• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Princess Peach: Showtime! (1.22M), Mario vs. Donkey Kong (1.12M), and more

Happy to see the Mario RPG numbers. 3.5 million basically beats my best prediction for a fairly by-the-book remake.

Hopefully, TTYD keeps that party going when its turn is up.

because people always want the new thing. I am, though, so very curious at what they will do with Smash. It's a series we typically see early in a consoles life. I think the earliest we get a look at it is in 2026.
It's entirely possible the next Smash has been in dev since DLC wrapped up for Ultimate in 2021. A sequel to one of the best selling Nintendo games of all time would have been greenlit near-instantly. That said, with the Switch 2 seemingly internally delayed, I think a holiday 2026 release sounds about right for it.

It's entirely possible the next Smash has been in dev since DLC wrapped up for Ultimate in 2021. A sequel to one of the best selling Nintendo games of all time would have been greenlit near-instantly. That said, with the Switch 2 seemingly internally delayed, I think a holiday 2026 release sounds about right for it.
My bet is that it just that tbh. Maybe Sakurai enjoyed a 6 month break lmao.

I seriously don't understand how they took 6 years on TOTK. Direct sequels with that level of reuse normally take way less time. TOTK had a longer development than BOTW for Pete's sake! I hope a more original open world Zelda doesn't take 7-9 years gulp
It's a miracle it ONLY took 6 years to make with all the systems in place during a pandemic

My bet is that it just that tbh. Maybe Sakurai enjoyed a 6 month break lmao.
He took a couple of months off to play all of Sony's AAA releases with three DualSense controllers simultaneously. That's six senses, for those counting at home. Sakurai can see dead people.

I seriously don't understand how they took 6 years on TOTK. Direct sequels with that level of reuse normally take way less time. TOTK had a longer development than BOTW for Pete's sake! I hope a more original open world Zelda doesn't take 7-9 years gulp

AAA development is 5-6 minimum now. Keep in mind that TOTK was basically finished a year before it was released and Nintendo spent the extra time doing more quality checks and debugging.

Keep in mind that COVID probably slowed things down as well.

Do we need to wait until full financial briefing to potentially get an idea of how many units Another Code sold?
We won't get numbers at all here since it didn't cross 1 million and even it does at some point, we'll have to wait until the yearly CESA White Papers.

For reference, the below first party Switch games are the only ones known to not have crossed 1 million units (excluding digital-only titles):

Snipperclips Plus (may have crossed 1 million if combined with the digital version?)
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (KT never released official numbers but it sold "more than expected" outside of Japan)
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 02 - Robot Kit
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (could have sold 1 million when combined with 3DS, but I doubt it)
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 03 - Vehicle Kit
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 04 - VR Kit
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore
Buddy Mission BOND (Was still considered a success by KT)
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir
Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind (could be 1 million if you combine both games? Again, probably not)
DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
Everybody 1-2-Switch!
Pikmin 1+2 (I guess you count this lol)
Detective Pikachu Returns (published by TPC only in Japan I think, so those numbers wouldn't be included)
WarioWare: Move It!
Another Code: Recollection
Endless Ocean Luminous (too soon?)

I imagine some of these will crawl over the mark at some point. I remember a few late 3DS games like Rhythm Heaven Megamix and FE Echoes managing to do it back in 2021.

Last edited:
How many games has Nintendo made that fall into these categories again?
Nintendo is doing a good job, they're the best big company in the business and it's not even a question. I'm talking about the rest of the industry rountiningly chasing trends and shooting itself in the foot with AAAA games

The sales that Nintendo (Switch) games and IP's get are actually insane. I like to put some things in perspective, because Nintendo is an anomaly in this case. Also, Princess Peach sold over a million in 9 days!

Playstation

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 24.3 million
  2. God of War (PS4) - 23 million
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - 22.68 million
  4. The Last of Us & The Last of Us Remastered 20 million
  5. Uncharted 4 18.65 million
  6. God of War: Ragnarok 15 million
  7. Gran Turismo III: A-Spec 14.89 million
  8. Gran Turismo Sport 12.98 million
  9. Gran Turismo 5 11.95 million
  10. Gran Turismo 4 11.73 million
  11. Spider-Man: Miles Morales 11.13 million
  12. The Last of Us: Part 2 10 million
it's also important to note that sales between nintendo first party games and other titles can't really be compared on the basis of copies sold, since (for example) based on the recent leaks we know that something like horizon zero dawn sold for an average of 25 dollars per copy, with the game being on sale regularly for 10 or 20 dollars. even on a game with 5 or so million copies sold nintendo makes a lot more money than many other games would make by selling twice as many copies. the fact that nintendo can reach these ridiculous sales milestones with switch titles without any big price drops is a huge anomaly in the game industry.

Sales or no sales, Advance Wars is forever! Nothing can take away that I got such a great remake, and got to see all my favs back again!

So is Advance Wars officially a dead franchise now?
If Metroid: Samus Returns can sell sub-1 million and still get Mercury Streams to develop a sequel, I guess there's still a chance for Advance Wars.
The budget couldn't have been high for the remake, and the critical/fan reception seemed pretty positive.

The one thing that I could see make Nintendo iffy on a sequel is the optics of releasing a "War" game, and how the release of Reboot Camp was a mess due to the delays because of the Russia-Ukraine war.

So is Advance Wars officially a dead franchise now?
I can't imagine expectations were that high for a remake in a series that had been dead for over a decade and to my knowledge has never had a game that cracked a million. Esp. when it didn't even get a Japanese release

I don't think it's dead-dead, but I think if they do anything else with it going forward, they might try doing something like pivot to making it decidedly more sci-fi to maybe give it some broader appeal and avoid any future real world parallels

Last edited:
I don't think Nintendo ever expected 1m+ sales from that. It got no marketing that could have made the game sell well.

But they need to start marketing non-Mario-Pokémon-Zelda-AC-Pikmin games as well. Stepchildren treatment to those does no favors at all.
It did get marketing, but it wasn't a worldwide release.

Hard to guess what Nintendo's expectations for Advance Wars 1+2: Reboot Camp were. Even without them delaying the title due to the escalation of the Russia-Ukraine war, Nintendo never planned for it to release in Japan; just the Americas and Europe. So it was never that much of a high priority title. Plus, both 2022 and 2023 had major global Q1 releases that Nintendo prioritized far, far more as well (Nintendo Switch Sports and Tears of the Kingdom, respectively).

It's possible that the game did well enough -- launch week in France and Spain debuted at #2, while UK and Switzerland saw it debut at #3; launch month in the United States was #20 after two weeks of tracking (originally reported as #15) -- but the franchise could be benched anyway due to Nintendo fearing another situation like this. And if it ever does return, there's a chance it will have to be reinvented so it is more divorced from any potential "modern war" comparisons.

Last edited:
But they need to start marketing non-Mario-Pokémon-Zelda-AC-Pikmin games as well. Stepchildren treatment to those does no favors at all.
Except they do market games outside the ones listed. The problem is that Advance Wars isn’t inherently a game consumers wanna buy.

I think the series is headed the same way as F-Zero. A series beloved but needs a major rethink that no one is willing to do.

Except they do market games outside the ones listed. The problem is that Advance Wars isn’t inherently a game consumers wanna buy.

I think the series is headed the same way as F-Zero. A series beloved but needs a major rethink that no one is willing to do.
Advance Wars reached a point where Days of Ruin wasn't even given a Japanese retail release. It was cancelled and made a Club Nintendo reward later. The series just flatlined in Japan, and was always a niche elsewhere.

Advance Wars reached a point where Days of Ruin wasn't even given a Japanese retail release. It was cancelled and made a Club Nintendo reward later. The series just flatlined in Japan, and was always a niche elsewhere.
At this point it would probably be better to invest into a new IP then try to resurrect AW outside of remaster/make of Days of Ruin.

I can't imagine expectations were that high for a remake in a series that had been dead for over a decade and to my knowledge has never had a game that cracked a million. Esp. when it didn't even get a Japanese release

I don't think it's dead-dead, but I think if they do anything else with it going forward, they might try doing something like pivot to making it decidedly more sci-fi to maybe give it some broader appeal and avoid any future real world parallels
My thoughts exactly!

Im the first one to confess that it being remakes and the artstyle just nullified my interest in it, I'd rather replay the GBA variant. For me personally more charme, and a better fit. (And I already have it for no surcharge...)

A new one with a (for me) better artstyle?
That would have been a different proposal.

Shame it doesn't seem like SV will overtake SwSh after all. Still, amazing success for amazing games.
Yes it does. At this point in its life, SWSH was at 21.1m, went on to sell 5m more.

If SV does just 25% of that, it overtakes

Kudos to Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I can't wait to see the next mainline Kirby game.

I'm a little sad Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe didn't also make the list. That's a great remake of a solid game, world!

Yes it does. At this point in its life, SWSH was at 21.1m, went on to sell 5m more.

If SV does just 25% of that, it overtakes
Could still happen, but swsh had less other Pokémon games to compete overall and had it's legs during better switch years while sv will maybe cut short by switch 2... Or gain a lot more sales through switch2 backwards compatibility... We'll see, I see it at a 50:50 chance

Kudos to Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I can't wait to see the next mainline Kirby game.

I'm a little sad Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe didn't also make the list. That's a great remake of a solid game, world!
But it's a remake shortly after FL. Good performance for that. I am really curious when we can expect FL2. For me it was an 8.5, great base, just a little to basic in some aspects and a sequel could be a 10 for me.

But it's a remake shortly after FL. Good performance for that. I am really curious when we can expect FL2. For me it was an 8.5, great base, just a little to basic in some aspects and a sequel could be a 10 for me.
I'm looking forward to a sequel on Switch 2, though I do wonder if we're going to get an original 2D game first. I'd love some more Copy Abilities to make the leap to 3D.

Honestly, I'd have preferred a DoR remake, myself. That's just me, though.
+1 for the DOR is slept on crew

…honestly I wonder if modern sensibilities would line up better with DOR’s narrative and environmental framing over toy box what’s an airport macro / cosmo / omega land

Still never fails to amaze me how the series was never exported until AW and even then never completely rocked massive waves in its home country

It's the physics engine, but it wasn't worth it at all seeing as it gave us so much recycled content. Hope they course correct for the next one instead of hyper-focusing on a gimmick again.

Sales per fiscal year for all 10+ million sellers on Switch plus Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion 3 and SM3DW+BF were all up year over year.

WJyoRdN.png

Last edited:
It's the physics engine, but it wasn't worth it at all seeing as it gave us so much recycled content. Hope they course correct for the next one instead of hyper-focusing on a gimmick again.

i'd say they made the right decision in terms of raw gameplay ambition. we could've had a much quicker turnaround 2nd game which simply kept the BotW base with a lot of new content/areas/assets/world, but that would really be BotW again in a gameplay sense with just a new coat of paint over it.

funnily that's actually what From Software does a lot of the time. they take a ton of created assets and mold them around in creative ways so you end up with a game like looks almost entirely new, even though you can tell the base is the same and a lot of the assets are simply aesthetically different. that's also why those games play and feel very similar though. they're actually fairly unambitious on a technical level, though with very impressive and intelligent asset reuse.

the BotW real-time physics engine was a marvel on its own, and it deserved to be fully explored and to be pushed to its absolute limits, which is exactly what TotK does. it's a feat unseen in the entire industry, no game of this scope even comes remotely close to what they accomplished, and that's massive on its own.

they can also proceed to utilize the base of this now far more complex and even more tight physics engine in future games outside of the BotW world. the possibilities for fuse on a physics level are practically endless and give them a way to create practically anything they can imagine with a real-world physics in play.

Last edited:
Why is it that the folks who complain about how long TotK development took never seem to mention the massive elephant in the room (global pandemic) that effectively added 1-2 years of dev time to most AAA games industry-wide?

Back
Top Bottom