• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely miss Xenoblade 1's elegant art icons that were able to convey all the necessary information with a simple set of symbols and color variety.
Yep, after improving on this already good system with the DE (making position arts highlighted when are effective, showing spikes on the enemie's health bar etc...) it's beyond me how they have returned to this convoluted mess of UI. I mean, a small orange arrow between all the other orange icons doesn't seem the best way to indicate your relative position.

2's icons were kind of weird (why did back attack and evasion have the same symbol?)
Xc2's icons were kind of bad. The useful icon that tells the player the main effect of the art was small at the bottom, while the big icon that takes most of the square's space can be useful (like the topple symbol) or a random shape that servers no purpose.

I don't understand how they are doing worse icons with each new game.

I wonder if they are going to address that the Alrest descended Humans and the Bionis descended Homs are flat out separate species.

They started to tweet about some of the heroes revealed in the direct. Starting with the best hero: Alexandria. Not too much new that wasn't already in the direct though.

One of the heroes is "Nina" (CV: Ami Shimizu). Her class is "Attacker," and she uses a sword-like blade to cut down enemies with her brilliant swordsmanship. Her attack power increases with each critical hit, making her stronger and stronger in battle.
Nina belongs to Agnus and is a well-known figure widely known in Keves for her skill with the sword and her ability to judge the war situation!

There were some other tweets about the tactics options but they just work the same way they always have since Xenoblade 1 and the clips didn't show anything of interest so I didn't bother with them.

edit: Oh wait, they started with Fiona last week lol. I completely forgot about her. And I did find something interesting about one of the tactics clips:

At about the 16 second mark, Sena uses the dual swords again for a left-side art. It deals damage and grants powercharge. Likely the Cross Impact art we saw in the chain attack clip. I wonder if Hidden Thorn comes from this class as well. Both appropriate art names for a dual sword class.

Last edited:
Almost missed the cutscene post:

Nina had a very good eye for warfare, and she attacked Noah and the others, too!

I like how the Agnus military outfit is based off Morag's uniform. Sniper girl with the white Morag outfit and DBZ scouter should be a hero!

Last edited:
oh lordy this game is an affront to my wholesome christian eyes!

unknown.png

Don't think I'll be watching any previews. I'll keep following the Twitter updates but I'm ready for the game to come out at this point

YES!!

Monolith Soft optimised the game good according to Polygon preview:

While numbers, aggro lines, and AoE effects can clutter the screen, the Switch itself is up to the task. Monolith Soft has clearly figured out how to optimize its engine for not just frame rate, but for graphic fidelity as well. There's evidently still adaptive resolution at play (and I'm not entirely sure what the pixel count is while the console is docked), but characters and UI elements possess a level of graphic fidelity only reserved for cinematics in past games.

The same is true even in handheld mode. While resolution is clearly reduced, the compromises in image quality between character models, backgrounds, and particle effects are juggled successfully, creating a more balanced viewing experience. Moreover, the game almost always holds at 30 frames per second in combat — while docked or in handheld

We’ll have to see how the Switch holds up when, say, fighting in larger settings with more ambient particle effects against multiple foes while Interlinking. But the point is that, for perhaps the first time, it feels as if Monolith Soft’s scope and ambition aren’t constrained. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 doesn’t look like it’s straddling its hardware’s — or its developer’s — limits"

YES!!

Monolith Soft optimised the game good according to Polygon preview:

While numbers, aggro lines, and AoE effects can clutter the screen, the Switch itself is up to the task. Monolith Soft has clearly figured out how to optimize its engine for not just frame rate, but for graphic fidelity as well. There's evidently still adaptive resolution at play (and I'm not entirely sure what the pixel count is while the console is docked), but characters and UI elements possess a level of graphic fidelity only reserved for cinematics in past games.

The same is true even in handheld mode. While resolution is clearly reduced, the compromises in image quality between character models, backgrounds, and particle effects are juggled successfully, creating a more balanced viewing experience. Moreover, the game almost always holds at 30 frames per second in combat — while docked or in handheld

We’ll have to see how the Switch holds up when, say, fighting in larger settings with more ambient particle effects against multiple foes while Interlinking. But the point is that, for perhaps the first time, it feels as if Monolith Soft’s scope and ambition aren’t constrained. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 doesn’t look like it’s straddling its hardware’s — or its developer’s — limits"
Just did a knee slide in my room. REJOICE HANDHELD GANG, WE MIGHT HAVE A RUNAWAY HIT ON OUR HANDS.

Just did a knee slide in my room. REJOICE HANDHELD GANG, WE MIGHT HAVE A RUNAWAY HIT ON OUR HANDS.
I was thinking to myself, if the game looked good as MH Rise in handheld mode, I would be very satisfied and it looks like it might be the case after all.

Seriously, as much as I love Xenoblade 2, the filter and resolution was such a bummer in handheld.

So it seems they can only talk about the basic premise and the combat yet?
I want to know if it's open-world!!

Any handheld impressions?

Multiplayer.it played it handheld and they said it's "much better" than previous games, even if the image quality "it's a bit dirtier" than docked

What excites me most about my time with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 so far are the little glimpses of influence from X - a personal favourite of the series so far, and one I'd dearly love to see on Switch.
Eurogamer writer confirmed for Based

I was thinking to myself, if the game looked good as MH Rise in handheld mode, I would be very satisfied and it looks like it might be the case after all.

Seriously, as much as I love Xenoblade 2, the filter and resolution was such a bummer in handheld.
The vicious combination of the sharpening filter and the disastrous resolution was just so.. baffling to me. Such a shame that the otherwise unmatched aesthetics are only able to truly shine in docked mode, always held up a glimmer of hope for a potential patch to reduce the sharpening, oh sweet, sweet summer child..

GOTY incoming. So hyped for this and glad these previews seems so positive.

Glad monolith really seems to have a handle on the switch hardware now too, gotta squeeze out all that juice.

The developers flex their technological prowess as significant combat encounters seamlessly transition from cutscene to gameplay with no fade transitions at all. To mask the loading transition, the cutscene deliberately zooms in on foes right before the battle starts, switches to the gameplay instance, and zooms out right as the encounter begins.

Fairly minor thing, but it looks like the track that we thought was Agnus Battle is actually the Elite monster theme. Plays when fighting a low level Elite in the starting area, while Keves Battle plays when fighting normal enemies.

Already previews? Won't read them but it's great to hear they've got ample time to play the game.

So it seems they can only talk about the basic premise and the combat yet?
I want to know if it's open-world!!

According to Polygon:

"During my first moments roaming an ashy battlefield in the game’s open world, a composite continent of large regions stitched together à la Xenoblade Chronicles, I was met by high-level monsters I would not be able to fight for dozens more hours and inundated with tutorial screens and umpteen more notifications. I quickly found that I could, however, turn tutorial notifications off."

According to Polygon:

"During my first moments roaming an ashy battlefield in the game’s open world, a composite continent of large regions stitched together à la Xenoblade Chronicles, I was met by high-level monsters I would not be able to fight for dozens more hours and inundated with tutorial screens and umpteen more notifications. I quickly found that I could, however, turn tutorial notifications off."

Stitched together..... with loading screens? Because that's what I hear when I see a la Xenoblade Chronicles

Yeah, Xenoblade is always segmented. Often times each "segmented area" could easily be the setting of its own game though so "open-world" vs. "segmented open world" is kinda just semantics.

Also one of the preview videos said you didn't need to play XC1 or XC2 and sort of implied not to worry about it, while the b-roll constantly shows the Mechonis' sword and the Urayan titan. I dunno... I think in the closing moments of this game people are gonna be glad they played XC1+2 or really confused if they didn't.

Oh shit. Monolithsoft fully resisted the opportunity for low brow kitsch and easy pandering shenanigans like tripping into boobs, or contrived sequences ending in ear rending screeches of pervert even though everyone is naked?

The stakes of this world are fucking dire fam.

Little did we know this way of handling nudity as fanservice is way, way better

with at the very least an ounce of taste

I'd rather have no bath or sauna scenes at all, but previews are looking even better than i expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom