• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Bloomberg: The existing Switch will be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024, Plans for the next fiscal year will be shared at the next meeting

this falls in line with my expectations of a september-ish launch, but DAMN IT!! i don’t want my expectations to be met! stop zipping your lips, furukawa, and give us what we WANT!

Depending on how much awareness of the film industry Nintendo has, they might be learning as they go. The Mario Movie was a weird beat to start on given Illumination's track record and the fact that the film... didn't really work as a film but rather a strange rollercoaster ride for Nintendo fans but not really for critics. It panned out in the end, but we might see slight changes in their approach as time goes on because this is still a new business to them.

I'm still of the opinion that a tighter script or an extra 10/15 minutes to give the film a bit more time to breathe would have carried the film to be genuinely solid.

I don't think they were miles off it tbh.

Still a 9/10 film in my heart.

me every time I read a Bloomberg article:

Toto.png

Last edited:
I'm still of the opinion that a tighter script or an extra 10/15 minutes to give the film a bit more time to breathe would have carried the film to be genuinely solid.

I don't think they were miles off it tbh.

Still a 9/10 film in my heart.
Absolutely. I love it, it’s just so much fun to watch. I’ve seen it over 4 times since it came out and I can’t get enough of it. It’s like a Mario game in that sense.

I really hope they lean into the galaxy stuff for the sequel

Two differences between Switch and Switch 2 that explain why using the Switch "timeline" doesn't necessarily work here:

1. They had to appease investors after their announcement of developing games based on their IPs for mobile phones.

2. The Switch was a massive change for Nintendo systems. It was more of a "Revolution" than the actual Revolution-codenamed Wii. So they had to sell people the idea.

Neither of those points are a concern for Switch 2.

The real concern is maintaining that momentum from Switch 1 to Switch 2, which I think will be difficult, though not unachievable. Convincing consumers they need the Switch 2 to play their new games, while also preserving the legacy titles to run on the new system without fault.

Like you said, it's their "main business" aka main focus heading into 2024, which sounds weird on paper, though given they're reporting on Q3, Q4 is Jan 1st to March 31st, so the wording does make sense.

The question then is will March be the month they reveal it, or wait until the next FY to start before doing so? Might be worth considering at or around March 20th since that's a National Holiday for Japan to finish off the FY.

Some people will be mad about this, but there is more than enough coming for the Switch to last all of 2024. Looking forward to the new console next year.
You may have misunderstood, their next meeting is in a few months
Fy 2024 ends in March.

They will very lilely announce the Switch 2 around spring this year

Looks like the hard deadline for when we'll learn about Switch 2 is May... so basically, nothing has really changed beyond H1 being officially, 1000% off the table, then? Because if the Switch 2 is on track to release by March 2025, the May meeting is the absolute latest they can get away with not talking about it.

Looks like the hard deadline for when we'll learn about Switch 2 is May... so basically, nothing has really changed beyond H1 being officially, 1000% off the table, then? Because if the Switch 2 is on track to release by March 2025, the May meeting is the absolute latest they can get away with not talking about it.
Where is May coming from? FY2024 ends March 2024. Are we thinking they'll reveal Switch 2 at the next shareholder meeting? Because that's not how reveals usually happen.

I appreciate how incredibly vague this statement is, especially since I can use it to support just about any interpretation I choose.

Where is May coming from? FY2024 ends March 2024. Are we thinking they'll reveal Switch 2 at the next shareholder meeting? Because that's not how reveals usually happen.
"The existing Switch will be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024, President Shuntaro Furukawa said on a conference call after the earnings report. The company’s plan for the next fiscal year will be shared at its next earnings briefing, he added."

The next earnings briefing would be in May, meaning we'll know about the Switch 2 to some degree by then. Hence why I said "hard deadline". We're pretty likely to get confirmation of some sort before then. I'd be shocked if we don't get at least a PR statement before the end of March ala the 3DS announcement.

Nintendo is going to wait as long as humanly possible to reveal this thing.
Waiting until.their FY ends make sense. I don't see it as.waiting as long as humanly possible

They've just been very good about leaks and I suspect it hasn't entered mass production yet.

The whole line about "heading into 2024" is just weird and really doesn't mean anything in terms of release for the successor tbh. While it is more likely that the successor is coming in the fall this report does nothing to convince me it is for certain lol.

"The existing Switch will be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024, President Shuntaro Furukawa said on a conference call after the earnings report. The company’s plan for the next fiscal year will be shared at its next earnings briefing, he added."

The next earnings briefing would be in May, meaning we'll know about the Switch 2 to some degree by then. Hence why I said "hard deadline". We're pretty likely to get confirmation of some sort before then. I'd be shocked if we don't get at least a PR statement before the end of March ala the 3DS announcement.
Ah sorry, I misread lol. Thought you were saying we won't hear until May at minimum. But yeah, it does seem like we'd learn of the new hardware by May.

"Plans for the next fiscal year will be shared at the next meeting"

Don't get hung up on this. The big meeting where they outline the next fiscal year is always May, because that's the end of fiscal year meeting. This isn't "we're hiding something now that we're okay talking about in May", it's "we're gonna talk at the same time we always do". Now, there's other reasons to believe a reveal might come by then, but this doesn't add to the smoke pile.

Seems pretty cut an dry, he's saying 2024 is all about the Nintendo Switch.
"Heading into 2024" and "in 2024" are very different statements. But this is all pretty normal corporate speak that means nothing either way imo.

I read this as we aren't ready to talk about the successor yet and will provide the road map for 2024 in May. Lets assume that SNG releases in September, that is makes Switch their primary business for the first six months of their fiscal year. Seeing as how it will be their only platform for at least half the fiscal year, of course it makes sense to say that Switch is their primary business in 2024. Publicly, Nintendo will remain completely committed to their current platform right up until they shift focus to the successor. We have to keep in mind that Switch has still been selling rather well and software sales remain high as well. There is no beneficial reason to announce sooner than necessary. We will get the reveal trailer in March or April so that they can speak to investors openly in May, with proper hardware sales projections.

The successor is almost certainly a direct evolution of the Switch, likely retaining the Switch name. So in the context, of course Switch is their primary focus, the successor will still be a Switch.

They should show it at an event where there's a lot of developers gathering.
To be fair, the system having a presence of sorts at GDC wouldn't necessarily mean that they need to publicily reveal it. That's what happened at Gamescom for example: Nintendo showcased the system's capabilities to invited developers behind the scenes without needing to bring the actual new console there, and clearly there was no official announcement that it exists yet.

At the same time, if what's happening at GDC is that they're not only briefing even more developers about the system and its capabilities, but showing actual units to them, it's not impossible that we could see Switch 2 being revealed before GDC happens to get ahead of the potential leaks that would follow otherwise.

It's not what he said.

It's corp-speak for a "new" fiscal plan coming in next FY, which begins April 1, 2024.

If the intention was to keep Switch the main focus for majority of FY2025 (which ends March 2025), then corp speak would have said Switch will continue to be the main business for the rest of this FY and the next one.

If there was no new system in 2024, Nintendo would just say so. They said last year there was no new hardware coming for 2023.

The fact that they won't say that upfront this year tells you Switch 2 is coming in 2024.

If it launches in say late Sept-Nov 2024, then naturally Switch 1 is still likely the majority of their 2024 business as Switch 2 will only be available in a later part of the year, probably supply constrained at that.

is it possible that the hi-fi rush port is being saved for the drake instead? i imagine the graphically intensive and heavily stylish nature of that game just wasn't feasible to run on switch?
That was my read on that as well. Doesn't rule out a Drake release.

Isn't it in the title you picked for the thread?
"heading into 2024" does not mean 2024 in entirety.

"Plans for the next fiscal year will be shared at the next meeting" meaning the new plan that doesn't necessarily mean Switch 1 is the main focus.

"Next fiscal year" begins April 1, 2024.. THIS YEAR. Making sure you understand what "fiscal year" means. "Next fiscal year" does not begin in 2025.

"The existing Switch will be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024"​

Heading into 2024 vs. Switch will be its main business in all of 2024.
The other part of the issue, he might be thinking "next fiscal year" begins in 2025, when it actually begins April 2024.

Regarding “heading into 2024”, we really need the original Japanese text.

I’m afraid the translation isn’t accurate.

Some people will be mad about this, but there is more than enough coming for the Switch to last all of 2024. Looking forward to the new console next year.
I'm not mad about it. For me, personally, Thousand Year Door and Dark Moon are two games I've never played in franchises the Switch got me into. Same with Metroid Prime, whatever game we get this year. And a bunch of Level-5 stuff will hit nice.

But in terms of sales, it's probably not set up to be a banger year, unless Nintendo has at least two Super Mario Wonder level surprises in it's pocket.

He is not saying that. If he was... he'd say that. Last year Furukawa gave a fairly detailed explanation of their fiscal year plans in the Q&A. Excerpting some quotes
Let me start by explaining our overall approach to the earnings forecast. Given that recent hardware sales have declined by more than 20% year-on-year, a 16.5% decrease of 15 million units is not a goal that we will be able to achieve easily. However, this fiscal year started with the theatrical opening of The Super Mario Bros. Movie and we also plan to release the latest entry in The Legend of Zelda series, which contribute to the acceleration in the Nintendo Switch business that we are working towards in its seventh year since launch.

Our aim is to leverage this momentum into maximizing sales during the holiday season to achieve our sales plans. In terms of software, we will release a variety of new titles, starting with The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4.
TL;DR: we're going to sell a lot of Switches, and we're going to do it by taking this momentum into a big Holiday title - which turned out to be Wonder.

We're still waiting for a posted Q&A with translation but it seems like Furukawa's answer this time was "we'll talk about it later." That's qualitatively different

Regarding “heading into 2024”, we really need the original Japanese text.

I’m afraid the translation isn’t accurate.
It lines up with mention of plan for the next fiscal year. 🤷‍♂️

If Switch 1 was going to be the focus in FY2025, Furukawa would have said Switch will be the main business focus for the entirety of 2024, not just "heading into 2024"

Last edited:
Is there any need to insult people’s reading comprehension in the thread? That seems unnecessarily hostile over what may be a simple mis-understanding…..

I still think it is this year, but given the "heading into", anything prior to September or late August is a pipe dream. I can even see a Holiday release.

Shuntaro Furukawa’s statement is vague enough to be interpreted several ways, which was the purpose of the quote: say everything and anything at the same time.

Nintendo really are the masters of surprises

"The existing Switch will be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024"​

Heading into 2024 vs. Switch will be its main business in all of 2024.
"Heading into 2024" was months ago. That part should be obvious, the fact that he commented at all 2 months into 2024 suggests it means the full year in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised with a fall reveal leading into spring release like we had with Switch, though.

"Heading into 2024" was months ago. That part should be obvious, the fact that he commented at all 2 months into 2024 suggests it means the full year in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised with a fall reveal leading into spring release like we had with Switch, though.
2024 wasn't "months ago" lol. 2024 literally began in the previous month.

Back
Top Bottom