• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Visual Novels |ST| Let’s-a-read!

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Welcome to the strange, wonderful, sometimes wholesome and always emotionally resonant world of Visual Novels, and the Famiboards ST for this most peculiar branch of gaming!

Bsqmn3M.jpg

WHAT IS A VISUAL NOVEL?

(From Wikipedia)

A visual novel (Japanese: ビジュアルノベル, Hepburn: bijuaru noberu), often abbreviated as VN, is an interactive fiction video game genre, featuring text-based story with narrative style of literature and interactivity aided by static or sprite-based visuals, most often using anime-style art or occasionally live-action stills (and sometimes video footage). As the name suggests, they resemble mixed-media novels.

WHERE DO I GET ONE?

Visual Novels is a genre that gains traction and spreads its wings pretty much anywhere and everywhere. Some platforms have a bigger library than others. The most notable platform is probably Steam - which has a dedicated tag to the genre that yields hundreds of results, both big and small. When it was in production, the PlayStation Vita was also considered a great home for VN’s, with a huge library containing a lot of classics. Recently, the Nintendo Switch has become a popular home for the genre, probably due to the convenience of the platform’s handheld nature, which lends itself well to the genre.

WHAT DO I GET?

Below is a list of some acclaimed Visual Novels:

R9rRYcF.jpg

STEINS;GATE
by 5pb, Nitroplus
Available on: Xbox 360, PC, PSP, iOS, PS3, PS Vita, Android

"STEINS;GATE follows a rag-tag band of tech-savvy young students who discover the means of changing the past via mail, using a modified microwave. Their experiments into how far they can go with their discovery begin to spiral out of control as they become entangled in a conspiracy surrounding SERN, the organisation behind the Large Hadron Collider, and John Titor who claims to be from a dystopian future."

NaO0X4l.jpg

Doki Doki Literature Club
by Team Salvato
Available on: Linux, Mac, PC (Plus version: Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series, PC, Mac)

"Welcome to the Literature Club! It's always been a dream of mine to make something special out of the things I love. Now that you're a club member, you can help me make that dream come true in this cute game!
I'm super excited for you to make friends with everyone and help the Literature Club become a more intimate place for all my members. But I can tell already that you're a sweetheart—will you promise to spend the most time with me? ♥ "

qbJR4md.jpg

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
by Sukeban Games
Available on: PC, Mac, Linux, PS Vita, Switch, PS4

"In this world, corporations reign supreme, all human life is infected with nanomachines designed to oppress them, and the terrifying White Knights ensure that everyone obeys the laws.
But, this is not about those people.
You are a bartender at VA-11 HALL-A, affectionately nicknamed "Valhalla." Although it is just a small bar downtown, it attracts the most fascinating people this side of dystopia. Keep your clients lubricated and you will be made privy to the most interesting stories."

AN08TLm.jpg

Hatoful Boyfriend
by Hato Moa
Available on: PS4, Android, iOS, PC, Linux, Mac, PS Vita

"Congratulations! You’ve been accepted as the only human student at the prestigious St. PigeoNation’s Institute, a school for talented birds! Roam the halls and find love in between classes as a sophomore student at the world’s greatest pigeon high school. Finding happiness won’t be easy, but it’s not all academic - there’s always time for a little romance in this delightful remake of Hato Moa’s popular visual novel / avian dating sim Hatoful Boyfriend!"

un5K7K2.jpg

Clannad
by Key
Available on: Switch, PS4, Android, PS2

"After the death of his mother, Tomoya Okazaki—a guarded delinquent student at Hikarizaka High School—struggles to not only make sense of the abusive relationship he has with his alcoholic father, but also find meaning in his life. While on his way to class one morning, he meets a mystifying girl named Nagisa. She is a delinquent like him, but only because she is repeating her senior year, unlike the perpetually tardy Okazaki. From their brief encounter, Nagisa decides they should be friends, and enlists Tomoya's help to revive the school drama club. Not being busy in any way, he decides to join in. Along the way, the two make friends with many other students and try to find both solace and belonging in their endeavors."

lb9Od7G.jpg

The House in Fata Morgana
by Novectacle
Available on: Switch, PS4, iOS, PC, PS Vita, Nintendo 3DS

"A woman with eyes of jade stands before You, informing You that You are the Master of the house, and she Your Maid. However, You have no memories, no concept of self—or, indeed, any certainty that You are even alive.
The Maid invites You to join her on a journey through the mansion's lifeless halls, to behold the numerous tragedies that have befallen its residents. She suggests that among them, perhaps You will find some trace of Yourself."

WHAT MORE DO I GET?

Below is a list of some acclaimed visual novel series:

v6Pkht5.jpg

The Danganronpa series
Mainline entries: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

In Danganronpa, a bear-machine called Monokuma forces group of sixteen high school students into murdering each other in a dangerous game. The only way out is to kill another student and remain innocent under the ’Class Trials’. The game is separated in three parts over six chapters: Daily Life, Deadly Life and Class Trial. Daily Life are the narrative-heavy segments where players explore the school grounds, converse with characters, and progress the story. Deadly Life is the post-murder investigation part of the story, in which players search for clues and gather evidence for the Class Trial. The Class Trial, then, is the main section of the game, in which the students attempt to determine the culprit.

dzLwdLE.jpg

The Zero Escape series
Mainline entries: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma

In The Zero Escape series, nine individuals are trapped inside a game of death. In order to escape the game, they have to follow a set of rules and work together and sometimes against each other. The game is divided into two types of gameplay: ”Escape the room”-type puzzle rooms where the player must use clues and deductions to solve a puzzle, and story sections heavy on dialogue. The cast is faced with dilemmas of whether or not they can trust each other, and always live in fear of getting backstabbed. The games feature a vast flowchart that requires multiple playthroughs in order to see the full picture of what’s really happening.

feLkfuC.jpg

The Ace Attorney series

Mainline entries: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright: Justice for All, Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice

In the games of the Ace Attorney series, you play as lawyer Phoenix Wright. It is up to you to gather evidence and talk to characters and face off in hectic court battles against various prosecutors. The games are split into two sections - investigations, and trials. During investigations, the player talks with characters and investigate environments with the purpose of gathering evidence for the trial. In the trial, you listen to witness statemets and cross-examine them to find contradictions that can turn the trial around in your favor - as well as facing off in hectic verbal battles against your opponent on the other side of the court. The series are known for its colorful cast of characters and trials that are rife with plot-twists.

AWESOME! ANYTHING ELSE?

Be sure to check out the highly valuable resource of Visual Novel Database for an extensive index of VN's - https://vndb.org
___

Let’s read together, fam!

Obligatory thread for any Switch user.
Still reading The House in Fata Morgana. Raging Loop is waiting on the backlog.

I hope Tsukihime get localized next year.

Picking up Raging Loop since I have a weak spot for psychological horror and the game is on sale on eShop. Though I really need to start VA-11 HALL-A first and clear up my back log ... Will update this post with my impression as things go on.
Looking forward to hear what you think of VA-11 HALL-A. Damn, they really nailed the aesthetics of the game. The soundtrack slaps hard, and it's nice that you can choose songs on your own.

There seems to be a lot of VN's on sale right now, I recently picked up Yu-No. The time machine stuff is extremely hard to understand.
I went through some hours with VA-11 HALL-A and found it really chill, the best for sth to do before bed time lol. The game dabbles a lot on social commentary so far in a slice-of-life format. I also like how recurring characters reveal more and more about them (and the society around them) over time as they keep revisiting the bar. And yeah the vaporwave soundtrack slaps!

Last edited:
Picking up Raging Loop since I have a weak spot for psychological horror and the game is on sale on eShop. Though I really need to start VA-11 HALL-A first and clear up my back log ... Will update this post with my impression as things go on.

Looking forward to hear what you think of VA-11 HALL-A. Damn, they really nailed the aesthetics of the game. The soundtrack slaps hard, and it's nice that you can choose songs on your own.

There seems to be a lot of VN's on sale right now, I recently picked up Yu-No. The time machine stuff is extremely hard to understand.

Currently turning Steins;Gate My Darlings Embrace in a platinum. I needed something lighthearted to play and its been fun with my fellow labmembers.

Great thread! I havent played a ton of VNs this year but the ones I have were great!

I played VA-11 HALL-A over the Christmas break in early January and that was really nice. There's a fun playfulness with the characters that manages to to capture the feel of familiarity people build up day to day that a lot of games struggle to emulate, I was really impressed by that aspect. I liked it enough to want to spread the joy so I bought it for my sister on steam and she hasn't played it ☠

Also I played Famicom Detective Club and those were really fun. Despite the age of their foundations they held up really well and were fun mysteries. It would be cool if Nintendo ran with them and did new entries. I wouldn't say they left a deep impact but they were really cool and it was interesting to see the second game improve upon the second game even within the context of both being remade. As one big playthrough they were very much worth the asking price.

I havent grabbed the great ace collection yet but that's probably my next port of call for VNs and it'll be nice to have Danganronpa on something more modern than the vita come Christmas.

I played some of the VNs mentioned in OP, some I really liked (Zero Escape series, Ace Attorney series, Doki Doki Literature Club) and some I liked a little less but still liked (specifically Steins Gate).

A bit dated but I had a good time with Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir (haven't played the second one yet).

Raging Loop is an overall very good horror VN.

One VN I am playing right now which I REALLY dislike is Suda's The Silver Case. There are people that like it apparently, good for them, no idea how it could be though as I feel just like the reviewer from Nintendo Life (that gave it a 3/10). Since I already got to where I got I will probably play it to the end though just to try to figure out a bit more of the story (urgh).

A VN that I didn't even bother going through with was "Alternate Jake Hunter: DAEDALUS The Awakening of Golden Jazz". The first real case there was so bad and so full of plot holes that I couldn't bear it any more. I think quite a number of my brain cells died that day. Luckily I didn't pay much for the game.

I got my copy of Doki Doki coming in the mail so I do have it and House in Fata Morgana to try and play
Haha you're in for a treat. Let's just say that the warning you get at the beginning of the game is not a joke.

I know they're not on Switch, but if you have a Vita I heartily recommend Muv-Luv, Utawarerumono, and Chaos;Child. If you've got a PC, or are getting a Steam Deck - Higurashi, Umineko, 428: Shibuya Scramble, Full Metal Demon Muramasa and Baldr Sky are all well worth reading, too.

I played some of the VNs mentioned in OP, some I really liked (Zero Escape series, Ace Attorney series, Doki Doki Literature Club) and some I liked a little less but still liked (specifically Steins Gate).

A bit dated but I had a good time with Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir (haven't played the second one yet).

Raging Loop is an overall very good horror VN.

One VN I am playing right now which I REALLY dislike is Suda's The Silver Case. There are people that like it apparently, good for them, no idea how it could be though as I feel just like the reviewer from Nintendo Life (that gave it a 3/10). Since I already got to where I got I will probably play it to the end though just to try to figure out a bit more of the story (urgh).

A VN that I didn't even bother going through with was "Alternate Jake Hunter: DAEDALUS The Awakening of Golden Jazz". The first real case there was so bad and so full of plot holes that I couldn't bear it any more. I think quite a number of my brain cells died that day. Luckily I didn't pay much for the game.

Haha you're in for a treat. Let's just say that the warning you get at the beginning of the game is not a joke.

I’ve seen some play throughs of it so I know the twists but I am excited to try it myself

Should I get my hopes up for a localized Tsukihime remake or should I just read the original? Is that translation even good?

Glad to see Fata Morgana in the OP! Months later and I'm still completely awestruck by that game (and its gorgeous OST.)

Add me to the list of people looking at Raging Loop at some point. I plan to pick it up once I finally finish Gnosia.

Great thread.

Raging Loop is one of my favourite games this year. Only flaw is imo it dragged a little towards the end.

Funnily enough, most of the games I've actually completed this year are visual novels (Great Ace Attorney, Fata Morgana, SeaBed, and Famicom Detective Club).

All great experiences. The Detective Club games definitely show their age in some spots, but both still had great atmosphere and an engaging story and cast.

Gnosia will probably be the next on the list.

Been wanting to pick up Fata Morgana on Switch but I read elsewhere that the music is pretty compressed, anybody here have impressions on that front?

Been wanting to pick up Fata Morgana on Switch but I read elsewhere that the music is pretty compressed, anybody here have impressions on that front?
I'm not an audiophile, so I may not be the best one to answer this question, but I pulled out a track at random on Youtube to compare with the game and while it was a little richer sounding on YT, if the music on Switch is compressed much, it doesn't sound it in practice.
(Listening via AirPods Max.)

Glad to see Fata Morgana in the OP! Months later and I'm still completely awestruck by that game (and its gorgeous OST.)

Add me to the list of people looking at Raging Loop at some point. I plan to pick it up once I finally finish Gnosia.

I know, right? It was legit, hands down, one of the most impactful experiences I've had in a game in a long time. I've gone back to a second playthrough now and I can't play the 4th door without crying. And that's not the end, the game goes even further beyond that. The way the story comes together as the end was so masterfully executed. And yes, the OST is phenomenal.

Really need to get around to play Requiem and Reincarnation next.

Gnosia will probably be the next on the list.

Gnosia is unbelievable, still my favorite game I've played this year. It just works so well, and probably works even better now that they've fixed a few awkward parts in the translation.

I'm currently slowly playing through Great Ace Attorney (just finished 1-2) and man, even though they've been taking their time introducing the mechanics, I'm really enjoying the hell out of it. Like I still never played AA6 because I just couldn't get into it, but this is amazing AA goodness so far. Ryonosuke dancing around with Sholmes is just a delight to see.
I have Raging Loop and VA-11 HALL-A on my Switch backlog, and I'm eagerly anticipating the Somnium Files sequel coming next year, although I hope they can drop the incredibly juvenile fanservice, as unlikely as that may seem.
Also, this seems like a good thread for this question: I'm much more likely to actually play visual novels on Switch than PC, but I've heard the original version of Steins;Gate is better than Elite. Is it so much of a difference that I should wait to get it on Steam?

I watched an anime adaptation of DRAMAtical Murder, and it was really great.
It's based on a BL visual novel that's available on Steam. I never played it, but I am interested.
I'm interested in the genre. Last night I finished Fate Apocrypha and I think Fate is based of visual novels. Any indication of where I begin in this series?
If anyone could indicate me some visual novels that are playable on PSP, GBA, 3DS or Wii emulators, or for Android or PC I would really appreciate it! If y'all know any with LGBTQ characters I would love even more.

I started AI: Somnium Files. Its interesting so far, but some of the interactions between what I think is the main two leads is uncomfortable to me.

Does anyone that has played the game can tell me if the main character stops being kind of a pervert to his "dream" companion? its not that bad compared to other anime stuff but it takes me out of the game each time the MC makes those comments.

I started AI: Somnium Files. Its interesting so far, but some of the interactions between what I think is the main two leads is uncomfortable to me.

I recently completed it. I have mixed feelings on it. The last stretch is amazing and makes up somewhat for the slow as molasses pacing in the middle. But some of those middle sections really are a drag. The author also withholds so many vital information that the questions keep piling up with no way for me to deduce any of the answers. Towards the end when that vital information is dropped, all the pieces fits together, it feels amazing. But it also feels like it took too long to get there.

As someone who likes their mystery stories to unravel little by little as the story continues, I feel kinda unsatisfied until I reach the final stretch. Overall, pretty great vn and worth reading.

The protaganist only stops acting that way at the very end. It's not explicitly spelled out, but my interpretation is that there's a reason for the protaganist's behaviour.

I know, right? It was legit, hands down, one of the most impactful experiences I've had in a game in a long time. I've gone back to a second playthrough now and I can't play the 4th door without crying. And that's not the end, the game goes even further beyond that. The way the story comes together as the end was so masterfully executed. And yes, the OST is phenomenal.

Really need to get around to play Requiem and Reincarnation next.
...This inspired me to finish my Requiem of Innocence playthrough last night.
Did I get any sleep? No. Was it worth it? Absolutely.
It wasn't like I ever doubted Novectacle's ability to get me good with a story I already knew the basic outline too, but...they really pulled it off. Another beautiful story. Absolutely recommended reading. And it enhances so many things in Door 3 for me.

By the way. Since Hatoful Boyfriend is in the opening, I've been wondering if we should have a separate Otome/Joseimuke thread or if it's okay to discuss those titles here, since they're absolutely visual novels, just with a focus on a specific audience. In any case, I've got a copy of Olympia Soiree arriving soon, and a playthrough of Taisho Alice I still need to get to - once I finish Catboy's Paradise.

I am playing through Fata Morgana now, and I still have steins;gate in my backlog to hit up next. Looking forward to the danganronpa games coming later this year, I have only played the first one.

Under what genre would you categorize Fata Morgana in ? I've heard many praise it, but never seen anyone describe the setting/plot. I have nary a clue what its about.

Under what genre would you categorize Fata Morgana in ? I've heard many praise it, but never seen anyone describe the setting/plot. I have nary a clue what its about.

People say "gothic horror", which sounds about right to me. It's very dark, bleak and depressing and has some bloody parts in it.

You're waking up in a mansion by a maid. You're an amnesiac called the "destitute one". The maid tells you that this mansion is supposedly haunted by a witch, and it has stood here for centuries. The game is about going through "doors", which are flashbacks to various time periods where you follow the family that is living in the mansion at the moment. Aside from very few choices, the VN is completely stripped of gameplay, it's all just dialogue and static images.

Gnosia is unbelievable, still my favorite game I've played this year. It just works so well, and probably works even better now that they've fixed a few awkward parts in the translation.

I'm currently slowly playing through Great Ace Attorney (just finished 1-2) and man, even though they've been taking their time introducing the mechanics, I'm really enjoying the hell out of it. Like I still never played AA6 because I just couldn't get into it, but this is amazing AA goodness so far. Ryonosuke dancing around with Sholmes is just a delight to see.
I have Raging Loop and VA-11 HALL-A on my Switch backlog, and I'm eagerly anticipating the Somnium Files sequel coming next year, although I hope they can drop the incredibly juvenile fanservice, as unlikely as that may seem.
Also, this seems like a good thread for this question: I'm much more likely to actually play visual novels on Switch than PC, but I've heard the original version of Steins;Gate is better than Elite. Is it so much of a difference that I should wait to get it on Steam?

Elite has art that is taken from the anime, and I personally prefer the original art of the OG. I can't speak much of the content though, but from what I've heard, Elite 'streamlines and trims the fat' of the OG by cutting some less relevant content.

People say "gothic horror", which sounds about right to me. It's very dark, bleak and depressing and has some bloody parts in it.

You're waking up in a mansion by a maid. You're an amnesiac called the "destitute one". The maid tells you that this mansion is supposedly haunted by a witch, and it has stood here for centuries. The game is about going through "doors", which are flashbacks to various time periods where you follow the family that is living in the mansion at the moment. Aside from very few choices, the VN is completely stripped of gameplay, it's all just dialogue and static images.

Ah I see, sounds like the type of VN I would need to be in the right mood for. Currently not in the mood for depressing stories. I once tried out higanbana no saku yoru ni, it was so depressing I couldn't finish it even though I am a big fan of the author's other works.

Ok, I finally started Tsukihime (2000)! The translation is a little awkward but it's been a good ride so far. It's funny going from Melty Blood to Tsukihime as the characterization in the VN is way more subtle, obviously. Kohaku specially is the most jarring

Any reason you're going for the original instead of the remake? AFAIK there's already a fan translation for the remake.

Wait, really?! I'm playing the original because I thought the remake would take a while to get translated so I didn't even bother to search for it! haha

Ah, silly me, it was the korean translation. Sorry for getting your hopes up.:cry:

Aww. That's alright, I'm quite enjoying my time with the original. Something about those doujin games from the early 2000s have a very cozy atmosphere for me. When the remake finally gets translated I'm sure enough time will have passed that I'll have an excuse to read it again hehe

I absolutely loved Raging Loop and wish it got more attention.

I’m currently playing through Fata Morgana and really enjoying it so far. Everything about that game appeals to me, from the dark gothic story to the beautiful soundtrack.

I’m also looking forward to Doki Doki Literature Club, but I’m trying hard not to read anything about it before I play it.

Ah yes, this is a thread that speaks to me. Visual novels are like the only games I completed this year.

Looking into Bu$tafellows, but I have not played a otome game as they aren't usually my style.

Has anyone played it and if so would that be a good introduction to an otome style game?

I absolutely loved Raging Loop and wish it got more attention.
The werewolf and mafia parts were amazing. No other media has managed to infllict so much anxiety, unease, desperation and fear in me, especially the darkness route. The only other story that even came close was danganronpa.

However, i was pretty unsatisfied with the overarching mystery.
You need a pretty good grasp of japanese mythology to really appreciate how the mystery was resolved.

I’m also looking forward to Doki Doki Literature Club, but I’m trying hard not to read anything about it before I play it.
Doki doki was pretty good, but I wasn't terribly impressed by it compared to those who were singing praises, having already read another vn that better executed a similar premise.

Now this is a thread for me! Some of my favourite series of all time are visual novels (Ace attorney and Danganronpa mostly).

Finished TGAA last month and what a ride that was, so glad I got to experience some amazing ace attorney goodness this year.

Played almost everything mentioned in the OP, but I’m dying for some more murder mystery/sci-fi VNs (a la 999/DR/AA/Steins Gate). Is raging loop any good ? Also how good is the writing in Muv-Luv ? I heard many good things but the art is making me hesitant to jump in if I’m being honest.

Now this is a thread for me! Some of my favourite series of all time are visual novels (Ace attorney and Danganronpa mostly).

Finished TGAA last month and what a ride that was, so glad I got to experience some amazing ace attorney goodness this year.

Played almost everything mentioned in the OP, but I’m dying for some more murder mystery/sci-fi VNs (a la 999/DR/AA/Steins Gate). Is raging loop any good ? Also how good is the writing in Muv-Luv ? I heard many good things but the art is making me hesitant to jump in if I’m being honest.

I thought Raging Loop was quite good, but a lot of people weren't too happy about how some things in the plot were resolved.

It's still a wild ride regardless, and not an excessively long one (25 hours more or less for the main scenario, but there is a lot of bonus content if you end up wanting more).

If you can stomach some messy RTS, I can't recommend 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim enough.

It was the opposite for me, I played 13 Sentinels and was dying for some more mystery sci-fi VN's and got a lot out of both Steins Gate and 999.

I thought Raging Loop was quite good, but a lot of people weren't too happy about how some things in the plot were resolved.

It's still a wild ride regardless, and not an excessively long one (25 hours more or less for the main scenario, but there is a lot of bonus content if you end up wanting more).

Okay, I might give it a try then, the premise seems right up my alley for sure.

If you can stomach some messy RTS, I can't recommend 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim enough.

It was the opposite for me, I played 13 Sentinels and was dying for some more mystery sci-fi VN's and got a lot out of both Steins Gate and 999.

I started 13 Sentinels back in July and I was HOOKED, and got until halfway through. But then the summer happened and I was away from the game for 2 months and when I tried to get back into it, I was completely lost plot-wise. I decided to drop, sadly. Such a shame because I was enjoying it so much but maybe someday I'll get back into it and start again from scratch.

I've been playing a guilty pleasure in the meantime, an Otome, Olympia Soiree. Although the story hasn't hooked me that much yet, I enjoy the characters and setting (even though it is a little questionable a times tbh). The art is incredible though, and the music is also really good.

Is raging loop any good ?
Raging Loop is great. If I were to compare it to Higurashi, Higurashi trounces it in terms of mystery. However, the thriller, horror aspect make higurashi look tame in comparison.

Although there's no explicit imagery of gore, raging loop's descriptive scenes somehow makes my stomach churn way more than higurashi did.

Some of the tense scenes also made me feel like my heart just slowed to a halt. Be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster.

That said you need to be knowledgable in some things to fully appreciate the overarching mystery. I can tell a lot of effort was put into crafting it, but I simply know too little about the subject matter to truly follow it.

