• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Ys X: Nordics to launch for PS5, PS4, and Switch on September 28, 2023 in Japan

SirArthur

Kremling
Pronouns
He/Him

3 more Switch games for next fiscal. The other two will be announced later. My guess Kuro 1 and 2. Lets gooo.

Interested in seeing
a) if this'll be Switch first, PS second (in terms of development, i.e. Switch as the lead platform there)
b) what these other two Falcom games for Switch are, which Gematsu mentions

Finally, Falcom has seen the light. My guess is Kuro 1 and 2 as well. Just hoping they get them running at an acceptable frame rate.

If they're going about this right, it should be a Switch game as the lead platform and scaled up to the PS4.

PS5 will be the PS4 one but with 4K all day.

I mean let's hope that targeting the Switch at launch means this'll run better than whatever was going on with Ys 9

I'm possibly one of the least affected by framerate people you'll find on a dedicated gaming forum, and that was rough. Still a great game though and I 100% down for the next Ys

Logic dictates that they would develop it for Switch as the lead platform, but somehow I doubt that's the case.

Also, very interesting how when Playstation was doing well in Japan, Falcom didn't have the resources to develop games for multiple systems, but now that Switch is dominating they magically can release multiplatform games simultaneously 🤔

It's about time! This should really help Falcom with domestic sales. I'm guessing the other releases next year are Kuro 1 and 2 as well, so that 3 can be day and date.

Didn't Ys IX run like crap on PS4, too? Or at least it did at launch?

Falcom should use Switch as the lead platform, but there's zero guarantee they do and there's zero guarantee that results in a technically strong game.

Didn't Ys IX run like crap on PS4, too? Or at least it did at launch?

Falcom should use Switch as the lead platform, but there's zero guarantee they do and there's zero guarantee that results in a technically strong game.

Yes, Ys IX drops to the 20s FPS wise on PS4 and it didn't hold 60fps on PS5 even. It's a mess of a game performance wise.

Personally, I hope this is not Ys X yet, but rather a remake of Ys V: Lost Kefin, Land of Sand.

For one, this is the only Ys game not available on modern platforms (both it and the "Expert" release are only available on SNES), and for two if you've played Ys IX to completion, you'll know that events transpiring in Ys V are of high relevance to the plot, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they tackled this next (especially also since there hasn't been an Ys remake in a while).

And yeah, the other two are going to be Kuro. Personally, I hope they do re-releases of Ghagarv at some point though.

there's zero guarantee that results in a technically strong game.
Which I still have to wonder about, as I found they're Vita games to be quite good in that regard. Nothing outstanding, but really solid all around, I'd say. Ever since making PS4 their main dev platform though, their tech has been a mess.

Please, just please release all the previous entries in the series (for both Kiseki and Ys) on the Switch, and remake Ys V already. I need to have them all playable on a portable, I don't think I can do it on a big screen that often.

Its's just a shame they can't figure out how to get Trials of Cold Steel 1&2 on the Switch in the west - as soon as that happens I'm going to binge the whole series. I loved Ys VIII and IX on Switch - Ys IX was a technical mess but still a very fun game. I'll be day 1 on Ys 10.

Interested in seeing
a) if this'll be Switch first, PS second (in terms of development, i.e. Switch as the lead platform there)
a) I doubt it.
b) Probably ports of Kuro and Kuro II.

Personally, I hope this is not Ys X yet, but rather a remake of Ys V: Lost Kefin, Land of Sand.

For one, this is the only Ys game not available on modern platforms (both it and the "Expert" release are only available on SNES), and for two if you've played Ys IX to completion, you'll know that events transpiring in Ys V are of high relevance to the plot, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they tackled this next (especially also since there hasn't been an Ys remake in a while).

And yeah, the other two are going to be Kuro. Personally, I hope they do re-releases of Ghagarv at some point though.
I’m pretty sure they’ve already said it’s not V

Interested in seeing
Ys IX was already designed for PS4. If there were no new developments I could imagine them stepping back (as happened from DQ VIII to IX), but Switch is getting pretty on by now. By the this game drops the next hardware might be out there. Keeping a similar target as Ys IX would probably work best for making something acceptable on Switch/PS4/Drake/PS5/PC.

Last edited:
Ys is a series that changed from "never heard of it" to "one of my favorites" very rapidly, good to hear the next one isn't that far away! They have a certain comfiness that I can really appreciate. Played the last one on the Deck which really suited the game well.

We know without a doubt that Ys X is not a remake of Kefin. Falcon’s president has stated that they have no plans for a V remake anytime soon.

Going to echo those hoping it runs better than Ys IX. Man that was a rough game.

"Yet another game "held back" by Switch"
Ys would actually benefit from being held back by the PS2, let alone the Switch. Felghana and Origin are still the pinnacle of the series, gameplay-wise.

Jokes aside, hopefully X steps away from the party system and focuses on making Adol more fun to play.

Last edited:
Sounds good, looking forward to it! I didn’t think Ys IX landed the formula from VIII that well, the whole thing just felt messy to me and the city leaned closer towards Trails than Ys for me. I’m still really interested in the series as a whole though, can’t wait to see where Adol washes up next.

While a relatively minor point, Kondo stated in an interview with the Chinese outlet 4gamers that Ys X was initially meant to launch in 2022 for the franchise’s 35th anniversary. However, various considerations had to be taken into account, thereby preventing such a reality from occurring.

This is pure speculation, but this makes me think the game was originally PlayStation exclusive, but when they saw the terrible sales in Japan they decided to make a Switch version. If this is the case then just as we speculated earlier in the thread, the game most likely isn't built with Switch in mind and is instead ported from PS4, which means that it probably won't run and/or look all that great on Switch 😟 (It will probably be significantly better than IX, but I'm not holding my breath for a competent port coming from Falcom)

This is pure speculation, but this makes me think the game was originally PlayStation exclusive, but when they saw the terrible sales in Japan they decided to make a Switch version. If this is the case then just as we speculated earlier in the thread, the game most likely isn't built with Switch in mind and is instead ported from PS4, which means that it probably won't run and/or look all that great on Switch 😟 (It will probably be significantly better than IX, but I'm not holding my breath for a competent port coming from Falcom)

It was always going to be developed primarily for PS4/PS5. Interesting tidbit though.

From what we know, its on their new engine, the one used in Kuro, and that game has been in testing for the switch.

Consider that they have brought switch dev in-house and so far their first game Nayuta, which is coming next year to the west, is a fantastic port from people who have played it. At the very least, it wont be the spaghetti-taped code used in Ys 9, which was outsourced.

From what we know, its on their new engine, the one used in Kuro, and that game has been in testing for the switch.

Consider that they have brought switch dev in-house and so far their first game Nayuta, which is coming next year to the west, is a fantastic port from people who have played it. At the very least, it wont be the spaghetti-taped code used in Ys 9, which was outsourced.
Honestly, with Falcom it can go either way. Compare Trails of Zero PS4 which was done inhouse versus the Switch/Steam versions which were outsourced.

Ys IX ran like shit on PS4 too so the fault there almost certainly rests on Falcom.

From the article-
Kondo remarked that future Ys game releases will not be text-heavy, unlike the Trails series, as they’d prefer Ys to have a “nice, quick tempo.”
After IX I’m so happy to read this. Arcadey action rpg rather than endless NPCs please.

Ys had been more and more resembling Trails with each entry so Falcom deciding to go the opposite direction with X is definitely good news. No doubt part of the reason is Kuro's more hybrid battle system.

Hopefully they can try with Xanadu again at some point too.

Honestly, with Falcom it can go either way. Compare Trails of Zero PS4 which was done inhouse versus the Switch/Steam versions which were outsourced.

Ys IX ran like shit on PS4 too so the fault there almost certainly rests on Falcom.
Oh totally. Zeros work was fantastic. I dont blame them for the Ps4 version since it was done ages ago. I don't know what they were thinking with Y IX lol

News dropping soon

Box art looks nice

Is that a mother freakin' hoverboard

The UI is interesting, as is the change in art style. Seems like they're deviating a bit from the 8/9 format but remains to be seen what else this brings to the table. Down in any case though, 8 and 9 are some of my favorite JRPGs

I just finished Kuro no Kiseki, which uses Falcom's new engine that they made and it's a drastic improvement over Ys 8/9/Cold Steel 4/Hajimari. It's an incredible realization of their art style and I would assume this game will also use that engine.

In any case Falcom is my favorite developer so I'm all in.

Is that a mother freakin' hoverboard

The UI is interesting, as is the change in art style. Seems like they're deviating a bit from the 8/9 format but remains to be seen what else this brings to the table. Down in any case though, 8 and 9 are some of my favorite JRPGs
Same. I would love a game that takes all the great stuff that 8 did and adds in some of the exploration abilities that 9 had, plus some new things for 10 of course. I hope they don't go away from the 8/9 style TOO much, as I loved both but especially 8 is a really special game.

News dropping soon

Box art looks nice

Yes, that's the news I've been waiting for. And yeah, that hoverboard looks sick. I'm just a tiny bit worried about performance on Switch, but waiting for trailers to decide on the platform.

Also glad that Falcom chose an art style that looks more like Ys VIII than IX.

Edit: updated the thread title, if you don't mind.

Japan release of The Oath in Felghana is going to be spring. The other Switch ports will be announced later.

Yes VIII's art is fantastic.

Thank you for the update, forgot to do that.
Btw, do we need a separate thread for The Oath in Felghana or will this be the one for both games? If so, we need to add the announcement to the title here.

Wonder if we will even get Oath in Felghana here or if Xseed will block it.
XSeed doesn't block ports, they just don't deal with other licensees (so they won't bring over Clouded Leopard Entertainment versions of games). Since this is being ported by Falcom I think XSeed will localize it.

Btw, do we need a separate thread for The Oath in Felghana or will this be the one for both games? If so, we need to add the announcement to the title here.
Sure I can make a new thread. That way when official info comes out we have a clearer picture.

Back
Top Bottom