• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic YAKUZA / LIKE A DRAGON COMMUNITY |ST| A FAMIBOARDS CLAN SUBSIDIARY

Was obviously going to be my GOTY (and likely, favourite of all time at that) from the previews alone, but I am glad the series is finally getting the mainstream recognition it deserves. So hyped for Friday

Releasing on a public holiday in Australia is a GOOD move, and mitigates the shitty cultural connotations of the day. Sega is a real one.

Ready to hurt myself again for a 13th series platinum trophy. This one looks to be much less brutal.

Such high scores! Hope it sells really well too, so Ryu ga Gotoku Studios can continue getting all the funding they want from Sega.

still don't have my key almost a half hour after the game came out preordering this from humble a couple days ago

last time I buy any new games from them even if it was 5 bucks cheaper than anywhere else

edit: still don't have it 2 and a half hours after it came out, i'd ask for a refund and buy it somewhere else at this point but there's a couple preorder exclusive jobs and it would be a bummer to lose out on them because of this

Last edited:
I haven't played "The man who erased his name" yet so I'll hold off and buy on first pin store discount.
The keeping classes only for pre-orders means they can get fucked for a day one buy.

Played for a bit.

What a weird game so far. Just Yakuza 7-2. Possibly the most casual start to one of these games yet, with a lot of emphasis on dating and normal life. It's not unenjoyable, but I do feel like some scenes go on a bit too long.

New battle mechanics are amazing, and I enjoy that the drama so far centers around a
Vtuber

I'm not sure what to think. It's good, just so... different. Clearly it's about to begin but after 2 hours I'm a little tired. Haven't even completed chapter 1 yet but guessing I'm real close.

Cool that some stuff I knew from the trailer was reshuffled and redubbed in order to conceal some of the plot points.

This is probably the worst starting point for the series. Like, I can imagine streamers being sucked in because it's getting good reviews expecting a crime drama and then after the initial tone-setter cold open it's 2 hours of sitcom dumbasses.

Can echo those sentiments. Chapter 1 takes a while to get going, and is plenty willing to take its time.

I love it, personally. Does a great job of setting the stage before the rug is pulled under Ichiban. And the character moments are as brilliant as ever.

Does LaD8 cost $70 USD? When I put it on my wishlist it's $90 (the equivalent Canadian cost) but I don't know if that's just for preorders (there's some exclusive perks for preordering right?) or regular MSRP.

Does LaD8 cost $70 USD? When I put it on my wishlist it's $90 (the equivalent Canadian cost) but I don't know if that's just for preorders (there's some exclusive perks for preordering right?) or regular MSRP.
Yeah it’s a $70 USD/$90 CAD game. Gotta pay for Danny Trejo and Daniel Dae Kim somehow!

The quality of the story still remains to be seen given how early in into the game, but the pacing is definitely a bit off. First chapter is very slow (which I love) but the open hours in Hawaii move incredibly quickly (which I don’t love) only to then slow to a crawl. Kinda weird.

Everything else is incredible though. The combat is a massive step forward from 7, and I’ve barely even scratched the surface since I don’t have job switching or Tag Team attacks yet. And the wealth of side content is staggering, and this is just Hawaii! And I haven’t even gotten to Dondoko Island yet!

The writing is really goddamn funny too, the Sujimon League had me cracking up. Palworld can take a seat, this is how you parody Pokémon.

I'm enjoying the low-stakes, kind of erratic pacing so far, but I can definitely see how it would be offputting to less patient people or new players (which, for all the hubbub about how you can totally start here, this game really builds on 7 in a way no other Yakuza sequel has before) The only thing that really made me raise an eyebrow so far...

You don't need an unhinged, convoluted explanation for that. Like, people just get cancer, especially people in their mid-50s who smoke and drink a lot. Kinda takes away from the "Legend defeated by his own body" thing if it involves evil nuclear waste particles.

And yeah, the tweaks to the combat are seemingly tiny by themselves but they do a lot of heavy lifting. It feels great to find the best angle for AoE or follow-up attacks. The new setting really helps freshen up the formula, too. All the little details everywhere are a delight, and the Sega Blue Skies vistas are just lovely.

I am actually pretty surprised that Sega has put out a 'story so far' for IW. Seems like a perfect time to do it with the Steam numbers really climbing for this game.

Can echo those sentiments. Chapter 1 takes a while to get going, and is plenty willing to take its time.

I love it, personally. Does a great job of setting the stage before the rug is pulled under Ichiban. And the character moments are as brilliant as ever.
Oh no, I liked what I saw (although maybe they could've just went with picking date spot and clothes, without "how to meet a girl" scene), but I do wonder what it means for the story, and whether it was just the beginning of tide turning or if it means something else, considering I'm gonna guess Saeko is in the party later

Played up to chapter 3 and while the game is great, especially when getting to Hawaii, its pacing is possibly the worst out of any Yakuza game so far. We can argue about 3's slow start, but it still had gameplay, sidestories, and new mini-games.
I've put 5 hours into IW, and maybe half an hour of it is a bit of running around wasting time, but it feels like non-stop cutscenes intersperced with a battle or two. Sure, there are a few points where you can walk around, but there's effectively nothing on the map but arcades and cafes. By this time in 7 you would probably already have unlocked theater and poundmates. I feel like I am finally at the point where I can be free and I can't play any more today.

That said, none of the cutscenes feel superfluous other than maybe one of three date preparation ones (take your pick here), and once you get to Hawaii they're some of the best the series has to offer. Guy who's voiced by DIO in particular is a fucking great character that's better than many of the series' actual final bosses. Eiji is a wonderful character, too.

Really hope I'm out of cutscene hell now that I saw the cutscene featured in the first trailer. Not sure how replayable this game will be due to this frontload of info.

I'm also guessing they took out the 8 out of US title because they wanted it to feel self-contained so that players wouldn't be afraid to jump in but it looks like it might be the worst Yakuza to start with! It's very much Like a Dragon: Part 2. I don't think the series ever had so many returning characters and yakuza groups in its story from one game to the next.

didn't get my key till this morning thanks to that whole humble mess so only just starting chapter 1 now but it's crazy how much higher budget this feels

Played up to chapter 3 and while the game is great, especially when getting to Hawaii, its pacing is possibly the worst out of any Yakuza game so far. We can argue about 3's slow start, but it still had gameplay, sidestories, and new mini-games.
I've put 5 hours into IW, and maybe half an hour of it is a bit of running around wasting time, but it feels like non-stop cutscenes intersperced with a battle or two. Sure, there are a few points where you can walk around, but there's effectively nothing on the map but arcades and cafes. By this time in 7 you would probably already have unlocked theater and poundmates. I feel like I am finally at the point where I can be free and I can't play any more today.

That said, none of the cutscenes feel superfluous other than maybe one of three date preparation ones (take your pick here), and once you get to Hawaii they're some of the best the series has to offer. Guy who's voiced by DIO in particular is a fucking great character that's better than many of the series' actual final bosses. Eiji is a wonderful character, too.

Really hope I'm out of cutscene hell now that I saw the cutscene featured in the first trailer. Not sure how replayable this game will be due to this frontload of info.

I'm also guessing they took out the 8 out of US title because they wanted it to feel self-contained so that players wouldn't be afraid to jump in but it looks like it might be the worst Yakuza to start with! It's very much Like a Dragon: Part 2. I don't think the series ever had so many returning characters and yakuza groups in its story from one game to the next.

yeah i'm a couple hours in now and honestly it's been fine but I feel like it might be a bit of a tough sell for me to sit through all these cutscenes if I wasn't already familiar with the characters from playing the first Like a Dragon

I don’t know why, but so far it’s the total opposite for me. I love Yakuza, but I usually have trouble sitting down through the first 2/3 hours of each game (because it’s a pretty slow pace and it’s complicated with my ADHD), but for this one I grabbed a bag of Doritos and a bottle of water and sat down at like 5PM and the game instantly hooked me to the point where I played non-stop until midnight.

So far I really really love the story and all the character moments, it was so sweet to see the gang reunited at the beginning. I also really like thd little changes they did at the combat system and the two mini-games I've played so far. Really hoping the rest of the game is this strong.

this series is never on the top of my mind if someone asked me to name my favorite game franchises(hell i've never even played the majority of them since I don't really care for the brawler combat most of them have) but I never fail to really enjoy myself whenever I boot one of these up

maybe one of these days I should admit to myself that if something is that consistently enjoyable then maybe that's actually a pretty good argument that it just might be my favorite game series

They’re pretty sparse, but the major boss fights in this game are awesome. They feel so much more alive than 7’s, lots of cool set pieces. Game’s a bit more challenging in general, which is awesome.

If I had to levy one complaint though, it’s the job restrictions. They’re really high this time around, which makes it a pain to unlock any. I’ve only got three so far, and I’m pretty sure 7 had like 5+ unlocked from the get-go. Definitely hampers the customizability of the combat early on, which stinks since the new skill inheritance system is so good.

Last edited:
The substories in this game are some of the funniest, but also some of the most heartfelt. How do they keep coming up with this stuff…

Up to chapter 5 and understand some of the pacing criticisms, however every beat of the story has me engaged. Even my short attention span is hooked.

Got to the part where the game opens up.
Some really cool little activities seem to be pretty much everywhere. The guy voiced by Takihito Koyasu keeps being like the best villain in the series for a dude who's likely not even one of three main bad guys.

Just got to Hawaii...still feels surreal as main location for a RGG game, but i love it so much.

The moment in chapter 2

at the beach, sunset, when Ichiban has to jump into the sea to retrieve the scarf for that lady

it's honestly a very small and insignificant moment, but i was like...woah

played through the first 4 chapters so far and at this point I feel like when it's all said and done this game will end up being pretty easily my favorite in the series(that i've played anyways)

and honestly I liked the other two i've played(0 and 7) quite a bit so that's really saying something

maybe i'm just biased because I never clicked with Nanba but I kinda feel like this Tomizawa guy is just....a better version of what they were going for there

it feels like they're sorta going for the same character vibes except it feels like it's already resonating more in a couple chapters than Nanba did in a full game

just me?

maybe i'm just biased because I never clicked with Nanba but I kinda feel like this Tomizawa guy is just....a better version of what they were going for there

it feels like they're sorta going for the same character vibes except it feels like it's already resonating more in a couple chapters than Nanba did in a full game

just me?
Don’t think they’re all that similar beyond being pessimists that go through a character arc. Nanba had his shit together a lot more than Tomizawa, but had pretty much nothing going for him in terms of friendship and trust, something that Ichiban helps him establish. Tomizawa comes by those things a lot easier, but his personal life and motivations are a complete mess, and Ichiban helps set him on track and give him a purpose again in life.

They’re both very strong characters for different reasons, IMO.

Closing in on ten hours played…

Initial thoughts:

• Game is a bit more slice of live at the beginning… I kind of like it? Ichiban having a normal life is something I’m rooting for. He shouldn’t have done “that” though. Oof, my guy, you went in too hard.
  • aaaaand it turns to shit within two hours, so I’m interested what the endgame is for the baddies.
  • Battlesystem feels more alive than in LAD. Pretty snappy too. I’m enjoying the random battles a lot.
  • Hawaï as a new location really makes the game fresh. Its great.
  • There. Are. So. Many. activities. I love it.
  • Man, I guess I know which system the LAD dev team played a lot with when in quarantine. I know an Animal Crossing like game is coming, but the Sicko minigame is Pokémon Snap. And I love it haha.

Oh and when I Kiryu joined the party, first thing I do is sing Baka Mitai at karaoke. I’m a simple man.

Closing in on ten hours played…

Initial thoughts:

• Game is a bit more slice of live at the beginning… I kind of like it? Ichiban having a normal life is something I’m rooting for. He shouldn’t have done “that” though. Oof, my guy, you went in too hard.
  • aaaaand it turns to shit within two hours, so I’m interested what the endgame is for the baddies.
  • Battlesystem feels more alive than in LAD. Pretty snappy too. I’m enjoying the random battles a lot.
  • Hawaï as a new location really makes the game fresh. Its great.
  • There. Are. So. Many. activities. I love it.
  • Man, I guess I know which system the LAD dev team played a lot with when in quarantine. I know an Animal Crossing like game is coming, but the Sicko minigame is Pokémon Snap. And I love it haha.

Oh and when I Kiryu joined the party, first thing I do is sing Baka Mitai at karaoke. I’m a simple man.

I like how the game keeps straight up telling me to go to the bar for the next story beat whenever I unlock a new party member when I was gonna do that for karaoke anyways

Haha, if we ever get a new RGG interview explaining why LAD will not hit Nintendo systems, I hope journalists will ask “okay, but apparantly you like their games so much, you put them in your games as well. I’m pretty sure Nintendo fans will appreciate the sillier parodies like Sujimon battle league, Sicko Snap and more”

RGG: fuck, how am I going to respond to this?!?!

Haha, if we ever get a new RGG interview explaining why LAD will not hit Nintendo systems, I hope journalists will ask “okay, but apparantly you like their games so much, you put them in your games as well. I’m pretty sure Nintendo fans will appreciate the sillier parodies like Sujimon battle league, Sicko Snap and more”

RGG: fuck, how am I going to respond to this?!?!
Its too underground, duh.

Literally. The Sujimon League is underground. Can’t have that on Nintendo.

Clocked 45 hours on this game over a four-day weekend...it's so addictive. I feel like i'll be done with most of the story/side content in 60-70 hours or so...the vast wealth of side content is less overwhelming than it initially looks, but it's all quality stuff.

+1 to Sadist's comments about LAD not being on Nintendo systems, especially when this game has built-in Pokemon, Pokemon Snap, and Animal Crossing inspired mini-games. Aside from certain adult themes, these games should appeal to most Nintendo fans.

The ongoing debate about preferred play order of the series is due for a shake-up. I was always a staunch supporter of playing everything in numerical order from Yakuza 0 onwards (including the amazing Judgment games before and after LAD respectively), but after playing Infinite Wealth, i've changed my tune.

These games are such immense evolutions of the series formula that I would now recommend newcomers start with LAD/IW or J/LJ, and play Y0-6/G only if they want to relish the series legacy and the story of Kazuma Kiryu. Of course you will get more out of the later games knowing the history of these characters, but it's absolutely non-essential if you just want to dip your toes into the franchise.

Seonhee is such a cool addition to the party. Her being super competent and insightful while fangirling about Kiryu is a fantastic dynamic and they really mine the humour out of that. Pretty good in combat too!

Chapter 8 in general has been particularly great. I was definitely one of those who weren't crazy about the premise of the announcement but this is no cheap attempt at fanservice. The way they explore facing your mortality is quite well done.

I kept Kiwami 2 installed even after getting the Platinum trophy last Summer because it bothered me that I couldn't beat the final extra mission in Clan Creator. I didn't want it taking up space on my PS5 anymore, so I finally decided to attempt it again. After numerous adjustments to my team and a few tries, I finally beat it today! I didn't even know until recently that there were skills that could repair equipment, and I don't think I could've beaten this without it. Now I can finally uninstall lol

1 million copies sold in a week. Not bad at all for the series, although we’ll see if it has the legs the beat the lifetime sales of LaD (currently sitting at 1.8 million iirc).

Unlocked Dondoko and really appreciate how tutorial makes you do the funniest thing and asks you to place a squat toilet in the middle of an open field

Just finished substory 24 and, damn, only this series can

make me cry all the tears in my body with a substory involving adults wearing diapers

Just finished substory 24 and, damn, only this series can

make me cry all the tears in my body with a substory involving adults wearing diapers
Gotta say that several sub stories are hitting me hard.

The one with the kid selling lemonade and the conclusion was bittersweet too, with Ichiban offering emotional support

This game seems a bit lacking in substories. There is a LOT to do, but looking at overall number there are only 52 and maybe half of them are just openers for new minigames.
The amount of side activities is staggering but I wish there were more side-stories that were actual stories, as those are still mostly top notch.

That said, it seems much like in Yakuza 7 you can flirt with some secondary lady characters and unless I lucked out into the worst ones hoo boy those are some disgusting quests. I actually really liked one of those characters, and upon getting them to max bond they had effectively the same joke of assaulting Ichiban.

I believe in 7 it was implied to just be sex, but here it's outright rapey. Even if it's just along the lines of "ha ha woman owerpowers man and smooches him" it's still harassment and so far from my 40 hour playthrough the only thing I wish wasn't in it. This is like on Persona level of problematic crap, and unlike some problematic things in Yakuza it's just not funny at all. At least something like the pizza sidequest from 0 was so insane that it didn't really matter that its message was awful - it played with expectations for humor's sake and succeeded. Here it's just "oh it's this joke".

That said, that was a lot of words about something I didn't enjoy so I should probably balance it out and say that the story so far is one of my favorites. The series finally moved out from Big Conspiracies into more character-focused stories, so even if I am at chapter 7 and nobody knows what's happening it doesn't really matter because the conspiracy is easily understood and the plot moves thanks to its characters, which are all fantastic. I feel like the secondary casts of those games, especially of PS3 era were mostly just there to move the bulky plot, but here it really feels like the approach is the opposite and much care was given to every weirdo you encounter. Three big bads of Hawaii so far might not have had a lot of time, but I can easily name them, remember how they look and tell you what sets them apart, which I can't do for some Final Bosses of those games!

Again, special mention to Yamai. After a few early games have tried to repeat Majima's success, Like a Dragon titles actually did, first with Zhao (to a lesser degree) and now with this asshole who is endlessly charming and just all around weird after a certain point.

That said, it seems much like in Yakuza 7 you can flirt with some secondary lady characters and unless I lucked out into the worst ones hoo boy those are some disgusting quests. I actually really liked one of those characters, and upon getting them to max bond they had effectively the same joke of assaulting Ichiban.
If you’re talking about Miss Match, I agree that it’s not really funny. I don’t think they assault him in the end because I assume Ichiban would know how to defend himself but still it’s a bit icky to laugh about that. I honestly would’ve preferred them to just make a kinda funny sexy mini game like the chat one from Yakuza 6.

This game seems a bit lacking in substories. There is a LOT to do, but looking at overall number there are only 52 and maybe half of them are just openers for new minigames.
The amount of side activities is staggering but I wish there were more side-stories that were actual stories, as those are still mostly top notch.

I believe in 7 it was implied to just be sex, but here it's outright rapey. Even if it's just along the lines of "ha ha woman owerpowers man and smooches him" it's still harassment and so far from my 40 hour playthrough the only thing I wish wasn't in it. This is like on Persona level of problematic crap, and unlike some problematic things in Yakuza it's just not funny at all. At least something like the pizza sidequest from 0 was so insane that it didn't really matter that its message was awful - it played with expectations for humor's sake and succeeded. Here it's just "oh it's this joke".

That said, that was a lot of words about something I didn't enjoy so I should probably balance it out and say that the story so far is one of my favorites. The series finally moved out from Big Conspiracies into more character-focused stories, so even if I am at chapter 7 and nobody knows what's happening it doesn't really matter because the conspiracy is easily understood and the plot moves thanks to its characters, which are all fantastic. I feel like the secondary casts of those games, especially of PS3 era were mostly just there to move the bulky plot, but here it really feels like the approach is the opposite and much care was given to every weirdo you encounter. Three big bads of Hawaii so far might not have had a lot of time, but I can easily name them, remember how they look and tell you what sets them apart, which I can't do for some Final Bosses of those games!

Again, special mention to Yamai. After a few early games have tried to repeat Majima's success, Like a Dragon titles actually did, first with Zhao (to a lesser degree) and now with this asshole who is endlessly charming and just all around weird after a certain point.
I did a rough count on the substories, and it seems that there’s around 4-5 more that are tied to side stories, minigames, or anything somewhat related to that. Give or take a couple, depending on how you define those (I.E. I counted things like the Pawn Shop substory from 7 and the Segway substory from 8). A lot more side content unlocks in chapter 8 though, and a good chunk of it is just substories under a different name, so don’t worry too much on that front.

Can’t say I really agree on the narrative though; the more I reflect on chapters 2-7, the more ambivalent I am on them. Feels like everything beyond the side characters is less interesting and not as well thought out as 7, and even then Tomi and Chitose carry the early Hawaii chapters pretty hard. The lack of any forward momentum in the story hurts it pretty badly.

The antagonists are a lot more charismatic this time around, which is nice, but they don’t make up for how underdeveloped the main factions are. The Ijin Three run circles around the main groups in Hawaii.

If you’re talking about Miss Match, I agree that it’s not really funny. I don’t think they assault him in the end because I assume Ichiban would know how to defend himself but still it’s a bit icky to laugh about that. I honestly would’ve preferred them to just make a kinda funny sexy mini game like the chat one from Yakuza 6.
Don’t think they’re referring to Miss Match, but rather the female characters you can give gifts too in important facilities (the Alo-Happy owner, the Ounabara receptionist, etc.). Seems that whole shtick was copy pasted into 8, but done even worse this time around, which is unfortunate.

Man chapter 8 has me fucked up, best one in the game so far.

Perfectly timed too because I agree that the narrative was starting to drag some.

No, I'm talking about Liz and Chitose Buster Holmes, which is unfortunate because I like Chitose. And sure, it can be anything, but much like that one scene from Mother 3 it's pretty obvious what the intent was.
Can’t say I really agree on the narrative though; the more I reflect on chapters 2-7, the more ambivalent I am on them. Feels like everything beyond the side characters is less interesting and not as well thought out as 7, and even then Tomi and Chitose carry the early Hawaii chapters pretty hard. The lack of any forward momentum in the story hurts it pretty badly.

The antagonists are a lot more charismatic this time around, which is nice, but they don’t make up for how underdeveloped the main factions are. The Ijin Three run circles around the main groups in Hawaii.
I agree. When talking about how modern Yakuza games blow older ones out of the water with their stories I mostly mean 3-5 which were really into the most incomprehensible plans and tons of side characters that weren't memorable. If I didn't rewatch Tehsnakerer's essays before playing 8 I wouldn't be able to name some final bosses from 4 and the final guy from 5.
I do think 7, at least so far, had a better story. Ichiban and crew were more proactive and had things accomplished even if they weren't getting close to the main mystery, and the cherry on top with the story being super pro sex-work and immigration warms my heart. 8 is a little worse, and indeed, Dwight, for example, is barely a character, but again, I have to commend them on making a person that so far appeared in one scene way more memorable than some big bads from PS3 era games.
8 is a bit aimless, but I don't mind it because I am enjoying the crew so much (even if I'm not sure how to feel about Chitose). Tomizawa is a rare straight man in those games who was completely unprepared for what's coming, which is an archetype I'm surprised we didn't see in 7.

Got to chapter 8 and damn, what a weird fucking game this is.

While I'm still not sure we needed 1.5 hours of date stuff in chapter 1, it definitely is a good tone setter, because I'd assume I've gotten through more than half of this chapter and it's basically all about interpersonal relationships.

I don't think I've been so melancholic ever playing one of these games, but even when the text on screen is like "Yum! I love me some Staminan X!" or if Kiryu's big memory is "damn i love throwing dudes off of bridges", Bucket List serves as a constant reminder of his situation.

This whole thing is done so well I'm honestly not sure if I'd prefer Kiryu to die or not. On one hand, please, let the old man rest, but on the other the game seems to really go towards that conclusion and I'm afraid that any asspull will cheapen the drama.

It's fucked up seeing him interact with people so earnestly in party talks and even in regular cutscenes.

Really stressed out about whether he'll die or not, but at this point even if his eyes get gouged out in cutscene he'll probably come back as a bartender in Yakuza 10: Mission to Russia or some such

Me playing Infinite wealth;

‘Oh man I really need to play more of the story: however the sidequests are too fun.’

Sometime later…

Day 41 of Dondoko Island

And completed it. Massive funds gain

I’ve wrapped up most of the Hawaii content, bar Dondoko Island. One more Sujimon gym left, the final floor of the Hawaiian Haunt, and the stupid romance sidequests. Guess I could try to perfect some of the smaller minigames like Sicko Snap or Crazy Delivery, but I’m kinda ready to move on by now.

Still got the finale to go, but I’m mostly spoiled on what happens regardless. Still want to see the ending for myself first, but I’m definitely a fair bit down on the story as a whole. A pretty big regression from 7, which is unfortunate. Not bad enough to kill the game entirely, far from it, Infinite Wealth will almost certainly go down as my second favorite game in the series. But it’s not better than 7 for me, which is understandable but a bit disappointing nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom