• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |ST| The time machine is inside your desk drawer

2 battles left, which I need to finish the story to unlock. Should probably finish today or tomorrow.

Had a ridiculously good 3-8 fight, zero damage in all three categories, and only 25 seconds of game time.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the final battle and the ending. I don't think it's a spoiler to tell you that they're both awesome.

Regarding the combat, I went back to clean up some S-ranks that I had missed in previous zones on Intense. In doing so, I was able to level up some of my lagging characters and really prioritize upgrading each character's most useful abilities. Now I'm back to the Zone 3 battles and having an easier time than before on Intense. I think I was just a bit under-leveled when I first got to Zone 3 in this version.

Hi. I had this game recommended to me and I played it for 12 hours a day for the last four days and now all my dreams are full of the game.

Really neat VN. It has a lot of gimmicks for the VN sections and I appreciate that.

I have. No idea. What the plot is. I gave up half way but still enjoyed seeing the scene and reacting to it.

I even ended taking notes on the entire game to route some speedrun stuff. One of the fights has an amazing strat and I think the combat has more going for it then people think.

Forgive me, but spoiler tags are little too complex for me on mobile, so I shall extend my thoughts on the game at a later time.

Hi. I had this game recommended to me and I played it for 12 hours a day for the last four days and now all my dreams are full of the game.

Really neat VN. It has a lot of gimmicks for the VN sections and I appreciate that.

I have. No idea. What the plot is. I gave up half way but still enjoyed seeing the scene and reacting to it.

I even ended taking notes on the entire game to route some speedrun stuff. One of the fights has an amazing strat and I think the combat has more going for it then people think.

Forgive me, but spoiler tags are little too complex for me on mobile, so I shall extend my thoughts on the game at a later time.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions you have about the story. I've obsessively explored it to the point of being a walking encyclopedia for the game, although I am a bit rusty compared to back in 2020 when I first completed it.

I updated OP with The Branched.

Mandatory jam for anyone who wants more of the OST. Some of the remixes slaps into oblivion.

Final Battle Time

I knew 3-10 wasn’t the end, lol. And of course it’s apparently at the high school. That’s not even sarcasm, I LOVE the “ends where it all began” trope. Really hyped for this… but first I need to replay 3–10 or else that A rank will bother me. Went all punchy boys and long range for that one, might mix it up a bit better this time.

Final Battle Time

I knew 3-10 wasn’t the end, lol. And of course it’s apparently at the high school. That’s not even sarcasm, I LOVE the “ends where it all began” trope. Really hyped for this… but first I need to replay 3–10 or else that A rank will bother me. Went all punchy boys and long range for that one, might mix it up a bit better this time.

So you haven't started the battle yet? You're in for a treat. Especially the music. 🤯

So I just finished Keitaro's third chapter and holy cow they're living on the space colony city without knowing it aren't they? That's so cool!

In a normal game, this kind of tease/twist would be something saved for the end of the game; the fact they're dropping this just 20% of the way through the story makes me wonder just how crazy and awesome this ride is going to get, and I cannot wait to find out!

So I just finished Keitaro's third chapter and holy cow they're living on the space colony city without knowing it aren't they? That's so cool!

In a normal game, this kind of tease/twist would be something saved for the end of the game; the fact they're dropping this just 20% of the way through the story makes me wonder just how crazy and awesome this ride is going to get, and I cannot wait to find out!

giphy.gif

To be perfectly honest, I have never experienced such a dense and complex story in any medium. The implications of each twist blow my mind. I'm only at 45% in and I don't know if, in the end, I'll understand how each piece of the puzzle fits into the grand scheme of the story. We're really living the game like the characters, experiencing something really bigger than us.

Just rolled the credits. Loved the game. Will do a bigger write up at some point but very satisfied by the ending.

I was able to finish the game earlier today. I'm still 99% on the Analysis mode. Seems I still have to unlock 1 Mystery Point somehow...

