• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour Xbox First Party going third party/multiplat - Discussing and Summary Thread (UPDATE: 4 Xbox exclusives are coming to Nintendo Switch and PS5)

Sea of Thieves is totally launching day one on Switch 2, isn’t it? The Rare x Nintendo redemption arc continues!
Yes!

Hopefully this means some maybe Switch port of things like 2013 Killer Instinct, and if not Rare Replay than at least cram NSO full of more Rareware.

everyone and their grandmother has had a take already but this is getting fucking stupid. A proper EVENT would've already felt like more ridiculous "we're your best friends" type of corporate communication, but a PODCAST is probably only going to make things worse with the loud fanatics on twitter or youtube or forums. I forget who said it or where i read it but it really feels like since 2013, Microsoft/Phil Spencer has never said anything they didn't feel like they had to walk back or overexplain in podcasts or interviews. just stop. All you have to say: "Thank you for your support of our platforms. We still plan on publishing first-party titles and exclusives to both Xbox consoles, PC and Game Pass, but other titles through our acquisitions are also being considered for other platforms on a case by case basis." that's it; the point has been made. i really hate the theater around this.
Maybe it's not just "it", that's the thing.

Sea of Thieves is totally launching day one on Switch 2, isn’t it? The Rare x Nintendo redemption arc continues!
part of me wish Nintendo would just buy them back from Microsoft. Would be nice to have another western dev and their output likely would be slightly better than their output under Microsoft.

Xbox Handheld sounds dope tbh

They honestly might find more success in that space than home consoles

Have the Surface team design it too, they have great build quality (awful customer service tho)

That article is a bit frustrating with the mention about ditching the consoles entirely. I've already mentioned it but, while next to improbable, I really hope Micro doesn't do that within the next five years at the very least. The alternative in developing countries is PlayStation and that's just way too expensive for many.

Maybe it's not just "it", that's the thing.
What else could it be? They're still gunna make consoles, so that worry isn't gone at least til probably 2030.
part of me wish Nintendo would just buy them back from Microsoft. Would be nice to have another western dev and their output likely would be slightly better than their output under Microsoft.
would it? Rare hasn't shipped a good video game in 6 years and that needed years of patches and updates to get there. and their next game hasn't been seen in about as long. they'd be just another Retro at this point; it's a waste.

after the news about OEM xboxes, I can't see "handheld xbox" as anything but a Surface Xbox IN ADDITION TO an Alienware handheld, Omen handheld, Asus handheld, etc

I don't think this variance will help too much because of the problems that plague PC games on windows handheld so far. MS will really have to work to fix those. and that's on top of the fact that Surfaces aren't great systems due to cost and specs

Xbox Handheld sounds dope tbh

They honestly might find more success in that space than home consoles

Have the Surface team design it too, they have great build quality (awful customer service tho)
There's so much competion in that space though. Like we already have a dozen Windows based handheld gaming machines.
What uniqueness is MS actually bringing to the table here.

There's so much competion in that space though. Like we already have a dozen Windows based handheld gaming machines.
having Microsoft's name on it. granted, that doesn't help Surface because they aren't the best options. I can't see them being the best options here either

having Microsoft's name on it. granted, that doesn't help Surface because they aren't the best options. I can't see them being the best options here either
Really doesn't help anything outside of Windows and that's only because it's the defacto for most things.

What else could it be? They're still gunna make consoles, so that worry isn't gone at least til probably 2030.

would it? Rare hasn't shipped a good video game in 6 years and that needed years of patches and updates to get there. and their next game hasn't been seen in about as long. they'd be just another Retro at this point; it's a waste.
I didn't say the output would be like the old days in terms of quality, but higher output for sure. I think if Nintendo continues to own rare, a Banjo-Kazooie game would have happened long ago, and there's a ready audience on Nintendo platforms for it.

Final game remains, huh? If it's already getting ported then it's something already on Xbox. I'm thinking one of these:

Age of Empires IV
Age of Empires Definitive Edition
Grounded

But suspect Psychonauts 2 will also receive a Switch port but it doesn't count as it's already mutliplat.

I agree, i think the Xbox 'portable' might just be an Xbox branded handheld PC and will directly compete with the other gaming PCs.
I don't see a consolized Xbox handheld doing any better than the Xbox is doing now, and it would add a 3rd profile for devs to support, unless they are planning to somehow ship the Series S internals in that format. I'm not sure how feasible that is.

I didn't say the output would be like the old days in terms of quality, but higher output for sure. I think if Nintendo continues to own rare, a Banjo-Kazooie game would have happened long ago, and there's a ready audience on Nintendo platforms for it.
Rare isn't really interested in making Banjo games these days and getting bought by Nintendo wouldn't change that.

The culture at Rare is entirely different from what it was 20 years ago.

Final game remains, huh? If it's already getting ported then it's something already on Xbox. I'm thinking one of these:

Age of Empires IV
Age of Empires Definitive Edition
Grounded

But suspect Psychonauts 2 will also receive a Switch port but it doesn't count as it's already mutliplat.
Grounded already got rumored, so I don't think it's that. It's probably Age of Empires or Gears Tactics.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the fourth game is going to be the anniversary edition of Killer Instinct 2013.

No reason. I just think it would be neat.

Grounded already got rumored, so I don't think it's that. It's probably Age of Empires or Gears Tactics.
I feel for the first batch they're gonna go with side franchises and smaller games. I don't expect Halo, Forza, Gears out of the gate. But I think we could see remastered collections of Xbox 360 games just to bring other platforms in the future: Gears, Viva Piñata and Fable.

I feel for the first batch they're gonna go with side franchises and smaller games. I don't expect Halo, Forza, Gears out of the gate. But I think we could see remastered collections of Xbox 360 games just to bring other platforms in the future: Gears, Viva Piñata and Fable.
Gears Tactics is kind of a weird case. It's a spinoff that didn't exactly set the world on fire. I could see it being an exception.

Rare isn't really interested in making Banjo games these days and getting bought by Nintendo wouldn't change that.

This. Rare in 2024 has zero to do with what the company was like in its N64 heyday. There’s no real consistency in philosophy or staff there, which is why buying studios and IP doesn’t mean much when the key creatives either move on, are laid off or aren’t treated well enough to stay.

This. Rare in 2024 has zero to do with what the company was like in its N64 heyday. There’s no real consistency in philosophy or staff there, which is why buying studios and IP doesn’t mean much when the key creatives either move on, are laid off or aren’t treated well enough to stay.
They don't need the studio itself anyway, just the IP's. And not all of them, just the ones that matter lol. They can hire someone like Playtonic to revive them. (btw wtf they're doing, it's been years since Yooka 2D)

They don't need the studio itself anyway, just the IP's. And not all of them, just the ones that matter lol. They can hire someone like Playtonic to revive them. (btw wtf they're doing, it's been years since Yooka 2D)
Nintendo doesn't really need Rare's IPs and buying them just to hire some other party to make a new game is a convoluted chain of events that likely wouldn't be worth it.

I don't believe Rare has no interest in making a Banjo game. I believe they aren't making a Banjo game, which is why they'd say they have no interest in making a Banjo game.

Nintendo doesn't really need Rare's IPs and buying them just to hire some other party to make a new game is a convoluted chain of events that likely wouldn't be worth it.
It's really hard to predict what Nintendo would do on third party front, Iwata specifically asked DQ11 port for Switch and NoA begged a MK11 port from WB in person, they're pretty random. Contracting an indie studio to revive recently retrieved IP after the big reception the Smash DLC got should be in the realm of possibilities.

Also Nate hinted that a new Banjo game is greenlit. I really do feel the above theory is real with but with MS teaming up with Nintendo to release it on Switch/Xbox.

It's really hard to predict what Nintendo would do on third party front, Iwata specifically asked DQ11 port for Switch and NoA begged a MK11 port from WB in person, they're pretty random. Contracting an indie studio to revive recently retrieved IP after the big reception the Smash DLC got should be in the realm of possibilities.

Also Nate hinted that a new Banjo game is greenlit. I really do feel the above theory is real with but with MS teaming up with Nintendo to release it on Switch/Xbox.
There's a difference between negotiating with a third-party partner to port a game to the Switch and buying an IP off of one company in order to take it to another company and pay them to make a brand new game.

There's a difference between negotiating with a third-party partner to port a game to the Switch and buying an IP off of one company in order to take it to another company and pay them to make a brand new game.
If there's an easy way to make it a reality without straight up buying the IP, they'll go for that. I think something like that happened with the revival Nate was talking about.

Talent is portable. This is why Nintendo doesn't like acquisitions, because they want output not buying out competition ,.killi g studios and sitting on their ips.

To me, a Nintendo repurchase of rare is about bringing their IPs home and having another western studio

Talent is portable. This is why Nintendo doesn't like acquisitions, because they want output not buying out competition ,.killi g studios and sitting on their ips.

To me, a Nintendo repurchase of rare is about bringing their IPs home and having another western studio
Microsoft owns those IPs now. Buying Rare would not return them. And Nintendo has always been selective about acquisitions. They wouldn't buy Rare just to have another studio, western or not.

If there's an easy way to make it a reality without straight up buying the IP, they'll go for that. I think something like that happened with the revival Nate was talking about.
The only alternative in that case is Nintendo negotiating with/paying Microsoft for a new Banjo game that would not be developed by Rare.

Last edited:
I'd bet the podcast and multi-platform strategy comes with reassuring caveats: Xbox games will go to Xbox and GamePass first, and other platforms later, so that Xbox players get star treatment.

The only alternative in that case is Nintendo negotiating with/paying Microsoft for a new Banjo game that would not be developed by Rare.
Yeah exactly that. I don't see MS footing the bill for a Banjo game alone but this thing is supposed to have got greenlit some long time after Nate first talked about, I'm thinking Nintendo chipped in too.

Yeah exactly that. I don't see MS footing the bill for a Banjo game alone but this thing is supposed to have got greenlit some long time after Nate first talked about, I'm thinking Nintendo chipped in too.
I don't care what Nate said at some point in the past.

And even if a Banjo game did get greenlit in some form at some point, we don't know if it's still alive or who is actually working on it. Nor is there any evidence that Nintendo is in any way involved or cares. (No, Banjo in Smash does not mean Nintendo will foot the bill on a new Banjo game.)

MS moving to handheld would be ironic since the stated reason why Rare was allowed to develop for Nintendo handhelds is that Xbox didn’t have a competing handheld at the time.

I'd bet the podcast and multi-platform strategy comes with reassuring caveats: Xbox games will go to Xbox and GamePass first, and other platforms later, so that Xbox players get star treatment.
Ah, yes, so Nintendo's getting the Complete and Definitive Editions. I'm following.

Man this timeline where none of these companies care about Banjo sucks.

My timeline at least had someone care enough to negotiate the game onto NSO and put Banjo in Smash, so that's the one I'm returning to. See ya

Hmmm could the other game being ported be that Towerbourne that’s coming later this year? Fits into the same category as Pentiment and Hifi I would say.

The only reason I could see an Xbox handheld being popular is purely for those who have a big digital library on Xbox already or are permanently subbed to GP. With Xbox games on Steam and PC already I don’t think there’s much reason for anyone outside the Xbox ecosystem to buy one.

A podcast? Is Phil going to stop the show 20 minutes in to tell me to subscribe to Hello Fresh?

They're going to stop whenever their Hello Fresh delivery arrives to begin an advertising segment where they put together and cook the meal. And it's just that easy: fresh meals delivered to your doorstep or to your podcast room, just like we're delivering games to your consoles!

Man this timeline where none of these companies care about Banjo sucks.

My timeline at least had someone care enough to negotiate the game onto NSO and put Banjo in Smash, so that's the one I'm returning to. See ya
if games dont make money according to them they wont make it.

if every mario game started selling awfully randomly 10 years down the line the plumber gets the boot.

Have y'all heard the rumor that the MonkEPD title as actually secretly a Banjo-Kazooie and initial reports misinterpreted the big furry critter?

That's a silly rumour. Ignoring for a moment how you would even confuse banjo and DK, the existence of DK is exactly why Nintendo has zero need for banjo.

Despite banjo kazooie being pretty objectively a much better game than DK64 and having a head start with a earlier release, even back then it fell way short in sales. Now that Nintendo would have to pay a chunk to someone else to even license the character instead of using the one they own, for less sales despite being able to skin the same game just in the DK style instead and be rewarded with millions more sales, the very idea they would even earnestly consider banjo is unrealistic at best.

Back
Top Bottom