• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Wave Race 64 coming to NSO August 19 (out now!)

Ok, Copped the expansion pass (thx switchUp 10% discount! ☕)

I am the Champion (of Normal mode) again!!!

Edit ....annnd I immediately wash out of Sunny Beach on hard mode 😅

This is the first time playing NSO N64.

There's this annoying frame around the emulation window. (With a. Button key for Start/Suspend)

Can that be banished??
You can turn off the button prompts but the border and player icon cannot be turned off.

I played about 10min before work today, just to see if nostalgia hits me hard. It did, in all the good ways. The controls are so tide, the water-pyhsics feel all kinds of right, the graphics aged like a banana and are almost too sweet and the music still rings my ears.

It would be nice if Nintendo announced a new Wave Race at the next Direct.

HEY NINTENDO, IT WOULD BE NICE IF WAVE RACE WAS RELEVANT AGAIN

Controls are a little finicky for me but game is fun for what it is. Also the water looks way better than I expected.

This game is great! I can't believe I never played it as a kid. Even after only a half hour I can tell this is one of the best racing games on the N64. The graphics are amazing, the soundtrack is fantastic, and that announcer is just the best. BONSAI!!!

It took me a few tries to get the hang of steering, but I was able to beat the Normal Circuit, winning all six races. I'm excited to get back to it this weekend and play the harder difficulties.

Between Wave Race, 1080, and Excitebike 64, the N64 had an absolutely killer lineup of extreme sports racing games.

not sure if it's related, but Fanta has brominated vegetable oil, a chemical banned in most countries because it has adverse effects to the nervous system

TCCC stopped using brominated oil for Fanta/Powerade/etc in 2014.
Pepsi Co. stopped having bvo in Gatorade, but still uses it for Mountain Dew.

Generally, it’s still in many energy drinks.

TCCC stopped using brominated oil for Fanta/Powerade/etc in 2014.
Pepsi Co. stopped having bvo in Gatorade, but still uses it for Mountain Dew.

Generally, it’s still in many energy drinks.
Ah, in my cursory research I found the they actually stopped using it in most Mountain Dew varieties in 2020. Seems like people are aware of it now

This game is like riding a bike. The shortcut when you dive underneath the wall from a jump came back to me mid-race. I failed at it, but still I was amazed I remembered how to do it.

There is just something super special about the N64 for me. So many memories tied to these games. I guess cause I was in elementary school, and all my friends/brothers were super into gaming at the time. Just booting this game immediately brought back memories of waking in the summer, running up the stairs to the N64, only to realize that my brother beat me to it and was running time trails in WR64. The soundtrack is ingrained into my head because of that.

Anyways, I'm so happy to play Wave Race again in such a convenient way. Happy to see others discovering its greatness for the first time. Can't wait to tackle Expert later on!

This is one of my favorite games of all time and somehow I didn't know the Japanese version had rumble. And now I'm sad that I do know that, because I tried it and I can't go back, but I have no clue about the menus. Going to take some screenshots from the English version and make it work lol

Do we know if they brought some updates/fixes to the other games with this update?

From Nintendo Life,

Dataminer and Nintendo Life user LuigiBlood goes into a bit more detail:

N64 Switch Online 2.6.0:
  • Pokémon Puzzle League has seen removed config and updated PCB and NRO (recompiled code). Probably a fix for something.
  • Custom Robo V2 has updated PCB and NRO.
  • Wave Race 64 Rumble Pak (Japan) has replaced Fanta advertisements with Nintendo 64 logo.

It did, alongside every other Rare game minus Conker and Mickey's Speedway.

N64.png
wait what was this from and what does it mean?

This game is like riding a bike. The shortcut when you dive underneath the wall from a jump came back to me mid-race. I failed at it, but still I was amazed I remembered how to do it.

There is just something super special about the N64 for me. So many memories tied to these games. I guess cause I was in elementary school, and all my friends/brothers were super into gaming at the time. Just booting this game immediately brought back memories of waking in the summer, running up the stairs to the N64, only to realize that my brother beat me to it and was running time trails in WR64. The soundtrack is ingrained into my head because of that.

Anyways, I'm so happy to play Wave Race again in such a convenient way. Happy to see others discovering its greatness for the first time. Can't wait to tackle Expert later on!
Yep, n64 was a special console. Me and my cousin spent countless hours playing pokemon stadium. We came for the 3d pokemon battles, and stayed for the awesome mini games. And ill never forget seeing mario 64 for the first time, it was a revelation.

Oh no, not me actually yelling out loud because I got a "bonsai!" on Expert Marine Fortress... 😭

I was so laser focused on just not wiping out, cause these wipe outs on Expert seem to be totally unrecoverable from, that I didn't even know exactly which place I was in and then this happened lol

Game definitely still has it.

