• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion With Advance Wars out, if Nintendo were to work with WayForward again what would you like to see? (Update: MinnMax Interview With WF Director!)

I mean, the game has a zoom function unlike the originals so map size isn’t an issue. There’s already ruleset options between 1/2 with stuff being locked or modded between the 2. Biggest question is how they would tweak the DS CO’s to be usable in AW1/2 rulesets.
I'm more thinking of how the dual battlefields worked and you were expected to send units to the top screen to be controlled entirely by the AI. I'm not saying it's impossible as much as we don't know how much extra work that is. Especially for a game that for all intents and purposes ended development a year before launch.

There's enough different about Dual Strike (particularly in the mechanics of the dual-battlefields across the DS's two screens) that I wonder if Dual Strike DLC would really be that straightforward.

No way. Dual Strike adds far too many new mechanics to be viable as DLC for reboot camp.

Never mind even the crazy tag powers, Communication Towers and even the dual screen maps, Dual Strike even had a touch screen controlled real-time combat mode! It’s a crazy beast of a game that was chock full of experimental ideas, damn the concept of game balance.

Hmmm. Wayforward is all- in for 2D(2,5) like games. As much as I would like a new Battalion Wars. It's probably not a good match for Wayforward. Dual Strike and Days of Ruin are Special. I think they didn't need a Remake. Golden Sun Trilogy is a task for Camelot.

So what remains? Probably the most sense and honor for Camelot would be too make a new entry in the series: Advance Wars 3.

Hmmm. Wayforward is all- in for 2D(2,5) like games. As much as I would like a new Battalion Wars. It's probably not a good match for Wayforward. Dual Strike and Days of Ruin are Special. I think they didn't need a Remake. Golden Sun Trilogy is a task for Camelot.

So what remains? Probably the most sense and honor for Camelot would be too make a new entry in the series: Advance Wars 3.
Wayforward is more than capable of doing 3D (as shown by Advance Wars and Bakugan), so I wouldn't rule it out. especially when Nintendo isn't keen on pure 2D anyway

Wayforward is more than capable of doing 3D (as shown by Advance Wars and Bakugan), so I wouldn't rule it out. especially when Nintendo isn't keen on pure 2D anyway

Wayforward have made games with 3D polygonal graphics, but never a game with 3D gameplay and a controllable 3D camera. Their expertise is clearly in 2D.

Whatever game they make next, you can be assured that it’ll feature purely two dimensional gameplay, even if it features some background 3D graphics.

metroid obviously doesnt needs wayforward, give the studio to a ip that actually is in need of them, such as wario.

Wayforward have made games with 3D polygonal graphics, but never a game with 3D gameplay and a controllable 3D camera. Their expertise is clearly in 2D.

Whatever game they make next, you can be assured that it’ll feature purely two dimensional gameplay, even if it features some background 3D graphics.
controllable camera, sure, but 3D gameplay, they have. granted it was a budget-as fuck licensed game, but they're not a pure 2D studio

and there are a good number of games before this as well

There are a lot of expected properties that are suggested like Wario Land or Golden Sun, but if they work on something unexpected, that would be such a pleasant surprise. Something like, I guess, StarTropics or Balloon Fight. Maybe Doshin the Giant is even more unexpected even though I am not sure if that's going to work well.

Thank you for reading.

I'd assume if their AW remake is even remotely successful, critically and commercially, they will be working on the next Advance Wars. Similar to how the Mercury Steam/Metroid relationship worked out.

I'd assume if their AW remake is even remotely successful, critically and commercially, they will be working on the next Advance Wars. Similar to how the Mercury Steam/Metroid relationship worked out.
I guess that's the way (forward) to go. Makes sense to partner with other studios like Mercury Steam/WayForward/ Camelot/ Platinum/Namco. So Nintendo can spare there ressources for AAA Projects while their partners working on experimental/ smaller Nintendo AA titles.

Quite frankly, if this manages to break 500k sold, I will be ecstatic. Hopefully Nintendo is looking into this that way (though with the reason for the delay, I'm not sure if the next iteration of Nintendo Wars will look as "realistic" as this version)

WayForward Director Shares The Next Nintendo Games He Wants To Work On
I thought this was cool. MinnMax did an interview with the director at WayForward who handled Reboot Camp. The game he most wants to work on next with Nintendo is Kuru Kuru Kururin! I played it for the first time last year, it’s good fun!

I thought this was cool. MinnMax did an interview with the director at WayForward who handled Reboot Camp. The game he most wants to work on next with Nintendo is Kuru Kuru Kururin! I played it for the first time last year, it’s good fun!

Either would be fantastic. Nintendo really ought to license out their older IPs to good developers like this.

Wait. Wait goddamn a minute. Did they hear me? My post is literally the boxart of the game in the first page of this thread!

Would the Chibi Robo series be able to work in 2D? Unless I'm unaware of something and I did do a look through before posting this, they've never made a 3d game. The only 2d Chibi Robo is the one people uh... didn't love, shall we say. Admittedly it was also a platformer where as the original has elements of that but is less rigid so maybe making something more in the spirit of the OG in a 2d plane would be fine, or even top down, but it's just something I think is worth considering. Kuru Kuru Kurin would be neat but the idea of us getting that before Golden Sun let alone say F-Zero (not by them just a return in general) or something is kinda wild

WarioWare and Rythym Heaven are also mentioned in the clip; but I don't know if those would happen without direct IntSys / EPD involvement. I also don't know if i'd trust anything but remasters for Chibi-Robo from WayForward; so much about what I love in Chibi-Robo comes from that Love de Lic DNA, and frankly I don't think they are capable of capturing that on their own.

If they want to tackle Kururin that would be wonderful though; I doubt even Eighting will ever return to it.

they made many 3D games. unless you mean a game in the vein of Mario or something
I mean I just mean a game with 3d movement of any kind, everything seems to be side scoller or top down and I don't think i've even seen 3d graphics tho its possible some are stylized cell shading and it just looks 2d to me in still image form

I only thing I know chibi robo for is the old ‘direct anticipation’ meme with the flames behind them! Maybe we should update that… :D

I'd love to see a new Golden Sun but I'm lost on why people think WayForward is the fit for it, past GS and AW just both being GBA-oriented dormant series. Oh and I guess because GS has djinni and they have that genie. Pretty different realizations, though.

WayForward aren't, like, an RPG house. The GS aesthetic, the anime-esque medieval swords and armor fantasy RPG thing, doesn't really scream WayForward. I know some parts of the GS world have somewhat loose thematic overlap with some of the Shantae stuff, but still.

I'm aware they weren't some strategy-based dev like Firaxis or something either, but there are so many devs that do have RPG speciality, it just seems a strange fit. It's not that I believe they couldn't do a competent remake if tasked with it, I just don't really understand the connection.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a new Golden Sun but I'm lost on why people think WayForward is the fit for it, past GS and AW just both being GBA-oriented dormant series. Oh and I guess because GS has djinni and they have that genie. Pretty different realizations, though.

WayForward aren't, like, an RPG house. The GS aesthetic, the anime-esque medieval swords and armor fantasy RPG thing, doesn't really scream WayForward. I know some parts of the GS world have somewhat loose thematic overlap with some of the Shantae stuff, but still.

I'm aware they weren't some strategy-based dev like Firaxis or something either, but there are so many devs that do have RPG speciality, it just seems a strange fit. It's not that I believe they couldn't do a competent remake if tasked with it, I just don't really understand the connection.

I don't think the people who are asking for them to work on a new Golden Sun really understand what they're asking for here. They're just venting frustration about not getting Golden Sun.

Wayforward have a particular speciality and a particular House Style that is pretty set in stone at this point. They certainly have range as a developer and can work on lots of different types of games (that's what happens when you make a living as a Work-For-Hire developer!), but there's a certain brand of gameplay and visual style that they're clearly most comfortable with.

Wayforward is primarily a developer of 2D games, who generally prefer 2D pixel art and 2D handdrawn animation over polygons; though they're not averse to using polygon graphics where suitable. Their bread & butter is in 2D sidescrolling platformers, but are comfortable branching out into making other types of games with primarily 2D gameplay (be it top-down, side scrolling etc).

They have an affinity for Saturday Morning Cartoon style characters and settings (as well as tongue-in-cheek parody in general), and while they have worked outside that kind of setting before (Silent Hill: Book of Memories springs to mind), it's clearly their comfort zone. You wouldn't really go to Wayforward expecting them to make a new Eternal Darkness for instance, it's just not what they do.

Finally (and this could be said for western developers in general), but the "Japanese-style" RPG is something that's almost totally alien to Wayforward (Yes I know Sigma Star Saga exists, but that was a weird experimental genre hybrid of a game anyway). They are the last people I would expect (and quite frankly want) to be working on a new Golden Sun. It's just totally outside of their wheelhouse. It's Camelot's baby and nobody else could really do it justice.

Wayforward happened to be a great fit for Advance Wars, and I bet they'd be a great fit for Kurukuru Kururin too. They'd probably do a great job with some of Nintendo's lesser known and more lighthearted IPs, like Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and Startropics; but I wouldn't expect them to work on games like Golden Sun, F-Zero or Sin & Punishment, those genres and settings are just totally outside their area of expertise.

Last edited:
I don't think the people who are asking for them to work on a new Golden Sun really understand what they're asking for here. They're just venting frustration about not getting Golden Sun.

Wayforward have a particular speciality and a particular House Style that is pretty set in stone at this point. They certainly have range as a developer and can work on lots of different types of games (that's what happens when you make a living as a Work-For-Hire developer!), but there's a certain brand of gameplay and visual style that they're clearly most comfortable with.

Wayforward is primarily a developer of 2D games, who generally prefer 2D pixel art and 2D handdrawn animation over polygons; though they're not averse to using polygon graphics where suitable. Their bread & butter is in 2D sidescrolling platformers, but are comfortable branching out into making other types of games with primarily 2D gameplay (be it top-down, side scrolling etc).

They have an affinity for Saturday Morning Cartoon style characters and settings (as well as tongue-in-cheek parody in general), and while they have worked outside that kind of setting before (Silent Hill: Book of Memories springs to mind), it's clearly their comfort zone. You wouldn't really go to Wayforward expecting them to make a new Eternal Darkness for instance, it's just not what they do.

Finally (and this could be said for western developers in general), but the "Japanese-style" RPG is something that's almost totally alien to Wayforward (Yes I know Sigma Star Saga exists, but that was a weird experimental genre hybrid of a game anyway). They are the last people I would expect (and quite frankly want) to be working on a new Golden Sun. It's just totally outside of their wheelhouse. It's Camelot's baby and nobody else could really do it justice.

Wayforward happened to be a great fit for Advance Wars, and I bet they'd be a great fit for Kurukuru Kururin too. They'd probably do a great job with some of Nintendo's lesser known and more lighthearted IPs, like Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and Startropics; but I wouldn't expect them to work on games like Golden Sun, F-Zero or Sin & Punishment, those genres and settings are just totally outside their area of expertise.
To be fair, I’d have said that Advance Wars was outside of their expertise too before Reboot Camp. Same for Image and Form, whose Steamworld series takes on a new genre, including tactical combat and RPGs, every game. Having a strong framework of core mechanics in the original game as a base counts for a lot.

To be fair, I’d have said that Advance Wars was outside of their expertise too before Reboot Camp. Same for Image and Form, whose Steamworld series takes on a new genre, including tactical combat and RPGs, every game. Having a strong framework of core mechanics in the original game as a base counts for a lot.

It isn't really though? The setting is absolutely perfect for Wayforward's house style, and the gameplay is completely 2D.

Yes, they've never worked on a strategy game before, but it's also a remake where they don't actually have to make any new maps either. They just needed to recreate what was already there. If they were ever to work on a strategy game in any form, this was it. They were the perfect candidate.

Before the AW remakes got announced, I would've said that Wayforward would've been a great fit; and it turns out that they were! And Wayforward do have a history of making games across many genres, so the idea of them branching out into something else isn't all that far fetched. But something like Golden Sun is just a branch too far.

It isn't really though? The setting is absolutely perfect for Wayforward's house style, and the gameplay is completely 2D.

Yes, they've never worked on a strategy game before, but it's also a remake where they don't actually have to make any new maps either. They just needed to recreate what was already there. If they were ever to work on a strategy game in any form, this was it. They were the perfect candidate.

Before the AW remakes got announced, I would've said that Wayforward would've been a great fit; and it turns out that they were! And Wayforward do have a history of making games across many genres, so the idea of them branching out into something else isn't all that far fetched. But something like Golden Sun is just a branch too far.
Fair enough. I just thought ‘it’s a remake, they just need to work with what’s already there’ applies to Golden Sun too.

To be honest I didn’t like the 3D look of Golden Sun/TLA at the time (and even less so the later 3DS game) and would be quite happy with a 2D one anyway, but I guess fans of the original art would be even less impressed than those who railed at the loss of AW’s pixel art :D

Last edited:
The scale of assets needed to make a golden sun game (especially 1+2 as a double pack release) is completely out of the region of feasibility for a company like wayforward to make even if they wanted to.

The thing about advance wars that worked out well for them is there are actually only about twenty COs, which basically only have a few simple animations. There are only something like twenty unit types as well, which again have basically a single canned animation.

Golden sun has tons of extended high fidelity (for a GBA game) animations for all the different psyenergy spells and summons, numerous interactable objects on a overworld, 3 rather different different art styles (battle, towns/dungeons, overworld) and a huge cast. There's not really a feasible way for Wayforward as a company to produce something like that, even if they wanted to

Do they talk in the interview about the future of Advance Wars?

Way forward would never talk about that regardless other than something vague yet meaningless like 'we would love to work on it again if the opportunity arose' until Nintendo said something. They may well be as in the dark about how much it's sold as we are.

Quoted by: Leo
Way forward would never talk about that regardless other than something vague yet meaningless like 'we would love to work on it again if the opportunity arose' until Nintendo said something. They may well be as in the dark about how much it's sold as we are.

Yeah I was just wondering if they said at least something vague. They could say they're interested in keeping doing them and that would already make me happy.

But the interview was actually about Kurukuru Kururin, they didn't talk about AW aside from mentioning it.

Golden Sun is one of the more generic rpgs I've played. Anyone could do a beat for beat remake of that, so why not WayForward

I still think they should get Tokyo RPG Factory to do Golden Sun remakes. I Am Setsuna, Lost Sphear and Oninaki looked decent for what they were and probably didn't break the bank. Plus, I bet Square Enix would appreciate if they could keep them busy.

I still think they should get Tokyo RPG Factory to do Golden Sun remakes. I Am Setsuna, Lost Sphear and Oninaki looked decent for what they were and probably didn't break the bank. Plus, I bet Square Enix would appreciate if they could keep them busy.
Yeah, fair pick. Or maybe Cattle Call? They did a good job on The Alliance Alive and some other DS/3DS stuff.

Wayforward would be one of the worst choices for Golden Sun. Right from the beginning, Golden Sun has always tried and cried to be 3D (is easy to notice because of the whole style that Camelot used in the first 2 games), is just that the hardware wasn't quite there. Wayforward on the other hand, always struggles with doing 3D stuff (I mean, Advance Wars is competent but you can't tell me that its 3D models are a particular looker), not to mention that they don't have a lot of experience with puzzles and dungeons that are Golden Sun's strength.

I think Grezzo might actually be a better fit here considering how close they are to Nintendo (Then again, I don't know what they're doing right now).

Wayforward would be one of the worst choices for Golden Sun. Right from the beginning, Golden Sun has always tried and cried to be 3D (is easy to notice because of the whole style that Camelot used in the first 2 games), is just that the hardware wasn't quite there. Wayforward on the other hand, always struggles with doing 3D stuff (I mean, Advance Wars is competent but you can't tell me that its 3D models are a particular looker), not to mention that they don't have a lot of experience with puzzles and dungeons that are Golden Sun's strength.

I think Grezzo might actually be a better fit here considering how close they are to Nintendo (Then again, I don't know what they're doing right now).
Good shout again.

Nope! You Golden Sun haters just have terrible taste.

You're going to have to tell me more about how I hate golden sun when I've bought them day 1 every opportunity... Which admittedly is only 5 instances over the entire series, but still.

The series is just aggressively middle of the road and on a platform where it's not almost the only new RPG it won't be a standout at all. The whole series is the most aggressively 7 or 8 of 10 JRPG series I can think of. Having a turn based RPG with some simple Zelda esque puzzles on the overworld is nice, but as it stands Golden sun would be weaker than its contemporaries on switch in terms of both the actual bones behind its turn based JRPG systems and as a Zelda lite, so...

Given Golden Sun is on the upcoming slate for GBA NSO I can't imagine it'll be seeing a remake in the immediate future anyhow (and it definitely doesn't feel like a good fit for WayForward in particular); maybe on the next hardware. The series in general is in a difficult spot though given Camelot themselves haven't been doing too hot in recent years; bleeding staff year by year despite putting out hiring calls. I'm sure the Takahashi brothers would want a role in the production even if development were primarily outsourced to a different studio though.

Remaking the GBA games together is a novel concept though, given they were originally envisioned as a single N64 game. Brings things circle in a way most remake or port compilations don't get the opportunity to. Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars set a decent precedence for duologies getting remade together, so hey, eventually it'll have to be Golden Sun's turn. As for WayForward I still stand by what I said earlier; Kururin is more in their wheelhouse. They could handle making one complete package out of the two GBA games and Squash, or even a brand new one.

You're going to have to tell me more about how I hate golden sun when I've bought them day 1 every opportunity... Which admittedly is only 5 instances over the entire series, but still.

The series just aggressively mid and on a platform where it's not almost the only new RPG it won't be a standout at all. The whole series is the most aggressively 7 or 8 of 10 JRPG series I can think of.
Eh, pretty sure there are much more average JRPG examples (already cited some of them).

GS haters are just too hyperbolic.

I realise it’s not a Nintendo series (although I associate it strongly with their platforms), but after their work on Contra 4, which was a stunning DS game, I’d love to see Wayforward take that on again. Given that Konami’s last entry was just a mess.

Still, there’s been shedloads of great indie run-and-gun games since.

I feel like people underrate studios in cases like this. It's not like they're designing from scratch and they can have the original devs in an oversight position. If you told people that a Texan developer can do a loved Japanese game well, you would get laughed out of the room. And then they did it to much acclaim (there are actually multiple examples here, so take your pick). Hell, looking at Wayforward's site, they never done a strategy game prior to Reboot Camp.

But WF doing Golden Sun is just a suggestion. As I mentioned before, anyone could do a Reboot Camp style remake. GS isn't a complicated RPG at all, and probably needs more changes than anything

I'd love to see a new lower budget Kuru Kuru Kururin title! Played the game on NSO in February and it's such a wird and fun concept. Other than that I'd feel 2D Wario would fit well for WayForward

Back
Top Bottom