I was able to finish the game earlier today. I'm still 99% on the Analysis mode. Seems I still have to unlock 1 Mystery Point somehow...
I have 1 lone A rank (the second to last battle) I need to finish off to be at full completion, but I think I’ll come back to it later.

Curious if there’s any rewards for
the postgame battles

Okay Fami, let's see your tier lists!

ssc5Gfr.png
676.jpg

You know what? I'm with you... I like Ryoko Shinonome too!
I felt sorry for her since her chapter's ending implied she would succumb to memory loss and eventually end up in a vegitative state with only the supportive comfort of having Ei Sekigahara around as a sort of brother figure...but then it seems to imply that even her "condition" was simulated as well.

I'm going to have to check that timeline portion again. Man, what a ride...

Last edited:
Make two separate tiers if you like. :)

I might have to! I've manage to do the long range + sentry spam technique for almost the entire Destruction campaign and got S rank for all but one level.
Also Super Large Missile is the shit!

Edit: Changed my mind again! This will be largely dependent on how you spec your characters!

Destruction Tier List:
qSfK2Vq.png

Remembrance Tier List:
z6syGNA.png

Edit 2: Apparently in the Destruction mode, there are some significant changes compared to the PS4 version:

For one Minami now has Wide Range Railgun, and Hijiyama also has an Anti-Air version of the Demolisher Blade which is super useful against RPFs.

So while I stand by saying Sentries are very useful, don't forget to invest in those railgun weapons for the characters who do have them. Also I started experimenting more with character loadouts and it can very well make the difference between the grade in each of the maps (less "dead" turns).

Last edited:
Feel free to hit me up with any questions you have about the story. I've obsessively explored it to the point of being a walking encyclopedia for the game, although I am a bit rusty compared to back in 2020 when I first completed it.

EDIT: Sorry I don't understand how to use spoiler tags at all. I cannot explain then.

EDIT again: I figured it out.

The thing I am confused for the most right now is the Arc. Why did they need millions of years to build the clones? And why did no one live in the Arc? I guess I don't understand why they were trapped and needed to beat the game to get out

Also for the final map, if you do camera manips correctlly, you can win without even attacking and the terminal doesn't get damaged.

Last edited:
Quoted by: SiG
The thing I am confused for the most right now is the Arc. Why did they need millions of years to build the clones? And why did no one live in the Arc? I guess I don't understand why they were trapped and needed to beat the game to get out
Space travel takes a considerable amount of time, even several thousand lifetimes for that matter, using sublight methods, so there was no way people could be kept alive for such a long time, hence why they were only able to send the genetic information (as data) of those on board the oribital space station. Yuki Takamiya (2188) even created a system so that it would create and disperse multiple pods that would replicate and repair using only material found from asteroids during its very long journey (basically each pod matches data from each other to ensure there was no corruption). For all we know, the growth of the 15 in the pods took place millions of years into the future since they pointed out that the new planet they inhabit is somewhere in the Virgo star cluster.

I might have to! I've manage to do the long range + sentry spam technique for almost the entire Destruction campaign and got S rank for all but one level.
Also Super Large Missile is the shit!

Edit: Changed my mind again! This will be largely dependent on how you spec your characters!

Destruction Tier List:
qSfK2Vq.png

Remembrance Tier List:
z6syGNA.png

Edit 2: Apparently in the Destruction mode, there are some significant changes compared to the PS4 version:

For one Minami now has Wide Range Railgun, and Hijiyama also has an Anti-Air version of the Demolisher Blade which is super useful against RPFs.

So while I stand by saying Sentries are very useful, don't forget to invest in those railgun weapons for the characters who do have them. Also I started experimenting more with character loadouts and it can very well make the difference between the grade in each of the maps (less "dead" turns).

Wow, seems like we played very differently, Takamiya was my MVP all the way, very fast, efficient, and her Quad Leg Spike was my number 1 weapon against the big lads. I had Shinonome on my team as well, not knowing that the Sentries was as nerfed as they ended up being, so she wasn't being used much. I didn't make much use of Minami or Miura either. Kisaragi, though, her upgraded Long-Range Missile and the GOAT Missile Rain was very helpful.

As for your Remembrance tier, I agree with Ogata. I felt his story started out very interesting, but it sort of ended on a bit of a dud. (Ogata, full story spoiler)

The only real puzzle piece that his story brought was the fact that Minami had the activation key, but that feels like it could've been more important than it ended up being. It's clearly the reason that the Kaiju "skipped" 1985 and went straight for 1945, but I feel like there should've been more significance there.

Kurabe's story, though, offered up some of my favorite moments in the entire game. (Kurabe, full story spoiler)

"... Who are you talking to?"

I have 1 lone A rank (the second to last battle) I need to finish off to be at full completion, but I think I’ll come back to it later.

Curious if there’s any rewards for
the postgame battles
Nope

To be perfectly honest, I have never experienced such a dense and complex story in any medium. The implications of each twist blow my mind. I'm only at 45% in and I don't know if, in the end, I'll understand how each piece of the puzzle fits into the grand scheme of the story. We're really living the game like the characters, experiencing something really bigger than us.
I thought the same, but it's so brilliantly told that, yes, you will understand how each piece of the puzzle fits by the end of the story.

There is one inconsistency I can't get my head to wrap over:
It's the scene when Ryoko Shinonome, Yuki Takamiya, and Tetsuya Ida get teleported out of the UFO room, and Shu Amiguchi is stuck with the two Men in Black when Natsuno Minami teleports in. Between that and when Okino Tsukasa and Tomi Kisaragi appear, I couldn't find the events that happen that let Natsuno and Shu escape the two Men in Black, since they were after BJ, which Natsuno was carrying with her.

There is one inconsistency I can't get my head to wrap over:
It's the scene when Ryoko Shinonome, Yuki Takamiya, and Tetsuya Ida get teleported out of the UFO room, and Shu Amiguchi is stuck with the two Men in Black when Natsuno Minami teleports in. Between that and when Okino Tsukasa and Tomi Kisaragi appear, I couldn't find the events that happen that let Natsuno and Shu escape the two Men in Black, since they were after BJ, which Natsuno was carrying with her.

Hm. Good call. I'd have to check the Event Viewer to be sure, but I don't think there's any scene in the game that will explain that gap. Finding something like that is something of a rarity in this game, as its interwoven series of events generally hold up very well to scrutiny.

If I had to guess, there probably was something planned as an interstitial event between those two scenes that ended up getting cut.

I’ve been listening to some of the tracks on YouTube today and think I’ll actually buy the iTunes versions. I did the same for Xenoblade 2 (+ Torna) and the NieR games. I like supporting OST releases that slap especially hard.

I’ve been listening to some of the tracks on YouTube today and think I’ll actually buy the iTunes versions. I did the same for Xenoblade 2 (+ Torna) and the NieR games. I like supporting OST releases that slap especially hard.

What did you end up thinking of the song from the final battle? It's my favorite.

What did you end up thinking of the song from the final battle? It's my favorite.
It’s fantastic, probably my favorite in the game (though both the second to last battle and Seaside Vacation are both pretty great as well). I love the variety of it.

Speaking of the final battle, what's the key to getting S Rank there?
I managed it on my first go, which is weird because the previous one I had to give a few more tries to get the S afterwards.

My team was Ogata, Sekigahara, Kurabe, Minami, Miura, and Yakushiji. Everyone was around level 30-33, had their systems components upgraded to level 3, and each ability at +5 or so. At the start I had Miura immediately drop a super large missile on the row of Twintails, had Ogata and Sekigahara Throw up a bunch of anti air defenses, and then put them and Kurabe on boss hunting duty. All three of them could take down basically any large enemy in one shot with either Demolisher Blade or the Plasma Cutter. Yakushiji had some ridiculously effective wide range shot (high power something or other) and was made more effective near Kurabe so she stuck pretty close to him and stayed mostly on clean up duty. Minami and Miura stayed pretty close to the terminal. Miura’s wide range bombardment is extremely effective over a large area when close, so I’d pop that whenever a large group got close, and Minami’s precision machine gun is really good for focused long range damage. One or both of them also had missile rain, which was pretty handy for a wide range.

