• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Bayonetta 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually the same exact info that I read which lead to me beating it. I still appreciate your post though! Need to practice my dodge offset more, but I’m definitely improving. Made it to Chapter 12 now. Trucking right along!

EDIT: Thanks to everyone here who encouraged me and shared helpful info. I just finished the game and I absolutely loved it. The instant fail QTEs are terrible but beyond that I didn’t really have any complaints. Excited to start Bayo 2 now.

FdiXtPLaUAEQMCQ
Nice work!! This post made my morning. Pleased you persevered with it!! How were the bosses?

I didn't see this before, but in this video you can see Malphas (3:47, link is timestamped):

It appears in the lower-left Demon Menu as well, so this confirms there will be more than the 3 demons we already knew about to be used as weapons, masquerades and summons.

Current confirmed demons and weapons:
  • Madama Butterfly: Guns
  • Gomorrah: Hammer-rifle
  • Phantasmaraneae: Disks attached to a string in a whip-like fashion
  • Malphas: Sword? (I remember watching a sword-like weapon in some footage, maybe a feather-like sword?)
Is there anything else I missed?

Were we thinking there wasn’t gonna be? There’s probably way more, if we’re going by the weapon variety of the first two. No way they’ve shown them all.

I’m most likely getting too excited about a little fake out easter egg from the initial trailer, but is anyone else kinda excited at the possibility of more connections to Astral Chain in Bayo 3 with the realization that the game takes place in a more modern setting and featured Lappy in the trailer?

even if it’s not canon at all, I crave more Astral Chain!

I’m most likely getting too excited about a little fake out easter egg from the initial trailer, but is anyone else kinda excited at the possibility of more connections to Astral Chain in Bayo 3 with the realization that the game takes place in a more modern setting and featured Lappy in the trailer?

I doubt it. Platinum has so much love for their titles it's insane, but it never goes beyond just showing love. Okami has stuff from Viewtiful Joe and DMC, Bayo has all 3 in the form of callback moves and easter eggs, TW101 references pretty much everything that came before, Bayo 2 has a few things from TW101...

It’s not just the Lappy cameo—both games also feature made-man bioweapons called Homunculi as well. Hard not to assume that there may very well be some intentional connection there, and I seriously think Astral Chain might end up being canon to the Bayonetta games.

It’s not just the Lappy cameo—both games also feature made-man bioweapons called Homunculi as well. Hard not to assume that there may very well be some intentional connection there, and I seriously think Astral Chain might end up being canon to the Bayonetta games.
that would be weird since they're owned by different companies. it's probably a one-off joke or reference than a hard "canon"

Quoted by: Tye
that would be weird since they're owned by different companies. it's probably a one-off joke or reference than a hard "canon"
I meant isn’t Devil May Cry supposed to be canon to Bayonetta in some way, even if it may not technically be able to be officially considered as such? ‘Cause this situation would be even more believable than that, considering Nintendo owns both the Astral Chain IP and the rights to the Bayonetta 3 game. SEGA may own the Bayonetta IP but, like with Bayonetta 2, they’re not gonna be able to do anything with Bayonetta 3 without Nintendo’s involvement anyway.

Oh I didn't even catch that before! Certainly makes me a bit more excited then!

I meant isn’t Devil May Cry supposed to be canon to Bayonetta in some way, even if it may not technically be able to be officially considered as such? ‘Cause this situation would be even more believable than that, considering Nintendo owns both the Astral Chain IP and the rights to the Bayonetta 3 game. SEGA may own the Bayonetta IP but, like with Bayonetta 2, they’re not gonna be able to do anything with Bayonetta 3 without Nintendo’s involvement anyway.
I only recall some cheeky references/in-jokes but I'm not sure I'd go so far to call it canon

I only recall some cheeky references/in-jokes but I'm not sure I'd go so far to call it canon
From what I recall reading there are multiple things (characters, objects, etc.) explicitly shared between the two series, like, past the point of just being cheeky references. But I also haven’t played Devil May Cry myself so I’m not exactly well versed on the series.

But, again, even if that’s not the case and Devil May Cry isn’t supposed to actually be canon to Bayonetta (as much as they can imply with the two series being owned by different companies, at least), it’s still very possible that Astral Chain could be canon to Bayonetta considering there are significantly less roadblocks keeping that from happening, since Nintendo has ownership over both Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3.

I meant isn’t Devil May Cry supposed to be canon to Bayonetta in some way, even if it may not technically be able to be officially considered as such?
Yes and no. Kamiya has said certain things like "Enzo is Enzo" (in reference to how there was an Enzo that used to be Dante's biz partner in the first game), and that in his story, "Tony Redgrave" was a reference to Antonio Redgrave, because he was someone Dante respected. And then there's certain things like a certain piece of art with Enzo literally beating the pants of an off-panel Dante in Poker, which likely is another throwback to how Dante "lost his clothes" for his Viewtiful Joe appearance.

But that's just about it. For the sake of these references, Kamiya only cares about acknowledging the original game, because that was the one he directed. And likewise, Itsuno's games not only don't acknowledge Bayonetta in any way at all, but what they propose would be a mismatch for what those games (and their director) propose as series lore. For example, DMC5 proposes that "Tony Redgrave" was named after Dante's hometown. And according to Itsuno, there's no "Heavenly" realm in DMC, at all. It's just human world and the demon world.

So at best, Bayonetta operates in some sort of AU where DMC1 and its backstory happened and Dante exists, but otherwise, doesn't impact the narrative much at all beyond cute references. Maybe Bayo3 will add a few more layers to this because "LUL, multiverse" is a thing they're going to be leaning on even more heavily than they did before. But who knows?

Ever since these "Demon Masquerades" (truly, a Devil Trigger by another name~) were a thing, I couldn't help but wonder if Cereza could "borrow" Alastor for a bonus weapon without getting in trouble. Not like Dante's been using it~!

Also, has there been any word on what’s up with Bayonetta’s VA yet? I’ve been expecting her original VA to still be in the game, voicing what is presumably the Alphaverse Bayonetta, but I’m not sure if there’s been any indication of that actually being the case or not.

Nice work!! This post made my morning. Pleased you persevered with it!! How were the bosses?
Honestly I didn’t have specific trouble with very many of them, and enjoyed most of the fights. The one thing I can remember annoying me was the mortar/turret boss fight in the tower. The last Jeanne fight was hard but in a good way, I absolutely loved it.

I’ve made it to chapter 5 in Bayo 2 and I’m so excited to play more after work tonight! I’m doing way better on average as far as awards go, and I think the gameplay is just finally clicking with me.

Also, has there been any word on what’s up with Bayonetta’s VA yet? I’ve been expecting her original VA to still be in the game, voicing what is presumably the Alphaverse Bayonetta, but I’m not sure if there’s been any indication of that actually being the case or not.
Nope.

Until further notice, I'm just assuming shenanigans in the form of Taylor either altering the voice herself for the sake of a different take on the character, or with studio magic. It wouldn't be the first time...

Were we thinking there wasn’t gonna be? There’s probably way more, if we’re going by the weapon variety of the first two. No way they’ve shown them all.
We didn't know for sure if all weapons would come with a full implementation (weapon+summon+masquerade) as only the original 3 demons had shown up in the menu, but this confirms it.

Also, I'd guess we'll end up with less weapons than in Bayo1 or 2, since now each weapon has a lot more work behind it...not only the masquerade and summon, but each weapon needs to have a full set of combos (so nothing like Chomp or the bow)...unless some demons are reused for several different weapons, like guns/shotgun/bazooka all using Madama Butterfly.

Imagine we meet Balder and he can use Angel Masquerade :p

This is actually the same exact info that I read which lead to me beating it. I still appreciate your post though! Need to practice my dodge offset more, but I’m definitely improving. Made it to Chapter 12 now. Trucking right along!

EDIT: Thanks to everyone here who encouraged me and shared helpful info. I just finished the game and I absolutely loved it. The instant fail QTEs are terrible but beyond that I didn’t really have any complaints. Excited to start Bayo 2 now.
I know I agreed it's probably not going to be the worst thing ever to hop straight into Bayo3 -- given a supposed likelihood that the story won't completely rely on the others, that the gameplay is changed up enough it won't directly carry over, and such -- but I'm glad to see you decided to keep going through the first and that you enjoyed it and are subsequently starting on the second.

It sounds like things are going really well for you on that front. Enjoy!

I would generally assume something like the homunculi is a reference at most. The term itself isn't unique, and these homunculi aren't screaming Astral Chain to me, but perhaps it was selected as a callback to Astral Chain to encourage intertextuality and influence how one perceives this game. I'm not about to assume that at this point, but it's possible.

A Lappy cameo would certainly be possible, especially with the dynamics here of both Nintendo and Platinum. Let's give Bayo a Lappy costume, even!

But I wouldn't assume they'll try integrate shared canon between Bayonetta and Astral Chain. There hasn't been anything decidedly pointing toward that, and establishing shared canon between (presumably) ongoing properties controlled by separate entities is a prospect fraught with danger.

Though I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a new Astral Chain pop up.

I know I agreed it's probably not going to be the worst thing ever to hop straight into Bayo3 -- given a supposed likelihood that the story won't completely rely on the others, that the gameplay is changed up enough it won't directly carry over, and such -- but I'm glad to see you decided to keep going through the first and that you enjoyed it and are subsequently starting on the second.

It sounds like things are going really well for you on that front. Enjoy!
I’m so glad I decided to go through the other two games. I’m appreciating everything so much more and my skill is also steadily increasing. Seems like I would have done myself a disservice to skip ahead. I’m going to care so much more about 3 now.

Despite what people are saying in this thread, Kamiya has actually repeatedly stated on Twitter that he HIGHLY recommends experiencing the first two before 3 for story reasons. I don’t see directors do that a lot, and I’m sure a recap would be fine, but just something to keep in mind.
I think that could be ... very obvious marketing? "Buy my games!"

I think that could be ... very obvious marketing? "Buy my games!"
ehh most of the time marketing goes for “you don’t need to play catch up, anyone can jump in!” for sequels. Monolith did just as recently as Xenoblade 3.

So it stood out to me.

A couple of days ago I started a new playthrough of Bayo1 to get warmed up before 3 hits (it's been years since I last played any Bayo). Having beaten the games several times in the hardest difficulty I jumped straight into Hard and got my ass kicked in mission 1 in the most shameful way. It's like the game goes at a different speed than my brain is able to process. Now I don't know what to do, on one hand I want to keep playing so that I can be competent just as Bayo3 drops, but on the other I don't want to "git gud" and be able to plow through Bayo3 on my first playthrough :p
This would all be solved very easily if the game dropped today but noooooooo we still have to wait a full month for it!

NoE has been weird this year, first the botched XC3 CE which we still dont know much about, and now Bayo 1 exlusive to the MyNintendo Store.

Looks like the physical version of Bayonetta was delayed a bit at Best Buy (in the U.S. at least). Anyone know if that’s the same with other retailers too, or is it just Best Buy? (Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the latter; Best Buy’s really gone to shit the past year or so and I’m always having issues with them now…)

Looks like the physical version of Bayonetta was delayed a bit at Best Buy (in the U.S. at least). Anyone know if that’s the same with other retailers too, or is it just Best Buy? (Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the latter; Best Buy’s really gone to shit the past year or so and I’m always having issues with them now…)
I got my shipping notice from Gamestop (US) yesterday. I'm guessing this is a BB problem unfortunately :(

I got my shipping notice from Gamestop (US) yesterday. I'm guessing this is a BB problem unfortunately :(
Ugh, of course it is. >_> Dunno why I even bother with Best Buy anymore (oh yeah, because I still have Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 preordered with my Gamers Club Unlocked discount, plus all the alternatives are worse in their own ways besides maybe Target), ‘cause this shit happens all the time with them now… =/

Do you mean like ordering it today in hopes of same day pick up or weekend delivery?

I ordered mine when they first announced the physical release in the summer and I got it delivered today from Best Buy.

Nintendo News in the News app for the Switch just dropped some character profiles. So the PR engine is revving up with less than a month to go

Do you mean like ordering it today in hopes of same day pick up or weekend delivery?

I ordered mine when they first announced the physical release in the summer and I got it delivered today from Best Buy.
No, I’ve had my copy preordered ever since preorders first when up too, but Best Buy sent me an email saying “your pre-order isn't quite ready for pickup. We're working to get your pre-ordered item ready for pickup as soon as possible, but it's taking us a little longer than expected.”

And as someone who orders all their games from Best Buy (which I should clearly stop doing), I know this song and dance very well by now. Generally the date I’ll get my copy is when the local stores get their stock in for general sales, and right now the website says you can order it now to have it by October 7th at the earliest, so presumably that’ll also be when my preorder will be available. Unless they inexplicably hold my preorder back an extra day or more after they get their non-preorder stock in store, which is exactly what happened to me with the Steve and Alex amiibo recently. Makes no fucking sense at all.

But if you already got yours then maybe it’s only certain regions that are affected, or maybe orders that shipped weren’t affected but store pickup orders were. And, of course, I did mine for store pickup…mainly because I don’t trust Best Buy’s shipping anymore because every time I would get a Switch game shipped from them the cover art would come with a crease in it on the spine. Because of that a lot of my games I had shipped in 2020 all have messed up spines. =/ Plus I just like being able to go into the store on release day to pick up my game rather than hope that the game arrives on launch day if I get it shipped, which isn’t always the case—though lately it seems I’d probably have better luck going with shipping over in store pickup, if it wasn’t for the whole fucked up spine thing at least…

No, I’ve had my copy preordered ever since preorders first when up too, but Best Buy sent me an email saying “your pre-order isn't quite ready for pickup. We're working to get your pre-ordered item ready for pickup as soon as possible, but it's taking us a little longer than expected.”

And as someone who orders all their games from Best Buy (which I should clearly stop doing), I know this song and dance very well by now. Generally the date I’ll get my copy is when the local stores get their stock in for general sales, and right now the website says you can order it now to have it by October 7th at the earliest, so presumably that’ll also be when my preorder will be available. Unless they inexplicably hold my preorder back an extra day or more after they get their non-preorder stock in store, which is exactly what happened to me with the Steve and Alex amiibo recently. Makes no fucking sense at all.

But if you already got yours then maybe it’s only certain regions that are affected, or maybe orders that shipped weren’t affected but store pickup orders were. And, of course, I did mine for store pickup…mainly because I don’t trust Best Buy’s shipping anymore because every time I would get a Switch game shipped from them the cover art would come with a crease in it on the spine. Because of that a lot of my games I had shipped in 2020 all have messed up spines. =/ Plus I just like being able to go into the store on release day to pick up my game rather than hope that the game arrives on launch day if I get it shipped, which isn’t always the case—though lately it seems I’d probably have better luck going with shipping over in store pickup, if it wasn’t for the whole fucked up spine thing at least…
Ah I see what you mean now. Sorry that's happening today...I haven't ordered physical games in a little while but when I usually do it's the same method you use with Best buy as same-day pickup. I've also had similar thing happen with lesser known games so maybe it could just be a Best buy thing overall lol.

I only did delivery because I'm mainly buying this Bayonetta physical for my collection. I already have it digitally and of course with Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U.

I pre-ordered Bayonetta 1 from Best Buy for in-store pickup back in July and also got a "Your order is taking longer to fulfill than we expected" email yesterday. It's not the end of the world to wait a little longer, but still pretty annoying.

Completely random "discovery" (it was for me), but PlatinumGames made an obvious Bayonetta 3 tease well before the game was officially announced at TGA 2017. They uploaded this video on April '17

Bayonetta saying "now it's time to be naughty" looped 3 times. I never knew about this.

I just beat Bayonetta 1 for the first time. Freaking great game. The combat is just exquisite, and it's so absurd in its humor that I ended up laughing my ass off during the game. Great music too.

I went straight into 2 which seems just as fun, if not a bit of a gameplay glow up.

I'm so here for this series now.

Completely random "discovery" (it was for me), but PlatinumGames made an obvious Bayonetta 3 tease well before the game was officially announced at TGA 2017. They uploaded this video on April '17

Bayonetta saying "now it's time to be naughty" looped 3 times. I never knew about this.

There were actually a couple more in this vein!

At the time, we didn't really know what to make of it. But then the TGAs happened!

FYI the physical version of Bayo1 has the 1.1 patch.

I looked up Bayo2 on HLTB and I think I can peel myself away from Splat3 this month to clear that before Bayo3 hits 😄

I dont understund why all this canonicity of Lappy Cameo and Astral Chain

I mena Astral Chain was a succes Nintendo obtained all the IP,

AC 2it's probably the Next Platinum and Nintendo collaboration

I dont understund why all this canonicity of Lappy Cameo and Astral Chain

I mena Astral Chain was a succes Nintendo obtained all the IP,

AC 2it's probably the Next Platinum and Nintendo collaboration
I would be delighted if we get another Astral Chain next. Such a fun game

I think Lappy was only there for the trailer fakeout so people had a hard time guessing what the game could be, the project G.G. dog was also there.
We can see in all the gameplay footage released that it looks like the cutscene from last year's trailer was also changed to remove the focus on Lappy, it just cuts to Bayo. Lappy can still be seen in gameplay but they don't seem to call attention to it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom