• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little did we know this way of handling nudity as fanservice is way, way better

with at the very least an ounce of taste

Way way, way way way, WAY better.

Although, honestly, should have seen this coming since we are literally using a metaphor for the concept of sex to beat up bad guys. I think our final form is going to be an orgy.

What's next, actual acknowledgement and grappling with sexual agency, awareness, desire and consentuality instead of the videogame equivalents of the 'She doesn't understand what everyone's staring at!!!' ads?

Although, honestly, should have seen this coming since we are literally using a metaphor for the concept of sex to beat up bad guys. I think our final form is going to be an orgy.

What's next, actual acknowledgement and grappling with sexual agency, awareness, desire and consentuality instead of the videogame equivalents of the 'She doesn't understand what everyone's staring at!!!' ads?

Remind me which philosophy term to google that pertains to the "metaphor for sex", I can't remember

Mentally preparing for the tediously cyclical arguments about bathing scenes (and whatever other "anime tropes" are in store along the way) over at R3s3t3ra for the next 4-5 years.
At least the debate about technical performance should be lessened, but a lot of folks missed out on Torna The Golden Country, and never realised that Monolith Soft were well on their way to getting their engine(s) optimised back in 2018(!).

Must resist watching too many video previews when I get home...

Everything I am hearing about this game is sounding fantastic. I am really getting way too hyped for this game.

There's something about the overall visual identity/cohesion of this game that looks bad in some segments/images. I can't put my finger on why, but it feels like it looks worse than Xenoblade 2 in some ways? I dunno, maybe it's just the snippets I've seen so far throwing me off. Sometimes it looks great, and then other times not so much.

eh, lets wait before we start calling it that. I remember when people were throwing that around for Steven Universe then Steven fused with his dad

New main theme in the title screen. Is it July 29th yet? 😭

Nice:
  • There's Easy and Hard modes from day 1, auto-battle as well
  • You can turn off auto-attack damage numbers or your party's besides yours
  • Several notifications types which you can disable individually
  • Dual audio, if anyone had a doubt

eh, lets wait before we start calling it that. I remember when people were throwing that around for Steven Universe then Steven fused with his dad

Nope. No stopping the sex train now. Existential horror, dread and mind bleaching is just a bridge we'll have to cross/cliff face well have to smash into and burn to death horribly on when we get to it.
There's something about the overall visual identity/cohesion of this game that looks bad in some segments/images. I can't put my finger on why, but it feels like it looks worse than Xenoblade 2 in some ways? I dunno, maybe it's just the snippets I've seen so far throwing me off. Sometimes it looks great, and then other times not so much.

Is it the landscape, or clashing character design type stuff? Have been mostly staying away from character stuff, so I wouldn't know.

But if it's the landscape, I do feel the lod, particularly of the 'macro object/environment' variety is kind of.... more aggressive than what I have identified as the standard in relation to native system capability in monolithsoft games.

In comparison to Xenoblade 2, it is pretty clear that these environments are much much larger than even the largest areas, and so the same amount of system resources will inevitably be spread thinner, even with increases in optimization. But I personally don't feel this explains this magnitude of a difference.

My personal take/theory is:
Resources are being limited to provide the necessary overhead for very large scale movement and events, using those assets and possibly entire landscapes that seem a little off in comparison to prior games.

Remind me which philosophy term to google that pertains to the "metaphor for sex", I can't remember
A37E7CF9-1995-4C45-90CC-958C5C377E76.jpeg

Nevermind, Nintendo reminded me lmao

Hm, only three accessory slots, and only one available from the start is bit eh. Especially if food isn't giving battle bonuses either

Gems might make up for that though, we still don't really know how they're equipped. And also seems like there's a lot of potential with Skills. Just hoping that they didn't streamline things too much on the character building side

I'm guessing "Battle camera" is for Talent Arts. Should make those a little less repetitive. "Audio Environment" is a good option to have - don't know of many Switch games that offer that. "Training drills" isn't something that we've seen yet, I don't think.

Did DE have an option to turn off enemy aggro? I know that was in Torna, but I don't see it here.

Oh no. There's no option to disable the in battle arts shouting. I didn't use it in the previous games but the thought of seven characters shouting all their arts is already giving me a headache :(

Also I wonder if it's worthwhile going for hard difficulty off the bat. I assume you can change it in game if you change your mind...

Decoy is back! This truly is a stealth X-2 lol.

And it looks like L and R are used to switch targets so what's dashing?

Last edited:
Someone accidentally spoiled a returning location in one of the previews.

Alcamoth

resize
This is the bigger spoiler I saw this morning, it seems like it's from the very first cutscene though.

In other news it looks like we are getting multiple save files like DE, I just wish XC2 had multiple saves lol

Another praise about handheld mode 👀:

"while we're no Digital Foundry, to our eyes it's a big step up in quality over Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It even looks swish in handheld mode, which was notoriously soft in previous entries"

Someone accidentally spoiled a returning location in one of the previews.

Alcamoth

resize
I believe we've seen it in the background of some shots before so this isn't a huge spoiler, honestly. And somewhat expected anyways given who seems to be in charge of Keves

I believe we've seen it in the background of some shots before so this isn't a huge spoiler, honestly. And somewhat expected anyways given who seems to be in charge of Keves

I know what you mean, but this Alcamoth is pretty much identical to XC1’s version. There was a floating silhouetted castle that was previously speculated to be a redesigned Alcamoth.

But now I’m unsure because apparently that image of Alcamoth is from the opening scene, so maybe something happens to it early on?

I know what you mean, but this Alcamoth is pretty much identical to XC1’s version. There was a floating silhouetted castle that was previously speculated to be a redesigned Alcamoth.

But now I’m unsure because apparently that image of Alcamoth is from the opening scene, so maybe something happens to it early on?

I'm pretty sure that shot of Alacmoth is before the worlds merge and that the black floating castle is what Alacmoth evolved into over the course of time between the worlds merging and when the game takes place.

Yea, only three accessory slots and needing to wait until level 30 just to get the second one is a huge disappointment. Really hope gems make up for this. Having four skill slots right off the bat is great though! X only gave you two slots on the first tier of classes after drifter.

Really like how the menu has its own theme. Reminds me a little of that UMN email menu track from Xenosaga 1.

Welp.It sounds like Eurogamer spoils that there is a connection to a certain game…

That game being Xenoblade X

They only say that it has "some of the more open-ended elements" of X, which sounds like something to do with exploring the game's world to me than anything story-related.

Someone watched the last Evangelion movie where every girl is nude half of the time they are on screen and none of the other characters react to that.
Have you played a Xeno game? The person who watched Evangelion was Takahashi. 🤣

Hard mode off the bat, nice. Hopefully it's properly balanced and not an ng+ overturned mode like BoC in 2, I'd like to play it first go.

"while we're no Digital Foundry, to our eyes it's a big step up in quality over Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It even looks swish in handheld mode, which was notoriously soft in previous entries"
Nice! That was one of my biggest gripes for XC2, resolution in handheld was horrible in some instances.

Xenoblade 3: Officially Certified Rock Hard Swish, even in handheld. -Not Digital Foundry.

Yea, only three accessory slots and needing to wait until level 30 just to get the second one is a huge disappointment. Really hope gems make up for this. Having four skill slots right off the bat is great though! X only gave you two slots on the first tier of classes after drifter.

Really like how the menu has its own theme. Reminds me a little of that UMN email menu track from Xenosaga 1.
Yeah it looks to me at least like they're trying to streamline a lot of the character building elements to compensate for having a wide array of classes to manage. But then again, even the class progression mechanics seem pretty streamlined (everything seems to be gained just by going up in class rank)

Granted, if I'm being perfectly honest this isn't really going to affect me since I don't tend to dig too deep into the character building in these games, and the benefit of having a streamlined progression like this is that build experimentation is much easier, if less deep (no need to get that perfect equipment set or grind out affinity charts, but at the same time there's less nitty gritty details to play with), but it is a bit of a shame if this does turn out to be the case.

Seems like the embargo on footage goes up until the boss fight with Wild Ride, so only the very beginning of the game basically. I think impressions can go a little further, since people have mentioned they've gotten multiple Heroes, but even then there seems to be quite a bit of stuff embargoed. I've heard mentions of some "X-like" exploration details under embargo (though apparently fall damage is a thing) as well as some combat stuff as well.

Basically they're still keeping a lot under wraps it seems

Edit: Ok, I've now found footage from after the Wild Ride fight (not much further, mind, seemingly right after that fight, but the full party of 6 is there). So the video embargo might be a bit after that point

Last edited:
Can't believe they pulled off a near perfect 30fps when in the direct just a week ago showed drops that looked almost sub 20fps sometimes. Bless Monolith Soft 🙏🙏
They along with Next Level Games, EPD 9, and Zelda team (of which they are a part of) are the best technical devs Nintendo has to offer.

All the little things like cutscene to gameplay transitions, unique location dialogue during exploration (first time they've done this), smooth gameplay, beautiful cutscenes, wonderful animations, the tone, the setting, the music, the story, the character designs. This looks to be the best game Monolith Soft has ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom