• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion With Advance Wars out, if Nintendo were to work with WayForward again what would you like to see? (Update: MinnMax Interview With WF Director!)

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
Advance Wars Reboot Camp released roughly ten days ago and it seems largely Advance Wars fans are happy. While I have mixed feelings about the game board presentation (if they had an option at least to resemble the original view I’d be cool with it), the rest of WayForward’s work, the new animations, the revamped music, reworked structure, small gameplay tweaks (fog of war AI quirks in particular), and new online play, are all excellent.

WayForward has been around for a long time and has done a mix of original games like Shantae and licensed games like most recently the River City Girls games. I’ll link their wikipedia page here if you need a refresher on their history.

My question for this thread now is if Nintendo were to work with WayForward again, what games would you like to see from them? Aside from the obvious pick of a Dual Strike rerelease to complete the trilogy and the real dream of a brand new Advance Wars game, I think I’d most like to see WayForward handle a new Wario Land game. WayForward has a good handle on action filled platformers given their work on Shantae and they have experience in a variety of styles for 2D games.

I don’t want to fill the thread up with too many of my ideas at the start, so I’ll turn it over to you Fami, what Nintendo games/series would you like to see WayForward work on next?

Let Wayforward make their Metroid game.
That was my next pick after Wario. I think they’d do a great job and it’d be super rad to have even more Metroid games provided Retro and MercurySteam keep making Metroid too.

Advance Wars Reboot Camp released roughly ten days ago and it seems largely Advance Wars fans are happy. While I have mixed feelings about the game board presentation (if they had an option at least to resemble the original view I’d be cool with it), the rest of WayForward’s work, the new animations, the revamped music, reworked structure, small gameplay tweaks (fog of war AI quirks in particular), and new online play, are all excellent.

WayForward has been around for a long time and has done a mix of original games like Shantae and licensed games like most recently the River City Girls games. I’ll link their wikipedia page here if you need a refresher on their history.

My question for this thread now is if Nintendo were to work with WayForward again, what games would you like to see from them? Aside from the obvious pick of a Dual Strike rerelease to complete the trilogy and the real dream of a brand new Advance Wars game, I think I’d most like to see WayForward handle a new Wario Land game. WayForward has a good handle on action filled platformers given their work on Shantae and they have experience in a variety of styles for 2D games.

I don’t want to fill the thread up with too many of my ideas at the start, so I’ll turn it over to you Fami, what Nintendo games/series would you like to see WayForward work on next?
I kinda see the advanced Wars remake as an audition to make a new game, like Mercurysteam did with remaking metroid 2 before they got to make metroid 5. So I think they are probably working on a new advance wars if anything.

I kinda see the advanced Wars remake as an audition to make a new game, like Mercurysteam did with remaking metroid 2 before they got to make metroid 5. So I think they are probably working on a new advance wars if anything.
Make it Battalion Wars and I'm all in.

Mummy Demastered was excellent, so I think Way Forward could indeed hit it out of the park with a new 2D Metroid. Heck, just give them any 2D platformer. Yoshi, Wario, Starfy, they could all work.

Golden Sun remake of the first two games, if only for the salt.

Also a new Advance wars game set after dual strike would be solid(maybe do a timeskip)

I’m gonna throw out a couple of off the wall ideas because I feel the best way to work with indie devs would be to give the Nintendo IP for one of their style of games. Brace Yourself and Cadence of a Hyrule was a match made in Heaven so want something like that.

Mighty Switch Force style game in the Splatoon universe or Mighty Milky Way with a Mario Galaxy or Yoshi’s Island theme (think Raphael the Raven). Those two game play styles work well with those franchises, and the Nintendo touch would really flesh out and expand the ideas.

I’m sure there’d be a way forward for them to make something cool now that this project is finally out the door.

Personally, I don't like Wayforward's art style. They have games that looks like a Flash game. Shantae is OK but the recent ones looks meh. The one I enjoyed the most is the 3DS game.

Personally, I don't like Wayforward's art style. They have games that looks like a Flash game. Shantae is OK but the recent ones looks meh. The one I enjoyed the most is the 3DS game.
They made loads of cool pixel art games on DS, plus more recently The Mummy Demastered. I’d like them to do stuff more like that.

Wario Land has been a property I'd like to see them tackle for a while now as well. I think they'd be a good match!

Wario for sure, something like this would be awesome (mockup by @snakepixel)

Fu366hYWcAM3osU

I'd love to see Wayforward try their hand at remaking the first two Golden Sun games.
I think they’d be great at the art side of it. Not so sure the rpg mechanics though? I have to admit I wasn’t overly keen on the original djinn system when I played them though, I thought it felt a bit clumsy compared to various other ‘every character has one or more magic pals supporting them’ rpgs. Still, why not. It would be great to see it again, I’m surprised it hasn’t returned already.

This is how I see it as well. With the relative success we’re seeing this release have, it makes sense for WF to make a new entry in the series.

Yeah I hope so. Reboot Camp must have gained them really solid insight into how tight AW’s ruleset is, it leaves me optimistic for WayForward taking on a new game for the series.

Last edited:
Yeah I hope so. Reboot Camp must have gained them really solid insight into how tight AW’s ruleset is, it would make me optimistic for WayForward taking on a new game for the series.
Even if they did it in conjunction and with oversight from a tiny handful of folks at IntSys, that'd be fine. Chances are pretty good that WF consulted someone in the original production team at some point or another, even if only briefly.

Yeah Reboot Camp definitely feels like a Samus Returns situation in which it's treated as an 'audition' of sorts for whether the studio can handle a full new instalment. And I would say that reception critically and from fans as a whole have been positive enough, and early indications on the sales front are strong enough, to permit WayForward to have a crack at a new instalment if they wanted to.

Outside of Advance Wars though, I echo sentiments that a Wario Land in the Shantae style would be pretty sweet. Or going further, a Wario + Shantae game in which they deal with a pirate alliance between Risky Boots and Captain Syrup.

Regarding the Golden Sun suggestions, I still wonder if the best case for it would be to try and wrangle one of SquareEnix's many RPG teams to do an HD upgrade of the original two games with voiceacting and modern trimmings and whatnot. Kinda surprised Nintendo haven't bitten on that idea already given how well the likes Octopath and Live A Live have performed.

Yeah Reboot Camp definitely feels like a Samus Returns situation in which it's treated as an 'audition' of sorts for whether the studio can handle a full new instalment. And I would say that reception critically and from fans as a whole have been positive enough, and early indications on the sales front are strong enough, to permit WayForward to have a crack at a new instalment if they wanted to.

Outside of Advance Wars though, I echo sentiments that a Wario Land in the Shantae style would be pretty sweet. Or going further, a Wario + Shantae game in which they deal with a pirate alliance between Risky Boots and Captain Syrup.

Regarding the Golden Sun suggestions, I still wonder if the best case for it would be to try and wrangle one of SquareEnix's many RPG teams to do an HD upgrade of the original two games with voiceacting and modern trimmings and whatnot. Kinda surprised Nintendo haven't bitten on that idea already given how well the likes Octopath and Live A Live have performed.
Golden Sun as 2DHD would be amazing. Honestly at this point it’s my preference for updating legacy rpgs for both old fans and new players, I’ve loved all of them so far.

Golden Sun as 2DHD would be amazing. Honestly at this point it’s my preference for updating legacy rpgs for both old fans and new players, I’ve loved all of them so far.
2DHD hasn't been done with a game that use "3d sprites" like Mario RPG or Golden Sun. I'm not sure the engine would work as well with games in that art style.

Even if they did it in conjunction and with oversight from a tiny handful of folks at IntSys, that'd be fine. Chances are pretty good that WF consulted someone in the original production team at some point or another, even if only briefly.

3 people from IS were involved in AW1&2 RBC (their exact role isn’t listed in the credits, but it’s almost certainly a general supervisory role); otherwise it was entirely a WayForward production with no input from Nintendo or IS.

TBH, I’d be a bit suspect about Wayforward making a brand new AW on their own. The quality of the level design in their own games ranges from mediocre to good… but even good wouldn‘t cut it for a brand new AW game. AW games really live and die by the quality of their map design (as does Wario Land) and it really needs to be nothing less than sensational… which I think may be beyond Wayforward’s capability on their own. They were fine making AW 1&2 RBC because they didn’t actually need to do any level design on their part, the maps were already there. But I‘d have serious doubts about their ability to design brand new maps that could live up to the series’ legacy.

TBH, I’d be a bit suspect about Wayforward making a brand new AW on their own. The quality of the level design in their own games ranges from mediocre to good… but even good wouldn‘t cut it for a brand new AW game. AW games really live and die by the quality of their map design (as does Wario Land) and it really needs to be nothing less than sensational… which I think may be beyond Wayforward’s capability on their own. They were fine making AW 1&2 RBC because they didn’t actually need to do any level design on their part, the maps were already there. But I‘d have serious doubts about their ability to design brand new maps that could live up to the series’ legacy.

For a new game Nintendo would most likely have them work together with a small IS team that would be in charge of the map design, just like Metroid Dread had Sakamoto's team.

2DHD hasn't been done with a game that use "3d sprites" like Mario RPG or Golden Sun. I'm not sure the engine would work as well with games in that art style.
You haven't seen the myriad of sprites + normal map games yet? It's far from a new style

In any case, the one thing I don't expect is 2D. They didn't go with 2D for Advance Wars, I don't see them greenlighting 2D Wario, Golden Sun, or whatever

I think Nintendo should look more to games like Bravely Default 2 for how a potential Golden Sun remake could look and play, as those games a pretty similar in terms of core gameplay (top down, large overworld with smaller towns/dungeons, turn based battle encounters). Wouldn't cost the world so it's less of a financial gamble and would be a good taster for how a new game might look and play.
3 people from IS were involved in AW1&2 RBC (their exact role isn’t listed in the credits, but it’s almost certainly a general supervisory role); otherwise it was entirely a WayForward production with no input from Nintendo or IS.

Definitely not dismissing your concerns outright, but people had similar thoughts with Samus Returns and whether Mercury Steam had the chops to make their own new one, yet Nintendo definitely gave them the resources and expertise to make it a great game. I don't think they'd leave WayForward completely alone and would look to bring in some of the old guard for advisory roles at least.

Regardless, WayForward brought Advance Wars back from the dead, and it's clear from the remakes they care a lot for the IP. They definitely deserve first dibs on a new one, especially if IS are still preoccupied with Fire Emblem and Paper Mario.

My 2 picks have been mentioned in Wario Land (or others) and Golden Sun. Give them Yoshi's Island lol.

I need to remind people that Wayforward did have a small Nintendo consulting team for AW Reboot Camp, going off the credits. It's very likely closer to how the Samus Returns -> Metroid Dread situation went.

So we should likely expect their next project with Nintendo to be a new AW game. I'm still saying they're going to lean into the "reboot" thing and make an "alternate sequel" of sorts to AW, bringing some stuff from Dual Strike but basically being a new game.

I need to remind people that Wayforward did have a small Nintendo consulting team for AW Reboot Camp, going off the credits. It's very likely closer to how the Samus Returns -> Metroid Dread situation went.

So we should likely expect their next project with Nintendo to be a new AW game. I'm still saying they're going to lean into the "reboot" thing and make an "alternate sequel" of sorts to AW, bringing some stuff from Dual Strike but basically being a new game.
Yeah that seems like a good Way Forward (sorry!)

Echoing all the Wario Land comments here, and this in particular
Or going further, a Wario + Shantae game in which they deal with a pirate alliance between Risky Boots and Captain Syrup.
would be an absolute delight.

For a new game Nintendo would most likely have them work together with a small IS team that would be in charge of the map design, just like Metroid Dread had Sakamoto's team.

Yeah, that’s the approach I’d expect them to take if WayForward were to make a brand new AW game. One of Metroid Dread’s directors (Takehiko Hosokawa) was a lead level designer on Metroid Zero Mission and his influence really shows in the the final product.

Honestly I don’t really see golden sun coming from them, if anything’s it’s from Camelot who has had Bassicaly nothing to show recently with their main Mario games already being out.

Personally, I echo Wario Land. IMO there's no need for them to do anything with Metroid if MercurySteam is still around.

Though, I think AW fans deserve a little more after all those years first.

Overall, I'm just really happy to see them finally working together. WF deserves the kind of budget + time Nintendo takes to get their projects right.

Honestly I don’t really see golden sun coming from them, if anything’s it’s from Camelot who has had Bassicaly nothing to show recently with their main Mario games already being out.
If it's just a remaster collection literally anyone can work on that. If that collection does well and leads to Nintendo wanting a 4th GS title, that's when things get iffy with Camelot.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't a Metroid/MercurySteam situation where the remake is basically a testbed for them to prove whether they can do a new one. I personally wouldn't mind more AW over other games as I'm not a massive fan of their sidescrollers. They're not bad but there are imo better candidates.

You know, if a new Advance wars game gets greenlit by Nintendo, I’m curious to see what freedom(and what oversight) they get. Like if they’re allowed to move forward in the timeline and redesign the returning characters, what freedom in new CO design they get, and units/unit aesthetic. Shrug something to contemplate

Camelot will probably supervise and mandate any changes if necessary

You know, if a new Advance wars game gets greenlit by Nintendo, I’m curious to see what freedom(and what oversight) they get. Like if they’re allowed to move forward in the timeline and redesign the returning characters, what freedom in new CO design they get, and units/unit aesthetic. Shrug something to contemplate
same for Intelligent Systems. would be more of a co-production than having total control, methinks

Camelot will probably supervise and mandate any changes if necessary

same for Intelligent Systems. would be more of a co-production than having total control, methinks
Honestly they would probably develop it themselves unless they move been working on the next Mario tennis for the next console since then, and I really doubt Mario tennis is gonna take the same time as odyssey to make.

Honestly they would probably develop it themselves unless they move been working on the next Mario tennis for the next console since then, and I really doubt Mario tennis is gonna take the same time as odyssey to make.
they probably want to, but they might also want to keep a Mario sports game as priority because that keeps their lights on. at least with outsourcing Golden Sun, they can still do design, writing, and producer work to have it fit their vision

This is how I see it as well. With the relative success we’re seeing this release have, it makes sense for WF to make a new entry in the series.
It seems logical and it would be a very good news, but seeing Wario Land mentioned so often on this thread depresses me a lot: I would like so much that the series comes back!

We often talk about the internal development resources of EPD when it comes to the really big projects, but damn, it would be amazing to have a division made up specifically of young talents who could experiment with things by making Wario Land, Mario RPG, Golden Sun, why not even Ice Climbers or and a lot of licenses that we don't see anymore (I don't even dare to mention Starfox or F-Zero).

I think the same thing about 2D Zelda and 2D Mario: it has to become a huge creative pool in-house again.

I remember many years ago some of the WF staff did an AMA on Reddit and I specifically asked them which Nintendo IP would they like to make a game of if given the chance. While many answered 2D Metroid, one of them said Ice Climbers and other said StarTropics. I'd love to see both of those.

Golden Sun isn't getting touched by anyone except for Camelot. It's their baby and Nintendo wouldn't dare to palm it off to someone else and risk ruining their relationship (again) with Camelot; nor is there any incentive for them to do so.

I remember many years ago some of the WF staff did an AMA on Reddit and I specifically asked them which Nintendo IP would they like to make a game of if given the chance. While many answered 2D Metroid, one of them said Ice Climbers and other said StarTropics. I'd love to see both of those.

A brand new 4-8 player Ice Climbers or Balloon Fight would be rad as hell!

Back
Top Bottom