Started playing CLANNAD today on Switch. Not really sure what to think so far but haven't given up yet.

This past year I've been playing a lot of VNs, mostly on Switch physical. Including borderline adventure games, off the top of my head I've done:
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Root Letter
  • Root Film
  • ISLAND
  • If My Heart Had Wings
  • Famicom Detective Club 1 & 2
  • If My Heart Had Wings: Flight Diary (the prequel and after story + Hibari's route)
  • Abyss of the Sacrifice
  • 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
  • Yumeutsutsu Re:Master (dropped about 40% of the way in, really wasn't feeling this one)
  • WorldEnd Syndrome
The stand out is really ISLAND by Frontwing, has a really fantastic story that isn't what I expected at all.

Just checked and I have 42 physical Switch VNs plus a few digital. It's somewhat nonsensical, I could buy this stuff for 1/10th the price on Steam -- I got Fata Morgana there for $8 but am eyeing a lot more than that for an aftermarket LR physical -- it's just really nice playing them on Switch.

Started Raging Loop this week and really excited to see where it goes. I started looking into getting it after Gnosia and was a little bummed that the roles aren't randomised, but I've adjusted my expectations - it's its own thing. The atmosphere is great.

Anyway, play Gnosia, it's a GOTY contender for me. A couple of iffy parts (though when people mentioned them on Twitter the localisation team actually seemed very responsive and eager to make amends), but overall very impressive and really special. I got sucked into it and found the ending and the true ending very moving. Cannot wait to see what they do next and would absolutely love to see more stories in that world.

Also...it's crass and basic of me, but I wish Switch had more gay VNs and that they got localised. Though I understand why we can have PG-13 Dream Daddy and not the more risqué stuff. Imagine a Direct where the 'one more thing' was that we're getting explicit sex scenes when Reborn Ultimate Grand 0 in Late Hyphen: I Was A Salaryman & Now I'm The Werewolf Prince's Concubine launches exclusively on the eShop after today's presentation.

Also how good is the writing in Muv-Luv ? I heard many good things but the art is making me hesitant to jump in if I’m being honest.
I also hated the artstyle, but after powering through it regardless, I would honestly say its worth it.

I also disagree with those who insist Muv Luv Extra is essential and not to be skipped. Even for someone with a huge tolerance for the typical romcom hijinks, I nearly ran out of patience. Instead I would just suggest to read a summary on Extra and skip straight to Unlimited and then Alternative. They're much more interesting.

While its setting is well crafted and thought out, at its heart, Alternative is a war story in a mecha/sci-fi coat of paint. It puts on full display the horrors, helplessness and futility of war, especially of war from the point of view of much inferior forces; sad stories of losses; and that heroism that sometimes shines through it all. If you're looking for that sort of feeling, the writing accentuates them very well.

I can't say I'm very fond of the ending and I'm not one of those that will proclaim Alternative as some kind of work of god, but I can say Alternative is an excellent war story.

Absolutely adored Va11-Hall-A and TGAA is my current GOTY. Glad to see Visual novels getting a presence on Switch and getting more popular in general. I have purchased but still need to set time aside to play through the Famicom Detective Club games.

Gnosia is essential playing for VN fans. It's my current GOTY by a significant margin.

Raging Loop is also a fantastic game, so I'm glad that's getting its due attention in here.

I need to pick up TGAA, as well. Hopefully I can get to it sometime soon.

Looking forward to playing Va11-Hall-A after Metroid Dread.

The Great Ace Attorney is one of my games of the year. As someone who has been on the original series since its Western release in on the DS, I never thought they could top the original trilogy. Too much nostalgia wrapped up in it for me. But they did. I genuinely consider it better than the first three, and I'm amazed I think that. If you go by the typical and stale AA fan conversation of ranking cases, it might not be, but when you take the cast, setting and themes into account the whole story is elevated to another level. The magnificent 3d animations help a lot too. The OST might be my soundtrack of the year. What a game.

Lastly, I hope I don't upset anyone here, but The House in Fata Morgana was one of the worst recommendations I've ever gotten. I'm absolutely astonished at the insanely consistent level of praise it gets without a hint of criticism when I found it so poorly written that I was constantly breaking out in laughter at the bathos present in just about every scene. There is pretty much no recovering as a serious work from some of the "beast" scenes in the second scenario. I stuck with it until I was well past the first four scenarios but it never improved. Read a summary and was glad I bailed when I did. Really, really regret the time I spent hoping it would get better.

Anyway, that's just a dissenting opinion for anyone who hasn't played it yet - because I wish I had read a dissenting opinion but couldn't find even one.

Aw shit, while I've already upset everyone let me just get this out of the way and bounce: VLR -> 999

The stand out is really ISLAND by Frontwing, has a really fantastic story that isn't what I expected at all.
Oh boy, I completed ISLAND a while ago, and had a lot to rant about it. The author's insistence of cramming us with tons of red herrings drags down the beginning half tremendously. Once I arrived at Never Island, it was a joy to read from start to end. The story did a good job of portraying the dire straits.

Beyond that, I became quite befuddled by the true end.
I feel that Kuon/Rinné's anger is wholly unjustified. I felt perplexed when out of nowhere, Kuon/Rinné lashed out at Setsuna for something that, while he's partially responsible for, is also entirely out of his control.

Look, I get that Kuon/Rinné and her daughter was abused by the O'Haras, and as a single mother, she had to fight tooth and nail to raise her daughter, but to blame Setsuna for it... is kind of a misplaced anger. She was the one who decided on her own without consulting him to time jump and then incorrectly set the target date.

I'm not going to pretend Setsuna is some kind of Saint. He makes a big fool of himself and did horrible things, but even I feel he was wronged in this instance. And to put the cherry on the cake, she didn't even see it worthy of her time to see him off when he decided to dedicate his life to fulfill her dream.

To see that ball of optimism and joy that is Rinné reduced to the bitter and standoffish Kuon is quite saddening.

Just checked and I have 42 physical Switch VNs plus a few digital. It's somewhat nonsensical, I could buy this stuff for 1/10th the price on Steam -- I got Fata Morgana there for $8 but am eyeing a lot more than that for an aftermarket LR physical -- it's just really nice playing them on Switch.

After playing some visual novels on switch I always wished I could play the entire windows visual novel library on it.

I was ecstatic with the prospect of a windows handheld produced by valve, but was soon disappointed when I looked at the size and the button layout.

The steam deck is more or less the size of a 13.3 inch laptop with controller buttons slapped on it. At that point, if you have to give up so much of the comfort in terms of both ergonomics and weight, why even bother?

I just hope homebrew is possible on the switch successor and that windows on arm can somehow run on it.

Doki doki was pretty good, but I wasn't terribly impressed by it compared to those who were singing praises, having already read another vn that better executed a similar premise.
I did wonder if it could possibly be as good as everyone made it out to be as I saw a lot of people saying it was the best vn ever etc. Still I will hopefully get around to it eventually.

Does anyone here recommend Worldend Syndrome? It’s currently on sale and I’m wondering if it’s worth grabbing. I prefer my VNs to be creepy or utterly bonkers.

I did wonder if it could possibly be as good as everyone made it out to be as I saw a lot of people saying it was the best vn ever etc. Still I will hopefully get around to it eventually.

Does anyone here recommend Worldend Syndrome? It’s currently on sale and I’m wondering if it’s worth grabbing. I prefer my VNs to be creepy or utterly bonkers.
Among all the VNs that I read on switch, World End Syndrome was my biggest disappointment, along with Our World is Ended. The individual character routes were too plain and run of the mill. The structure of the vn where character events are found at randomized locations and times didn't help with the pacing at all. If you have to pick it up, I strongly suggest following a guide.

Maybe the overarching story is good. Maybe its worth trudging through the character routes for it. But judging just from the writing in the individual routes, it didn't fill me with confidence for the endgame. So far of the 2 character routes I played, it didn't feel particularly creepy.

I haven't played world end club yet, but it might be just as disappointing. World End Economica might end up being the only good "World End" visual novel on switch. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom