• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |ST| The time machine is inside your desk drawer

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
TqRNjzw.jpg

zYYqElt.jpg

4AyvjY8.jpg

RrGYSID.jpg

mFnarIv.jpg

Z8ZHkzi.jpg

7bX696b.jpg

SUCkder.jpg

lMyGwyg.jpg

MBHYas7.jpg

WkG3A24.jpg

ytJz2sW.jpg

wYlquE6.jpg

tJM5k94.jpg

Qx4ds4A.jpg

Qu9H3Um.jpg

5Iw3B7E.jpg

XcrQqMW.jpg

vpzOwjU.jpg

7sGS1v2.jpg

2lF4gxN.jpg

Ztz9QiC.jpg

u3gxkGX.jpg

LPJafiA.jpg

MZ2GFJK.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just here watching with popcorn for people who are new and posting their reactions! Even if this thread will probably be like 90% spoiler tags I still hope people post thoughts and plot ideas and such as they go, I'm super interested to see them.

Awesome ST!

Didn’t know everyone got new weapons for their Sentinels. That’s cool!

Very nice ST! My copy probably won't arrive until tomorrow, boo.

First time playing. I completed the prologue. Some super early thoughts:

The art is splendid, the game is visually incredible. The blend of 3D and 2D works so well I would love to see an anime in this style. The music too was pretty chill in the classroom segment.
Sensei definitely is sus (and she looks a lot like the chubby classmate, but maybe that’s just an art style thing) but she seems to care her student so far.
The VHS movies and Sentinels similarity is quite interesting, I’m guessing it’s an Evangelion situation and the children were actually in the same class to “grow them” into pilots or something similar.

I’ll update anything that happens after this with a spoiler tag.

I'm just gonna kick back and enjoy watching first-timers sharing their impressions as they go in this thread. I predict a lot of GIFs like this along the way:

tumblr_p4zlyuGerW1vaes3ko1_400.gifv
giphy.gif

Also, I'm incredibly jealous of anyone playing this for the first time now. It's one of those games where the first time through can never be replicated.

Great OT :)

I'll be picking this up this weekend but won't play it right away. Vanillaware makes beautiful games and I hope they keep going onto PS5 and whatever is next for Switch.

Been putting in 4 hours today and damn, this game is perfect for Switch. Not only a glorious port, but the portability, along with the sleep mode and quick resume, really gives the game the "a great book you can't put down" feeling. I even brought it on the train today, and also played a bit during lunch break at work, something I usually never do.

Even though the first playthrough is something really special, I still think the game has tremendous replay value. I played it multiple times on PS4, and every time I found new nuances, new details, and understood more and more about this deep and layered plot. So excited to play it again but in what I actually consider an even better way.

I'm excited to dive back into Destruction as well. I've always considered the battles of the game to be somewhat underrated, after getting used to them, I found them highly addictive and satisfying. I usually go with the brain overloads, but this time, I'm gonna pick Kisaragi, Shinonome, Kurabe, Sekigahara, Takamiya and Gouto and reset every BO and stick with them. And play on Intense.

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words about the ST.

Been putting in 4 hours today and damn, this game is perfect for Switch. Not only a glorious port, but the portability, along with the sleep mode and quick resume, really gives the game the "a great book you can't put down" feeling. I even brought it on the train today, and also played a bit during lunch break at work, something I usually never do.

Even though the first playthrough is something really special, I still think the game has tremendous replay value. I played it multiple times on PS4, and every time I found new nuances, new details, and understood more and more about this deep and layered plot. So excited to play it again but in what I actually consider an even better way.

I'm excited to dive back into Destruction as well. I've always considered the battles of the game to be somewhat underrated, after getting used to them, I found them highly addictive and satisfying. I usually go with the brain overloads, but this time, I'm gonna pick Kisaragi, Shinonome, Kurabe, Sekigahara, Takamiya and Gouto and reset every BO and stick with them. And play on Intense.

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words about the ST.

I'm especially curious to see how battles play out this time around, post-sentry nerfs.

Did they nerf the sentries?! :eek:
Yeah. Reviews said that the combat has been re-balanced between the new moves and a nerf to sentries. Sounds like a good thing to me. Battles were trivialized by sentry guns in vanilla 13S, even on Intense difficulty.

Yeah. Reviews said that the combat has been re-balanced between the new moves and a nerf to sentries. Sounds like a good thing to me. Battles were trivialized by sentry guns in vanilla 13S, even on Intense difficulty.

True. Shinonome's Hyper Condenser made her super OP. There's a video of someone playing the final battle with only her.

This is the game that Sakurai gushed about a couple years back, right? What exactly is the appeal of it, besides its story (which I understand is supposed to be amazing or something)? I honestly can’t decide if I want to try it or not. I’m generally not too into games like this with a huge focus on story unless they’re from an established franchises that I’m invested in. In terms of visual novel-like games, all I’ve played so far is the Famicom Detective Club remakes (which I absolutely loved) and half of The Great Ace Attorney (which I’ve generally enjoyed so far, but…it doesn’t come close to FDC to me). I also loved both The World Ends with You games, which I guess you could say have a similar presentation for their story but they’re otherwise action games so that’s probably not a good comparison, lol. I mostly play Nintendo first-party games (and I play pretty much everything from Nintendo, at that), as well as some select third-party games, but something like this would be pretty new to me and I honestly can’t tell if I’d enjoy it or not. So far nothing is really selling me on the game; the art and characters look completely disinteresting to me with how washed out and same-y everything looks (not to say it’s bad, it’s just…not my style), and nothing seems particularly gripping to me? It’s probably the type of game that I wouldn’t prioritize and would maybe pick up on sale months later, but I worry that the physical copies will disappear if I wait too long, so I should probably make a decision sooner…

EDIT: Also, how, uh…heteronormative is it? lol

Last edited:
This is the game that Sakurai gushed about a couple years back, right? What exactly is the appeal of it, besides its story (which I understand is supposed to be amazing or something)? I honestly can’t decide if I want to try it or not. I’m generally not too into games like this with a huge focus on story unless they’re from an established franchises that I’m invested in. In terms of visual novel-like games, all I’ve played so far is the Famicom Detective Club remakes (which I absolutely loved) and half of The Great Ace Attorney (which I’ve generally enjoyed so far, but…it doesn’t come close to FDC to me). I also loved both The World Ends with You games, which I guess you could say have a similar presentation for their story but they’re otherwise action games so that’s probably not a good comparison, lol. I mostly play Nintendo first-party games (and I play pretty much everything from Nintendo, at that), as well as some select third-party games, but something like this would be pretty new to me and I honestly can’t tell if I’d enjoy it or not. So far nothing is really selling me on the game; the art and characters look completely disinteresting to me with how washed out and same-y everything looks (not to say it’s bad, it’s just…not my style), and nothing seems particularly gripping to me? It’s probably the type of game that I wouldn’t prioritize and would maybe pick up on sale months later, but I worry that the physical copies will disappear if I wait too long, so I should probably make a decision sooner…

Based on everything you've said, I think you'll love 13 Sentinels. That's all I'll say since otherwise it's best to go in blind.

Copy has arrived but still deep into Triangle Strategy. Looking forward to getting my mind blown when I play this.

13 Sentinels should be played by a lot of people. I am sad that I won't be able to experience the story again for the first time.

Nice OP! I just got my copy in the mail, so I feel I'm probably only going to be visiting this thread once I'm deep enough.

Should there be any spoiler warnings here?

Booted it up earlier and was really impressed that they included a FULL digital manual in the menus. Like the kind that you'd have gotten with a game 15 years ago still.

Yay it made it in. Though I’m wrapping up VLR so it’s probably going to be a few days before I’m ready to commit to another adventure game

I just started the game and that starting screen gave me chills. The art is fantastic, specially on the OLED. My main issue is deciding between JP or EN voices. I like the english cast but their names, pronunciations and certain topics fit the jp dub.

I just started the game and that starting screen gave me chills. The art is fantastic, specially on the OLED. My main issue is deciding between JP or EN voices. I like the english cast but their names, pronunciations and certain topics fit the jp dub.
That title screen gave me chills as well when I first played it. It was the first sign that I was about to have all of my expectations surpassed by what was to follow.

Go with the JP voice track. It's the best.

First time playing! Heard a lot of praise about this game so I decided to go for it. Only up to the prologue for now. The game is beyond gorgeous with it's presentation. I've been looking for another long jrpg to throw myself into so I can't wait to dig into this!

Based on everything you've said, I think you'll love 13 Sentinels. That's all I'll say since otherwise it's best to go in blind.
I can’t tell if this is actually helpful to me or not, lol, but I suppose I might give the game a shot…

Anyone know if there’s any missable content or other similar things to stress over while playing, though?

I can’t tell if this is actually helpful to me or not, lol, but I suppose I might give the game a shot…

Anyone know if there’s any missable content or other similar things to stress over while playing, though?
Not really, no. It's actually a really easy game to Platinum on PS4 because you end up doing nearly everything on a normal playthrough. There are a few simple optional objectives in battles that unlock minor encyclopedia entries when completed, but there's nothing substantial in the game that can be missed.

I am really digging this game so far. Playing it with Japanese voices.

Yakisoba Pan.

I know it's weird, but the strategy game part is the greatest thing, and I like how the game slowly builds up on it.

Lovely work with the OP! My partner and I are looking forward to digging into it together after catching up on some of our backlog, but honestly it just really feels good being able to support a Vanillaware release again.

I am really digging this game so far. Playing it with Japanese voices.

Yakisoba Pan.

I know it's weird, but the strategy game part is the greatest thing, and I like how the game slowly builds up on it.
I will say, while playing with Japanese voices makes a ton of sense for this game given the location and everything, it has a VERY good dub too. I really enjoyed the voice work on it.

There is a gay couple, which I think is handled pretty well.

I've played the beginning of the first two stories and the game is beautiful even on my original Switch. I also love how it's taking cues from Odin Sphere in how so far the stories are told out of chronological order.

Alright, I finally unlocked the three main modes. Tried a bit of "Destruction" and had a blast. Will definitely explore more of "Remembrance".

I continued playing it on handheld, with zero drawbacks to presentation and performance. In fact, both docked and handheld perform flawless, that it might as well be "Perfect on Switch".

My copy was delivered! Will dive in as soon as I get out of the office.

My copy is in and I’m out of this thread till I play it… which might be in a week or two, I’m a bit burnt out from VLR

My copy is in and I’m out of this thread till I play it… which might be in a week or two, I’m a bit burnt out from VLR

No, post your impressions/thoughts in this thread as you go! I have full faith that everyone in here will use spoiler tags appropriately, if that's what you're worried about.

This is gonna be such an expensive game...........because it makes me want to pick up an OLED Switch at the same time :-/

Back
Top Bottom