• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Wave Race 64 coming to NSO August 19 (out now!)

I've been getting killed on Marine Fortress on hard mode, don't think I've come in 1st even once. I seem to recall being able to time that first wall jump regularly but now it's mostly faceplant or fly off the ski.

Port Blue is strugglethon well.

RIP, my Lost Skillz 😕
Oh yeah marine fortress is by far the hardest on everything except reverse lol

Got 7-4-7-7-7-7 on my second normal championship! That red and blue racer with custom adjustments felt pretty good for sharper turns.

Can get a bit unwieldy though.

I finally beat Hard, but it took way too many tries. My pre-teen self is mocking me. I can feel it.

7-7-0-1-2-4-7
Playing last night and yeah, my results in hard mode looking similar to this spread 😝

Drake Lake I could be 1st or 4th, but that one feels doable just gotta not wipe out in that section. Then Night City and Southern Island are pretty chill, don't make the avoidable mistakes and use that obvious shortcut for the latter.

The Marine Fortress => Port Blue wombo combo tho, wuf, getting beat down by those waves (and the hits from other riders!) Expert feels faaarrrrr away atm 🌊

finally taking a short reprieve from Xenoblade 3 to play this.

no joke, the fact that this game and every facet of it was developed in the 90’s is pretty mind blowing. There’s just so much going on from the physics of the water to the physics of the skis. The amount of control you have is pretty incredible. i haven’t played Blue Storm in a while but I definitely don’t remember it being as good as this.

Dang that looks pretty good ☝️
I gather thats it thru emulation?

Watched this MVG video where he dives into the game's wave implementation.

Apparently at least some of the Waverace 64 source code was in the GigaLeak but not all of it. So I take that to mean a "recompiled HD 60fps open source project" won't happen anytime soon.

Is Port Blue on Hard even possible? I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve made a save state at the start of the race, and I’ve tried over and over and over. The section in the tunnel seems like it takes pure luck to get through without crashing.

Is Port Blue on Hard even possible? I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve made a save state at the start of the race, and I’ve tried over and over and over. The section in the tunnel seems like it takes pure luck to get through without crashing.
I came back this evening and beat Port Blue on my first try. I didn’t even need to take that tunnel shortcut. I just drove better and beat the AI by five seconds. Then finished the rest of Hard mode no problem.

I feel like Expert might be more difficult (duh), especially Port Blue because it forces you to take that tunnel.

Expert mode cleared, 7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

I made save states between races, so I cheated a little. But each race only took me a few tries to win. The AI on Expert seemed to either be ruthless bastards out for blood, or complete morons who ran into every box, wall, mine, and ice floe they could find. I won a couple races by only a few hundredths of a second, and others by six seconds or more.

After Reverse mode, what else is there to do? Get 5,000 points on each course in Stunt mode? Is that it?

Tried out the Japanese release with the rumble included last night, definitely adds to an already incredible experience. Have the N64 controller and was great to be able to feel the waves underneath you.
Well worth checking out if you haven't yet

Expert mode cleared, 7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

I made save states between races, so I cheated a little. But each race only took me a few tries to win. The AI on Expert seemed to either be ruthless bastards out for blood, or complete morons who ran into every box, wall, mine, and ice floe they could find. I won a couple races by only a few hundredths of a second, and others by six seconds or more.

After Reverse mode, what else is there to do? Get 5,000 points on each course in Stunt mode? Is that it?
Yup, it's not a big game

Yup, it's not a big game
That makes sense. And really, it’s perfectly fine. Most racing games don’t have a ton of heft to them, especially from this era.

Even if it’s a bit short, I’m really enjoying my time with this one. I like the graphics, the music, the announcers, all the tracks are fun and unique, and the gameplay is incredible. I’m really glad that Nintendo put the game on NSO so I could experience it.

