• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic US Politics |ST| The Kyrsten Sinema-tic Universe

Legal Eagle did a video about the Trump organization getting it's business licenses revoked. Apparently, it's actually worse than it sounds, to the point where Trump probably won't be able to wiggle out of it.

Rather than summarize it, I'll recommend that you watch it. Trump's lawyer's incompetence is just hysterical to listen to, even without Legal Eagle's snark. Like, this all could have been avoided if Trump's lawyer checked the right box on a forum and requested a jury trial.

EDIT: Choice quotes include:
"(The) defendants arguments ... invoke the time-loop in the film "Ground Hog Day." ...The Defendants contention that a different procedural posture mandates a reconsideration ... is pure sophistry."

"In rejecting such arguments for the second time, this Court cautioned that "sophisticated counsel should have known better." ... However, the Court declined to impose sanctions, believing it had "made its point."

Apparently, the point was not received.
"
The Judge, written in ink, as part of his refusal of a motion.

Jesus Christ, I have never read such snark from a Judge on official motions before. This is fantastic.

Last edited:
Like, this all could have been avoided if Trump's lawyer checked the right box on a forum and requested a jury trial.
The fact that it could have been avoided if it went to trial is kinda what scares me these days 😅

The fact that it could have been avoided if it went to trial is kinda what scares me these days 😅
Well, in a sense it was inevitable, really. Something like this was always going to happen due to Trump's inability to retain or attract talented legal consul.

Trump World is Legal Eagle's bread and butter these days, and as he discussed last week, Donald Trump is so radioactive, nearly no one is willing to take him on as a new client. The only competent people working for him are those who are already stuck working for him. Otherwise, Trump is literally resorting to hiring random people that have never practiced law in the fields that their cases exist in.

In fact, some of his lawyers have been fired for gross incompetence before!

Something was going to give eventually. Video for reference.

Interesting how all conversation stopped on 7th October.
Not really; this thread has been mostly dead for the longest time, aside from a small burst of activity on October 5th.

Honestly: I've noticed that people on Famiboards don't like making challenging topics or posts that could start arguments. They seem to mainly stick to inoffensive, easy topics. But, when someone (such as myself) does post something challenging, people here tend to loose their shit. So it's probably for the best that there hasn't been any discussion here over the past two weeks.

Not really; this thread has been mostly dead for the longest time, aside from a small burst of activity on October 5th.

Honestly: I've noticed that people on Famiboards don't like making challenging topics or posts that could start arguments. They seem to mainly stick to inoffensive, easy topics. But, when someone (such as myself) does post something challenging, people here tend to loose their shit. So it's probably for the best that there hasn't been any discussion here over the past two weeks.
Screenshot_20231022-185605_Chrome.jpg

lol yeah man the AI art argument you started in the mod feedback thread is definitely proof that "famiboards cant handle difficult topics"

regardless, whats happening in israel right now isnt a difficult topic, its honestly morally obvious. palestinian liberation is necessary and the civilian population of gaza is not represented by hamas and their actions.

also important imo to note that the israel civ population also arent necessarily represented by their abhorrent government. innocent people suffer on every side of every conflict.

Welp

The heavily conservative Supreme Court is set to rule on a case that would basically decide the Jan6 insurrection was A-OK and potentially reverse the convictions of those who participated.
7-B299725-A480-4-E5-F-854-E-DA3-DB951-D7-BE.jpg

I don’t want to live in this country anymore.

Last edited:
Well holy shit Colorado

This is technically already on hold pending an appeal to the US Supreme Court (which I don't expect to uphold this ruling) but still. Donald Trump is (for the time being) officially ineligible to appear on Colorado ballots.

McConnell will be stepping down as Senate Leader in November.

Not soon enough, but I’ll take what I can get.

Too many unknowns at this point. There’s a reasonable chance that whoever succeeds McConnell as R Senate leader will not be nearly as organized or effective at herding cats. If the House is anything to go by, yikes. A lot of in-fighting and nothing getting accomplished.

After editing this for the nth time, I’m going to peace out and try to focus on the positives.

Last edited:
Name change for this thread incoming?

Sinema decides against reelection.

I just came here to say that 🤣

Also it's wild listening to Dem-leaning news talk about how she was often a champion for negotiation and reaching across the aisle, being one of the few Dems who would work with Republicans on things, when like.. wasn't she a major obstructionist? With an incredibly self-important attitude, who would straight-up mock the other Democrats while actively voting against them? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I just came here to say that 🤣

Also it's wild listening to Dem-leaning news talk about how she was often a champion for negotiation and reaching across the aisle, being one of the few Dems who would work with Republicans on things, when like.. wasn't she a major obstructionist? With an incredibly self-important attitude, who would straight-up mock the other Democrats while actively voting against them? Or am I thinking of someone else?
I was looking at 538's thing where they show how a member of Congress votes with Biden and Sinema actually does vote about 94% of the time with Biden.

wasn't she a major obstructionist? With an incredibly self-important attitude, who would straight-up mock the other Democrats while actively voting against them? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Kind of. Sinema is probably who you’re thinking of though she votes with Democrats most of the time. Other times, homegirl does stuff like this where she voted down increasing the federal minimum wage with a curtsy:

For the most part, she’s a Democrat in the same way that Joe Manchin is/was. He isn’t running for reelection either.

I was looking at 538's thing where they show how a member of Congress votes with Biden and Sinema actually does vote about 94% of the time with Biden.
Weird.. I coulda sworn it was Manchin and Sinema who were almost constantly the two Democrats who would vote against the rest, causing most proposals to fail during that time there was like a 1-dem majority

Weird.. I coulda sworn it was Manchin and Sinema who were almost constantly the two Democrats who would vote against the rest, causing most proposals to fail during that time there was like a 1-dem majority
You might think that with Sinema considering what she's grandstanded on and how she got the seat. Manchin is still the one who votes against Biden the most, but he still votes with Biden about 89% of the time.

The 5 other Senators who are inbetween Manchin and Sinema are Sanders, Tester (MT), Cortez Masto, and Rosen (both NV).

Also, Trump lost the primary to Haley in Vermont and has a very high chance of losing it to Haley in Utah.

Fetterman is among the worst but it's impossible to overstate how shitty the Democrats have been with supporting the genocide in Gaza.

Not soon enough, but I’ll take what I can get.

Too many unknowns at this point. There’s a reasonable chance that whoever succeeds McConnell as R Senate leader will not be nearly as organized or effective at herding cats. If the House is anything to go by, yikes. A lot of in-fighting and nothing getting accomplished.

After editing this for the nth time, I’m going to peace out and try to focus on the positives.
Senator Scott from FL is the rumored successor.

And yeah, the Fetterman bit is being weird

I'm so ready for primary season to be over here in Ohio. Three straight Republican ads before The Price Is Right this morning.

Why is considered "left" in America, is considered far righty in.Europe, so I get kinda taken back by people referring to the democrats as left.
Yeah the Democrats are not left by European standards but they're left by American standards because their opposition party is even further right. And here a lot of Democrats (including, annoyingly, Biden) are criticized for being "too far left" or even "extreme left" so some of us from the States are just used to thinking of Dems as "the left" because they are still the furthest-left of our two main parties. Which tells you something about the Republican party.

It's horrific. 😅

Why is considered "left" in America, is considered far righty in.Europe

Europe isn't shifted that far to the left and has its own far right to deal with which are taking cues from Trump & Co. The Democrats are a pretty standard left-of-center party, to the right of their European counterparts on issues like welfare and health care but more progressive on social and racial topics.

Europe isn't shifted that far to the left and has its own far right to deal with which are taking cues from Trump & Co. The Democrats are a pretty standard left-of-center party, to the right of their European counterparts on issues like welfare and health care but more progressive on social and racial topics.
We could make an argument that the Democrats are shifting even more Left, what with the Medicare price negotiation thing and all, but with a party that's so Far Right, anything looks Left nowadays.

We could make an argument that the Democrats are shifting even more Left, what with the Medicare price negotiation thing and all, but with a party that's so Far Right, anything looks Left nowadays.
To be fair, we have a Democrat president who during the last SotU shouted multiple times that he's a capitalist and that he doesn't care if business owners make tons of money, and at another point when he brought up Wall Street he made sure to say "they aren't the bad guys."

Two things: 1. I know the president isn't emblematic of the entire party but still, and 2. to enhance your last point, the dude I described above is constantly called a "radical leftwing extremist," so if a capitalist who thinks Wall Street are the good guys is considered far-left by many in America, then wooooooow

Can't say I agree. Biden has noticeably shifted the party right on multiple topics, especially the war in Gaza.

The Democrats don't really offer anything to the left. They are firmly a center-right party. But America in general is a very right wing country.

I think the difference is while more progressive on some important topics, they are far, far to the right of their European counterparts on national healthcare and welfare and guns and the basic rights of anyone employed and tons of other stuff by virtue of what’s considered the centre ground in the US (partly due to decades of idiotic misinformation demonising the equity of public healthcare), which is firmly to the right of Europe. It’s not a case of ‘a bit to the left on this topic, bit to the right on that topic’, the whole window is way way off in terms of public health and social care, employment rights etc.

Last edited:
I think the difference is while more progressive on some important topics, they are far, far to the right of their European counterparts on national healthcare and welfare and guns and the basic rights of anyone employed and tons of other stuff by virtue of what’s considered the centre ground in the US (partly due to decades of idiotic misinformation demonising the equity of public healthcare), which is firmly to the right of Europe. It’s not a case of ‘a bit to the left on this topic, bit to the right on that topic’, the whole window is way way off in terms of public health and social care, employment rights etc.

Medicare For All, if it were to go through, would immediately put the United States to the left of a lot of Europe on health care.

The differences are down to historical and political realities of individual countries. Post-WW2, the US built a military empire, while Europe built a welfare state. That means today's politicians start on unequal footing and aren't given the same room to work with. You allude to this, yet even so, the difference in ideology is overstated by people who only look at outcomes, and not even only current outcomes but outcomes decades in the making. Europe's counterparts to Bill Clinton had more social programs they had to get started on tearing down but they tried to all the same, and while worker's rights are still better in Europe than in the US, on financial spending Biden has learned the lessons of recents recessions better than the latest clingers to the third way in Europe who run conservative budget policies.

In any case, the claim that Europe's far right is equivalent to Democrats couldn't be left unchecked.

Medicare For All, if it were to go through, would immediately put the United States to the left of a lot of Europe on health care.

The differences are down to historical and political realities of individual countries. Post-WW2, the US built a military empire, while Europe built a welfare state. That means today's politicians start on unequal footing and aren't given the same room to work with. You allude to this, yet even so, the difference in ideology is overstated by people who only look at outcomes, and not even only current outcomes but outcomes decades in the making. Europe's counterparts to Bill Clinton had more social programs they had to get started on tearing down but they tried to all the same, and while worker's rights are still better in Europe than in the US, on financial spending Biden has learned the lessons of recents recessions better than the latest clingers to the third way in Europe who run conservative budget policies.

In any case, the claim that Europe's far right is equivalent to Democrats couldn't be left unchecked.
I agree with your points that the Democrats aren’t the same as the far right in Europe, and that it depends on exactly what topic we’re talking about.

I agree with your points that the Democrats aren’t the same as the far right in Europe, and that it depends on exactly what topic we’re talking about.
The far right in the US right now is all in for the guy who wants to be president for life. The democrats oppose that.

All I know is the people who I know living in the EU get to go on vacation for months at a time and not become financially destitute after which sounds nice.

The far right in the US right now is all in for the guy who wants to be president for life. The democrats oppose that.
Yeah I think we can all agree that keeping Cheeto out is a good thing. For everyone, pretty much worldwide.

To be fair, we have a Democrat president who during the last SotU shouted multiple times that he's a capitalist and that he doesn't care if business owners make tons of money, and at another point when he brought up Wall Street he made sure to say "they aren't the bad guys."

Two things: 1. I know the president isn't emblematic of the entire party but still, and 2. to enhance your last point, the dude I described above is constantly called a "radical leftwing extremist," so if a capitalist who thinks Wall Street are the good guys is considered far-left by many in America, then wooooooow
True, but the problem with USA isn't just the Capitalist system, but how permissive the State is with Corporate America.

Or rather, how permissive they've been after the Regan years, seeing as how every problem modern America has can basically be tracked down back to Regan.

I presume it's why Biden touts himself as a capitalist because, in order to advance his ideas, he has to sell them with a message that doesn't paint him as an anti capitalist, even though there's nothing communist about the State fulfilling its role in maintaining checks and balances towards the private sector.

True, but the problem with USA isn't just the Capitalist system, but how permissive the State is with Corporate America.

Or rather, how permissive they've been after the Regan years, seeing as how every problem modern America has can basically be tracked down back to Regan.

I presume it's why Biden touts himself as a capitalist because, in order to advance his ideas, he has to sell them with a message that doesn't paint him as an anti capitalist, even though there's nothing communist about the State fulfilling its role in maintaining checks and balances towards the private sector.
Yeah, I understand. I get that Biden has to package things in a way that can be seen as neutral by our standards. Just blows my mind that the overton window in this country is so far right that what he says and does is seen as "extreme left," is all.

Yeah, I understand. I get that Biden has to package things in a way that can be seen as neutral by our standards. Just blows my mind that the overton window in this country is so far right that what he says and does is seen as "extreme left," is all.
While this is certainly true, I think it’s also just the fact that he’s a democrat and so republicans and a fair bit of the media paint him as such. Republicans will paint literally any democrat as a “far left extremist” because they know that it helps motivate both their own base and also the more centrist voters to vote against them later. We could literally elect a potato as president that does nothing but sit around and be a potato but if it ran as a democrat then it’d eventually be called a left wing extremist.

Back
Top Bottom