• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Xbox First Party going third party/multiplat - Discussing and Summary Thread (UPDATE: 4 Xbox exclusives are coming to Nintendo Switch and PS5)

Phil, Sarah and Matt when they were asked if they'd go on camera to deliver this news:
QyBo3k4.jpeg

It is a bizarre choice. I guess it’s easier to just have an informal discussion on this rather make a video with nothing interesting to show. At this point a press release is too minimal. Would be better to have a controlled video interview like politicians do I feel

I can't believe they are doing a podcast as the format after a week of these rumors running rampant lol

For a show that must've been cobbled together at the absolute last minute, this is probably the best they could have done.

Also, the 15th is later than the week they gave us.

After over a week of people losing their shit over the rumors, they really decided that the best response would be a fucking podcast lmao

What is going on here
It's definitely the most robust way they'll be giving information at least.

Though they probably shouldn't be reading chat for this.

I'm not saying it's likely but if there is a Microsoft game announced at the Direct, I could imagine the original plan was for the game to be announced at the Direct, Microsoft spends a few days promoting the "shocking" news, and then the following week, they make a formal announcement about other games going to other platforms. However, with all of the leaks and rumors, they had to move up the timetable to earlier but they also couldn't talk about something that is supposed to be announced at another company's presentation.

Yeah sounds like the announcement will come in Direct and they'll detail their plans in this podcast. I don't think the podcast will any extra game announcements other than confirming the PS5 versions of the games.

To be fair it’s not like it’s going to be a show packed full of interesting stuff. It’s more of a ‘how do we make everything sound as calm and friendly and
‘don’t panic!’ as possible’ thing. So I guess a few executives on a cosy couch talking about whatever was the most ‘this really isn’t anything to worry about’ format they could come up with.

I feel like the fact that it's a podcast is not a big deal. The execs will not be going off tangents or anything, they're probably going to be on a pretty tight script and keeping it pretty focused. I'm imagining some sort of round-table where each one of them has particular points to bring up and they just sort of go through what they want to announce in a structured way. The conversational setup is probably just to soften the message (depending on the tone of what they want say).

Further proof empty corporate suits live entirely devoid from reality. 😂

Edit: sounds like it actually is filmed? Okay, maybe they're not so tone deaf as to be baffling.

So Sarah! Tell me what you know about "Going Third Party"?

Third party? Phil these days I can barely make it through my first party!

* podcast laughter *

On second look, the Official Xbox Podcast is actually a regular series of Youtube videos they upload that also happen to be available in podcast format, so this kind of does make sense

The problem here is that Xbox's marketing is so poor that hardly anyone knows about it. Not exactly the venue people would expect for the news that has everyone talking.

Deciding to do this in podcast form absolutely reeks of them getting caught with their pants down and having to come up with something on the fly. Even a Metroid Prime 4 delay-esque video would probably have been a better bet. It just muddles the message further.

Man, they’re drumming this up, aren’t they?

It’s like they’re prepping for a bad breakup or something. (After Valentine’s Day, funny enough.)

Who likes podcasts?

everyone and their grandmother has had a take already but this is getting fucking stupid. A proper EVENT would've already felt like more ridiculous "we're your best friends" type of corporate communication, but a PODCAST is probably only going to make things worse with the loud fanatics on twitter or youtube or forums. I forget who said it or where i read it but it really feels like since 2013, Microsoft/Phil Spencer has never said anything they didn't feel like they had to walk back or overexplain in podcasts or interviews. just stop. All you have to say: "Thank you for your support of our platforms. We still plan on publishing first-party titles and exclusives to both Xbox consoles, PC and Game Pass, but other titles through our acquisitions are also being considered for other platforms on a case by case basis." that's it; the point has been made. i really hate the theater around this.

Random thought: this podcast is at 12PM PT on the 15th.

Isn’t the Nintendo Direct rumored to also be on the 15th?

And typically, Nintendo does their February Directs at 2PM PT, it seems.

I’m just throwing this out there, but how interesting would what Microsoft says here (games being shared to other platforms now) reflect in the Direct that would possibly follow soon after?

Who knows, I’m just guessing

Random thought: this podcast is at 12PM PT on the 15th.

Isn’t the Nintendo Direct rumored to also be on the 15th?

And typically, Nintendo does their February Directs at 2PM PT, it seems.

I’m just throwing this out there, but how interesting would what Microsoft says here (games being shared to other platforms now) reflect in the Direct that would possibly follow soon after?

Who knows, I’m just guessing
I expect the direct to be 6AM PT/ 9AM ET

If the podcast doesn't work out they should go for the "Apology Video" as made popular by any given Youtuber.

"we'll be making some things up today so we thought we would use a podcast for it too"

"anyways to the announcements, we're happy to announce that we have purchased both of Sony and Nintendo"

Back
Top Bottom