• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Review Thread (see staff post)

From the GI review
Still, the narrative and world designs left much to be desired as critical plot twists are frustratingly obvious, character growth is virtually nonexistent, and navigation in each uninspired environment proves to be a tiring exercise. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a double-edged sword that needs a bit more sharpening.
How the hell can you call environments uninspired in a Monolith soft game?

I will play this game probably in 1 year or so, but very happy that they heard the feedback from previous xenoblades.

Really wish I was 15 years younger so I had time to play games like this.
That's defeatist talk! With things like sleep mode it's never been easier to break up long games into 1 hour or less chunks. It'll just take a while to finish but you can do it.

I'm actually looking forward to this mostly because I want to see how much this is pushing the Switch hardware. I couldn't care less about the FPS numberwang but DF's attention to / insight into things like how the games are made and rendering modes and stuff is fascinating.

Glad to see reviewers are so positive, will read through a bunch when I get home, numbers alone don't matter much to me.

Also I don't think this is a 150 hour game unless you're extremely completionist.

89 with 33 reviews in, I imagine this will dip to 87 or so. Right in my expected range and a notable improvement from 2 and Torna if that pans out.

Sheesh, 150 hours is a lot. Inclined to believe that it is not so much a 150 hour campaign, but rather a 40-60 hour one with the rest being sidequests and postgame.

I beat Xenoblade 1 in about 60 hours. 150 sounds absolutely massive, I'm sure that's with a lot of sidequests factored in. But considering how much MonolithSoft appears to have improved the side quests, I definitely think I'll put more time into this one.

Sheesh, 150 hours is a lot. Inclined to believe that it is not so much a 150 hour campaign, but rather a 40-60 hour one with the rest being sidequests and postgame.
Yeah, that sounds about standard for the series.

What a disappointment, not even over 90 for the biggest nintendo game of the year. I personally only play game with a metascore of 90+ (I don't have time for mediocrity) so that's a big slip for me, Nintendo should truly reconsider is stance on game quality and start searching for better developers
#firetakahashi

/noS

What a disappointment, not even over 90 for the biggest nintendo game of the year. I personally only play game with a metascore of 90+ (I don't have time for mediocrity) so that's a big slip for me, Nintendo should truly reconsider is stance on game quality and start searching for better developers
#firetakahashi

/noS
I don't know how much you know about Metacritic culture (I'm an expert)

89 with 33 reviews in, I imagine this will dip to 87 or so. Right in my expected range and a notable improvement from 2 and Torna if that pans out.
My prediction was 85-89 range in the prediction thread so I'm right there with you

Isn't that how most of these games are structured based on HLTB stats?

From the GI review

Reminds me of when they gave Paper Mario TTYD a low score because they thought it wouldn't appeal to a wide audience.

I wish the Switch being so outdated and struggling tech-wise didn't have any impact at all in the reviews. I know some of them ignore it (or, rather, take it into account), but it still seems to be affecting some of them and it's annoying imo. Like could even Monolith Soft do much better on this hardware? Really?
The technical issues on resolution and such are only the Switch's fault, nothing else

I think all the hero characters, their classes they can add to your arts and their stories is what can extend the playtime overall.

Edit: I read the Gameinformer one and found the criticism of the environments odd. I don't know, I always felt that even from a spectator standpoint (didn't get into playing the games until Xenoblade DE in 2020) over the years and finally getting into the series the scale of the world design is breathtaking...

Much higher consensus score on metacritic than expected
open critic is where I expected it to land (on the high end) on metacritic. Looks like we have another winner

Grats to XBC fans

I wish the Switch being so outdated and struggling tech-wise didn't have any impact at all in the reviews. I know some of them ignore it (or, rather, take it into account), but it still seems to be affecting some of them and it's annoying imo. Like could even Monolith Soft do much better on this hardware? Really?
The technical issues on resolution and such are only the Switch's fault, nothing else

I was thinking this exact thing. If someone would have reviewed this emulated on a Steamdeck with patches, would it get a higher score?

No. Reviewers ain’t harsher today.

Anything new or new direction is always seen in a brighter light. Like Three Houses, it had a new direction and a lot of new folks trying it out seriously. It’s why it got so many great scores, on top of being good. But just by doing something far different and/or being new at the series. It’s always get a little more love.

Xenoblade 3 is more of the same honestly. Just refined. Not something that’ll get the “extra spark” for reviewers or new players. No shame and no surprise if some score lower.

What matters is that being in green means the current fans can look forward to another great entry this Friday.

it a beautiful and well performing game too. only time I notice otherwise is when you see a closeup on like hair lol

Isn't that how most of these games are structured based on HLTB stats?
Maybe it is just me, but when I read "150 hour campaign" I think "150 hours to beat the game", not "150 hours to 100%". That is all I was getting at.

Definitely will pick this up later in the year however I do not have the energy to play a game that is 100+ hours at the moment due studies and just recovered from COVID.

Damn, my MC was glitching between 88 and 89 for a while at 33 reviews, but it's still at 89 with 52 reviews now. Really excellent stuff, definitely surpassing my already high expectations at this point.

The entire GI review is weird. The comparision to tales of Arise in particular as tome of the praise for that, like character and story, we're mostly complaints in other reviews.
Even then, nothing in the review seems to indicate a 7.25.
When someone puts such a different score towards a game without really showing why they do so. I wonder if they do it to just be controversial and get people to talk about that website.

The entire GI review is weird. The comparision to tales of Arise in particular as tome of the praise for that, like character and story, we're mostly complaints in other reviews.
yeah. almost like reviews are subjective

Everytime a new game releases I can't believe how awful metacritic is as a site.
I'm not talking about the reviews but the site itself, it barely works, full of ads and pop in, sometimes it goes in desktop mode on it's own and sometimes it shows less reviews or more reviews if you refresh the page.

10/10 from RPG Site
Xenoblade-Chronicles-3-Review_10.jpg

11/10

From the GI review

I'm not far enough into X3 to say anything definite. But, this guy gave Tales of Arise a 9.25 which had some of the most uninspiring environments I can remember in long long time. In fact, the majority of his complaints towards X3 I would say apply to Arise.

I just really don't think the Xenoblade slice of JRPGs is geared toward this guy's personal preferences. Which is totally fine.

Both xenoblade 3 and fire emblem threehouses got 89 on metacritic.
Is this the new niche barrier?

I'm actually looking forward to this mostly because I want to see how much this is pushing the Switch hardware. I could care less about the FPS numberwang but DF's attention to / insight into things like how the games are made and rendering modes and stuff is fascinating.
that's why I post a lot of DF stuff. I like seeing how the sausage is made

can't wait for Design Docs good design/bad design

I’m playing Tales of Arise right now.

I can definitely see why some would perfer it to any Xenoblade game.

Not me personally. But these are totally different games, like structure and everything. Only thing similar I’ve seen is that you get a flame sword from touching a women’s chest 🤷🏽‍♀️

Yeah, like I’m not trying to dismiss his opinion but it was just odd because the things he praised Tales of Arise for were why I dropped it and generally just seemed in opposition to general consensus

Please see the threadmarked staff post. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom