• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Bloomberg: The existing Switch will be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024, Plans for the next fiscal year will be shared at the next meeting

Meelow

Koopa
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him

The existing Switch will be Nintendo's "main business" heading into 2024, President Shuntaro Furukawa said on a conference call after the earnings report. The company's plan for the next fiscal year will be shared at its next earnings briefing, he added.

Those hopes firmed up with an Omdia forecast in January pointing to a new 8-inch Switch device coming in 2024. Now seven years old, the original hybrid-handheld console has outlived most rivals thanks to a succession of hit releases from Nintendo's creative studios.

Last year, however, it fell behind Sony Group Corp.'s surging PlayStation 5, which became the best-selling console in the US, according to Circana. Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox division also gained a big hit in January with Palworld, a game drawing inspiration from Nintendo's Pokémon franchise, which has attracted millions of players to the Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Nintendo remained tight-lipped about any Switch successor plan, with Furukawa declining to comment beyond saying that the company is always researching new hardware and software. Nintendo would benefit from a hardware upgrade in contending with Sony's expanding PS5 user base and Microsoft's cloud-gaming push. The absence of marquee titles on its software release schedule this year is seen as another sign that the company is potentially holding releases back until it has the new platform in place.

"Nintendo is keeping their blockbusters in the oven for now, as they must make sure to have a killer lineup for when the Switch successor launches," industry analyst Serkan Toto said ahead of the earnings report.

Quite telling that Nintendo won't talk about later 2024 during this meaning. Interesting if you ask me :)

I chuckled with this: Furukawa declining to comment beyond saying that the company is always researching new hardware and software.

Last edited:
Switch being their "main business" in 2024 points towards a late 2024 release of the successor at the earliest, imo.

Acknowledgement at the next meeting in May, reveal in June/July. Release in October?

Last edited:
390272.gif

Nintendo is listening and they hear us. They've been planning a business update event for next week, where they look forward to sharing more details with players about their vision for the future of Switch. Stay tuned.
shuntaro-furukawa.large.jpg
768px-Nintendo_Switch_logo%2C_square.png

Keighley about to drop the tweet any minute now!

Nintendo is listening and they hear us. They've been planning a business update event for next week, where they look forward to sharing more details with players about their vision for the future of Switch. Stay tuned.
You mean, Nintendo Direct next week?

TBH this all sounds like it's matching our expected timetable. A reveal between March - April, further details including a launch window in May, a big presentation outlining launch lineup and future games June-July, a release between September - November. Obviously these are estimates, but however it happens, you definitely see the stars aligning for a late 2024 release now.

If Switch 2 launches anytime after June (first 6 months of 2024) then yeah this is objectively a true statement

We getting an announcement next month

It’s weird to me how so many people take “heading into 2024” to mean most or all of 2024.
Same. „Heading into“ just means the first few months and even in that timeframe they could drop a reveal trailer because it wouldn‘t change anything on Switch being the main business.

The next earnings briefing is in May, right?

By then, the next system will probably be announced at least.

Yeah, this literally just says, "We are doing X right now. We will talk about what we are doing later... later." Can't really read much into it, in my view.

I'm assuming we're in for an October/November launch, in time for Christmas. They have time to market this thing from March onwards.

Nintendo easily can get another 15 million Switch from now & 1 year after Switch 2 release. So Nintendo now can focus on Switch 2 story

March: teaser announcement
May: full announcement
September release.
Isn’t Nintendo supposed to ship 10 million of switch 2 in the next fiscal year? If that is true i don’t think September for a release is accurate

Back
Top Bottom