Tried out the Japanese release with the rumble included last night, definitely adds to an already incredible experience. Have the N64 controller and was great to be able to feel the waves underneath you.
Well worth checking out if you haven't yet
Does the rumble work with the normal Switch controllers, like the Pro or Joy-con?

That makes sense. And really, it’s perfectly fine. Most racing games don’t have a ton of heft to them, especially from this era.

Even if it’s a bit short, I’m really enjoying my time with this one. I like the graphics, the music, the announcers, all the tracks are fun and unique, and the gameplay is incredible. I’m really glad that Nintendo put the game on NSO so I could experience it.
Oh yeah, I think it's excellent and it makes the most of the little "content" it has, cleverly reusing the 8 tracks through buoy placement. I've actually been thinking about writing up a thread about it but I'm afraid it might open up a controversial can of worms lmao.

Some of these courses were not designed to be ran in reverse. Specifically Port Blue and Twilight City. And is it me, or are the buoy placements incredibly unfair also? The only way I could win in some reverse races was to strategically miss a buoy every lap.

Anyway, now that Reverse mode is finished, I think I’m done with the game. I’ve still got about half the courses left to do Stunt mode on, but I’m satisfied enough to call it done. What a great game this is! Frustrations with Port Blue aside of course, haha.

Some of these courses were not designed to be ran in reverse. Specifically Port Blue and Twilight City. And is it me, or are the buoy placements incredibly unfair also? The only way I could win in some reverse races was to strategically miss a buoy every lap.

Anyway, now that Reverse mode is finished, I think I’m done with the game. I’ve still got about half the courses left to do Stunt mode on, but I’m satisfied enough to call it done. What a great game this is! Frustrations with Port Blue aside of course, haha.

I always find different perspectives like this really interesting. Like how someone can describe themselves as ‘done’ with a game after completing objectives.

I still kinda play games just for fun and enjoyment. Like I’ll have the feeling of ‘I really wanna play Wave Race right now’ regardless of having completing it. I’d never consider myself ‘done’ so to speak unless of course I was coming to the conclusion that I’m just not enjoying something.

It was always something I noticed with people who obsess with Gamerscore as well. They’d get all the achievements and then the game would be ‘done’, it had been consumed and now it was time to move on to consume the next game and Gamerscore.

This isn’t a negative post to you by the way, just highlighting how people play and experience games in completely different ways. Maybe I’m alone in still playing games the way I do.

I always find different perspectives like this really interesting. Like how someone can describe themselves as ‘done’ with a game after completing objectives.

I still kinda play games just for fun and enjoyment. Like I’ll have the feeling of ‘I really wanna play Wave Race right now’ regardless of having completing it. I’d never consider myself ‘done’ so to speak unless of course I was coming to the conclusion that I’m just not enjoying something.

It was always something I noticed with people who obsess with Gamerscore as well. They’d get all the achievements and then the game would be ‘done’, it had been consumed and now it was time to move on to consume the next game and Gamerscore.

This isn’t a negative post to you by the way, just highlighting how people play and experience games in completely different ways. Maybe I’m alone in still playing games the way I do.
What it really comes down to is, I have a long list of games in my backlog. As I'm playing a game, there inevitably comes a point where I feel like I've done everything I want to do in that game, and that's when I decide to move on to the next one. As long as I feel like I've experienced what the game has to offer, I don't mind moving on.

Wave Race is definitely the kind of game that you can play through once and you've seen pretty much all the game has to offer. But I do love to just turn it on for a few laps and zoom around because I absolutely adore how it feels to play.

This game is so good. I need a new one with the physics and transparency effects we have now. That Wii U water guy demands it.
Next generation of Nintendo hardware so we can get Sea of Thieves level water:

KeenUnsightlyFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif

Next generation of Nintendo hardware so we can get Sea of Thieves level water:

KeenUnsightlyFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif
I don't think the waves in Sea of Thieves are being run on native XBO or XSX hardware. I think they're run on advanced hardware using Microsoft's Azure Cloud technology. I could be massively misremembering though.

Back
Top Bottom