• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Visual Novels |ST| Let’s-a-read!

I got Steins;Gate 0 from the sale. I decided not to get Elite and instead get the original one, which sadly isn't on Switch.

I probably won't have time to play more games/VN after this, so I'm not getting others for now.

Finally got to fill the Ghost Trick sized hole in my Ace Attorney loving heart, and man did I adore it. Such a fun little game. Think I like it more than every other individual Ace Attorney game, although I ultimately prefer Chronicles and the Phoenix Wright Trilogy as a whole over it.

It’s just so cool to see this pseudo renaissance of sorts for these classic DS era games. Uchikoshi’s got Somnium Files, Kodaka has Rain Code, Professor Layton is back, Capcom is remastering their stuff for modern platforms, Famicom Detective Club made a comeback, and we’re even getting some cool new stuff like Paranormasight. Great time to be a fan after the slump we got in the second half of the 2010s.

It’s just so cool to see this pseudo renaissance of sorts for these classic DS era games. Uchikoshi’s got Somnium Files, Kodaka has Rain Code, Professor Layton is back, Capcom is remastering their stuff for modern platforms, Famicom Detective Club made a comeback, and we’re even getting some cool new stuff like Paranormasight. Great time to be a fan after the slump we got in the second half of the 2010s.
We just need Hotel Dusk to make a comeback lol.

But yeah, as someone pretty new to the genre I've been loving the last 2 years from older stuff to the new games. Fingers cross we keep getting quality releases.

I just noticed that Anonymous;Code is coming out on September 8, and I'm thinking I will probably get it. I hope it's good! The science adventure series has been a mixed bag for me, but I usually like it. Although I've never played the VNs, Steins;Gate is one of my all-time favorite animes. I also enjoyed Chaos;Child, even though it kind of lost me towards the end.

Just started Famicom Detective Club The Missing Heir recently. The premise was fairly interesting, rich family inheritance drama. But it was going pretty slow. And honestly, I think the cast isn't that great. The 3 Ayashiro siblings are pretty much a copy of each other in terms of character/personality. I guess it kinda makes sense in the context, but there are no standouts. Ayumi also does pretty much nothing so far, despite being a major character.

But now I just started chapter 3 and things are finally taking off. I hope the mystery here pays off, I have lots of questions and many theories in my head. Hope the cast will become more interesting.

Just started Famicom Detective Club The Missing Heir recently. The premise was fairly interesting, rich family inheritance drama. But it was going pretty slow. And honestly, I think the cast isn't that great. The 3 Ayashiro siblings are pretty much a copy of each other in terms of character/personality. I guess it kinda makes sense in the context, but there are no standouts. Ayumi also does pretty much nothing so far, despite being a major character.

But now I just started chapter 3 and things are finally taking off. I hope the mystery here pays off, I have lots of questions and many theories in my head. Hope the cast will become more interesting.
Yeah it is a bit slow at the beginning. I think that's is one if not the main reason a lot of people like The Girl who stands Behind more (pacing).

Fingers cross the series continues.

Yeah it is a bit slow at the beginning. I think that's is one if not the main reason a lot of people like The Girl who stands Behind more (pacing).

Fingers cross the series continues.
I've reached chapter 5. It's slowly but gradually getting more interesting. Still nothing too crazy happening right now, but the story is still grabbing me.

I hope the series continues as well, the presentation at the very least is top notch. I also like how it's completely different from what we're used to from Nintendo.

Sad the games never went on sale, makes me think they're not expecting much.

Regarding Elite--I haven't played it, but getting the Steam version was the only way I could get Linear Bounded Phenogram in English. Looks like it's on PS4 as well, but don't know how it's sold.
That's very interesting, never heard of this one. Really disappointing that it's only available as a bundle with Elite, but the user reviews are glowing. I've put it on my wishlist for now, thanks for sharing!

I've reached chapter 5. It's slowly but gradually getting more interesting. Still nothing too crazy happening right now, but the story is still grabbing me.

I hope the series continues as well, the presentation at the very least is top notch. I also like how it's completely different from what we're used to from Nintendo.

Sad the games never went on sale, makes me think they're not expecting much.
I believe its like the bayo 1&2 situation, where they did the double pack so I guess they cant put them on sale cause they are already discounted? Its weird lol.

Fantastic presentation. MAGES said they were down for another game so that's a plus.

I believe its like the bayo 1&2 situation, where they did the double pack so I guess they cant put them on sale cause they are already discounted? Its weird lol.

Fantastic presentation. MAGES said they were down for another game so that's a plus.
Yeah, i noticed it. But they could still give the double pack a discount lol.

That's awesome, I hope Nintendo can be convinced to make a another one as well.

Finished Famicom Detective Club the Missing Heir. The latter half was very enjoyable, nothing too mind blowing in the plot.

the main character being the Ayashiro heir wasn't something I expected until late into the story. Also Amachi being the true killer was a nice surprise, but I suspected him either being Kazuto or Kanda. Though it was pretty anti climactic how he was caught.

I'm also a little disappointed how little Ayumi was involved in the game. Though I guess she will be more important in the Girl Who Stands Behind.

Since I'm still in a reading mood, I'm starting the other game as well.

So both the regular and deluxe versions are live (I am not sure if they were before) and there is a -10% off both versions from now till I believe a week after release.

EDIT: It seems the Switch/Steam discount is for everyone but the PS discount is for PS Plus subscribers.

Last edited:
Finished Famicom Detective Club the Girl Who Stands Behind. I liked this one way better than the Missing Heir. The mystery and characters were more interesting.

I like how Urabe was suspicious all the way through. Later on, we knew something was up with Hibino, but Urabe was still the prime suspect. I did not expect him to commit suicide. I thought that was it, with him being the killer. Until Hibino loses it, turns out Urabe was protecting him after all and was indeed a good guy like everyone who knew him was saying.

I still don't get why the Yoko was behaving so creepy, I guess she really was possessed by Shinobu? But they never really confirmed anything.

In the end, I think this is a series that's worth continuing. I don't think it sold very well, but I hope Nintendo will keep it alive. It's very different from anything Nintendo does. I hope Sakamoto pushes for it.

Leans on the horror, not as scary as Death Mark though, but a fantastic game.

I have this game and haven’t had the time to get to it yet. At this point I’m thinking of making it my Halloween game, maybe trade time with Mario Wonder if I start to get too creeped out.

I have this game and haven’t had the time to get to it yet. At this point I’m thinking of making it my Halloween game, maybe trade time with Mario Wonder if I start to get too creeped out.
Halloween seems a good time for it. I would say its more thriller than horror.

I do not like horror/occult stuff at all. So what I did for this one (and Death Mark) was played it between 8 am and 12 pm. Nothing more nothing less, usually like a 45-75 minutes session. It took me a while to finish but I could sleep at night lol.

In the end, I think this is a series that's worth continuing. I don't think it sold very well, but I hope Nintendo will keep it alive. It's very different from anything Nintendo does. I hope Sakamoto pushes for it.
Yeah, its difficult to know what a good performance for this type of game to be. Last know physicals sales in Japan were around 21k (combine) add 25-35% digital (based on nintendo games) plus rough charting on other eshops, optimistically 40-50k? Some adventure/vn games barely make it to 15k (AI for example) so who knows.

Yeah, its difficult to know what a good performance for this type of game to be. Last know physicals sales in Japan were around 21k (combine) add 25-35% digital (based on nintendo games) plus rough charting on other eshops, optimistically 40-50k? Some adventure/vn games barely make it to 15k (AI for example) so who knows.
Yeah, i think in the end it's all about Nintendo's expectations for its performance. I'm very happy they made this anyway.

finished Fate Hollow Ataraxia a week ago
Awesome game!
Some problems here and there but overall Amazing! especially the comedy. damn it's funny.

This was my first Type-Moon Visual Novel experience and if they're all at least this good, then I cannot wait for Tsukihime Remake's official translation.

I guess we now have the intro video to the game

For non-twitter users. Plus the website.

I like the vibe, it reminds me of Bustafellows.

Cool. Was wondering what Kozaki had been up to.
Bet he must also be back on for Daemon X Machina 2 as well.

A quick translate of the main character profile reads that she can read people people's memories and emotions by touching them and is a Uni student studying in Italy where she is accused of murder whilst in Rome.

Halloween seems a good time for it. I would say its more thriller than horror.

I do not like horror/occult stuff at all. So what I did for this one (and Death Mark) was played it between 8 am and 12 pm. Nothing more nothing less, usually like a 45-75 minutes session. It took me a while to finish but I could sleep at night lol.
After a certain point, I felt like Paranormasight basically became a cop story with a couple of horror elements rather than actual horror. It's not bad, but I was hoping the atmosphere stayed strong all the way through.

After over 120 hours I fiiiinally finished Higurashi no naku koro ni.
I played the Switch version so I had to read some side stories in between which nearly made me give up but I stayed strong and finished Matsuribayashi and Miotsukushi Omote.
I don't know if I should continue with Miotsukushi-Ura and Kotohogushi.
I've read good things about Kotohogushi but I already skipped most of Miotsukushi Omote because I just wanted to get to the end already.
Overall it was a very satisfying ending and a good story but the slice of life was very difficult to get through.

Now I'm thinking about starting another VN. I have Umineko, Steins;Gate, Witch on the Holy Night, Digimon Survive, Yu-No, Loopers, House in Fata Morgana and Raging Loop on my reading list. Any suggestions? I like psychological Thrillers, Horror and plot twists.

I'd love to read Fate stay/night at some point and hope it will eventually come to the Switch.

The first official Tsukihime localized trailer.

I like psychological Thrillers, Horror and plot twists.

I'd love to read Fate stay/night at some point and hope it will eventually come to the Switch.
Conveniently, this is a urban psychological thriller/horror VN made by Type-Moon, who also made Fate/stay night and Witch on the Holy Night. Unfortunately, you can't read it yet since it's a 2024 release.

Now I'm thinking about starting another VN. I have Umineko, Steins;Gate, Witch on the Holy Night, Digimon Survive, Yu-No, Loopers, House in Fata Morgana and Raging Loop on my reading list. Any suggestions? I like psychological Thrillers, Horror and plot twists.
Out of that list the biggest outlier is digimon survive cause it has combat (its simple though). I loved it, the story gets dark and it encourages multiple playthroughs. Morgana is rather long (I still haven't finished it) but it has great scenes. Outside of those I have not played the others (I do have Witch and Loopers).

For other recommendations of ones I've played: Paranormasight (thriller/occult) and Spirit Hunter: Death Mark or NG (horror/occult).

The first official Tsukihime localized trailer.

Conveniently, this is a urban psychological thriller/horror VN made by Type-Moon, who also made Fate/stay night and Witch on the Holy Night. Unfortunately, you can't read it yet since it's a 2024 release.

Would you suggest reading Witch on the Holy Night before or after Tsukihime? Is it a long read?

Out of that list the biggest outlier is digimon survive cause it has combat (its simple though). I loved it, the story gets dark and it encourages multiple playthroughs. Morgana is rather long (I still haven't finished it) but it has great scenes. Outside of those I have not played the others (I do have Witch and Loopers).

For other recommendations of ones I've played: Paranormasight (thriller/occult) and Spirit Hunter: Death Mark or NG (horror/occult).
Thank you! Digimon Survive sounds really interesting

Would you suggest reading Witch on the Holy Night before or after Tsukihime? Is it a long read?
I suggest reading Witch before Tsukihime, and it's a fairly short VN. The length is similar to that of an Higurashi/Umineko installment.

Anonymous;Code is getting really good reviews! (87 MC so far).

Anonymous;Code is getting really good reviews! (87 MC so far).

Oh dang. I've been so busy I forgot its launching Friday. I am debating on getting it now (even if I dont play it day 1) cause there is a discount lol.

Also, from the reviews it seems that its a good starting point for the SciAdv games, there are references to previous entries of course. Thats good cause I havent played all of them lol.

Yeah it very much sounds standalone from the reviews (I've only played Steins;Gate), also same studio that made the Famicom Detective Club Remakes, of course. I'll try and get the ST out in the next couple of days as soon as I have proper time to dedicate to it.

If you like psychological thrillers/horror, from your list I'd recommend Raging Loop first and then Umineko!
It's only because Umineko is huge I feel it'd be worth playing RL first to avoid a burn out haha.

Fata Morgana is a really unique and great vn too!

Since this thread got bumped earlier today, I wanted to share one my favorite tweets I saw RT’d from the last week or so:

I’ve had some VN fights that really hit for me with art like this before haha.

Just came to say I finished Stella of the End today... What a hauntingly beautiful sci-fi work. I've played a number of Key games before, and this may be my new favorite. I became a fan of the writer, Romeo Tanaka, after reading Rewrite. Funny enough, I played Rewrite bc it had a route by Ryukishi07, but it ended up being all the stuff written by Romeo Tanaka that stuck with me. And man, he really nailed the worldbuilding and characters in Stella of the End.

It's worth a read and a few cry sessions lol. I am in a mood today after finishing this one.

If anyone wants to try out a bunch of free, horror/Halloween themed visual novels, you can check out the Spooktober VN Jam page here! People had the month of September to make a visual novel from scratch. Most of them aren't too long, so check out whichever catches your eye. I've played some really fun ones!

...and full disclosure, one of the entries is mine, but I won't plug it here. :p

Now I feel like I need to pick up Stella of the End! On another note, I finally started Ghost Trick (if that counts at all as a VN?) and after just the first two “chapters” it’s already hooking me. Not sure when I’ll have much time to continue but I’m looking forward to it.

I finished off Paranormasight for spooky season, and I guess I was feeling the mystery VN still so I just started Process of Elimination. It's... interesting, so far. The premise seems decent, and I just finished the tutorial for the almost tactics-like investigation sections, which seem like they could be fun. So far there haven't really been any choices or decisions to be made, though, so I'm hoping the game lets you go a bit more freely now that the tutorial part is over.

I finished off Paranormasight for spooky season, and I guess I was feeling the mystery VN still so I just started Process of Elimination. It's... interesting, so far. The premise seems decent, and I just finished the tutorial for the almost tactics-like investigation sections, which seem like they could be fun. So far there haven't really been any choices or decisions to be made, though, so I'm hoping the game lets you go a bit more freely now that the tutorial part is over.
I started the demo way back when it was announced but I haven't gotten back to it. If you do stick with it, feel free to share your thoughts, I really enjoyed the premise but the demo was kinda limited on choices.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/10/muv...g-2024-teito-moyu-coming-to-steam-in-november

Just Japan for now but cool to see. My only exposure to Muv Luv has been videos and spinoff anime lol

At this point I'm not bothered with waiting for them to release on Switch here. You'll need more than the first game and Alternative to get the full enjoyment imo.
There is still the Day After games, photon flower and photon melon etc.
All of which are on Steam and discounted right now!

At this point I'm not bothered with waiting for them to release on Switch here. You'll need more than the first game and Alternative to get the full enjoyment imo.
There is still the Day After games, photon flower and photon melon etc.
All of which are on Steam and discounted right now!
Yeah, there is so much they would need to port to get the full experience. I watched like a movie length youtube video on the series, going over the series and its too much lol.

I started the demo way back when it was announced but I haven't gotten back to it. If you do stick with it, feel free to share your thoughts, I really enjoyed the premise but the demo was kinda limited on choices.
I’m up to Chapter 3 now and I have some issues with the game, but it’s gotten better and I’m interested in the story and characters more. What’s interesting is that parts of the game are definitely influenced by Danganronpa like the “summarize the mystery with jazzy music” bits, but overall the games are quite different. Hard to go into too much detail without spoilers though.

Good points: Some interesting mysteries, the cast of characters is decent and not too obnoxious or annoying, and the tactical investigation bits are pretty fun.

Bad points: There are some instant game over sections during those tactics parts and sometimes they pop up unexpectedly so you have to start over. The game also feels overly talky, even for a VN. And other than some action near the beginning, the game feels rather slow to get going.

Could be good or bad depending on how you feel: This game is like 90% pure visual novel with no choices or interaction at all. Other than the small tactical segments and answering some questions afterward, you don’t actually do anything. You don’t ever explore, or choose people to talk to, or wander around investigating, etc. Danganronpa/Ace Attorney this is not.

So currently I’m invested enough to keep playing, but I’m not loving it. I think the next chapter or two will make or break the game for me, so I’ll update more soon!

New Trailer for the western release of SH Death Mark 2. Really excited to play this game. I saw the initial japanese teaser trailer so I new some of the mechanics, but there is a bunch of new stuff, some I am not sure about lol.

The Even If Tempest devs have 3 games in the works. Vampire Hunter's key art has some Persona 5 pose vibes lol.

Back
Top Bottom