Enjoyed Wave Race and 1080 on GCN but both were a step down from their n64 predecessors. I still had a lot of fun with Blue Storm. 1080: Avalanche was a bigger dip in quality imo.

What are the impressions on the emulation? No weird visual or gameplay glitches?
It feels fine to me, granted I haven't played the game in like 20 yrs!

What I am struggling with (I think) is the switch joycon's stubby sticks somewhat limiting my turns.

(At least that what I tell myself when I repeatedly wash out on Marine Fortress or Port Blue in hard mode).

Also now that I know Jpn version has rumble, I really wish they brought it over to all releases!

Yeah this game is kinda sick. I was always dismissive of these games because surely jetski racing cant be a serious sport. Glad I’m finally able to give it a chance, a very impressive N64 game. I can only imagine how chef’s kiss the GameCube game is.
I only ever poked the GC version once or twice and never felt like giving it the time of day.

This despite absolutely holding waverace 64 as one of the 64's most chefs-kissable games. 🧑‍🍳💕👌
I adored the game, and I'm still digging it now even as I wonder if I can still win expert mode.

Since then I also enjoy reading people compare the two and my understanding is that Blue Storm both controls differently and has a different vibe.

I think it pissed off Shinya Takahashi too, thus he went and relegated NST to just Mario-vs-DK games and port help. (I made that up)

Alright f’ it. Blue Storm is one of the few GC games that isn’t exorbitantly expensive on ebay. I’ll update you all in a week with some fresh takes on whether this game is responsible for a decade of Mario vs. Donkey Kong or is a proper chef’s kiss of a GameCube sequel.

Alright f’ it. Blue Storm is one of the few GC games that isn’t exorbitantly expensive on ebay. I’ll update you all in a week with some fresh takes on whether this game is responsible for a decade of Mario vs. Donkey Kong or is a proper chef’s kiss of a GameCube sequel.
I noticed that too 😂

First party GameCube game for like $10-20 cib. Grim.

I can only imagine how chef’s kiss the GameCube game is.
It's generally regarded as a lacking sequel.

And i tend to agree. It's a gorgeous game, in some aspects it's literally stunning, but there's something to it that feels... wrong, and the controls are needlessly complicated.

Relegation-worthy or no, I for one find your new-found gusto for the Waverace series absolutely
chef's kiss 😘👌🍰

I adored the game, and I'm still digging it now even as I wonder if I can still win expert mode.
Answer:
No. No I can't. Dammmmm. 🤬
It's funny how just shifting the lil buoys around a tad and suddenly I'm in 4th place all the time

It's generally regarded as a lacking sequel.

And i tend to agree. It's a gorgeous game, in some aspects it's literally stunning, but there's something to it that feels... wrong, and the controls are needlessly complicated.
It's been a long time since I don't play Blue Storm but I don't remember controls being too different from the original other than the analog triggers getting a bit used to.

In fact I think both games are pretty much on par on a quality level, being the original more impressive for its time and the hardware it runs on.

1080 Avalanche however was way worse than the original, which at the same time is worse than Wave Race.

Blue Storm is a good sequel, but tonally it is wildly different from the N64 game. It was developed by NST (an American studio) and it really really shows; full of late 90s/early 2000s "tude", while the N64 game is basically Wii Sports by comparison (same music composer too, so it's not as far off a comparison as you'd think!)

It reuses the same physics codebase as the N64 game (no need to mess with perfection) and introduces some really nice new mechanics, most notably the Turbo boost move and the lean turns with the analog shoulder buttons; along with new stunt moves. But there are only 7 proper courses (with 2 of them being remakes of N64 courses), so content wise it's even lighter than the N64 original.

Well worth playing, but the wild tonal change will likely turn some people off; it doesn't have the same "feel good" vibe as the N64 game. But if you can look past that, you'll find a very solid sequel that's light on content but big on fun.

What are the impressions on the emulation? No weird visual or gameplay glitches?
Surprised no one replied to you

To me it looks and plays great. Maybe the Pro Controller feels a little more sensitive for turning but that's probably because it's been over 20 years since I last played this game.

During the GC era Nintendo just had a thing for prohibitively difficult racing games. Blue Storm introduced a lot of stuff (boost, sharp turns, weather effects) that make it better on paper but not necessarily more fun to play than the simple but elegant original. It's a good game with some nice ideas, just not as good as 64.

But it also has one of the funniest easter eggs ever

Reverse mode did not play damn. Marine fortress was super easy tho which was funny.
I've been getting killed on Marine Fortress on hard mode, don't think I've come in 1st even once. I seem to recall being able to time that first wall jump regularly but now it's mostly faceplant or fly off the ski.

Port Blue is strugglethon well.

RIP, my Lost Skillz 😕

Back
Top Bottom