• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Ys X: Nordics to launch for PS5, PS4, and Switch on September 28, 2023 in Japan

They showed some new gameplay snippets here a few days ago, but I didn't notice until now due to all of the different events.
We still haven't seen any Switch gameplay and I feel like we most likely won't until the game is out, which tells me it probably won't be a particularly good port :/

No news here since CL have a ton of english sub videos, but if you wanted an official sub of one of the first trailers here you go.

I hope I'll like it as much as YsVIII.

I also loved YSIII Oath in Felgana, YSVII ad YS IV Celceta. But I never even finished YSIX.
I feel similarly. Loved the sense of adventure on VIII but found IX’s city just dull and full of pointless stuff like multiple shops selling every different type of accessory and food etc, and endless dialogue that didn’t go anywhere. It’s the kind of thing where the concept for the game, when I first heard of it, sounded great, but in practice it just didn’t hit that sense of adventure for me, and just felt like reheating city stuff from Trails. Not to mention the stuff carried forward from VIII (base defence) that now just felt utterly arbitrary and mechanics for the sake of mechanics.

I feel similarly. Loved the sense of adventure on VIII but found IX’s city just dull and full of pointless stuff like multiple shops selling every different type of accessory and food etc, and endless dialogue that didn’t go anywhere. It’s the kind of thing where the concept for the game, when I first heard of it, sounded great, but in practice it just didn’t hit that sense of adventure for me, and just felt like reheating city stuff from Trails. Not to mention the stuff carried forward from VIII (base defence) that now just felt utterly arbitrary and mechanics for the sake of mechanics.
Fully agree with you.

I'll never understand the issues people take with IX; I loved both it and VIII for different things, but overall rather equally nonetheless (might even slightly prefer IX). I thought it was great to see Ys IX do something different from VIII. Not everything was a success, but it definitely felt like it was worth it instead of simply making something more similar to VIII again. X does look like it leans more into that direction anyways, so... More gained than lost here in my eyes.

I'll never understand the issues people take with IX; I loved both it and VIII for different things, but overall rather equally nonetheless (might even slightly prefer IX). I thought it was great to see Ys IX do something different from VIII. Not everything was a success, but it definitely felt like it was worth it instead of simply making something more similar to VIII again. X does look like it leans more into that direction anyways, so... More gained than lost here in my eyes.
Agreed. Ys VIII was probably my game of the entirety of last generation and I loved it to pieces, but it also wore out its welcome by the end of hour 70.

I can’t say I really understand the complaints about the dialog in IX as it is a much, much leaner and shorter game that I finished in half the time of VIII. I do sympathize with the drab colors of IX, but I’m of the opinion that it also fits the “darker” story that it went for and it made sense in context.

To each their own though!

Agreed. Ys VIII was probably my game of the entirety of last generation and I loved it to pieces, but it also wore out its welcome by the end of hour 70.

I can’t say I really understand the complaints about the dialog in IX as it is a much, much leaner and shorter game that I finished in half the time of VIII. I do sympathize with the drab colors of IX, but I’m of the opinion that it also fits the “darker” story that it went for and it made sense in context.

To each their own though!
I agree that IX was much shorter. For me it’s that, even given the shorter running time, all the stuff with the city NPCs dragged on, while the adventure elements outside the city were just a couple of grassy areas and all the city and dungeon areas looked samey. So it’s a difference of a ~55 hour game where I enjoyed every minute compared to a ~35 hour one where I felt it dragged a lot and the plights of the dozens of NPCs weren’t particularly compelling for me compared to ‘go fill out your map of this uncharted, prehistoric island full of monsters and treasure!’. I guess it’s that I just didn’t find the collectibles in the city, the backtracking or the nature of the city and it’s inhabitants, or the arcs of the party, very interesting. Which is strange, as the party in Ys VIII (outside Dana) are pretty much just there and go nowhere, and the village is small and functional, but at least that leaves pretty much the whole runtime as action and a small list of side goals, rather than an endless list of mundane Falcom JRPG city stuff with some pretty uninspired dungeon and outdoors areas.

As you say, to each their own though. Ys IX and its gameplay loop sits happily between Ys VIII and Trails, and that’s OK, it’s just not quite to my taste, and there’s always gonna be entries in a series that don’t gel with everyone. Not like I can’t recognise the tons of criticisms of VIII too- the party just felt more like weapon options and all get sidelined for Dana, which felt odd that their arcs were so basic (or non-existent in some cases) for a 55 hour game. Still, looks like X is trying something new again so much to look forward to!

Last edited:

Some music tracks with gameplay. "Heat Hazard" sounds fantastic.

Finally something that actually gets me properly excited about the game, (which is saying something when it's just previous footage now with music playing over it), because that, now that, is some Falcom-sounding, Falcom-looking videogame lol.

On the VIII vs IX discussion I have to say that, as somebody who has yet to play either, I find 10 to be a touch boring setting wise. I don't know how I'll feel about IX once I get to it, but the prison/gothic town ambiance the game has is way more interesting than 10's (or 8's for that matter) coastal towns+wilderness, which is something that almost every other game in the series goes for (and yeah I know there's nuance to it, it's not just "coastal towns+wilderness", but you get the point).

On another note, I'm not personally interested in it (it's either PS5 or Switch 2 for me), but for the people who were worried about the Switch version running poorly, I, honestly, wouldn't be? I mean I'd say there's a decent chance they accounted for it during development looking at the geometry the game is pushing. Their new internal tech makes the overall rendering look nicer than previous Ys titles, but it sure doesn't scream impossible downport or anything. It looks a smidge paired back compared to Kuro as well.

For me, I just found the mystery of the island and what happened to it in Ys 8, Dana's story, and the tragedy of it all to be far more interesting than anything in Ys 9. Combined with a more interesting setting, too. And, IMO, better and more varied music.

That said Ys 9 did some good stuff especially with the movement abilities and combat, so if they can take those good things and put them into a better setting and story I'm definitely excited to see what they come up with.

It seems like decent fun but I don't know who in Falcom thought that this marketing is acceptable. That trailer looks so amateurish and weirdly put together, like a kid experimenting with windows movie maker...

Also why the graphics look worse than YsVIII? Something feels off to me. Also the boat segment look dreary to me

And they were poorer in the last entries. Admittedly, such games are based on material that was originally intended for the PSVita.

Still, they're a case of 'don't judge a book by its cover' , imo.
I'll add to my psprices watch list, maybe try in a sale later :)

I'll be honest - the ship sections don't look all that interesting to me and they seem to be a pretty big part of the game considering how much they are showing of them, which is a bit concerning. The on foot gameplay and combat looks very fun and smooth, though - I was already sold on it from the first extended gameplay showcase so I'm not going to watch too much from this one.

Still worried that they haven't shown anything from the Switch version and am starting to believe they won't show anything at all...
I was hopeful that the fact that this is developed in-house we would get a better port than Ys 9, but I'm starting to lose hope - it doesn't help that the one time we saw the PS4 version of the game it was running terribly, and since then all they've shown is PS5.

Speaking of Switch - I wonder what the third "refined" game will be.
Ys Memoire was announced in December and released in April, Tokyo Xanadu was announced in March and launched in June. Whatever the third game is, is supposed to release before the end of September, so it will have only a month between announcement and release, so I'm assuming it's smaller scale than even the first two (I'm expecting Ys 1+2 since 10 is supposed to take place directly after those).

Edit: lol, I just noticed the top post on this page is from me exactly a month ago and in that one I'm also worrying about the port... I don't want to dampen anyones excitement for the game, so I promise I'm stopping now - from now on I'll only comment about the Switch version when we actually see it.

Last edited:
Combat looks less spammy than previous entries at least, that's good.
You think so? I'm noticing it carries VIII/IX-like arts.
It seems like decent fun but I don't know who in Falcom thought that this marketing is acceptable. That trailer looks so amateurish and weirdly put together, like a kid experimenting with windows movie maker...

Also why the graphics look worse than YsVIII? Something feels off to me. Also the boat segment look dreary to me
Falcom trailers are always like that AFAIK. About the graphics, character models seem improved but everything certainly else resembles those days.

You think so? I'm noticing it carries VIII/IX-like arts.

Falcom trailers are always like that AFAIK. About the graphics, character models seem improved but everything certainly else resembles those days.

I agree about the arts but dodge and specially block are the things that looks less broken / spammy to me.

CLE started Ys X marketing on their own. And they are actually good at that.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing from this game so far. It seems like they're taking the traversal puzzles and quick movement options and powers from Ys 9 and expanding them into a game with a setting and stylings closer to Ys 8, which is perfect for me. Combat looks good, and that music track rules as expected. I just hope it doesn't take them a year or more to get it in English.

The wait for this to release over here will be really hard. x(
I feel NISA will prioritize this over Kuro no Kiseki. But yes, there should be at least 1 year until western release. It IS gonna be a hard wait.

At least they localize Oath in Felghana remaster in the meantime. The game is different enough for a new translation. NISA's next slew of announcements shouldn't be far away.

I haven't played a Ys game before but I'm keeping my eye on this one. I really like the combat animations they have shown so far!

I feel NISA will prioritize this over Kuro no Kiseki. But yes, there should be at least 1 year until western release. It IS gonna be a hard wait.

At least they localize Oath in Felghana remaster in the meantime. The game is different enough for a new translation. NISA's next slew of announcements shouldn't be far away.
Is a localization of the remaster already announced, or do you mean they could localize it in the meantime?

I saw this on my timeline and in the first 5 secs there is someone playing Ys X with what looks like a pro controller. The quick transition does not help in seeing out it runs lol.

Welp... In the 3 seconds we get from the Switch version you can see that the boss is animated at like 10fps... :/
I feel like a fool for having had hope in Falcom actually caring about the Switch.

I saw this on my timeline and in the first 5 secs there is someone playing Ys X with what looks like a pro controller. The quick transition does not help in seeing out it runs lol.

Welp... In the 3 seconds we get from the Switch version you can see that the boss is animated at like 10fps... :/
I feel like a fool for having had hope in Falcom actually caring about the Switch.
What timestamp for Switch footage??

Also don't forget Falcom released Ys 9 running almost as bad as a Pokemon title from Game Freak on base PS4 when it was only released there + PS4 Pro.

What timestamp for Switch footage??

Also don't forget Falcom released Ys 9 running almost as bad as a Pokemon title from Game Freak on base PS4 when it was only released there + PS4 Pro.
At the very beginning of the video SirArthur posted, the guy is using Switch pro controller and you can see the screen for a split second.

From @Oregano on InstallBase:

Speaking of Switch versions of games here's why you should take the idea of Switch being the lead platform for Ys with a grain of salt.

Translated via Deepl
In addition, since I switched to playing on Switch for the second half of the game, I could obviously feel the huge difference in experience between the Switch version and the PS5 version: the PS5 version runs at a steady 60FPS in 4K resolution throughout the entire game, while the Switch version is running at a resolution below 1080p, and the frame rate fluctuates dramatically depending on the situation of the level. The first part of the game is roughly 30FPS, but lags when there are too many enemies or special effects. The lag is at its peak when playing the title sequence, and it's estimated that it will fall to about 15FPS, which is a bit of a discount to the game's "high-speed action" experience.

Cloud Leopard Entertainment said that the Switch version will be further optimized for performance before launch, so we'll probably have to wait and see how it performs.

It's a shame that the event was so limited in time that we didn't get to experience the brand new sailing section.

Back
Top Bottom