• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Visions of Mana announced for PS4/5/Xbox Series and Steam (2024)

new details and screenshots

Visions-of-Mana_2024_03-28-24_004-768x1084.png
Visions-of-Mana_2024_03-28-24_008-768x1084.png
Visions-of-Mana_2024_03-28-24_012-768x942.png
Visions-of-Mana_2024_03-28-24_016-768x853.png

What games have Ouka Studio made? I'm having a hard time finding any info about them aside from the fact that they're under Net Ease.

Mana not releasing on Switch puts a damper on Square Enix as a Switch supporter. It shows that any game that takes more than minimal effort to port to Switch will not be bothered to release on Switch. Only games that take minimal effort like Final Fantasy pixel remaster will get a Switch release.

They are still the PS focused publisher they've always been, by and large. Its not just their AAA games skipping Nintendo, AA games like Mana and Star Ocean are also skipping Nintendo. I would put them in the same tier of mediocre Switch support as other big, Japanese publishers.

Mana not releasing on Switch puts a damper on Square Enix as a Switch supporter. It shows that any game that takes more than minimal effort to port to Switch will not be bothered to release on Switch. Only games that take minimal effort like Final Fantasy pixel remaster will get a Switch release.

They are still the PS focused publisher they've always been, by and large. Its not just their AAA games skipping Nintendo, AA games like Mana and Star Ocean are also skipping Nintendo. I would put them in the same tier of mediocre Switch support as other big, Japanese publishers.
This is probably the same situation as Persona 3 Reload. Why bother putting in the effort to port it to Switch when these companies likely have Switch 2 dev kits and would probably just rather port it to Switch 2. People will say "why ignore the large install base" but fans of these games are the types of gamers who would move to a new generation for these games.

I'd rather have these games on Switch 2 during its first year compared to Switch's 8th year.

Square Enix has been one of the best Switch supporters though. I went through my library sorted by publisher and Square is the second-largest group by far, second only to Nintendo themselves. Octopath was Nintendo exclusive for a good long while, Live A Live still is Nintendo exclusive, Triangle Strategy is a Nintendo exclusive. You say they're "PS focused" with Mana and Star Ocean "skipping Nintendo," but Collection of Mana is still a Switch exclusive, Trials of Mana was revealed in a Nintendo Direct, Star Ocean SSR was revealed in a Direct... I feel like the only way one could see Square as being PS-focused with their games skipping the platform is if you somehow ignore all the Square games that have come to the platform.

As for Visions of Mana, I will do a Shocked Pikachu Face if that game isn't immediately announced for 2witch as soon as that system is revealed. I would very strongly bet that it isn't skipping Nintendo, just waiting for the more powerful one.

This is probably the same situation as Persona 3 Reload. Why bother putting in the effort to port it to Switch when these companies likely have Switch 2 dev kits and would probably just rather port it to Switch 2. People will say "why ignore the large install base" but fans of these games are the types of gamers who would move to a new generation for these games.

I'd rather have these games on Switch 2 during its first year compared to Switch's 8th year.
Not exactly the same situation.

Persona has always been a mainly Playstation franchise, it still has a strong audience on that platform. Even without a Switch version, which arguably would be a good selling version, game has become somewhat successful.

But Mana is different. Despite many entries it got on Playstation the series have never been successful there. It's more associated with Nintendo due to legacy of Secret of Mana on SNES and NoA's publishing & marketing efforts for 2 Mana games in the past (Sword and Children). I'm not saying it's guaranteed to fail, Square can always surprise us with a huge marketing push, but it's very much obvious, its audience is not there. And it's not something like Secret of Mana remake we got years ago, this is a high budget full price title. Without a Switch version they're gonna lose a lot of money on this and I'm not sure they'll bother with a zero install base successor version nearly a year later. Square has much bigger games to port.

Square Enix has been one of the best Switch supporters though. I went through my library sorted by publisher and Square is the second-largest group by far, second only to Nintendo themselves. Octopath was Nintendo exclusive for a good long while, Live A Live still is Nintendo exclusive, Triangle Strategy is a Nintendo exclusive. You say they're "PS focused" with Mana and Star Ocean "skipping Nintendo," but Collection of Mana is still a Switch exclusive, Trials of Mana was revealed in a Nintendo Direct, Star Ocean SSR was revealed in a Direct... I feel like the only way one could see Square as being PS-focused with their games skipping the platform is if you somehow ignore all the Square games that have come to the platform.

As for Visions of Mana, I will do a Shocked Pikachu Face if that game isn't immediately announced for 2witch as soon as that system is revealed. I would very strongly bet that it isn't skipping Nintendo, just waiting for the more powerful one.
I was about to make a similar post when I read that comment lol. Seriously, after being very disappointed by their 3DS output the Switch era has been a breath of fresh air. You also forgot to mention we got Bravely Default II, Harvestella, and Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince as Switch console exclusives and the reveal of SaGa Emerald Beyond in a Direct as well. Square Enix has been one of the best third party publishers on the Switch and any attempt at painting them as "mediocre support" is just blindly ignoring that.

Game looks fun, I hope it isn't too basic though. Would be nice to see some clever uses of the element spells, hope they have good puzzles. Honestly not liking the look of the aerial combat though.

You also forgot to mention we got Bravely Default II, Harvestella, and Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince as Switch console exclusives and the reveal of SaGa Emerald Beyond in a Direct as well. Square Enix has been one of the best third party publishers on the Switch and any attempt at painting them as "mediocre support" is just blindly ignoring that.
Good point: there have been so many Square games and exclusives on Switch that I was literally forgetting some

Yeah hasn’t Square Enix put out like 30 games on Switch

Or at least, if I look through my games collection-
DQ Builders
DQ Builders 2
DQ XI
DQ Monsters
DQ Treasures
Bravely Default 2
Triangle Strategy
Octopath Traveller
Octopath Traveller 2
Harvestella
Neo World Ends With You
Diofield Chronicle
Voice of Cards I/II/III
Oninaki
I am Setsuna
Lost Sphear
Trials of Mana
Front Mission 1/2
Tactics Ogre
Star Ocean 2R
FF crisis core reunion
Theatrhythm

I’m sure I’ve left loads out (Wasn’t there a World of FF remaster and some Saga games too?) I mean, not all developed or published by them where the remakes are concerned but it doesn’t seem ‘mediocre’ to me

DQXI and Octopath II are probably my two favourite games on the platform.

Last edited:
Don’t make me take a photo of my physical Switch library (which is probably 25% S-E by volume) to help prove a point.

Get out of here with that “damper on S-E Switch support” nonsense. We haven’t seen this many Square-Enix titles on a Nintendo platform since the SNES days. This is not even up for debate.

Back
Top Bottom