• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion With Advance Wars out, if Nintendo were to work with WayForward again what would you like to see? (Update: MinnMax Interview With WF Director!)

Golden Sun isn't getting touched by anyone except for Camelot. It's their baby and Nintendo wouldn't dare to palm it off to someone else and risk ruining their relationship (again) with Camelot; nor is there any incentive for them to do so.

Camelot have made exactly 1 game in the last 23 years that wasn't published and financed by Nintendo, what exactly do you mean ruining their relationship?

Camelot would be shut down if they ever pissed off Nintendo, the mario sports games are the only thing keeping the companies doors open, they have zero leverage whatsoever if Nintendo chose to pass golden sun on to someone else.

They won't, because the franchise was a dead end with dark dawn being such an extended development and underwhelming sales, that it would be outright better for them to just create a new IP, but still.

Camelot have made exactly 1 game in the last 23 years that wasn't published and financed by Nintendo, what exactly do you mean ruining their relationship?

Camelot would be shut down if they ever pissed off Nintendo, the mario sports games are the only thing keeping the companies doors open, they have zero leverage whatsoever if Nintendo chose to pass golden sun on to someone else.

They won't, because the franchise was a dead end with dark dawn being such an extended development and underwhelming sales, that it would be outright better for them to just create a new IP, but still.

Camelot split off from Nintendo some time between 2006-2007 after some behind-the-scenes disagreements; which lead to them making the cancelled PC Golf MMO "I Love Golf" (which eventually morphed into We Love Golf, which was published by Capcom). It was also around this time that Camelot lost a lot of staff that made their classic titles (including Shining Force and Golden Sun/TLA). It took a lot of cajoling from Iwata to convince the Takahashi brothers to come back to Nintendo, which included giving them the chance to make Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

Of course, nowerdays Camelot isn't the powerhouse developer it once was; it's a small scale company that didn't expand enough during the late 2000s/early 2010s and certainly couldn't make AAA HD console games on their own anymore, but they're still a valuable partner to Nintendo that they wouldn't want to lose.

It's also worth noting that the Takahashi brothers are quite well known for splitting off from long-term partners unamicably... Both SEGA and Sony pissed them off so much that they never worked with them again, so it's quite the miracle that Iwata managed to get them back on board!

Last edited:
Wario for sure, something like this would be awesome (mockup by @snakepixel)

Fu366hYWcAM3osU
yes let Wayford do the next Warioland

Camelot split off from Nintendo some time between 2006-2007 after some behind-the-scenes disagreements; which lead to them making the cancelled PC Golf MMO "I Love Golf" (which eventually morphed into We Love Golf, which was published by Capcom). It was also around this time that Camelot lost a lot of staff that made their classic titles (including Shining Force and Golden Sun/TLA). It took a lot of cajoling from Iwata to convince the Takahashi brothers to come back to Nintendo, which included giving them the chance to make Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

Of course, nowerdays Camelot isn't the powerhouse developer it once was; it's a small scale company that didn't expand enough during the late 2000s/early 2010s and certainly couldn't make AAA HD console games on their own anymore, but they're still a valuable partner to Nintendo that they wouldn't want to lose.
Nah, if Nintendo needed to find someone else to make Mario sports, they will. Those games don't sell on Camelot's name and pedigree, the company is disposable. Nintendo isn't going to act on GS simply because they don't care that much and the IP is co-owned by Camelot.

Advance Wars Reboot Camp released roughly ten days ago and it seems largely Advance Wars fans are happy. While I have mixed feelings about the game board presentation (if they had an option at least to resemble the original view I’d be cool with it), the rest of WayForward’s work, the new animations, the revamped music, reworked structure, small gameplay tweaks (fog of war AI quirks in particular), and new online play, are all excellent.

WayForward has been around for a long time and has done a mix of original games like Shantae and licensed games like most recently the River City Girls games. I’ll link their wikipedia page here if you need a refresher on their history.

My question for this thread now is if Nintendo were to work with WayForward again, what games would you like to see from them? Aside from the obvious pick of a Dual Strike rerelease to complete the trilogy and the real dream of a brand new Advance Wars game, I think I’d most like to see WayForward handle a new Wario Land game. WayForward has a good handle on action filled platformers given their work on Shantae and they have experience in a variety of styles for 2D games.

I don’t want to fill the thread up with too many of my ideas at the start, so I’ll turn it over to you Fami, what Nintendo games/series would you like to see WayForward work on next?

A Zelda 2 remake with beautiful 2D graphics.

I need to remind people that Wayforward did have a small Nintendo consulting team for AW Reboot Camp, going off the credits. It's very likely closer to how the Samus Returns -> Metroid Dread situation went.

So we should likely expect their next project with Nintendo to be a new AW game. I'm still saying they're going to lean into the "reboot" thing and make an "alternate sequel" of sorts to AW, bringing some stuff from Dual Strike but basically being a new game.
Yeah, as much as there's fans of Dual Strike and Days of Ruin, they weren't exactly high points for the franchise in terms of how they sold (and AW wasn't exactly a strong performer that way to begin with). I want to chalk that up to progressively pushing away from the aesthetic the series has maintained since the original Famicom Wars (anywhere between slightly to extremely cartoony and goofy), but I'm sure there's another factor at play. But it's tough to deny that Days of Ruin was basically Nintendo's 2nd* "Bomberman Zero" moment, taking something cute or playful and casting a grimdark shadow over it because reasons.

* (for those who don't know, the first time they did this, IMO, was with Custom Robo on GC)

EDIT: Case in point on the goofy factor:
8ebd335f09a9b07a1b0361e37b153512a194d643.gif
5068e310f9a0a0b20c81d6db26b77a99ded2e643.gif

EDIT 2: And more to the point, with a brand-new game entry, it gives Nintendo an opportunity to try and sell the franchise in Japan again, since Wars has constantly been at a disadvantage in gaining a consumer base in Japan from minute one and a new entry is a good opportunity to try again.

Last edited:
Yeah, as much as there's fans of Dual Strike and Days of Ruin, they weren't exactly high points for the franchise in terms of how they sold (and AW wasn't exactly a strong performer that way to begin with). I want to chalk that up to progressively pushing away from the aesthetic the series has maintained since the original Famicom Wars (anywhere between slightly to extremely cartoony and goofy), but I'm sure there's another factor at play. But it's tough to deny that Days of Ruin was basically Nintendo's 2nd* "Bomberman Zero" moment, taking something cute or playful and casting a grimdark shadow over it because reasons.

* (for those who don't know, the first time they did this, IMO, was with Custom Robo on GC)

I'd hardly call Days of Ruin "grimdark". It features a similar tone as the Fire Emblem games do, and a good number of its villains are outright saturday morning cartoon characatures ("The Beast" in particular springs to mind).

And there's a good reason why IS decided to change up the series formula. First off, we just had 3 very similar games back to back; with two "more of the same" sequels being pumped out in a 4 year period following the original AW. So we were due something radically different at the time as we were starting to see some Mega Man esc series fatigue setting in. Secondly, AWDS was fairly heavily critisised for its Everything-And-The-Kitchen-Sink approach; with very poor gameplay balancing compared to its GBA predecessors; as such, DOR was meant to be a Back-To-Basics reboot that dialed back the ridiculously broken Double Super Co Powers and silly power creep that dogged Dual Strike.

Get the rights for Shining in the Holy Ark, and have them remake it (I think Golden sun fans would be happy).

I'd hardly call Days of Ruin "grimdark". It features a similar tone as the Fire Emblem games do, and a good number of its villains are outright saturday morning cartoon characatures ("The Beast" in particular springs to mind).

I mean, at one point you get to see a huge chunk of your army including the leader up to that point murdered by nuclear explosion, the villain of the game is outright poisoning people with a virus that causes them to have plants sprout from their bodies until it kills them, and his backstory is that he's one of many clones where he murdered the rest and the original. And that's just things I vaguely remember from playing it way back when it released

By advance wars standards, it is an extremely dark story in comparison.

In terms of the gameplay changes, we can agree they were sorely needed and AWDS did go way too far with being an unbalanced mess, but that's a separate point.

Days of Ruin was praised for its change in tone because it worked. It didn't kill Advance Wars, the series was already dead by then.
I have to admit, while Dark Conflict was dark compared to the previous games, I don’t really associate it being being so due to the trend for grimdark home console games at the time. To me it was just a bit less awkward in a strategy game where you’ve got bombers and artillery reducing cities to dust. Which is likely why Way Forward went for presentation that makes AW look even more like an abstract board game with toy soldiers (which is totally fine!).

Days of Ruin killed the IP for 15 years, it was very clearly NOT the right direction to take the series. It doesn't matter if the game reviewed well and some people liked the change in direction, it did not lead to sales success. Also we need to shut down this narrative that Advance Wars Dual Strike was some poorly received game.

The game received universal praise at launch from critics and fans alike. Fun fact DS has a higher critic average then DoR.

Days of Ruin was praised for its change in tone because it worked. It didn't kill Advance Wars, the series was already dead by then.
This is nonsense. We saw that an "already dead" franchise could successful revitalize itself with an amazing shift in Fire Emblem Awakening from the same studio. DoR was the inverse, an attempt to revitalize a franchise that did so terribly it forced the ip to become dormant.

EDIT: Case in point on the goofy factor:
8ebd335f09a9b07a1b0361e37b153512a194d643.gif
5068e310f9a0a0b20c81d6db26b77a99ded2e643.gif

EDIT 2: And more to the point, with a brand-new game entry, it gives Nintendo an opportunity to try and sell the franchise in Japan again, since Wars has constantly been at a disadvantage in gaining a consumer base in Japan from minute one and a new entry is a good opportunity to try again.

This is also EXTREMELY disingenuous. All you did was show gifs from 1 game (super famicom wars). I agree that DoR went away from the aesthetic that had worked with it's dark/serious tone, arguing that the 2 GBA and DS entry didn't have similar goofy tones to the 90's titles is not true. The SNES game is the only entry to have that level of goofy unit animations in the gifs you shared, and you conveniently ignored how SFW CO's were relatively more serious in design to the AW cast. AW having the fun soldiers jumping on buildings to capture them is the gba equivalent of what they were doing on the SNES, only a lot snappier which kept the games pace up.

Last edited:
I've said it before that Days of Ruin's biggest failing was its graphics and artstyle, becuase it's just a downright ugly game and not really fun to play for that reason. There was a large amount of 'thematical whiplash' when the new game was revealed for sure, but people would have adapted I think if it just looked better. It's a shame because gameplay-wise it's probably the best in the series and the story was pretty decent (you can definitely see the origins of modern Fire Emblem it).

My biggest beef with it as a fan was it had no War Room, which was frankly inexcusable. Massively hampered its replayability.

Days of Ruin killed the IP for 15 years, it was very clearly NOT the right direction to take the series. It doesn't matter if the game reviewed well and some people liked the change in direction, it did not lead to sales success. Also we need to shut down this narrative that Advance Wars Dual Strike was some poorly received game.

Days of ruin didn't kill the IP, it was a last desperate gasp to save it because they felt it was unsustainable selling like it was. This would have been around the same time they were being told they also needed to get Fire emblems sales up or it'd be canned as well. That it didn't work as an attempt to revitalise sales is why the series found itself on an extended hiatus. Dual strike 2 would have had the exact same result.

Last edited:
Dual Strike did its own damage, no lies detected, but the solution was not to make a dying IP even deader.
AWDS2 would have been a mistake, as well, but I'd say not as big as what we got.

And really, why re-visit the past any more than we already have? The remake of the best-selling AW game is looking pretty likely to become the best-selling entry in the entire franchise, the next step probably shouldn't be remakes of the games that squandered what little potential it originally had.

The game received universal praise at launch from critics and fans alike. Fun fact DS has a higher critic average then DoR.
and Days of Ruin got an 86. so what? it's not like Dual Strike was a commercial success. Fire Emblem was sitting on a higher pedestal than Advance Wars was so it had more wiggle room and capability to recover than AW had

Dual Strike did its own damage, no lies detected, but the solution was not to make a dying IP even deader.
AWDS2 would have been a mistake, as well, but I'd say not as big as what we got.

And really, why re-visit the past any more than we already have? The remake of the best-selling AW game is looking pretty likely to become the best-selling entry in the entire franchise, the next step probably shouldn't be remakes of the games that squandered what little potential it originally had.
just because Dual Strike 2 wouldn't have been as big a flop doesn't mean the series probably wouldn't be sitting on ice for 15 years. dead and deader don't have any practical distinction

and Days of Ruin got an 86. so what? it's not like Dual Strike was a commercial success. Fire Emblem was sitting on a higher pedestal than Advance Wars was so it had more wiggle room and capability to recover than AW had

just because Dual Strike 2 wouldn't have been as big a flop doesn't mean the series probably wouldn't be sitting on ice for 15 years. dead and deader don't have any practical distinction
The point is the right refresh could have revitalized the series, instead they drove a stake through it's heart with Days of Ruin. DS2 wasn't the right answer either, as the series was having diminishing sales with the direction it was going, but we can now say with hindsight DoR was a disaster for the IP.

Also FE was doing "so well" at the time that New Mystery wasn't even localized for the west. Both AW and FE were in a bad place in the late 00's.

The point is the right refresh could have revitalized the series, instead they drove a stake through it's heart with Days of Ruin. DS2 wasn't the right answer either, as the series was having diminishing sales with the direction it was going, but we can now say with hindsight DoR was a disaster for the IP.

Also FE was doing "so well" at the time that New Mystery wasn't even localized for the west. Both AW and FE were in a bad place in the late 00's.
you can't even quantify that "disaster" to even call it such. did DoR sell worse because it was vehemently disliked? well we know it wasn't, the game is acclaimed by critics and fans alike. or did it sell worse because people were already disinterested in the IP? I think you're working backwards just because DoR was the last game before the hiatus.

Days of Ruin is a fun game with a lot of quality and effort behind it. I appreciated the different tone (and it was a direction IS had already been leaning given Dual Strike, while still cartoonish, wasn't as overtly silly and lightweight as the GBA games in its narrative).

I don't know if Days of Ruin is a game WF would be at all interested in remaking, but it deserves a modern release of some sort.

My biggest beef with Days of Ruin is that it had fantastic music that was horrifically compressed on the DS and dare I say, ruined. I'd almost want a remake just to fix that.

Anyway yeah like half the thread I'm going for the obvious pick of Wario Land. It's such a good match though.

I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Days Of Ruin had a darker story. The game isn't dark, the game is edgy. There is a difference there and it's important.

It's not more mature, and it's not really going into darker places. It's edge. The entire thing reads like the writers where channeling their inner teenage MCR fan while doing the plot, and it shows. It's still absolutely dissonant for a war game, but in a different way AW1/2/DS were.

I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Days Of Ruin had a darker story. The game isn't dark, the game is edgy. There is a difference there and it's important.

It's not more mature, and it's not really going into darker places. It's edge. The entire thing reads like the writers where channeling their inner teenage MCR fan while doing the plot, and it shows. It's still absolutely dissonant for a war game, but in a different way AW1/2/DS were.
Yeah fair point

Zelda 2 remake

I know remake is a relative concept, but tbh, rather than having WayForward doing that, I would like a project some time down the line where a different studio just reimagines Zelda 2 from the ground up in the style of OoT/MM/WW/TP/SS. I think that would be way more interesting than releasing a title under the Zelda name today with its 2D action design.

Alternatively, a reimagining in the style of top-down Zeldas would be cool too! Grezzo, where u at?

I know it's an extremely tall order but I'm going to allow myself to dream!

Has there been any indication of how successful the remake has been? I’d quietly resigned myself to the franchise being put on the scrap heap after the delay, but based on some of the replies here it sounds like it’s doing okay?

I would love to see a new Advance Wars using the experience they got from doing the remake with some input from Intelligent Systems. I agree with all the mentions of Wario Land as well.

Last edited:
Has there been any indication of how successful the remake has been? I’d quietly resigned myself to the franchise being put on the scrap heap after the delay, but based on some of the replies here it sounds like it’s doing okay?

I would love to see a new Advance Wars using the expertise they got from doing the remake with some input from Intelligent Systems. I agree with all the mentions of Wario Land as well.
I don’t know if it still is, but it seems to be both sold out and #1 on the eshop. 🤞that’s enough to make stuff happen.

I would love to see a new Advance Wars using the expertise they got from doing the remake with some input from Intelligent Systems. I agree with all the mentions of Wario Land as well.

We won't know if it sold over a million for months yet, but it charted very well on the eshop for an extended period from launch in both NA and EU regions, which bodes well for it.

The game literally starts with a lead character digging out of a mess hall he had been buried in for weeks after an apocalyptic event and acknowledges that many, many people died without reveling in that. It may be edgier than earlier games, but it is absolutely darker and doesn't treat its events like a Saturday morning cartoon.

It's kind of funny we're talking about Day of Ruin being this radical departure when that was the trend of these games starting from Advance Wars. Advance Wars treats the whole world in a silly way but Black Hole Rising and Dual Strike both get progresively darker in the story. Black Hole treats war fairly seriously in the campaign even if the villains are still Saturday Morning Cartoon villains and Dual Strike does have some more serious moments and tries to treat the franchise seriously. Day of Ruin was going to happen in some form or another since that was the direction the series was heading in.

Also given how I've seen polls for the three games, Black Hole Rising, Dual Strike, and Day of Ruin all have equal amounts of fans because all 3 excel in different ways. I'm not really sure why we're working backwards to say that Days of Ruin is unpopular because honestly this is not a franchise that is going to sell high numbers. I think we should be ecstatic if Re-Boot Camp sells 500k copies because it has never been a high profile series. Just one with a very dedicated fanbase.

The game literally starts with a lead character digging out of a mess hall he had been buried in for weeks after an apocalyptic event and acknowledges that many, many people died without reveling in that. It may be edgier than earlier games, but it is absolutely darker and doesn't treat its events like a Saturday morning cartoon.

And then suddenly we have the deadly virus that makes flowers grow from inside your body.

Seriously, the entire plot is just the kind of edgy fanfiction you write on your teenage emo phase.

And then suddenly we have the deadly virus that makes flowers grow from inside your body.

Seriously, the entire plot is just the kind of edgy fanfiction you write on your teenage emo phase.
It's a sci-fi story with body horror. Nothing specifically teenage emo about that.

I mean, is that any different from giant blobs of ooze that consume everything in its path? Or an evil plan to turn everything and everyone into energy to feed an incredibly old man via his chair? This franchise during the DS era was on a weird science kink.

Nothing about the game was "edgy fanfiction", honestly. Unless "we will take this weird concept with a tiniest amount of seriousness" is edgy.

I mean, is that any different from giant blobs of ooze that consume everything in its path? Or an evil plan to turn everything and everyone into energy to feed an incredibly old man via his chair? This franchise during the DS era was on a weird science kink.

Nothing about the game was "edgy fanfiction", honestly. Unless "we will take this weird concept with a tiniest amount of seriousness" is edgy.
Yeah. There's a world of difference in tone between introducing the protagonist as a desperate young soldier digging his way out of destruction and introducing them as a happy-go-lucky kid that doesn't know what an airport is.

Yeah. There's a world of difference in tone between introducing the protagonist as a desperate young soldier digging his way out of destruction and introducing them as a happy-go-lucky kid that doesn't know what an airport is.
Honestly it's kind of weird we still use AW1's personality traits as the defining one since from 2 onwards most of the cast kind of just...loses them. Olaf and Kanbei aren't idiot commanders who don't know how to command an army, Sonja's worst traits get thrown onto Lash (and even Re-Boot camp softens those up in 1's campaign), and Eagle isn't that gung-ho in AW2. Hell, even Andy gets more intelligent in 2 (though granted he still is an idiot and needs to know what continents are).

Honestly it's kind of weird we still use AW1's personality traits as the defining one since from 2 onwards most of the cast kind of just...loses them. Olaf and Kanbei aren't idiot commanders who don't know how to command an army, Sonja's worst traits get thrown onto Lash (and even Re-Boot camp softens those up in 1's campaign), and Eagle isn't that gung-ho in AW2. Hell, even Andy gets more intelligent in 2 (though granted he still is an idiot and needs to know what continents are).
It is true what they say in that you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. And that first impression really colored the notion of who the AW characters are, for better or worse. It's good that Re-Boot Camp tried to clean some of that up, though.

Personally I think all the characters in Reboot Camp sound way more over the top than they did in the original game, especially Sonja.

Dual Strike DLC. I'll pay $29.99, just do it!
I really think there’s a chance they will, though with Nintendo I’d expect $15-20. It’s what, 7 CO’s, 5 units, 10 or so songs. Doesn’t have to be a full campaign either, do a remix mini one, and round out the edges with warroom

There's enough different about Dual Strike (particularly in the mechanics of the dual-battlefields across the DS's two screens) that I wonder if Dual Strike DLC would really be that straightforward.

There's enough different about Dual Strike (particularly in the mechanics of the dual-battlefields across the DS's two screens) that I wonder if Dual Strike DLC would really be that straightforward.
I mean, the game has a zoom function unlike the originals so map size isn’t an issue. There’s already ruleset options between 1/2 with stuff being locked or modded between the 2. Biggest question is how they would tweak the DS CO’s to be usable in AW1/2 rulesets.

Back
Top Bottom