Basically I just kept everyone on task, dropped an EMP Burst when things got too close, and prioritized enemies like this: Apsos > large enemies > Twintails > Gladiators > everything else. I’d try to make sure either one of the punchy boys or Yakushiji was there to intercept any drops as they landed. By the time the mission ended, I had actually almost cleared the map anyway.

I managed it on my first go, which is weird because the previous one I had to give a few more tries to get the S afterwards.

My team was Ogata, Sekigahara, Kurabe, Minami, Miura, and Yakushiji. Everyone was around level 30-33, had their systems components upgraded to level 3, and each ability at +5 or so. At the start I had Miura immediately drop a super large missile on the row of Twintails, had Ogata and Sekigahara Throw up a bunch of anti air defenses, and then put them and Kurabe on boss hunting duty. All three of them could take down basically any large enemy in one shot with either Demolisher Blade or the Plasma Cutter. Yakushiji had some ridiculously effective wide range shot (high power something or other) and was made more effective near Kurabe so she stuck pretty close to him and stayed mostly on clean up duty. Minami and Miura stayed pretty close to the terminal. Miura’s wide range bombardment is extremely effective over a large area when close, so I’d pop that whenever a large group got close, and Minami’s precision machine gun is really good for focused long range damage. One or both of them also had missile rain, which was pretty handy for a wide range.

Basically I just kept everyone on task, dropped an EMP Burst when things got too close, and prioritized enemies like this: Apsos > large enemies > Twintails > Gladiators > everything else. I’d try to make sure either one of the punchy boys or Yakushiji was there to intercept any drops as they landed. By the time the mission ended, I had actually almost cleared the map anyway.

Also, you were most certainly over-leveled compared to the average player since you said you were going back and replaying levels to get all S ranks.

Not to say that your strategy wasn't sound and effective. But your were probably above the average in terms of damage output and EP generation at that point.

Also, you were most certainly over-leveled compared to the average player since you said you were going back and replaying levels to get all S ranks.

Not to say that your strategy wasn't sound and effective. But your were probably above the average in terms of damage output and EP generation at that point.
True. I was also playing on normal instead of intense, though I think I only replayed 5 or so levels before the end, I’d usually get the S unless I got too reckless and ate some missiles.

True. I was also playing on normal instead of intense, though I think I only replayed 5 or so levels before the end, I’d usually get the S unless I got too reckless and ate some missiles.
Oh, that's another wrinkle then. On Normal it's considerably easier to get S ranks than on Intense, especially in this Switch version.

I've been sticking to Intense on this playthrough, but I'll probably go back and clean up the S ranks that I missed on Normal for the sake of expediency.

Oh, I don't mean the final battle, but rather the second to the last battle. You know, the one that involves the Hi-Quad EX and a few seconds in they spawn 2 APSOS EX just to annoy you. Also doesn't help that the Hi-Quad EX has this anti-air shield that even blocks Super Large Missile attacks!

Last edited:
I have been binging Remembrance (60ish% completion) to the point where I now will have to binge Destruction (have not started with Area 2 yet), and I regret nothing.

I have been binging Remembrance (60ish% completion) to the point where I now will have to binge Destruction (have not started with Area 2 yet), and I regret nothing.

Haha, that happened to me too.

When the game came out, it was one of those wonderful, rare occasions where I only stopped playing for food and bathroom breaks. I was sooo hooked.

I kind of did the opposite, I’d play Destruction as far in as I could and then would play remembrance until I got to the next unlock. At first it was to “get it out of the way”, but the combat grew on me over time, and it just kind of became my flow.

The thing is that I love the story and the RTS gameplay, so I just end up doing each of them in bulk because I can not help myself.

Here's my tier list overall, some spoiler characters included. Probably could move a few around depending on my mood, but I'm okay with this one.

my-image.png

I've been doing roughly one Destruction level for every 3 story chapters as a palette cleanser and so far it's working for me.

Just started Yuki and Nenji's stories; it was an interesting choice to reveal that Yuki is Natsuno's mum before we even get to play as Yuki; most games would've saved that reveal for later once we knew Yuki better for added shock value. The way this game is going though, I assume they had good reason for this decision and that there's still plenty of bigger twists to come.

So far my favourite story is Keitaro's, but honestly there's not a single miss among them so far, every one is engaging and enjoyable.

Man. The area 3-10 boss fight on Intense is some shit. After failing twice I had to bump it down to Normal, which was then a cakewalk. Intense is legitimately a hard difficulty mode for the bigger fights this time around. That's an improvement over the PS4 version, for sure, but damn if it's not ball-bustingly hard at times. You just take SO much damage on Intense.

Finished the game. Loved it, then again that was expected. Still, Muramasa is my favorite VN Game so far, but this is close.

BJ Best companion

I've been enjoying it so far. Got to say I finished Iori's story and out of the cast, I like her the least. Maybe its her childish personality idk

Now that I’m finished, I do have a couple questions someone more immersed in the lore may be able to clear up.

So, the 15 compatible are the only “real” people in the game, and were in growth pods, from which they emerge at the ending. Does every loop contain a different generation of these grown clones, that assumedly ages in real time, and then dies when they inevitably fail (until the final loop), to be replaced by a new clone from scratch, or has it always been just the single batch of cloned humans in the growth pods, but they were kept in a stasis for the millions of years as the loops went on, and the brains in the bodies are just occupied by whatever the current generation of the compatible are?

Now that I’m finished, I do have a couple questions someone more immersed in the lore may be able to clear up.

So, the 15 compatible are the only “real” people in the game, and were in growth pods, from which they emerge at the ending. Does every loop contain a different generation of these grown clones, that assumedly ages in real time, and then dies when they inevitably fail (until the final loop), to be replaced by a new clone from scratch, or has it always been just the single batch of cloned humans in the growth pods, but they were kept in a stasis for the millions of years as the loops went on, and the brains in the bodies are just occupied by whatever the current generation of the compatible are?
Yes, the 15 compatibles are the only "real" people living within the simulation, and they exit the growth pods onto the terraformed planet in the ending.

Each time that a loop occurred when they were all around the age of 16, their bodies in the real world would be "broken down" (Kamitani's phrasing) and then remade anew within the pod. The simulation would then start up back at the beginning with the 15 of them being born in their respective time periods/sectors.

I think it says somewhere in the Mystery Files that it's estimated that their particular facility/simulation had been through hundreds or even thousands of loops to the point where it was about to be no longer able to loop should they have allowed the Deimos to reach the mainframe this time around. The facility within which the pods and simulation were being housed and run on the new planet was only able to operate for some amount of time, and the loops had been happening for long enough that it was about to cease functioning. So this really was their last chance at continuing the human race millions of years after 2188.

That said, they weren't looping for millions of years. Most of those millions of years were spent traveling vast distances in space to reach their new planet, constructing the facilities and terraforming equipment, and then terraforming the planet to where it could sustain human life. Only once all of that is done does the process of creating the clones and starting their simulation begin, and the simulation was only supposed to take 20 years before releasing them from their pods and educating them for two more years about Project Ark and how to start a new civilization.

In this story, however, Inaba's interference (with help from Professor Morimura) allows them to end the simulation prematurely at the age of 16 and emerge from their pods as you see in the ending.

I could go way deeper into the motivations of various major characters who all had their own goals regarding the ending of the story if you'd like. I just figured I'd answer your question first.

Last edited:
Rn I have tons of questions (ones really dumb imo) but beasically I got all the logs and may try the other stages for fun later on, I enjoyed the combat.
Feel free to ask them with spoiler tags in here, and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm basically the Analysis section in human form at this point.

Feel free to ask them with spoiler tags in here, and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm basically the Analysis section in human form at this point.

Alright, here goes:

Plot

1.- Dumb question but the original people were the ones from 2188 and our beloved characters are just clones of them?
2.- Do they explain why Earth went to crap? (probably global warming and pollution etc)
3.- So they recreated all people that were AI from scratch? even their memories?
4.- Could you say that Ida was the villain?
5.- Where did the corp get so many materials to build that large army and go unnoticed?
6.- If they failed the final mission they would naver wake up therefore humans would go extinct?
7.- Did the original colonies from Universal control went to crap? Curious about that one.
8.- So they all good in the end? Looks like they decided for a 1985 start in the new world?

Characters (mix of questions and opinions)

1.- Wtf how can Shiba and Fluffy be the same 426? I though that they were from a different loop or something
2.- Another Wtf moment: You telling the that Gouto and Ryoko ended up together? Yes I saw they "dated" before in a battle intro but it didnt pan out (like how, that must have been the blandest relationship ever, at least Hijiyama TRIED to flirt with Ryoko and still looks like he ended up being with Okino anyway)
3.- Keitaro had no personality yet became the luckiest fella (more than weird considering I liked BJ a lot)
4.- Sekigahara looked like a forced badass. Ryoko and Megumi were such simpettes. At least Iori was attracted by Sekigahara's looks or something so its more understandable at least.
5.- I really hate how in many dialogues were like "Hijiyama, I thought you were dumb, but you are surprisingly sharp" He is at least imo, the best male character my miles. (Minami being the best female character by many, many kilometres)

Last edited:
Alright, here goes:

Plot

1.- Dumb question but the original people were the ones from 2188 and our beloved characters are just clones of them?
2.- Do they explain why Earth went to crap? (probably global warming and pollution etc)
3.- So they recreated all people that were AI from scratch? even their memories?
5.- Where did the corp get so many materials to build that large army and go unnoticed?
6.- If they failed the final mission they would naver wake up therefore humans would go extinct?
7.- Did the original colonies from Universal control went to crap? Curious about that one.
8.- So they all good in the end? Looks like they decided for a 1985 start in the new world?

Characters (mix of questions and opinions)

1.- Wtf how can Shiba and Fluffy be the same 426? I though that they were from a different loop or something
2.- Another Wtf moment: You telling the that Gouto and Ryoko ended up together? Yes I saw they "dated" before in a battle intro but it didnt pan out (like how, that must have been the blandest relationship ever, at least Hijiyama TRIED to flirt with Ryoko and still looks like he ended up being with Okino anyway)
3.- Keitaro had no personality yet became the luckiest fella (more than weird considering I liked BJ a lot)
4.- Sekigahara looked like a forced badass. Ryoko and Megumi were such simpettes. At least Iori was attracted by Sekigahara's looks or something so its more understandable at least.
5.- I really hate how in many dialogues were like "Hijiyama, I thought you were dumb, but you are surprisingly sharp" He is at least imo, the best male character my miles. (Minami being the best female character by many, many kilometres)

Yes. The originals are the 2188 characters, and the 15 characters in the story that we play are clones of them. They are just one of many, many groups of these clones that have come into existence throughout the universe as Project Ark sent untold number of self-replicating ships carrying their DNA out to planets in every direction. Not to mention even in this one particular group they've been born, lived to the age of 16 within the sim, broken down/dissolved within their pods when the simulation hard resets due to the Deimos reaching the terminal in all sectors, and then reborn over and over due to the many loops that their simulation went through before finally escaping in the game's ending.
Professor Morimura sold some nanomachine tech via the black market to drum up funds for her work at Shikishima (2188), which then led to the proliferation of a nanomachine virus that gradually wiped out all human life on earth. The 15 characters in 2188 were the last humans remaining up on a space colony with dwindling resources/life support, many of whom were developing/finalizing Project Ark up there as a latch-ditch effort to prevent the total extinction of the human race.
Do you mean in the ending? No. Five years after emerging from the pods on the new planet, they managed to boot the simulation back up and restore it to the state it was in before the DEIMOS started ruining everything. All of the AI characters within the sim had been backed up to Sector 0 by Professor Morimura (child Morimura), and that's how they were able to restore them in their previous states when the main characters decided to hop back into their pods to visit their old AI friends and family. After all, AI or not they were real to them for their first 16 years of life. A common topic in science fiction and in 13S in particular is whether or not artificial intelligence is essentially equal to real, human consciousness if developed to the point of being unmistakable from reality.
I'd say he's the closest thing to a villain in the game's story since he wanted to deliberately force another loop so he could try once again to replace Tomi Kisaragi's memories/consciousness with that of the Tomi he loved from one loop prior to the game's current timeline. The problem is, he didn't realize until far too late that there couldn't be another loop since the facility housing them in their pods and running the simulation was likely on the verge of shutdown after looping for upwards of 5,000 years. So if Ida had gotten his way, everyone would've died for good, so to speak.
What large army? The Deimos? Well, they are all code within a simulation, and the Deimos tower-defense part of that code was borrowed from the old Mighty Kaiju Deimos game from the 2100's that 2188 Okino used as the basis for the world generation within the simulation. He had essentially commented out the whole tower defense/kaiju stuff, but then 2188 Shinonome's last-minute derailment of the project involved essentially causing that to trigger around 16 years into the simulation to prevent it from ever succeeding. This is what causes the endless looping. The Deimos being represented as terraforming equipment from Shikishima is due to the manufacturing data being taken from the artificial satellite orbiting the planet that they were to inhabit after emerging from their pods and sent to the automated factories in the 2100's within the simulation. If that's still confusing, I can try to clarify further later. Let me know.
Kind of, yes. This particular group would've died in their pods, and the facility supporting them and the simulation on this particular planet would've ceased to function, thus ending all hope for humanity to begin anew on that planet. That said, there's an extra scene that unlocks after finishing the game called Infinite Possibilities. It's the last scene in the Event Viewer, and it depicts another group of our 15 clones on a different, faraway planet dealing with a Deimos invasion of their own. Project Ark sent out a bunch of self-replicating and self-sustaining ships to various planets, so it's possible (albeit unlikely) that one of the other groups on another planet found a way to escape the looping sim as well.
Which original colonies are you referring to here? Universal Control only exists within the simulation.
They've all been spending the last five years trying to start civilization anew on the terraformed planet that they now call home. The credits sequence in 1985 is them hopping back into the pods to revisit all of their old AI buddies in the simulation after successfully getting it back up and running in the state it was before the Deimos invasion.

Hopefully that's mostly helpful. If not, I'd be glad to clarify whatever you need.

Yes. The originals are the 2188 characters, and the 15 characters in the story that we play are clones of them. They are just one of many, many groups of these clones that have come into existence throughout the universe as Project Ark sent untold number of self-replicating ships carrying their DNA out to planets in every direction. Not to mention even in this one particular group they've been born, lived to the age of 16 within the sim, broken down/dissolved within their pods when the simulation hard resets due to the Deimos reaching the terminal in all sectors, and then reborn over and over due to the many loops that their simulation went through before finally escaping in the game's ending.
Professor Morimura sold some nanomachine tech via the black market to drum up funds for her work at Shikishima (2188), which then led to the proliferation of a nanomachine virus that gradually wiped out all human life on earth. The 15 characters in 2188 were the last humans remaining up on a space colony with dwindling resources/life support, many of whom were developing/finalizing Project Ark up there as a latch-ditch effort to prevent the total extinction of the human race.
Do you mean in the ending? No. Five years after emerging from the pods on the new planet, they managed to boot the simulation back up and restore it to the state it was in before the DEIMOS started ruining everything. All of the AI characters within the sim had been backed up to Sector 0 by Professor Morimura (child Morimura), and that's how they were able to restore them in their previous states when the main characters decided to hop back into their pods to visit their old AI friends and family. After all, AI or not they were real to them for their first 16 years of life. A common topic in science fiction and in 13S in particular is whether or not artificial intelligence is essentially equal to real, human consciousness if developed to the point of being unmistakable from reality.
I'd say he's the closest thing to a villain in the game's story since he wanted to deliberately force another loop so he could try once again to replace Tomi Kisaragi's memories/consciousness with that of the Tomi he loved from one loop prior to the game's current timeline. The problem is, he didn't realize until far too late that there couldn't be another loop since the facility housing them in their pods and running the simulation was likely on the verge of shutdown after looping for upwards of 5,000 years. So if Ida had gotten his way, everyone would've died for good, so to speak.
What large army? The Deimos? Well, they are all code within a simulation, and the Deimos tower-defense part of that code was borrowed from the old Mighty Kaiju Deimos game from the 2100's that 2188 Okino used as the basis for the world generation within the simulation. He had essentially commented out the whole tower defense/kaiju stuff, but then 2188 Shinonome's last-minute derailment of the project involved essentially causing that to trigger around 16 years into the simulation to prevent it from ever succeeding. This is what causes the endless looping. The Deimos being represented as terraforming equipment from Shikishima is due to the manufacturing data being taken from the artificial satellite orbiting the planet that they were to inhabit after emerging from their pods and sent to the automated factories in the 2100's within the simulation. If that's still confusing, I can try to clarify further later. Let me know.
Kind of, yes. This particular group would've died in their pods, and the facility supporting them and the simulation on this particular planet would've ceased to function, thus ending all hope for humanity to begin anew on that planet. That said, there's an extra scene that unlocks after finishing the game called Infinite Possibilities. It's the last scene in the Event Viewer, and it depicts another group of our 15 clones on a different, faraway planet dealing with a Deimos invasion of their own. Project Ark sent out a bunch of self-replicating and self-sustaining ships to various planets, so it's possible (albeit unlikely) that one of the other groups on another planet found a way to escape the looping sim as well.
Which original colonies are you referring to here? Universal Control only exists within the simulation.
They've all been spending the last five years trying to start civilization anew on the terraformed planet that they now call home. The credits sequence in 1985 is them hopping back into the pods to revisit all of their old AI buddies in the simulation after successfully getting it back up and running in the state it was before the Deimos invasion.

Hopefully that's mostly helpful. If not, I'd be glad to clarify whatever you need.

Thanks for the extensive answers. The other questions (which are most of the ones at the bottom) I'm still a bit irked about them.
Now I understand like most of the plot.

Finally rolled credits - that was a really cool game, I’m very glad I gave it a go!

I can only imagine how crazy the process of story-boarding this game was early in development, so many interlocking stories and perspectives somehow woven into a satisfying and consistent whole.

I like how they seemingly managed to incorporate pretty much every sci-fi trope here (nano machines, clones, interstellar colonies, androids, AI, virtual reality, fake time travel, “WE are the aliens,” big corporation corruption, mind uploading, mechs, etc)

Last edited:
Finally rolled credits - that was a really cool game, I’m very glad I gave it a go!

I can only imagine how crazy the process of story-boarding this game was early in development, so many interlocking stories and perspectives somehow woven into a satisfying and consistent whole.

I like how they seemingly managed to incorporate pretty much every sci-fi trope here (nano machines, clones, interstellar colonies, androids, AI, virtual reality, fake time travel, “WE are the aliens,” big corporation corruption, mind uploading, mechs, etc)

Full game spoilers

The fact that the game has time travel that isn't actually time travel (sectors) but also real time travel (loops) really threw me off-beat for the first half of the story, I had no idea how they were able to travel in 40-year intervals without messing up the past etc, and how sometimes they went only 16 years back in the past, and why Iori is Morimura and Shu Amiguchi is Ida, and my head hurt..

.. but then it all clicked.

I was reading through the abilities added for the Switch version, and like all of them were instrumental for my team in the final battle. Seriously, like my entire strategy revolved around the ones for Miura, Yakushiji, and Kurabe.

I was reading through the abilities added for the Switch version, and like all of them were instrumental for my team in the final battle. Seriously, like my entire strategy revolved around the ones for Miura, Yakushiji, and Kurabe.

Yeah the new abilities are all game-changers.

Back
Top Bottom