• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Princess Peach: Showtime! (1.22M), Mario vs. Donkey Kong (1.12M), and more

princess peach showtime is a game that will sell well in the long run, it's a more casual oriented game and those don't sell huge numbers at launch but with their legs, it's the same with games like super mario bros wonder. Expecting 3mil from peach in 9 days is pretty insane especially for what's essentialy a new ip (and made from a studio whose best selling title ever is also a 3mil seller). We'll see with the holidays how much staying power the game has but tbh this is still a great start for the IP and can be a great launching point for a sequel.

We won't get updated Dread (and others) numbers until the CESA report comes out, whenever that is. Even then, it will likely only go up to the end of last year.

Glad Mario Vs DK hit 1 million, price aside it was actually a pretty solid remake

Last edited:
Pretty crazy to see how close those two numbers are. It shows how strong of a brand Donkey Kong is where the first new Donkey Kong game in a decade can become an instant million seller, despite being a $60 remake of a not particularly beloved GBA game.

Are we thinking Scarlet and Violet will overtake Sword and Shield and be the second best selling games in the series or will Legends Z-A potentially interfere with its legs?
Hopefully! It definitely serves it more.

Pretty crazy to see how close those two numbers are. It shows how strong of a brand Donkey Kong is where the first new Donkey Kong game in a decade can become an instant million seller, despite being a $60 remake of a not particularly beloved GBA game.

Hopefully! It definitely serves it more.
I don't think the Donkey Kong brand in Mario vs. Donkey Kong is the brand carrying that game to success. I think it's a Mario game released on the Switch in an accessible and popular genre.

I am surprised by its success though, I did not expect a frankly overpriced remake of a non-hyped game to be a million seller.

re: BOTW vs TOTK, I have a hard time imagining people skipping the one to buy the other. People buying BOTW may be dipping their toes into the whole thing for the first time. Getting the most out of TOTK kind of requires a level of comfort with the base mechanics of the previous game. It's pretty complicated!

Last edited:
Unfortunatelly, this will encourage Nintendo to keep bringing low-effort and low-ambitious works more frequently because they know people buy whatever crap they throw at their face.
Did you play it? This was a pretty well done remake with meaningful improvements over the GBA game.

Don't wanna get hate for this but I'm kinda happy to see Advance Wars not selling sell. Did we really need that game to come out if we had better things to play like Fire Emblem and Wargroove.
I'm not familiar with Wargroove, but Advance Wars is extremely different from Fire Emblem from a gameplay standpoint.

The former is a pure strategy game, like a chess match. The latter is strategy with RPG elements.

This was the last chance for Advance Wars to appear in any official sales report, right? Shame it didn’t crawl to a million.

Don't wanna get hate for this but I'm kinda happy to see Advance Wars not selling sell. Did we really need that game to come out if we had better things to play like Fire Emblem and Wargroove.
What a bizarre post... You know you can play both AW and Wargroove, right?

Unfortunatelly, this will encourage Nintendo to keep bringing low-effort and low-ambitious works more frequently because they know people buy whatever crap they throw at their face.
8urrpzs05mk81.png

“I don’t wanna get hate but I’m glad a game underperformed for dubious reasons” is a post, alright.

Mario VS DK is interesting.
It kinda feels like it was sent out to die, and sandwiched right in between Mario RPG/Wonder and Thousand Year Door did it zero favors.
I wonder what the numbers would have looked like if they held on to it for a bit and released it when it had time to breathe.

Maybe this Fall would have been better, couple months after TYD and few months before the next big 3D Mario

For those who say Peach's numbers are disappointing, what were your predictions? I think 1.2 million in 9 days is pretty impressive.

I seriously don't understand how they took 6 years on TOTK. Direct sequels with that level of reuse normally take way less time. TOTK had a longer development than BOTW for Pete's sake! I hope a more original open world Zelda doesn't take 7-9 years gulp

One Word: Pandemic.

It affected everyone, and everything. And it's possible this contributed to that year of polish as the game was supposed to launch in 2022 originally. Without Covid, it's possible TOTK might've been done by late 2021 or so.

it's nice to see MvDK doing well

hopefully it leads to NST doing even more "big" solo projects in the future (like maybe a new MvDK that's still a puzzle-platformer, or maybe they could take over the Captain Toad series)

The sales that Nintendo (Switch) games and IP's get are actually insane. I like to put some things in perspective, because Nintendo is an anomaly in this case. Also, Princess Peach sold over a million in 9 days!

Playstation

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 24.3 million
  2. God of War (PS4) - 23 million
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - 22.68 million
  4. The Last of Us & The Last of Us Remastered 20 million
  5. Uncharted 4 18.65 million
  6. God of War: Ragnarok 15 million
  7. Gran Turismo III: A-Spec 14.89 million
  8. Gran Turismo Sport 12.98 million
  9. Gran Turismo 5 11.95 million
  10. Gran Turismo 4 11.73 million
  11. Spider-Man: Miles Morales 11.13 million
  12. The Last of Us: Part 2 10 million

Playstation has had a hard time getting past the 20 million for a lot of their games and finally also went to put their games on PC. They "only" have 4 games which has reached the 20 million and 12 games which reached the 10 million. That is ranging from games from the PS2 to PS5. That is four generations of hardware!

Multiplat:

• Minecraft - 300 millon
  • GTA 5 - 195 million
  • RDR2 - 61 million
  • Terraria - 55 million
  • Monster Hunter World - 25 million
  • Call of Duty: BlackOps - 26,2 million

A few games I took from the insane Minecraft and GTA 5 to games that have been closer to the topseller on the Nintendo Switch. Again, titles that are from several generations or are on several other platforms. Now lets look at Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch
  1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 61.97M
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 45.36M
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 34.22M
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31.85M
  5. Super Mario Odyssey - 27.96M
  6. Pokémon Sword and Shield - 26.27M
  7. Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 24.92M
  8. Super Mario Party - 20.66M
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20.61M
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 17.45M
That is almost ten 20 million sellers in one generation. The Nintendo Switch software and hardware sales are insane. A lot of game developers would love these sales. The latest sales we had for Hollow Knight for example was that it sold 3 million copies which was dated Dec 2020. Sea of Stars reached 4 million players thanks to GamePass and Playstation Plus and sold in a week 250.000 units, that is also good! And even though these numbers are shadowed by the sales of the Nintendo Switch and the games it sold, but the Nintendo Switch is the anomaly. But even then, looking at the Wii U which is considered a failure had several 5 million sellers. Then looking at the Nintendo DS which is currently the second best selling gaming system "only" had three 20+ million sellers. So yeah, hopefully this puts things a bit in perspective.

The data of the Multiplat and Playstation are from VGSales, but from what I glanced seemed up to date with official info from Playstation.

Parroting many others here, but... sooo happy to see Pikmin 4 nearing 4 million. I think there are limits to how well a franchise like Pikmin can sell, but at the very least it has done well enough that I think new entries will be a bit more frequent than "one new game every decade".

I'm so curious to see the path that Nintendo takes going forward with Smash and Mario Kart, especially if Switch 2 is backwards compatible.

Both games have sold such crazy numbers and both are kind of like the "ultimate" versions of each franchise. How do you convince players to make the jump to a new version if you can still play the old one, which has all of the characters, stages, courses, etc. to the new one without splitting the player base?

Did you play it? This was a pretty well done remake with meaningful improvements over the GBA game.

Let's please not assume people are dumb for appreciating games you might not like, yourself.

Lol at the overreaction, c'mon.

I work at a game store, so I can play anything new for Switch whatever I want. I just think Switch is already flooded with Mario-related stuff, why don't Nintendo make a new game instead? Even a new Mario game? This kind of reaction shows Nintendo really don't need to worry about even trying, because they can remake whatever they want, anytime they want, because their fanboys will defend it no matter what. Good for them who wants to play the same thing over and over and good for Nintendo who'll profit with it, not me who wants to play new stuff instead.

Pikmin 4, my love, doing so well. Almost 3.5M units. Please Nintendo give us the next one before the end of the decade.

Ahem, anyways just seeing those numbers for the top selling games is insane. I feel like nobody mentions how well New Super Mario Bros U sold lmao. Are we all just taken aback by that or is it just me? Mario Kart 8 keeps on rolling. I mean it is a massive system seller.

I do wonder if Animal Crossing's sales actually led to Nintendo wanting to start development on the next one sooner than they would've and maybe that why post-release content was weirdly done. I'm probably speaking out of my ass but still lmao.
I'm so curious to see the path that Nintendo takes going forward with Smash and Mario Kart, especially if Switch 2 is backwards compatible.

Both games have sold such crazy numbers and both are kind of like the "ultimate" versions of each franchise. How do you convince players to make the jump to a new version if you can still play the old one, which has all of the characters, stages, courses, etc. to the new one without splitting the player base?
because people always want the new thing. I am, though, so very curious at what they will do with Smash. It's a series we typically see early in a consoles life. I think the earliest we get a look at it is in 2026.

This kind of reaction shows Nintendo really don't need to worry about even trying, because they can remake whatever they want, anytime they want, because their fanboys will defend it no matter what.
To be clear here, are you calling me a fanboy because I asked you to be more respectful of other people's opinions? You can say you want to play new things without denigrating the people who like the remakes.

I work at a game store, so I can play anything new for Switch whatever I want. I just think Switch is already flooded with Mario-related stuff, why don't Nintendo make a new game instead? Even a new Mario game? This kind of reaction shows Nintendo really don't need to worry about even trying, because they can remake whatever they want, anytime they want, because their fanboys will defend it no matter what. Good for them who wants to play the same thing over and over and good for Nintendo who'll profit with it, not me who wants to play new stuff instead.
You wrote a lot but never actually said "I did try the remake"

Considering the remake has new content, new modes, is a remake for a 20+ year old game with two generations of kids who were born after it's release, no I think your analysis is deeply flawed and comes across as horribly selfish. You have no idea what amount of people who bought the remake owned the original vs this was their first experience not just with this game, but the entire Mario vs DK franchise.

I feel like nobody mentions how well New Super Mario Bros U sold lmao. Are we all just taken aback by that or is it just me?
Not to diminish NSMBUD at all (I actually really like the game), but I would bet that being the first 2D Mario on Switch probably helped a decent amount there. Gave it a nice early lead to establish itself as "the sidescrolling Mario" that you buy when you get a Switch

Sometimes I do wonder whether Mario Maker 2 could have seen anywhere near that success if if it had released first, instead of coming out like 6 months after NMSBUD

I mean, I felt like my reaction was pretty tame? I just asked if you played the game. Who is getting all riled up over what? We're all friends here.

To be clear here, are you calling me a fanboy because I asked you to be more respectful of other people's opinions? You can say you want to play new things without denigrating the people who like the remakes.
I don't remember taking shots at anyone specifically at my original post, I was making my opinion about Nintendo and you took it personally, so stop putting words in my mouth, ok?

I don't remember taking shots at anyone specifically at my original post, I was making my opinion about Nintendo and you took it personally, so stop putting words in my mouth, ok?
Is it really putting words in your mouth when you said that Nintendo fans will just lap anything up? That isn't exactly painting them in a positive light. Easy to see how that can be interpreted as "Nintendo fans dumb."

Not to diminish NSMBUD at all (I actually really like the game), but I would bet that being the first 2D Mario on Switch probably helped a decent amount there. Gave it a nice early lead to establish itself as "the sidescrolling Mario" that you buy when you get a Switch

Sometimes I do wonder whether Mario Maker 2 could have seen anywhere near that success if if it had released first, instead of coming out like 6 months after NMSBUD
It definitely benefitted a ton by being first - same with Mario Party.

You have to ask yourself if Wonder is going to catch up to it at this point, which seems wild to me since I feel like Wonder is a way better (and more original) game.

Is the Mario vs DK numbers really that impressive? 0.8 % attach rate in 1.5 months doesn't sound like much to me. How have the attach rates been for that franchise on earlier platforms?

But you didn't make it about just Nintendo.

fun way to visualize how the Nintendo top 10 best sellers list on Switch has evolved over the years since 2017

Is the Mario vs DK numbers really that impressive? 0.8 % attach rate in 1.5 months doesn't sound like much to me. How was the attach rates for that franchise on earlier platforms?
from what I can find, looks like

• Mario vs DK (GBA): 1.37 milllion
  • March of the Minis (DS): 1.52 million
  • Minis March Again (DSiWare): Unknown
  • Mini Land Mayhem (DS): 2.98 million
  • Minis on the Move (3DS eshop): Unknown
  • Tipping Stars (3DS/WiiU): 40 thousand in Japan, unknown worldwide
  • Mini Mario and Friends amiibo Challenge (3DS/WiiU eshop): Unknown

So in 1.5 months, Mario vs DK (Switch) is already right behind the first game's sales. And that's while A) being a remake and B) being at least $10 more expensive than I think any previous game in the series. Not a wild New Horizons-style success story by any means, but seems a solid enough start for what the series is, what it probably cost to make, and where the series was at previously

Totk probably would have came out like 2 years before it did if it wasn't for covid. Plus have you seen the tech marvel that is totk? Joke about it not being different enough but ascend ability working as well as it does alone is a lot of work. Not to mention they weren't allowed to take work home during covid. Gaming development took a huge hit especially Japan because they were not prepared for a WFH work environment.

I'm not familiar with Wargroove, but Advance Wars is extremely different from Fire Emblem from a gameplay standpoint.
Wargroove is a bit more similar to Advance Wars, on the surface it's basically Advance Wars but with fantasy units. But it lacks the depth of Advance Wars, with all the commanders having the exact same skill and the maps being, imho, not as good as those in AW.

Did Nintendo accidentally create an exceptional example of a GAAS title in MK8? I would believe they included the entirety of Bedrock with the legs on those karts.

Happy to M&DK breaking the milly!

^AW was a great remake? The hell. It was literally just the two GBA titles with cleaner visuals. Nothing to hate on in favor of their being other similar* series.

Yes we did. As Wargroove isn’t better (its maps aren’t as focused due to the lack of land/sea/air balance, it’s still good though). And FE is a different type of game entirely, in that SRPGs let your levelled up strongest units step in to handle everything, but AW’s unit balance (and the way you and the computer both tend to produce counters and counters-to-those-counters) is incredibly tight all the way through. It’s a better strategy game, even if it hasn’t got the same fantasy war story, numbers going up, social elements , character development and drama that make the SRPG genre addictive and compelling in a different way.

The closest thing to the tight play of AW (outside of Wargroove) is something like Into the Breach, we don’t get enough turn based strategy games like those compared to FE/FFT style SRPGs, and I love both types of game. Hopefully the upcoming port of R-Type Tactics I/II will help with that, the sequel might as well be a new game to most players outside Japan.

Last edited:
That is an excellent result for Princess Peach: Showtime! given that it was only being tracked for a week or two before the end of the FY. Richly deserved, as the game was much better than the marketing let on; and I can see the game reaching 2 or 3 million through evergreen sales, as I suspect it'll be positioned as the "young gamer"-game of choice alongside Kirby (which also did excellently in the last FY).

The result for Mario vs. Donkey Kong is in-line with series expectations but you would've thought the Switch "bump" would've at least put it closer to 2 million. I wonder why - perhaps people just weren't as interested as Nintendo thought they would be? A shame, as it was a very solid remake.

I seriously don't understand how they took 6 years on TOTK. Direct sequels with that level of reuse normally take way less time. TOTK had a longer development than BOTW for Pete's sake! I hope a more original open world Zelda doesn't take 7-9 years gulp
To be fair, it took an extra year as, with big Nintendo games, they can afford to take an extra year and polish it. They don’t need to be in a hurry. Whereas almost every other big game I go to pick up I end up looking into exactly what the state of it at launch is and wait for the developers to talk about when the first patches will be out.

Do we need to wait until full financial briefing to potentially get an idea of how many units Another Code sold?

Quoted by: N75

This kind of reaction shows Nintendo really don't need to worry about even trying, because they can remake whatever they want, anytime they want, because their fanboys will defend it no matter what. Good for them who wants to play the same thing over and over and good for Nintendo who'll profit with it, not me who wants to play new stuff instead.

Come off it, you said ‘people buy whatever crap (Nintendo) throw in their face’, then, when challenged on that, you went with ‘their fanboys will defend it no matter what’ while also accusing Meatbag of taking it personally for politely asking you not to generalise. You were implying people buying that game would buy anything and were fanboys and not as smart as you wanting ‘new stuff’. No need to dress it up like people couldn’t see exactly what you were doing. So you don’t like x video game. That’s OK, but no need to take swipes at others who do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom