• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will you leave Twitter if Elon Musk purchases it?

Will you?

• Total voters
If he manages to run the platform into the ground…

Facebook, Instagram and TikTok next please.

Platforms where the most reactionary minority dictate national discourse shouldn’t exist.

I already left it because it legit ruined humanity and being exposed to that platform made me mad 24/7

It being owned by Elon Musk, the personification of your average internet idiot, doesn’t change anything. I used to follow him for the memes but the cult of personality around this guy is pretty stupid at this point, sick and tired of seeing his face in every other billionnaire mindset meme. Sure you could say that something like Tesla was good for electric cars but in general I don’t think Elon Musk ever did enough to fix how… unaware people are regarding to technology, especially in the Americas. You would think that the richest man on Earth being this so-called visionary would mean that people and politicians would get their heads out of their asses when it comes to sustainable development in general but all we got is mediocrity and parroting a bunch of both sides memes.

In regards to news and content, none of that is truly exclusive to Twitter and can and often is posted to other places, so it's not like it would block anything meaningful here. I just really want to never have to see anything twitter ever again.
The only thing is (and the reason I share twitter posts instead of direct links to websites) is because the twitter posts are the only things (as far as I know) that will actually load a preview of the post in the forum. Everything else would just be a URL, which would mean anyone would have to click it just to see what I was sharing, which I think would be inconvenient for other users.

I understand you're trying to stand up for a strong belief and I respect the hell out of that, don't get me wrong. I'm just pointing out one of the biggest things about posting twitter links that I would not want to lose here.

I have been using it less and less everyday so I'll leave eventually. Nothing to do with Musk, but I dont expect anything him to do anything good either. Dude seems to believe he is Bruce Wayne or something.

After reading reactions and thinking about it all day I’ve decided to currently stay for friends still there, but I’m actively making exit plans including getting more contact info from friends.

Are there any alternatives people are looking at? Mastodon seems the most popular, but unpopular overall. Always seemed a bit confusing too, but I never looked at it too closely. I have an account, but I’m not big into Discord, message boards are more my speed. I’m not at all interested in anything Facebook/Meta related.

After reading reactions and thinking about it all day I’ve decided to currently stay for friends still there, but I’m actively making exit plans including getting more contact info from friends.

Are there any alternatives people are looking at? Mastodon seems the most popular, but unpopular overall. Always seemed a bit confusing too, but I never looked at it too closely. I have an account, but I’m not big into Discord, message boards are more my speed. I’m not at all interested in anything Facebook/Meta related.
Mastodon is probably the closest to a "popular" alternative that isn't too different from Twitter. It has some genuinely good options compared to Twitter (you can decide private/public on a post-by-post basis, and it has a good content warning/tagging system), but also some cons (there are some different security worries due to how it's set up, and it can be confusing figuring out where you want to make your account). But by far its biggest problem is that as long as people aren't mass-migrating to it, none of your friends are on it.

Technically Tumblr is another option, but it's closer to regular blogging than microblogging. It's... sorta decent for sharing content (and fantastic for shitposting) but it's not the best option for socializing imo. There's also Dreamwidth, I guess, but that's more for long-form blogging à la Livejournal, even if there's a comment system.

Mastodon is probably the closest to a "popular" alternative that isn't too different from Twitter. It has some genuinely good options compared to Twitter (you can decide private/public on a post-by-post basis, and it has a good content warning/tagging system), but also some cons (there are some different security worries due to how it's set up, and it can be confusing figuring out where you want to make your account). But by far its biggest problem is that as long as people aren't mass-migrating to it, none of your friends are on it.

Technically Tumblr is another option, but it's closer to regular blogging than microblogging. It's... sorta decent for sharing content (and fantastic for shitposting) but it's not the best option for socializing imo. There's also Dreamwidth, I guess, but that's more for long-form blogging à la Livejournal, even if there's a comment system.
Thanks for the info/impressions! Gives me an idea where to start looking and sets expectations. I have time later tonight to see what’s out there.

I started discussing with my close friends too that I speak to on Twitter DMs, but we haven’t decided anything yet. Probably Discord.

Already closed my personal account ages ago, just leaving one i had for... Some stuff; and the recent shift to gatekeeping content behind login in has just made me not want to interact with the platform at all.

Musk buying twitter doesn't change anything there. If anything, will probably make me just outright actively avoid it.

I selected unsure, because it depends on the people I follow.
The only reason I have a twitter account is because there are many active game programmers who post and talk about technical stuff, which interests me. I blocked everything which is day to day news (polititcs, religion, other stuff which doesn't makes sense to be talked about on the internet because everyone lives in their own bubbles), so my twitter feed is really informative to me. If those people I follow would leave for a "new place", I would just go the "new place".

Depends on what he does, doesn't it. There's no way he purchased Twitter just to unban Trump. Let's hope he improves the platform.

elon musk sucks and I hate him, but I'll probably continue using it until it takes a complete dive or something. It's very valuable to me and I've made lots of friends and connections over the years through it. plus I do enjoy using it to follow artists who aren't really active on other services.

but, elon musk really sucks lol

Twitter is the only means I have to get word about my games out there, within the #indiedev and #gamedev communities and hashtags, which continues to be a wholesome part of the platform. Losing that means of communication would be something I'd be sad about. If more effective and alternative ways to engage with other indie developers pops up, I'm definitely leaving.

Woo

Can't leave a site if you've never joined in the first place. This certainly wouldn't make me more likely to make an account.

Fam, desperate times call for desperate measures.

I have created a Twitter alternative.

It's called Sheeter.

Give me your Google names and I'll invite you to this unnamed spreadsheet we can all sheet post in.

* This isn't just a joke. It's a very very very lazy joke. Mostly cooked up around a bad pun most healthy normal people won't get. I have not even created a new unnamed spreadsheet yet, please don't send me any handles.

I got myself a Mastodon account, since it is Open Source, decentral and has some human oversight and ever instance can has its quirks and rules
to enforce them properly like on a message board.
But I'll wait and see how things turn out, but seeing what this NEET with too much money is tweeting these days I am sure that
site is even getting more to a heaping trash fire than it already is. But he has to complay to laws, especially EU laws and I am eager to see
how he runs against that wall.

And no, twitter is not something that can not be replace. It can, like many othe social networks before and it is possible to do so if everyone
agrees to switch. To think like this enables people with power even more

I'll leave it if other people I follow leave it. Musk sucks a lot, but so do most tech CEOs.

Right now a couple of close IRL friends moved to a Mastadon instance, but everyone else I follow and my online friends are still on Twitter.

Twitter is a hive of the worst in humanity no matter their identity or political alignment. So guess it will only get worse than it was?

Least favorite part of Twitter is the bullying of kids I see often, and is permitted and it is disgusting. Bullying from other kids AND adults. It is gross.

Honestly, I do not understand why these apps do not raise the age from 13 to 18? I don't get it,

My account have been terminated because I quoted the Shaft 2019 homophobic slurs, while denouncing it (I’m gay ffs).

Fuck you, Samuel L. Jackson.
I would like you to give me back the time I lost watching this piece of shit.

Doesn’t Twitter get an insane stipulation now because he backed out of the deal?
No idea, all I heard was speculation that he started the deal with the intention of screwing up Tesla stock, then backing out of the Twitter deal and buying up a bunch of Tesla stock at a discounted rate.

That's obviously just internet hearsay. But it's the only thing I've heard regarding him backing out. 🤷‍♂️

dd706cea10b0a3dc73f5031a259d3fc6b882f058.png

No idea, all I heard was speculation that he started the deal with the intention of screwing up Tesla stock, then backing out of the Twitter deal and buying up a bunch of Tesla stock at a discounted rate.

That's obviously just internet hearsay. But it's the only thing I've heard regarding him backing out. 🤷‍♂️
I mean that's his MO. Why did Tesla approve of using Dogecoin as currency? Because he owned a shitton of it, then when the price spiked he sold his shares probably after he hosted SNL.

He's getting sued for that too btw.

Haha oh that is WAY too fucking true. Honestly kinda scary, tbh. Like why are folk this easily fooled by snake oil salesmen?
Garbage people love it when prominent rich folks act and speak like them. It validates their horribleness in their eyes, so that when people tell them they're horrible they can go "nuh-uh" and point at the incredibly wealthy and financially successful prick they've chosen as an example that they're actually "correct."

I've seen this time and time and time and time again from people worshipping another vile blob of compressed shit, who even ascended to the presidency of my country because of it.

Garbage people love it when prominent rich folks act and speak like them. It validates their horribleness in their eyes, so that when people tell them they're horrible they can go "nuh-uh" and point at the incredibly wealthy and financially successful prick they've chosen as an example that they're actually "correct."

I've seen this time and time and time and time again from people worshipping another vile blob of compressed shit, who even ascended to the presidency of my country because of it.
That's absolutely true for assholes, bigots, and nihilists but I notice this even happens to otherwise decent people, albeit not QUITE as much. It makes discussing these sorts of folk and the bad shit they do difficult with other people because of how they built their cult of personality

That can describe quite a few folk. I'm assuming it's not Trump so is it Bolsanaro?

That's absolutely true for assholes, bigots, and nihilists but I notice this even happens to otherwise decent people, albeit not QUITE as much. It makes discussing these sorts of folk and the bad shit they do difficult with other people because of how they built their cult of personality

That can describe quite a few folk. I'm assuming it's not Trump so is it Bolsanaro?
I was definitely talking about Trump, I just hate using his name these days 😅

I'm not sure he even planned that far ahead. Really felt like he got baited into trying to buy Twitter and then started reneging once he realized that would mean he owned Twitter.

Back
Top Bottom