• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will you leave Twitter if Elon Musk purchases it?

Will you?

• Total voters

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
Elon Musk has publicly vied for full ownership of Twitter, and rumors that the deal will go through have heightened today.

As such, I've reached the point of wondering what I'll do if Musk succeeds, and am curious to hear what you'll all do as well. My first instinct was to delete my accounts if the deal goes through, but I'm now hesitant. While the company will be under new ownership, I don't expect substantial changes to policy.

Well, what do you all think?

I've only technically had one for the last few years. I never really found it to be useful for anything (aside from sometimes meeting people in real life through it). But something has always stuck with me, which is that psychologically and evolutionarily speaking, humans are not really designed well to process this much information about all the thoughts of all the people from all over the world. And so using something like twitter really wasn't ever a good use of time, and is probably overall harmful. So I deleted it a few days ago. I've been fine. I still get news from actual news sources rather than randos. I get my video game fill here. And I have more time to do other things. I don't miss it. (I also deleted facebook several years ago and never have had any of the others.)

I voted yes in the poll since I just find it super unlikely it will be left alone for long. I’m really expecting the worst here where they get rid of moderation and unban the worst people.

I’ll probably first make my account private the moment it goes through and then see where friends end up going. I hope people put together a Twitter alternative as soon as possible. Nothing else quite does what it does.

I’m just really bummed, it’s been my first and only social network for years not counting here and I have friends I only regularly communicate with on there. If the worst happens, there’s no way I want to be a part of that site anymore. It already has problems to begin with, but it can be so much worse.

Yeah, eventually.

Once news got out last night, I've been basically shifting to "getting my affairs in order" mode. Most of the peeps I care about most, I already have a regular means to communicate and coordinate with, outside of Twitter. It's now mainly a matter of waiting and seeing if some new platform crops up that becomes the "new jump off", in the meanwhile.

Either that, or we all go back to Web 2.0-style forums! I'd always be down for that!

Longtime Twitter user here. Made my account in August of 2008. I have made friends through twitter, and that I only know THROUGH Twitter. It's very important to me for a lot of reasons, so while my instinct is to just leave as soon as Captain Dipshit Von Pissypants Elon Musk takes over, I DO think I'm going to have a pretty hard time letting go.

As to where I'd go, it'd depend on where my twitter friends go. Though as I approach 30, I think "maybe just not spending time on social media" is starting to sound like a better and better option. I'd obviously stay here tho. I love this site too much. And I'd probably maybe get into Discord a bit.

My Twitter account is private anyway and just used to curate a feed and follow people. I'll still probably continue to do that, but will see if people move somewhere else.

Yes, I have left because Elon Musk is gonna purchase it.

I only have a private account to follow a couple of gaming related official accounts, so I think I can manage to leave it behind fairly easily.

Twitter is the only means I have to get word about my games out there, within the #indiedev and #gamedev communities and hashtags, which continues to be a wholesome part of the platform. Losing that means of communication would be something I'd be sad about. If more effective and alternative ways to engage with other indie developers pops up, I'm definitely leaving.

It's the social media I have the healthiest relationship and really enjoy being on, but I'm seriously considering leaving if this goes through. Feels bad :(

EDIT: aside from here of course ;)

On a related note, how do we get Nintendo to post their social media stuff on Famiboards instead?

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. Made a Mastodon account but I want to see if some people I follow on Twitter jump ship before I do.

Screw Elon the man baby though, I hope he tanks it and loses enough money from this bs ego trip.

I don't really see much of a difference to before when he buys them out. Twitter banned Trump and what else? Also banned Milo? Basically every alt-right/alt-right adjacent platform and every other similar prominent right-leaning figure like Bolsonaro is operating on there as always.

I only use it as a news source so I just follow where the biggest bulk of international journalism goes but I heavily doubt they will stop reporting and posting on Twitter just because another capitalist entity is at the helm of Twitter now.

Last edited:
I don't really see much of a difference to before when he buys them out. Twitter banned Trump and what else? Also banned Milo? Basically every alt-right/alt-right adjacent platform and every other similar prominent right-leaning figure like Bolsonaro is operating on there as always.

I only use it as a news source so I just follow where the biggest bulk of international journalism goes but I heavily doubt they will stop reporting and posting on Twitter just because another capitalist entity is at the helm of Twitter now.
This is where I'm at. As uncomfortable as it is to say, it's unlikely there is an appreciable difference under Musk.

I don't really engage with Twitter so much as I just read Twitter to get some light sports/gaming news and see who the main character is of the day.

I'm on the "unsure as of now", train. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but honestly not that much worse than anything Twitter has already been doing. They're already not really doing any moderation (except when they get threatened with legal trouble) and the features and atmosphere already suck ass unless you're actively going out of your way to block things out.

The biggest issue is really just where else would I go for personal stuff? Tumblr is half-decent for blogging but terrible for socializing, Mastodon has some great options in theory but in practice I found it more unpleasant to use than Twitter. Discord is decent if you already have friend circles you like, but it's also a completely different type of socializing than something like Twitter. I'd probably keep my art account open either way, because I can't really afford to lose that much online presence as a content creator.

I only have a dummy account in place to use/view Wario64 deals. Outside of that, Twitter is worthless to me.

So basically if Wario moves his services to another platform, I will be done with Twitter.

No.

Well only if they shut down 3rd party apps in favor of the official app.

Would be nice if they would open up the API for a change. Still waiting for polls to be available.

Since I don’t use it for any personal communications I don’t see any major changes that will significantly affect me or groups and causes that I care about. Twitter is already pitiful when it comes to a lot of stuff like enforcing their own damn TOS to protect minorities from harassment. But if the people I follow end up leaving, I will most likely drop it as well.

I mostly use it for following news and artists (even though it's kind of bad for looking up older art). I certainly wouldn't complain if those I followed left the platform, but I don't know how likely that is without a similar platform taking off.

Not looking forward to how things are going to be under Musk.

I don't really use it for any personal relationships, I only started using it about a year ago when I realized I was getting too nervous about backlash from posting random thoughts on Facebook like I used to, and nobody really follows me so I mostly use it to, as I say, "shout into the void." So if the trolls take over, I doubt I'll notice a difference because they never come around to me anyway. And I do sometimes use it to talk to artists or professionals whose work I like, which is really nice. I follow a lot of artists on there, since a lot of people have migrated off DeviantART. That'd suck to give that up.

Basically, I don't expect it to change my personal experience, especially since I have mine set to only show me what people I follow are tweeting, and I don't follow jerks. The outside of my own little curated twitter bubble looks like a horrific cesspool to me as it is, so.. what, is it gonna get more cesspooly? I'll just stay in my bubble. But on the other hand, being involved in something Musk owns would make me feel dirty as hell, so... man, I dunno. 😣

with Musk in charge with his "fReE sPeEcH" initiative all the moderation and harassment problems will get worse

now's the best time to leave

I've scaled way way back on my use of Twitter in the last year or so, and it's been very good for me mentally and emotionally.

I don't think I'm going to necessarily swear off the platform or boycott it or anything, but I'll probably just continue to find myself using it less and less, as I have been. I'll probably keep a presence on the site in the off-chance that it becomes important to me professionally, but not much more than that.

I'm worried enough that it finally convinced me to make an account here but I need to see before I leave completely.

Also, hi.
A2I62I1.gif

I already left it and deleted my main account. I only use my burner to look at tweets involving the war and theme parks (yeah yeah I know weird combination).

I had an account to beat the asinine paywall. Never really posted anything and it functions as a breaking news adapter for me.

To me, Musk buying it changes nothing. The return of Trump changes nothing. Can't redeem something that is 90% trash at its core, with so many insufferable, dog-piling, faux clever, harassing, nasty, cruel and snooty pieces of shit being the loudest 'very online' voices. Straight up, whats a couple more jerks at this point?

NOTE: If Twitter has been a positive force in your life or some place that you've found a community and you feel like you are losing it, that really sucks and you're completely right to feel upset by this news if you feel like twitter will be less safe for you moving forward. Take the above as someone who feels like twitter isn't safe for ANYONE and has been so turned off by social media that I only see darkness in most of its forms.

Something that does make me sad is that there’s a thing on Twitter called the “Tales circle”, which is a group of people who loves Tales that all cheer each other up and are posting kind and heartwarming tweets about Tales and about how it’s important being a positive force in someone’s life. A friend of mine was part of it before she left Twitter due to personal reasons, but she always spoke highly of the Tales circle. Wonder what will happen to them.

I don't plan on it because I am stubborn but I am very curious if Musk can truly kill Twitter.

Nothing weirds me out more than the grown ass men who genuinely seem to think Musk is a real-life Tony Stark. the dick riding these freaks do is so pathetic.

Never used Twitter. I would visit wario64s page periodically to see if any deals pop up but I won't be going back now.

It possible to auto-ignore Twitter posts here on Famiboards? I'd be nice to be able to ignore all Twitter posts by default. Personally I'd prefer if we could ban Twitter from the site but I'm not sure if other people feel this way.

I'm just wondering if Tony Stark From Wish Dot Com is gonna allow the Great Orange Shitstain to have his account back now. 😣

Never used Twitter. I would visit wario64s page periodically to see if any deals pop up but I won't be going back now.

It possible to auto-ignore Twitter posts here on Famiboards? I'd be nice to be able to ignore all Twitter posts by default. Personally I'd prefer if we could ban Twitter from the site but I'm not sure if other people feel this way.
I imagine there are browser extensions that can do this for you

I use it kinda like as a curated news feed for programming, general news and gaming stuff and I basically just have Nintendo notifications on and barely reply to anything

I want to drop it as I don't trust Musk but ideally it should be a viable alternative and people I like to follow there move as well

Does anyone know about Mastodon? Seems like an open-source alternative so there are multiple versions of it online (instances) so I have no idea about which one to join

No, not currently, as I use it as a way to amalgamate all of my gaming/anime/hobby news.

I understand why people will leave, but I also don't think anything will drastically change (And if it does, I'll jump off)

That's the whole point of buying it.
Y'know, when this started I thought the point was market manipulation. Now that he's actually dropped a fucking insane amount of money on it, I can't imagine what his end goal is

Deactivated my account. I never really needed it anyway, and now seems like a better time than ever.

I dont really use twitter to begin with. I do go there to see some gaming news and all, but its a platform made for pisspoor discussions and massive amounts of hate speech of all kinds. Its a fertile place for manchildren and... womanchildren? Does that term exist? For all its worth i hope he drives it to the ground,one less stain in the face of the internet.

I dont understand why Twitter should be banned from positing, a lot of news,content and fan art are posted there and it would not make a lot of sense to not be able to post them or give direct link to the users of Twitter that make this content. Twitter is already full of the type of users that we fear due to a Musk acquistion, so I dont think it will change that much only because Musk now owns the company.

I dont understand why Twitter should be banned from positing, a lot of news,content and fan art are posted there and it would not make a lot of sense to not be able to post them or give direct link to the users of Twitter that make this content. Twitter is already full of the type of users that we fear due to a Musk acquistion, so I dont think it will change that much only because Musk now owns the company.
Banning Twitter from the site entirely is something I would want, but I've already acknowledged that others might not. It would be nice I could hit a button under account settings to auto hide any Twitter links and posts that get posted here.

In regards to news and content, none of that is truly exclusive to Twitter and can and often is posted to other places, so it's not like it would block anything meaningful here. I just really want to never have to see anything twitter ever again.

Back
Top Bottom