• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Contra: Operation Galuga announced (Konami/WayForward) UPDATE- demo out now!

New gameplay trailer (updated with Konami's own trailer, previously was the IGN one). Definitely a number of new weapons, and a return of the Contra 4 grapple hook.

There have been a number of Twitter updates in the last few weeks which I'll update this post with when I get some time to (have been busy at work sorry).

Last edited:
It does look a bit better better. I love the NES and SNES Contra games. Contra 4 by WF was good as well. The graphics just look bland IMO because we are comparing some of the the best 2D graphics on their respective systems to the relatively simple 3D graphics for this game. Will wait for impressions/reviews.

Still not a big fan of how ugly the 3D models looks on the bland background with low detail tiles repeated all the way.

Probably not the same budget than Hard Corps : Uprising but I really think WayForward is capable of much, much better.

They are, but they are working under Konami's budget ($$) and timeframe. So they're only able to make a game as pretty as time and money allows them.

I assume the last trailer isn't the Switch version, because it looks miles better than the first showing.

Last edited:
Oh how irritating. I’ve never understood the ‘code in a box’ thing outside of gifts. But particularly for Limited Run’s customer base of collectors happy to pay more for a physical copy. I’m not sure how many of them want a code on a piece of paper

What a ripoff. Don't insult our intelligence. Either release a physical version or don't. Don't try to trick me into buying a digital copy when I don't ever buy digital.

Oh how irritating. I’ve never understood the ‘code in a box’ thing outside of gifts. But particularly for Limited Run’s customer base of collectors happy to pay more for a physical copy. I’m not sure how many of them want a code on a piece of paper
I'm not a collector and I buy Limited Run games because I don't buy digital games as I view them as a rip-off. The publisher should pay me for a digital game because I had to pay for an SD card and the internet bandwidth.

The code in the box thing is because the publisher thinks that customers are idiots. The joke will be on them when this thing bombs.

Keep your eye on PlayAsia as i'll be the Japanese/Asian version will be an actual cartridge and will have English text.

It’s entirely possible LRG does a physical cartridge version later. I think we’ve seen in the past games like Celeste getting multiple print runs via different LimEd Boutique publishers. I’m just shocked it’s not an LRG release out of the gate given their fairly strong partnerships with both Konami and WayForward.

Give WayFoward everything please! Beat em ups, run and guns and side scroller shmups! Operation Galuga looks spectacular, after that they need to get their hands on Metal Slug. Been years since the last mainline Metal Slug.

Solid interview, and really encouraging
The main impression I got from this interview is that they’re sort of treating this as the franchise’s Blaster Master Zero moment. Especially when you realize that abbreviating the name is “Contra OG”.

Edit: And they’re trying to incorporate things like Probotector into the canon, which isn’t dissimilar to BM0 trying to reconcile all the BM “lore” into something sensible

Last edited:
If we’re talking interviews there was a solid one by Poison Mushroom on Valentines Day for peeps who want a bit more game mechanics insight:

Gotta get a feel for the demo once I come off night shifts so I can do some early analysis haha

There’s also an AMA happening next week on the r/NintendoSwitch Reddit if you wanted to ask a bit more for some reason:

Downloading the demo for this currently, I've actually been really looking forward to this since it was revealed, despite the graphics looking kinnnnda crummy. But other than that, it looks like a return to form and as a guy that has like 65 hours on the Contra collection, I'm definitely getting this. Just heard the Switch version isn't 60 fps which is a little bit funny for a game of this scale, so I'm gonna get it on Steam.

It's barely playable. As expected.

Coming from PoP , it's astounding how a game that was clearly made from the groundup for Switch can run and look that bad.

It's barely playable. As expected.

Coming from PoP , it's astounding how a game that was clearly made from the groundup for Switch can run and look that bad.
It's 30 fps and a crushing majority of third party games made within Switch's limits are 30 fps. Honestly, PoP is one of rare exceptions, I'm still at awe that they managed to have it 60 fps. Nothing short of miracle. WayForward is a great developer but I wouldn't expect any miracles from them.

It's 30 fps and a crushing majority of third party games made within Switch's limits are 30 fps. Honestly, PoP is one of rare exceptions, I'm still at awe that they managed to have it 60 fps. Nothing short of miracle. WayForward is a great developer but I wouldn't expect any miracles from them.

Oh but I'm not even mad about the 30fps. It struggles to keep the 30fps steady and there's a weird imput lag making the game sluggish as hell.

Oh but I'm not even mad about the 30fps. It struggles to keep the 30fps steady and there's a weird imput lag making the game sluggish as hell.
I didn't feel a general frame drops in enemies but character animations were not smooth enough. I feel much of those will get patched in a traditional WayForward day 1 patch. Including input lag.

Honestly with how rough the graphics look I worry if it even runs well on other platforms? Hoping it's still a good game on the right platform.

Honestly with how rough the graphics look I worry if it even runs well on other platforms? Hoping it's still a good game on the right platform.
I've heard it runs flawlessly and looks incredible on PS5.

The Switch version... It doesn't even run decently.

Ps5 60fps with some stutter

Forget the framerate. The real crime this game has committed is its icon:
11555.png

Yikes...

Yeah this demo really made me decide to just get the PC version instead, if my 1080ti can handle it over PS5. Not only is there slight input lag, but sometimes there are frame SKIPS which is the worst part. Absolutely avoid this version if you can.

On the other hand, the gameplay additions and changes seem super cool. Definitely worth looking into as an experience though.

Oh reading that there's input delay and an unsteady framerate for the Switch version is actually kinda relieving to me. I thought the game might've been just bad (seeing as it's WayForward...) when I tried it on the Switch, maybe I'll try a different version instead.

I'm not really a Contra-head - only played and enjoyed the collection - but the demo didn't do it for me and it had nothing to do with the presentation. Except the introductory talk was a bit talkative. Level flow and fights just weren't clicking despite the game tossing an entire arsenal at you right off the bat to wow you. Played up to the first level's (not mini-)boss and then uninstalled. Gonna follow this thread with interest to read what fans of the series think of the gameplay side.

I know I've been hard on the game since its reveal but this demo didn't convince me at all to get the game.

I don't get it. Both Ori games, Prince of Persia and many other 2.5D games run at 60 FPS on the Switch, it's not an oddity or something impossible to accomplish.

Especially with what's on the screen. I'm sorry guys but if PoP : The Lost Crown and Metroid Dread run at 60 FPS on the Switch, this should too with no input lag.

I don't get it. Both Ori games, Prince of Persia and many other 2.5D games run at 60 FPS on the Switch, it's not an oddity or something impossible to accomplish.
I don't think it's fair to compare this to those two games. Both PoP and Ori Will of the Wisp are truly miraculous games, Moon studios even revealed massive amount of work needed to be done to achieve that port on Switch. For a small studio that always has multiple titles in development like WayForward this might be harder to achieve. And Operation Galuga looks to be much more intense than PoP.

I know I've been hard on the game since its reveal but this demo didn't convince me at all to get the game.

Especially with what's on the screen. I'm sorry guys but if PoP : The Lost Crown and Metroid Dread run at 60 FPS on the Switch, this should too with no input lag.
tbh I'd be willing to bet Microsoft/Moon Studios and Ubisoft are willing to take more time and put more money into those Switch ports than Konami was willing to give Wayforward for the Switch version of Contra

Not a fan of Contra but I enjoyed the ones I played. This demo plays like crap.
Also, at least here, it retails as code in a box... easy skip.

A few quick videos from Konami’s channel:

Also heads up, the demo has already been datamined as well if you’re concerned for spoilers.

Hmm so a game like this doesn't look good. Man 25 is going to be a long wait for a better speced Nintendo console.

So yeahhhh, the input delay. I think I'm gonna try the Steam version, there is a lot of stuff that looks promising with the game but the sluggishness is preettty bad. It's hard for me to tell if it's due to the unstable frame rate, but yeah playing any other Contra game you can immediately tell the delay. It's particularly bad on crouching. Hopefully the steam version is better.

EDIT: Can confirm this was TEN THOUSAND PERCENT the Switch version, absolutely no delay on the Steam version, is somewhat comparable to Contra 4. Phew, dodged a bullet (literally) my hype for this game was temporarily halted. Anyway, yeah, do not get the Switch version whatever you do.

Last edited:
Dissapointing, I really wanted this one to turn out good. Wayforward has a long history of Switch games that leaves a lot to be desired in terms of visual and performance.

I think they make good games but definitely have problems delivering a smooth experience on Switch.

Alright after spending time with the Steam version, I kinda went completely 180 on this. I was always planning to get this just because it's a 2d Contra game, but it always looked kinda bad since reveal. But now that I've played and seen the Steam version... dare I say this is actually smooth as hell? It has smart additions like a special move that does an AOE attack but requires you to sacrifice the weapon you're holding, it has a double jump which seems small but with the bullet patterns that happen, it becomes a really useful tool. And as icing on the cake, I went from thinking the visuals looked ugly to actually kinda thinking it looks decently good. This game seems like it was absolutely robbed by being revealed with Switch gameplay. A lot more confident in my decision to get this now.

Tried it on Ps4 and then Switch. Both version are trash, honestly. Why? It feels like there's some input lag or something cuz it felt pretty awful to play even b4 I touched the Switch version.

After awhile I got used to it and kinda had some fun but still, sucha mediocre and ugly ass game. I had more fun playing the demo of the top down Contra game than this. That's how mediocre this game is.

Yeah I tried the demo on the Switch and turned it off after a few minutes.

Didn't feel that good to play unfortunately.

I just wished the characters didn't talk. A show don't tell approach.

After the Advance Wars debacle, I became wary of Wayforward. I like the 3DS Shantae but that's it.

If I recall correctly, River City Girls 2 had some pretty rough performance at launch as well, which was eventually patched. Not sure what engine Wayforward is using under the hood but this isn't their first release with spotty perf problems on Switch.

I just wished the characters didn't talk. A show don't tell approach.

After the Advance Wars debacle, I became wary of Wayforward. I like the 3DS Shantae but that's it.

Talking too much is a pillar of Wayforward design, whether it fits the game or not.

How was Advance Wars a debacle? I still have that title on my shopping list, but if it actually had big problems, aside from the release delay, it's an easy cut.

Back
Top Bottom