• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Visual Novels |ST| Let’s-a-read!

I was wondering about that. I love S;G (+0) obviously, but I did not care that much for Chaos;Head/Child and Robotics;Notes was just plain silly. Is Anonymous;Code really a cut above?

Just finished Chaos;Child. I find a lot of my enjoyment of a VN comes from the main characters and especially the protagonist since we're going to spend the vast majority of the time hanging out with them and seeing through their eyes--and in this way I think Child comes up right behind the Steins;Gates as far as Science Adventure goes (haven't yet got to Dash or Anonymous). But boy did it also abuse that in putting nice people through hell in some of the reveals and alternate endings.

I was wondering about that. I love S;G (+0) obviously, but I did not care that much for Chaos;Head/Child and Robotics;Notes was just plain silly. Is Anonymous;Code really a cut above?
Based on reviews and some impressions I've seen, it seems to be great. I sadly wont get to it this year, but still looking forward to it.

An interesting looking game. There is a demo coming (or out now)

The demo is pretty good except for a few weird UI choices that caused me some annoyance. The story alternates between two protagonists using some sort of turn system with limited action points not unlike social sims like Persona, Gnosia, etc. I suppose the story unfolds differently based on the player's choices.

Anyways, it looks pretty interesting. The characters and dialog seem pretty well written from what I've seen and I'm looking forward to the full game.

Ciconia is on indefinite hold for now, dang. Ryukishi has the series planned out and doesn't want to drop it entirely. Just given the current state of the world he thinks it may be best to focus on a different no Naku Koro ni title.

After procrastinating on it for like half a year, I finally beat Yurukill!
What I appreciated the most was the art, ost and stacked va cast they used. The story itself was servicable.

What actively hampered my enjoyment was the Shmup segment after all, it made me wish there was a skip button for it. xD

But yeah, all in all it was an okay vn, I wish I had liked it more but alas.

Read through Return to Shironagasu Island on Switch. The creepy eerie atmosphere it manages to build over its short 8 hour runtime was a real treat. There are some investigation segments and dialogue moments where you have to exhaust all of your options to move on. Those were a drag, but the overall experience was worth it.

It's like $8 on Switch, check it out if isolated island murder mysteries are like comfort food to you as they are to me.

I’ve been thinking about going through something by Key (or some other VN that’s sad) lately. I’ve already gone through Clannad (loved), Little Busters (liked), and Kanon (eh) by them, so is there anything along those lines any of you would recommend?

I’ve been thinking about going through something by Key (or some other VN that’s sad) lately. I’ve already gone through Clannad (loved), Little Busters (liked), and Kanon (eh) by them, so is there anything along those lines any of you would recommend?

Stella of the End is a Key VN that I wholeheartedly endorse. It’s quite sad at places.

Same! Any recommendations of visual novels that will emotionally destroy me?

Planetarium. It's short but it will destroy you.

If you are not limited to Key or NS, Narcissus is another emotional roller coaster ride. Trigger warning though.

Bumping this thread, because while I'm fashionably late to the party, I have recently started to play Master Detective Archives: Rain Code, and I wanted to share some early-ish impressions. I say early-ish because I have only just completed chapter 1, but already put more than 10 hours into it.

I'm not that experienced when it comes to VNs. I've only played 13 Sentinels and Ace Attorney prior, but this one was on my radar for a while, and I recently found myself craving some murder mysteries and am really enjoying myself so far. The production values are rather impressive, with nearly every line being voiced, and the fact that there is a whole city to explore and immerse yourself in further lends to that impression. I also like the soundtrack so far, and chapter 0 really threw me for a spin in that the characters you are being introduced to there all die by the end of it, which was very unexpected.

The cases have been rather straight forward so far, but I expect them to get more intricate as the game progresses. The mystery dungeons are a bit reminiscent of Persona 5's castles in concept, and at the end of my first gumshoe gab, I legitimately half expected a tarot card to pop up. Curious to see how it all unfolds!

Last edited:

This game is too niche for a thread lol. But I am looking forward to this game. The first 2 are great and this one looks to continue that, the side scrolling thing is odd but we shall see.

This game is too niche for a thread lol. But I am looking forward to this game. The first 2 are great and this one looks to continue that, the side scrolling thing is odd but we shall see.

The first two have some really great moments, the atmosphere in the first game particularly is fantastic. I think the side-scrolling is an interesting choice that I am not sure about… but like you said, we shall see!!

Sadly, I don't have impressions since I haven't read these. But I heard great things about Summer Pockets, Harmonia and Tomoyo After. The latter is in the Clannad universe, so might something for you since you love Clannad. Harmonia is also by Key. Don't know if you read the Clannad side stories, but those are great as well. I have them on Steam, but didn't check if they're also on Switch, I checked, Harmonia and Tomoyo are both 50% more expensive on Switch than PC, Summer Pockets is JP only.

There is also Stella of the End, which is a recent key VN. I have it wishlisted, because key duh!

See my above recommendations, but if you want something outside key, check out Symphonic Rain or Lucy - the Eternity She Wished For. I've only read a bit of Lucy, it's great so far. And Steam reviews say it will destroy you emotionally.

The first two have some really great moments, the atmosphere in the first game particularly is fantastic. I think the side-scrolling is an interesting choice that I am not sure about… but like you said, we shall see!!
And the first person perspective helped with that atmosphere. I am all for experimenting.

Love Death Mark and NG. The switch to 3rd person side-scrolling for the third game is definitely an interesting choice; I wasn't really feeling it at first, but after having played Tokyo Dark I'm a little more confident that it can work.

Just as I was writing Aksys drops the launch trailer. And its the same one from last time

EDIT: Also who is at NintendoSwitch lol

A bunch on announcements from Otomate and Altergear (a new brand from Idea factory), all for 2024 (Japan exclusive).

Interesting announcement. Jack Jeanne did sell well and critics/fans really liked it (Ill get to it one day lol).

I've been meaning to start Anonymous; Code, but I haven't been played through all the previous Sci/Adv (minus Steins;Gate). So I pretty much know what happens in Chaos Head, but Noah has more routes, are they crucial or can I just skipped them? (I can also just search them online lol).

As for Robotics; Note Elite, I might watch the anime and get to them someone day. Child might be the biggest obstacle (Ill find a summary for Occult). I could get the double pack (that's the only way to get it on switch), but I know what happens on C;S so. Or I could really just skip it lol.

EDIT: My mistake, you can get Chaos Child separately on the eshop

Last edited:
I've been meaning to start Anonymous; Code, but I haven't been played through all the previous Sci/Adv (minus Steins;Gate). So I pretty much know what happens in Chaos Head, but Noah has more routes, are they crucial or can I just skipped them? (I can also just search them online lol).

As for Robotics; Note Elite, I might watch the anime and get to them someone day. Child might be the biggest obstacle (Ill find a summary for Occult). I could get the double pack (that's the only way to get it on switch), but I know what happens on C;S so. Or I could really just skip it lol.
I'm also wondering where I should start :/

I googled 'Science Adventure play order' and found a detailed reddit page on this. Is reddit allowed to be linked? I usually don't use it.

TLDR, don't start with Anonymous;Code. It's a culmination of the series so far.

As for the series order;
  • Chaos;Head Noah
  • Steins;Gate
  • Robotics;Notes Elite
  • Chaos;Child
  • Steins;Gate 0
  • Occult;Nine (optional, the source material for this isn't a VN like others, but a Light Novel, which is still incomplete)
  • Robotics;Notes Dash
  • Anonymous;Code
What I personally don't recommend, and what I constantly read online is that most anime adaptations besides Steins;Gate are inferior/poor compared to the VN's. They're not worth watching imo, though I've only watched Chaos;Head.

Another note is about Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram and Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace. Which are side stories and not canon to the overal series. But they're amazing, and should be played after Steins;Gate.

