just from watching the trailer.

(one other notable thing that canon added was introducing the characters "Mad Dog" and "Scorpion", named after the original nicknames for the Contra protags used in various NA manuals.)
Are we sure this is not a remake? Everything the showed in the trailer seems to be from the original Contra, including the big alien boss battle.

Are we sure this is not a remake? Everything the showed in the trailer seems to be from the original Contra, including the big alien boss battle.
It looked a remake with some new bits added like a speeder section that looked like a Contra 3 homage. I think the Direct VO mentioned “remake” at least once too.

Official website: https://www.konami.com/games/contra/og/eu/en/

Visually it feels like a more refined (yet still somewhat rough) version of Contra Returns (the mobile game). Of course hoping it retains WayForward’s excellent control handling.

There’s actually a fair amount of stuff from later titles that excites me: upgradable weapons from 4, multiple hit points from Japanese Hard Corps (Mega Drive), Lucia from Neo, Probotector as a selectable character, and dual weapons (unsure if it takes after 3 or 4, though I suspect the latter). Also really liking Ariana for the representation she brings to the table as well. Now where’s Sheena…

Overload seems to be the main new mechanic hook which appears to make the game more accessible from a leniency perspective - it’s probably better for overall franchise growth tbh even if it’s slightly against the spirit of gritty precision run and gun. I wonder how this is triggered though?

I'm kinda sad that this is another game full of call backs to Contra 1 and 3 instead of being its own thing.

Contra 4 already reused lots of bosses, parts of levels and music from Contra 1 & 3 and it was already done by WayForward, it never felt like a real Contra 4 to me.

Can''t they try something else ?

that framerate looks miserable, but i don't mind the 2.5D look otherwise. Looks way better than the PS2 games that's for sure lol. I'll probably nab it on Steam Deck or XSX, and I'm pretty hyped for this! Hopefully this also leads the way for a straight port of Contra 4 someday, too...

Hopefully the performance improves before launch, but I don't mind this at all! Hopefully we can see a proper port of 4 or shattered soldier, and a re-release of the Rebirth games at some point.

I like Contra but I dislike Wayforward art style. The last shantae game I like is Pirate's Curse and that's pixel art.

Apologies for the threadbump; there was a WayForward Discord AMA yesterday PM (US time) where some of the WayForward team (including developer of Operation Galuga, Tomm Hulett, who was previously worked at Konami as an associate producer for Contra 4) answered questions about the game.

I've compiled some of the takeaway points from the AMA below under the spoilers, but if you wanted to cross reference the exact transcript of discussion you can jump to this particular post in the WayForward Discord server.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Sounds good honestly it's exciting that it shows Konami is actually listening to what others say and makes me hopeful for a new Castlevania.

I think WayForward is at its best with 2D / pixelart, really not a fan of the art direction.

EDIT :
I edited my post because I just said the exact same thing a few posts ago, sorry !

Last edited:
Looks and sounds absolutely ace. Could be one of my GOTY candidates next year, just like Contra was for 2007.
I think WayForward is at its best with 2D / pixelart, really not a fan of the art direction.
Nah, they're also good at 2.5D direction. As proven in Double Dragon Neon.

I also don't like 2.5D bashing around the net and pixel art praising. Kinda feels selfish, big pixel games gives me serious headaches when played on well lit screens like Switch. 2.5D is perfect for me.

If the devs insist on pixel art, they should at least add some filters, like CRT or scanline. Many of them have, the ones that don't I almost always skip. I always wanted to play Celeste...

I honestly wasn’t expecting Barrier to be used as an Overload, and certainly not as Machinegun’s - I do wonder what this means for the availability of M as a powerup as well as the damage scaling for its level 2 version (considering how powerful that was in Contra 4).

The front flame shield from F’s Overload feels a bit underwhelming at first glance (considering the opportunity cost vs flamethrower) but perhaps it has higher damage per tick compared with the Barrier? It also probably has better team synergy given the forward position the shield is relative to the player who activated it (about double that of the Barrier?).

The missile barrage from C’s Overload has been seen already, and will probably be useful as a semi screen clearer when there’s high weak enemy density (we’ve seen it be rather ineffective against a boss). I think people may want to hold onto the crush missiles in most cases though.

Can't say I think this looks good. I was never really a fan of Contra until I played Hard Corps, and I get that it wasn't a traditional game, but I wish more sequels would be inspired by it than by... Well, seemingly just Contra 1 over and over.
I wonder how this game will approach difficulty. We're way past the point where a game can come out and be a straight-up arcade run-n-gun, but with infinite continues those games are way too short.

Still not a big fan of how ugly the 3D models looks on the bland background with low detail tiles repeated all the way.

Probably not the same budget than Hard Corps : Uprising but I really think WayForward is capable of much, much better.

Still not a big fan of how ugly the 3D models looks on the bland background with low detail tiles repeated all the way.
In general, retro crowd really hate 2.5D concept altogether. I heard negative responses even for Sonic Superstars on the net. But the mainstream loves it, especially the newer generation gamers who had no experience with pixel visuals on a CRT screen. No surprise Konami and WayForward went for it for Contra after the success of Bloodstained.

I think Contra looks fantastic. I love Hard Corps 2D sprite over 3D looks too but WayForward knows how to do 2.5D properly, as it was proven with Double Dragon Neon, a fantastic brawler. Thanks to 2.5D the speeder segments of Contra 3 made a full return.

In general, retro crowd really hate 2.5D concept altogether. I heard negative responses even for Sonic Superstars on the net. But the mainstream loves it, especially the newer generation gamers who had no experience with pixel visuals on a CRT screen. No surprise Konami and WayForward went for it for Contra after the success of Bloodstained.

I think Contra looks fantastic. I love Hard Corps 2D sprite over 3D looks too but WayForward knows how to do 2.5D properly, as it was proven with Double Dragon Neon, a fantastic brawler. Thanks to 2.5D the speeder segments of Contra 3 made a full return.
Don't get me wrong ; I have nothing against Sonic Superstars, Metroid Samus Returns or Dread. I'm more than ok with 2,5D mixing 2D elements with 3D and stuff (Hard Corps : Uprising is one of my favorite Contra game)

I'm only talking about how I feel like the models and the background doesn't seem to match very well and the backgrounds looks very flat without any depths, IMO,

I will gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, tho. Gimme some run'n gun !

A short and sweet interview between GameXplain and Tomm Hulett (the developer), with an interesting reveal (or moreso confirmation) of the upgraded Laser:

Also since I clearly am starving for more info, I went a little crazy counting frames to rough guess the firing rate of each weapon seen in the reveal trailer (given it's the only one at 60fps):
  • Basic rifle: fires about every 9-10 frames (about 50:50, and for whatever reason 9 frames happens more often during a jump)
  • Machinegun: fires every 6-7 frames (predominantly 7)
  • Laser: fires every 9 frames (it's pretty consistent, except during the hoverbike section - there's variation with some fired at 8 frames and some at 10); Upgraded is a tad slower, firing every 11-12 frames (predominantly 12)
  • Spread: fires every 13-14 frames (predominantly)
  • Homing: fires every 10-11 frames (almost always 11)
  • Crush: not as many examples, but seems to fire every 23-24 frames (favouring 24); while the missile itself detonates on frame 15-16 (where frame 1 is the small grey circle particle effect before the missile spawns)
  • Fire: can't gauge since it's a stream of continuous hitboxes
Upgraded variants of everything not named Laser either weren't shown, or were only available in 30fps which isn't reliable for frame counting (though I suspect Spread and Homing upgraded aren't likely to deviate too much from their base versions).

Hearing how involved Contra 4 developers are in this is really selling me, what a game. I was worried WayForward was maybe just a name at this point but hearing the knowledge that's going into this is fantastic.

Felt it wasn't worthwhile updating earlier, but here are the tweets from the last two weeks (under spoilers):

There's actually a fair bit of Jungle Juncture from Super Contra in the opening of that music track interestingly enough, and to be honest it did feel like some of the stage gameplay had Super Contra sensibilities over the original's...

I still haven't got over how good this game plays. I'm salivating on this new gameplay trailer right now. Bill and Lance's new friends look they're super fun to play with.

This looks fantastic to me. I’m glad Konami chose to stick with WayForward for Contra after whatever that last one was.

The idea intrigues me but watching everything about this game looks like a mobile game to me. That’s not enough to keep me away from it if it does the important things right but I do not love the style graphically.

There's a very good Contra clone on the eshop called Super Cyborg. Often goes on sale for a few dollars. Absolute bargain.

Back
Top Bottom