• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've heard what seems to be a different main battle theme in Maktha Wildwoods, which is also where we meet our first Agnus Hero, so we've seen at least one Agnus area. It's also pretty likely imo that Great Cotte Falls is in Agnus, since that and the Wildwood were shown together
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t that speculated to be an elite/unique monster theme? Would be pretty disappointing if that ended up being the second battle theme. Feels too intense to be a normal battle theme IMO.

Ah well, the soundtrack will be great regardless.

That looks like a handheld screenshot.
So are these:
FUobySDaAAAD92i

FUobyS-acAAF5_J

Monolith would rather have a blurry smooth 720p game then let it be jagged unless they really have to (handheld mode). That decision is questionable as we’ve seen with DE and 2.
I don't believe they've shown handheld shots at all. it serves them no purpose and is easier to take docked shots from whatever capture medium they're on. it's not unbelievable that the game just has bad IQ. their previous games have that too

I don't believe they've shown handheld shots at all. it serves them no purpose and is easier to take docked shots from whatever capture medium they're on. it's not unbelievable that the game just has bad IQ. their previous games have that too
You’re right. On closer inspection, the green girl screens are docked. The Valdi ones might be handheld I think. Their handheld shots are pretty easy to spot. There’s a particular compressed sharp look to them. Very obvious artifacting esp around edges. Docked mode usually doesn’t have that problem no matter how low the resolution gets.
Same scene looks better docked:

You’re right. On closer inspection, the green girl screens are docked. The Valdi ones might be handheld I think. Their handheld shots are pretty easy to spot. There’s a particular compressed sharp look to them. Very obvious artifacting esp around edges. Docked mode usually doesn’t have that problem no matter how low the resolution gets.
Same scene looks better docked:

nah, they're all docked. the issue with the screenshots is that they are probably taken from the engine and not captured in motion. the video looks better because of the TAA doing work on the frames. you can't get that in stills due to how TAA works

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t that speculated to be an elite/unique monster theme? Would be pretty disappointing if that ended up being the second battle theme. Feels too intense to be a normal battle theme IMO.

Ah well, the soundtrack will be great regardless.
It wasn't the unique theme iirc, and we've seen other elite fights without it

Still, could be some situational track instead of a main theme

It wasn't the unique theme iirc, and we've seen other elite fights without it

Still, could be some situational track instead of a main theme
Yup, checked it myself and it’s definitely not an elite/unique theme. Doesn’t look like elites even have a unique theme.

No use getting disappointed over a trio of 5 second sound bytes though, I trust them to deliver a second good battle theme.

After listening to the Keves battle track for the umpteenth time (sorry I"ve been hooked ever since some parts of it surfaced shortly after the 2nd trailer lol), I really love that leitmotifs from Torna battle theme were smoothly mixed into the track. Starting from 0:28 with the piano bridge, forwarding to the string instruments at 0:49 and this is only the first 90 seconds.
It's even better that Hiramatsu (must be him I swear, the track tempo is totally in his style so far) did not try to bring those leitmotifs up to front and center, but keep them low enough so that long time fans will be able to notice subconsciously when playing the game.

Besides the leitmotifs, the flute solo/duo between 0:30-0:45, especially the mode mixture from 0:39 is my favorite. Overall both the flute and the guitar sections serve well in compressing the energy released from the preceding violin and piano sections. To me it feels so lively, as if the music also breathes just like the musicians. For real, I would kill to be able to hear the full Agnus battle theme, it has stuck inside my head ever since the Twitter clip from late May. Its tempo resembles Bionis Shoulder battle theme so much.

Got the English name for the archer girl: Juniper. Would be nice if they'd give us official translations of the class names, though.

I was able to grab the special edition the first time it hit the Nintendo store and have my confirmation email, so I'm pretty excited for this. I've bought every Xenoblade special edition so not getting this one felt wrong lol.

I just hope they get the game to me on launch. I am itching to play this so badly.

Never liked the character focused attempts to advertise these games.

Not that they aren't nice character designs...... But that these characters are a lot more involved than look at the plumber in bright primary colors jumping, he's a Jumpman, jumping is fun, what a fun character.

We don't know any of these characters yet. Even with the profiles given throughout this thread. Not like we will when we are waist deep in adventure and stakes with them after we have already bought and began playing the game.

My eye is immediately drawn up top to that panoramic shot at the top left. These same characters looking in view at some fantastical landscapes before them I can only barely see and now an instant connection and relation is drawn with these same characters, even though they are not even facing me. 'what is that?'

Frame should have been a big view of a fantastic landscape crowned by the murdered titan and Mechonis blade, with the cast looking at it just like the viewer.

Time for a chain attack!

If you are acting in accordance with your combo or role, you can do a powerful special move "Chain Attack" in cooperation with your party members. Anyway, it looks like a powerful special move, so I'm going to use it with gusto!

The fact that they're still being so guarded about how chain attacks work has me convinced we're getting a treehouse

Time for a chain attack!

The fact that they're still being so guarded about how chain attacks work has me convinced we're getting a treehouse

So seems like Chain Attack gauge can be built in at least three ways? Combos, "playing to your role" aka doing whatever you do to fill Talent Arts, and attack cancels (from the blog)

Interesting that those screenshots in the post are all directly ripped out of the Japanese "release date" trailer from April

Very odd there's no tweet. Even before, they announced that information would slow down/stop for a while when the game was first revealed.

So something must be up. Maybe a Xenoblade Direct for this week? Because it'd be weird for them to go completely silent for another week (assuming the 29th Direct rumors are true). Or their announcing the Direct a week ahead of time.

Monolith Soft have done a great job keeping conversation around the game alive for months. Logging into Twitter each day to see the next update has been a lot of fun - it's been something to look forward, which is why it's a bit of a shame that it appears to be over.

But they've spoilt us really - lots of info, but nothing major. Enough to keep us hooked, but nothing crazy.

A week without updates is going to feel loooonnnng.

Of course, let's be optimistic and say that the updates have stopped because a big three-hour XC3 direct is going to be announced in the next hour or two. :p

Not the direct I wanted...
I'm already sold on the game and won't watch, but I hope it will convince more people...
Nice to see Nintendo going all in on this game though !

If you are interested in being as spoiler free as possible, I would suggest NOT watching the Direct.

Xenoblade directs, are very spoiler heavy.

What’s the situation with the American collectors edition? Here in Italy they didn’t open the preorder yet and I would like to know if I should expect they’ll be out of stock in 10 minutes

Had a feeling this would happen since I woke up to no tweets today and it would be strange for them to just randomly stop.

I'll watch it but turn off if they start talking about plot stuff we don't know yet. If they stick to story details we more or less already know and focus the presentation on gameplay elements, it's no problem for me.

I'll watch it but turn off if they start talking about plot stuff we don't know yet. If they stick to story details we more or less already know and focus the presentation on gameplay elements, it's no problem for me.
that's definitely going to come up since it's half the selling point

I would imagine that either the Xenoblade 3 Direct or the trailer in the general Direct will showcase the plot point that was leaked by Gamestop, though that's probably shown pretty early in the game anyway. The Xenoblade 3 Direct will likely show off some more class stuff that people have inferred but hasn't been revealed, though for completeness's sake they'll probably reiterate some of the blog posts anyway.

But I do think there's room in there for some new stuff in there, maybe glimpses of some more characters or areas. I'd like them to focus more on game mechanics, in part because of spoilers, but also because there is a good deal we don't really know yet, even counting all the stuff that hasn't been officially translated.

Not the direct I wanted...
I'm already sold on the game and won't watch, but I hope it will convince more people...
Nice to see Nintendo going all in on this game though !
I feel it's still the Direct we needed.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 didn't get as much "hype" initially due to backlash with the anime style/character designs...
Hopefully this time people will see Xenoblade Chronicles 3's tone shift and not be put-off.

Edit:

Last edited:
I'm currently only halfway through XC2 (already beat XC1) and concerned that XC3 info might spoil events from XC2. Should I avoid watching any XC3 trailers?

I'm currently only halfway through XC2 (already beat XC1) and concerned that XC3 info might spoil events from XC2. Should I avoid watching any XC3 trailers?
I feel this Direct will be more on establishing what a Xenoblade Chronicles game is, so you can expect them to go over combat systems and maybe just the setup going into the game.

I feel this Direct will be more on establishing what a Xenoblade Chronicles game is, so you can expect them to go over combat systems and maybe just the setup going into the game.

Thanks! What about the trailers that have already been released? I've avoided everything so far.

I feel it's still the Direct we needed.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 didn't get as much "hype" initially due to backlash with the anime style/character designs...
Hopefully this time people will see Xenoblade Chronicles 3's tone shift and not be put-off.

Edit:

Yeah, it was hard going from the first xenoblade chronicles to the design in 2. But I’m hoping, and expecting, 3 to be better than all of them :)

Let’s go. Probably a recap of the blog posts but I’ll take it.
Since it's also airing in Japan I imagine they'll also have new stuff, though I expect at least half of it to be recapping the blog post

Though at the very least we'll get more official translations of stuff we've only seen in Japanese so far

I‘m guessing they‘ll be showing the white ouroboros that was speculated here earlier. They also haven’t shown anything about how vehicles work, so I’m expecting that as well.

I‘m guessing they‘ll be showing the white ouroboros that was speculated here earlier. They also haven’t shown anything about how vehicles work, so I’m expecting that as well.

Vehicles only being shown very briefly during the reveal trailer and nothing since has probably been the weirdest part of this marketing cycle for me. I think every other major thing initially shown there has been expanded upon since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom