• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports College Football 2023 |ST| emB1Ggen

Harbaugh suspended from games for the rest of the regular season. Might be seeing the NCAA vacate some wins too now that the Big Ten has acted.

Just saw that John Matocha, the quarterback for Colorado School of Mines (my school!) broke the all-time record today for touchdowns produced.

Sure it’s a D2 school, but that’s the most touchdowns produced… in the history of college football. Ever. Dang!

Really good win for Purdue last night, one Coach Walters desperately needed. This was always a year of questions and transition, but when I showed up to Ross-Ade Stadium to see it nearly sold out despite us being a 2-7 team, I felt really good about the state of the program and the fan base. Keep working, win the bucket, and take some momentum into the next season where a top 25 recruiting class is waiting.

Also this happened.

@WestEgg since we don’t seem to have a Bball thread. Not to bring up old wounds but Purdue helped with this!
Honestly good for them. The loss sucked obviously, but raising the profile of another program is a good outcome.

The irony that I make the college football threads where my team is bad instead of college basketball threads where my team is good.

The irony that I make the college football threads where my team is bad instead of college basketball threads where my team is good.
Lol. That’s a good win. If they can win tomorrow that would be 3 top 11 wins in as many days. Almost seals the tournament auto bid if they play .500 the rest of the way (which they won’t obviously).

In another note. Glad the committee finally recognizing UW strength of schedule and those 3 top 16 wins and loving them up. Honestly should be at 2 or 3 but that would sort itself out if they win out.

Now just need to have some crazy backup scenarios happen this weekend where all the one loss teams and the ACC teams lose so the huskies slide in even with a conference championship loss. Worried about playing Oregon twice (though it’s possible the beavs win and Arizona makes the championship with a win over ASU). Though zona is looking good right now.

College Football Playoff Rankings​

Results of the fourth College Football Playoff rankings for the 2023 season as revealed Tuesday night:

RANK, TEAMRECORD
1. Georgia11-0
2. Ohio State11-0
3. Michigan11-0
4. Washington11-0
5. Florida State11-0
6. Oregon10-1
7. Texas10-1
8. Alabama10-1
9. Missouri9-2
10. Louisville10-1
11. Penn State9-2
12. Ole Miss9-2
13. Oklahoma9-2
14. LSU8-3
15. Arizona8-3
16. Oregon State8-3
17. Iowa9-2
18. Notre Dame8-3
19. Kansas State8-3
20. Oklahoma State8-3
21. Tennessee7-4
22. NC State8-3
23. Tulane10-1
24. Clemson7-4
25. Liberty11-0

Welcome to rivalry week.

Lol. That’s a good win. If they can win tomorrow that would be 3 top 11 wins in as many days. Almost seals the tournament auto bid if they play .500 the rest of the way (which they won’t obviously).
I’m happy with what we’ve accomplished in Maui as is, so playing Marquette is house money at this point. Will still be hoping to win the whole thing though, especially as Q1 wins might not be readily available in conference play.

College Football Playoff Rankings​

Results of the fourth College Football Playoff rankings for the 2023 season as revealed Tuesday night:

RANK, TEAMRECORD
1. Georgia11-0
2. Ohio State11-0
3. Michigan11-0
4. Washington11-0
5. Florida State11-0
6. Oregon10-1
7. Texas10-1
8. Alabama10-1
9. Missouri9-2
10. Louisville10-1
11. Penn State9-2
12. Ole Miss9-2
13. Oklahoma9-2
14. LSU8-3
15. Arizona8-3
16. Oregon State8-3
17. Iowa9-2
18. Notre Dame8-3
19. Kansas State8-3
20. Oklahoma State8-3
21. Tennessee7-4
22. NC State8-3
23. Tulane10-1
24. Clemson7-4
25. Liberty11-0

Welcome to rivalry week.
Honestly pulling for Ohio State to kick Michigan out of the picture, so we get Georgia, Ohio State, Washington, and Florida State. Alabama beating Georgia will cause some chaos of it happens though.

I’m happy with what we’ve accomplished in Maui as is, so playing Marquette is house money at this point. Will still be hoping to win the whole thing though, especially as Q1 wins might not be readily available in conference play.

Honestly pulling for Ohio State to kick Michigan out of the picture, so we get Georgia, Ohio State, Washington, and Florida State. Alabama beating Georgia will cause some chaos of it happens though.

Ultimate chaos is Alabama beating Georgia, Oregon beating Washington, and everyone else holding serve. That gives the committee 8 teams to pick from.

B1G (champ) 13-0
FSU (champ)13-0
Oregon (champ) 12-1
Texas (champ) 12-1
Alabama (champ) 12-1
Georgia 12-1
Washington 12-1
Mich/OSU loser 11-1

Ultimate chaos is Alabama beating Georgia, Oregon beating Washington, and everyone else holding serve. That gives the committee 8 teams to pick from.

B1G (champ) 13-0
FSU (champ)13-0
Oregon (champ) 12-1
Texas (champ) 12-1
Alabama (champ) 12-1
Georgia 12-1
Washington 12-1
Mich/OSU loser 11-1
I love the unquestioned assumption that the Iowa will not pull an upset in the Big Ten Championship game.

B1G (champ) 13-0
FSU (champ)13-0
Oregon (champ) 12-1
Texas (champ) 12-1
Alabama (champ) 12-1
Georgia 12-1
Washington 12-1
Mich/OSU loser 11-1
In this case, the Pac-12 would be out of the picture I think, which sucks. Texas and Bama would have the bigger wins and then you take the undefeated teams. Just add a 12 team playoff this year, logistics and TV money be damned.

In this case, the Pac-12 would be out of the picture I think, which sucks. Texas and Bama would have the bigger wins and then you take the undefeated teams. Just add a 12 team playoff this year, logistics and TV money be damned.

IMG_5971.jpg

I think I have to agree with you. Granted Oregon would have a win over Washington if they win out, but Texas and Bama have better resumes on paper. All of this is ironic because currently Oregon is ranked over both schools and they have a tougher match up next weekend than Texas will so why does Texas get to jump them? (assuming both games are similar). But at the same time, Alabama beats #1 Georgia so they should get in, right? There is no way the SEC would not get a team in the playoffs. Hang on though. Texas beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa by double digits. Why should Bama leapfrog Texas?

Chaos is only a couple of upsets away.

only a few more days until we beat cheating xichigan play a great game against xichigan and the winner will be decided fair and square!

I hear by declare for entirely unselfish reasons we can also talk about basketball now in this thread.

I hear by declare for entirely unselfish reasons we can also talk about basketball now in this thread.
Just make this the NCAA thread? Makes since as there will be Big10 Lacrosse and Pac12 baseball in the spring I will want to randomly muse about

Just make this the NCAA thread? Makes since as there will be Big10 Lacrosse and Pac12 baseball in the spring I will want to randomly muse about
I’ve thought about it and I made the March Madness thread earlier this year, but I wasn’t sure if the interest was here to sustain a full season thread.

Edit: misread, I thought you meant make a new thread

I’ve thought about it and I made the March Madness thread earlier this year, but I wasn’t sure if the interest was here to sustain a full season thread.

Edit: misread, I thought you meant make a new thread
Either way. Probably best to just make a yearly college sports thread? Roost isn’t active enough to sustain multiple though.

Well, it's the off season now, at least for those of us whose teams are not playing for a conference championship or bowl game this year.

I'm going to muse a little bit about Purdue's season and where the program is headed, but let's get this out of the way first:

WE WON THE BUCKET BABY, STAYING WHERE IT BELONGS! BOILER UP, IU SUCKS, ETC.!

4602591153_c16c1394fe.jpg

And you know what? We may have finished 4-8. We may not be going to a bowl game. We may be losing an easier division placement while the Big Ten adds 4 historically superior programs. Yet in spite of all that... I feel good.

This was always going to be a tough year for Purdue. Jeff Brohm leaving for Louisville, along with his staff, and a chunk of recruits, was always going to leave the program depleted. We were at times in contention for the worst team in the Big Ten this year. But, as someone who went to the home games and watched most every game, I still saw promise, I still saw fight, I feel in most games, we had our chances. And I see a lot that looks good for next year.

Hudson Card should be back next year, and he seems like a great leader, who toughed out a rib injury to play this last game. He's mobile, has good accuracy, and generally makes good decisions, and I think another year in the program could do him a lot of good. When he was out last week, Freshman Quarterback Ryan Browne looked pretty decent as well, and I look forward to seeing his development.

We've had a lot of Freshman step up and do great things this year, none more so that Dillon Theineman, who emerged as our best defensive player of the year. The future looks bright for this kid, he pulled down 6 interceptions this year, 2 of which in the last game that were crucial. And with our best tight end Garret Miller injured, 2 Freshman stepped up into the role, and went on to both catch touchdown passes. We also have one of our best ranked recruiting classes coming in next year, and with the staff's success in recruiting and the portal last year, I'm expecting some transfers in, making Purdue a more formidable team going forward that better matches Coach Walters style.

Speaking of, I'm especially glad we sealed this win for Ryan Walters. Ending a season 4-8 with a win against your program rival is a hell of a lot better than finishing 3-9 with an ending loss to your rival, and I really can't undersell how big of a world of difference those scenarios are. People were already skeptical of the hire after the sustained success under Jeff Brohm, but a loss would have brought out the knives, and instead it looks like we're heading into the off season with some momentum on our side.

Anyway, rest in peace, Big Ten West, you were too beautiful for this world. Same to you, PAC after dark. Boiler Up, Famiboards! The off season looks bright, and hey, the basketball team is proving pretty entertaining to watch as well.

With Smith leaving to Michigan State, I think that is proof the cougs and beavs are toast in the transfer portal. Just sucks.

With Smith leaving to Michigan State, I think that is proof the cougs and beavs are toast in the transfer portal. Just sucks.
I was pulling for OSU and Wazzou to hit the fleeing teams in the mouth on the way out, pity things in the real world don’t always work out like that. Any hope of them retaining the PAC branding and merging with Mountain West still?

I was pulling for OSU and Wazzou to hit the fleeing teams in the mouth on the way out, pity things in the real world don’t always work out like that. Any hope of them retaining the PAC branding and merging with Mountain West still?
Latest talk is they are going to stay a 2 team conference for a year and then make a scheduling arrangement with MW for like 6-7 games. Then a reverse merger as the PAC. Apparently there are financial penalties if they don’t take all the teams in this scenario. The other sports in that two year period is up in the air. Best option is West Ciast conference since you have Gonzaga and Portland in that, but that conference has no public sschools. Big West is another option. All California schools (and Hawaii) but great baseball which is better for beavs and cougs. Either way. A weird football structure and a temporary arrangement with other conferences for the Olympic sports and Bball.

This new age of NIL/transfer portal stuff is still wild to me.

And he’s not even that good! Poor decision maker mostly which probably could be changed in a better offensive system/talent. Cougs relied on him too much with virtually no run game. Has the tools though. Watched almost every one of his games since he transferred to Pullman since the wife is a Coug. Absolutely insane but should take the bag since it’s probably his last chance. Imagine going from Incarnate Word to Wazzu to Notre Dame…will be glad when the Covid years and all the transfer stuff is resolved to add a little stability back to the transfer portal.

Also an interesting note, apparently the little cousin of Quandre Diggs on the Seahawks.

I’m not saying this is bad (or good, just reality) but I could see some schools just building huge transfer portal factories and being title contenders from that. Washington is the perfect spot for any good QB to transfer to and get recognized in that offense.

I don't have enough coffee to spit out in regards to Bobby Petrino returning to Arkansas. Do we just have no standards anymore for, like, character? Or professionalism? Could Nick Saban actually murder someone and still get a multi-million dollar deal to coach a year or two later?

Don't answer the questions. I know. I know!

I don't have enough coffee to spit out in regards to Bobby Petrino returning to Arkansas. Do we just have no standards anymore for, like, character? Or professionalism? Could Nick Saban actually murder someone and still get a multi-million dollar deal to coach a year or two later?

Don't answer the questions. I know. I know!
The best part is there are apparently university bylaws that disallow the hire because of the previous firing unless the president specifically approves it…that’s all you need to know about college sports. Hell, Rick Pitino still gets jobs and he has had maybe the most scandals of any NCAA coach. At the kids can get a cut of the money now.

Great game and huge win by UW. That’s one team in the playoff and I would argue they have the best strength of record. Probably stuck at 3 unless Bama wins. Pretty much guaranteed to avoid Georgia which is the best you can hope for.

If UW could tackle, it wouldn’t have been so close. Just the perfect game plan, and Johnson and the OL just ground Oregon into dust by the end. Also having McMillan back was huge to expand the passing game. Defense did just enough in the first half to keep Oregon contained (minus the horrendous Pac 12 officiating). Sad the league is effectively over but it went out about the best it could. Big10 next year is going to be a beast (even if UW/UO/USC/UCLa are losing their QBs).

Vegas also has to be happy!

Washington and Michigan are in, and I do not envy the committee picking the last two.

Washington and Michigan are in, and I do not envy the committee picking the last two.
No matter what they do, a bunch of red state citizens are going to be at their throat.

I say FSU and Texas should get in both because they won their conferences and because the SEC missing out on the postseason altogether would be the funniest possible outcome.

No matter what they do, a bunch of red state citizens are going to be at their throat.

I say FSU and Texas should get in both because they won their conferences and because the SEC missing out on the postseason altogether would be the funniest possible outcome.
It should be this. 3 power 5 undefeated and the Texas Bama head to head winner

I've thought for ages that only a four-team playoff is ridiculous and it should be eight or sixteen. In fact, wasn't this talked about being expanded years and years ago? I thought it was something that was going to happen, even? Or am I making that up?

I've thought for ages that only a four-team playoff is ridiculous and it should be eight or sixteen. In fact, wasn't this talked about being expanded years and years ago? I thought it was something that was going to happen, even? Or am I making that up?
It’s moving to 12 is my understanding. I’m not sure if that’s set for next year or not yet.

A fitting way to end the worst playoff system in sports. Playoff committee was gonna get hate no matter what they decided.

12 would work nicely. Enough to get plenty of teams in and have some underdogs and variety while not making it too big.
There will always be some controversy no matter how many teams you put in as someone will feel snubbed (see the last in/first out at March Madness time) though there is far less wide spread backlash towards a snub the futher down you go.

There will always be some controversy no matter how many teams you put in as someone will feel snubbed (see the last in/first out at March Madness time) though there is far less wide spread backlash towards a snub the futher down you go.
It's really hard for me to imagine a postseason system in college athletics that doesn't end with someone's feelings being unfairly hurt. It's inherently impossible to fairly rank every team from every conference given that there is so little overlap in teams' schedules.

At the end of the day, I think the job of any selection committee is to preserve the artifice that this is the most fair and just way to crown a winner, not unlike a professional wrestler who tries to maintain the artifice of their performance even though everyone in the crowd knows it's an act. Decisions like those made by the committee this year make it impossible to suspend any amount of disbelief that the CFP is anything but a marketing ploy designed to benefit a very small number of schools first and foremost.

I wonder how many SEC teams will make it into the 12-team playoff next year...

Honestly, i'm calling BS on this one. FSU definitely got screwed big time. Undefeated power 5 champ left out of a four team playoff? That is crazy.

It’s moving to 12 is my understanding. I’m not sure if that’s set for next year or not yet.

Yes it is

2024 Season
  • First Round (On-Campus)
    • Friday, December 20, 2024: One Game (evening)
    • Saturday, December 21, 2024: Three Games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)
  • Quarterfinals
    • Tuesday, December 31, 2024: Vrbo Fiesta Bowl (evening)
    • Wednesday, January 1, 2025: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (late afternoon) and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)
  • Semifinals
    • Thursday, January 9, 2025: Capital One Orange Bowl (evening)
    • Friday, January 10, 2025: Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (evening)
  • CFP National Championship
    • Monday, January 20, 2025: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia

Honestly, i'm calling BS on this one. FSU definitely got screwed big time. Undefeated power 5 champ left out of a four team playoff? That is crazy.

Yes it is

They should absolutely claim a national championship if they win their bowl game.

They should absolutely claim a national championship if they win their bowl game.
Absolutely, especially since they'll be playing Georgia who a lot of people think is still better then Michigan, Washington, or Texas if we're being honest.

Good win last night @Barely Able

also

Well Fox helped a lot too, but ESPN definitely has a big part to do with it. Funnily enough, their on air personalities still can’t pronounce UW players names and most the talk was Texas not converting vs UW having an absolutely ridiculous meltdown of clock management decisions and gaffs. Probably should have won by double digits. At any rate….Beat Michigan! Probably the toughest defense UW has faced and their own defense is suspect for sure. But Penix and the receivers are just clicking right now and the team has a way to just make the play they need to win. Should be fun. If it’s like last night though, I might die from the stress.

Hell of a season. Defense gave you enough chances to win the game and just couldn’t convert. A lot was Michigan getting pressure for sure, but too many overthrows and drops. UW should be set up though as a program considering they haven’t had top recruiting classes recently and seem to do great in the transfer portal. Think the trajectory will still be upward even if this level will be hard to reach consistently (if that makes sense).

Pour one out for pac 12 football. The sports’ gods hated the league so much they didn’t even let it go out on top.

Back
Top Bottom