You can read a lot more here. You can even find patches linked to improve the experience (probably just the PC versions):

I googled 'Science Adventure play order' and found a detailed reddit page on this. Is reddit allowed to be linked? I usually don't use it.

TLDR, don't start with Anonymous;Code. It's a culmination of the series so far.

As for the series order;
  • Chaos;Head Noah
  • Steins;Gate
  • Robotics;Notes Elite
  • Chaos;Child
  • Steins;Gate 0
  • Occult;Nine (optional, the source material for this isn't a VN like others, but a Light Novel, which is still incomplete)
  • Robotics;Notes Dash
  • Anonymous;Code
Oh yeah, before getting Anonymous; Code I did a lot of research, I prpbably came across that post.There is a powerpoint/image (Ill share it later) explaining the order, systems and terms when starting the series.

As for the anime adaptations I can only speak for 2 of them Chaos Heart and Steins; Gate since I watched them and played the game. Steins; Gate is a fantastic adaptation and I would say if you dont want to play the game, the anime does a good job.

C;H on the other hand, people hate it. I dont think its horrible but it glances over the some of the overarching themes of the series.

It is not an easy franchise to get into to, to say the least😅

I'm also wondering where I should start :/
The reddit post @Ahmed posted is extremely thorough, its very good.

The other one I mentioned in my previous post is the following. In that one there is a sorta PowerPoint presentation (image), they even suggest that try to go into the series not thinking them as direct sequels, but more of a piece to the overarching story.

Oh yeah, before getting Anonymous; Code I did a lot of research, I prpbably came across that post.There is a powerpoint/image (Ill share it later) explaining the order, systems and terms when starting the series.

As for the anime adaptations I can only speak for 2 of them Chaos Heart and Steins; Gate since I watched them and played the game. Steins; Gate is a fantastic adaptation and I would say if you dont want to play the game, the anime does a good job.

C;H on the other hand, people hate it. I dont think its horrible but it glances over the some of the overarching themes of the series.

It is not an easy franchise to get into to, to say the least😅
Yeah, Steins;Gate anime is amazing. Stands well on its own. Chaos;Head anime was especially bad for me since I watched it after Steins;Gate lol. I'm gonna stick with the VN's from now on!

It can certainly become overwhelming (but not as much as the Fate series or anything Type Moon imo haha), but they're still very enjoyable.

The reddit post @Ahmed posted is extremely thorough, its very good.

The other one I mentioned in my previous post is the following. In that one there is a sorta PowerPoint presentation (image), they even suggest that try to go into the series not thinking them as direct sequels, but more of a piece to the overarching story.

Thanks for sharing this!
I do agree they're not really direct sequels to each other, but there are many callbacks to events and characters from the different entries. Which would make them more interesting if you follow a certain play order.

I didn't know about the Love Chu Chu games, I need to check them out at some point.

Yeah, Steins;Gate anime is amazing. Stands well on its own. Chaos;Head anime was especially bad for me since I watched it after Steins;Gate lol. I'm gonna stick with the VN's from now on!

It can certainly become overwhelming (but not as much as the Fate series or anything Type Moon imo haha), but they're still very enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing this!
I do agree they're not really direct sequels to each other, but there are many callbacks to events and characters from the different entries. Which would make them more interesting if you follow a certain play order.

I didn't know about the Love Chu Chu games, I need to check them out at some point.
Oh I totally agree. In comparison the rest of the adaptation are lacking and I think it has to do with how they are deliver in the anime versus the visual novel. And as someone who got into the Trails series last year, in comparison, these are way shorter lol. But yeah once the Robotics hits the sale period (every 2 months) Ill read those since they seem more light-hearted than the rest.

Yup. Even before starting them I saw some trailers and though "does this person appear in this game" type of observation.

Cool to see. I recently started this game as my break game from Unicorn Overlord, its been fun so far. I know there is a sequel in the works, so I would expect a localization.

Back
Top Bottom