• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Trails From Zero Is Out Now. Fami, Let Me Share My Full Enthusiasm For This Awesome Game With You.

I will get this for sure in a month or two when I get through what I'm playing currently (Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition & The DioField Chronicle).

This really has been an amazing year for JRPGs, hasn't it?

The significantly expanded voiced acting has definitely been the most interesting change on this replay for me. Randy is definitely someone impacted by it as his worst tendencies definitely come across more strongly. I like Randy, but I have a very full picture of him across games. A chapter 1 character I most strongly felt the impact of VA with was Cecile. I remember them having an awkward proper introduction (in the hospital, the early phone call in the prologue was greatly enhanced imo), but they definitely come across way worse here with VA behind it. This one really caught me off guard because I like this character ultimately. Another interesting one in chapter 1 in the official version is the doctor. He gave off a weird initial vibe in the fan translation, but the altered script and VA makes him more likable in his initial appearance. I don’t know if I saw him interact with the old woman either on my first playthrough which was interesting.

Haven’t had much time to play since I last posted, but I just reached Mainz for the first time so I should wrap up Chapter 1 for sure tomorrow. I’m nearly 15 hours in now.

Even without full series context, I think Randy is easily the best written character of the leads in the Crossbell arc.

Randy is definitely someone impacted by it as his worst tendencies definitely come across more strongly. I like Randy, but I have a very full picture of him across games.

Even without full series context, I think Randy is easily the best written character of the leads in the Crossbell arc.

Okay this is interesting, i will definitely keep this in mind! As I said, I found him kind of off-putting in the prologue but I will have faith there's a story to be told there and an arc to follow and well, it was absolutely just the prologue lol I will keep my mind open :salute:

Currently on the road to the village, idyllically gathering monster eggs and hunting for fish fillets lol

Oh one small spoiler question: is
fishing
unlocked as part of the main quest or optionally? 👀

Haven’t had much time to play since I last posted, but I just reached Mainz for the first time so I should wrap up Chapter 1 for sure tomorrow. I’m nearly 15 hours in now.
Oh I thought I was losing it cause I just reached Mainz and I am 13 hours in lol. Time flies in this game.

Oh one small spoiler question: is
fishing
unlocked as part of the main quest or optionally? 👀
I don't think it's part of the main story? Either way it's REALLY hard to miss it.

Edit: Ok, it's part of the main story. I honestly never noticed or thought about it.

Last edited:
I don't think fishing is truly optional in any Trails title that has it. At some point the game will force you into a scene to learn how to do it and set up the game long sidequest of catching every fish.

Would be a real bruh moment if you missed it

I finished chapter 1 tonight (it ends well!) and barely entered chapter 2. Ilya reminded me right away why she is my least favorite character in Zero. Not looking forward to that later worse scene with her.

I did find a cool new thing in this version of the game for people who have played beyond this game:

I found two new NPCs in the Crossbell Cathedral in Sunday School. It’s Juna’s siblings, Ken and Nana. Never heard anyone discuss this before they were added by Falcom in the PS4 version, so this was a cool surprise for me. They mention “Big Sis” and Lloyd remarks they look familiar. The pink hair was what first caught me off guard lol.

They do, but that's exactly what some people take issue with. Because in the original JP, every single chest just says "the chest is empty". But apparently it's 47382 different strings of code saying "The chest is empty", so the og localizers for Trails in the Sky put their own spin on it and made a different message for every chest. NISA & Geofront only carried on that tradition in the localization here.

But to some people, since the jokes aren't in th Japanese version, this is blasphemy and shouldn't be allowed. Or some shit. They're really up in arms about it. About OPTIONAL chest messages. They'd rather they'd have stuck with "This chest is empty" for the entire game.

EDIT: SOOOORRY for the double post
Wow, that’s really stupid lol

Finished Chapter 2!

The fight agains Yin is always hype, curious to see what new players and first time listeners will think :)

Also the ending of Chapter 2 is visually striking for an old game like Zero.

Some pics I took, spoilers obviously.

20221007210357_1.jpg
20221007211640_1.jpg
20221007212455_1.jpg
20221007213717_1.jpg

20221007212939_1.jpg

20221007213459_1.jpg

I am now on chapter 2 :dab: yeah I love this game lol the chapter 1 investigation and how it played out was very entertaining and I just really like how focused this game continues to be. I get the feeling when I finish I'm going to need to figure out how and where I can play the others lol. I've been spending a bunch of time trying to cook superb dishes to give to the jizo statue 😅

Also this is a complete tune lol I love it

One week late, but I could finally start Zero. It feels great to be back in Zemuria, and at the same time a bit unreal to play an official release of the game.

First reaction to the story is that the Crossbell government and police seem even more incompetent than I expected and the people and media let our party know in a very blunt way. Poor Lloyd didn't sign up for that lol.

Kind of interesting. Did we know Reverie was gonna have english dub? It makes sense since CS had it. I am still certain this is a summer/fall game since I think Azure is early 2023 (Maybe we will see it in the eventual february direct 👀)

Kind of interesting. Did we know Reverie was gonna have english dub? It makes sense since CS had it. I am still certain this is a summer/fall game since I think Azure is early 2023 (Maybe we will see it in the eventual february direct 👀)

Yeah we knew Reverie would have one. Only Zero and Azure would not.

I had been very slowly playing the last few days as I’ve been very busy, but I made some good progress last night. I completed chapter 2 day 1 and wrapped up the side quests in day 2. I’m really impressed on this replay how chapter 2 day 1 wraps up with the major conversations. It does a great job of both expanding the personal stakes of the characters while expanding on the grand picture of Crossbell.

Series spoiler:

Hearing Elie’s story again was especially interesting on this replay since I’ve played Cold Steel IV where you meet her mother. I love five games later we got a payoff for this.

I finally beat... the Prologue! lol. Being pretty slow. I'm enjoying it but also haven't really gotten into any kind of flow yet, which, well, makes sense since I've only played the prologue. But I'm eager to get to the point that I learn more skills and do some more usual dungeons.

Sorry I haven't been checking in , this game has kind of spirited me away haha I've put down everything else so I can focus my attention on it any time I'm playing something lol I'm partway through chapter 3 now on day 2 of the festival iirc. I've been slowly trying to get my head around how the orbal stuff works, it's initially a bit of a headache and I didn't realise the arts list was in the Detective notebook, but it's quite clever once it's clear how it works!

Also may have dusted off my vita and procured the vita/evolution entries of the skies trilogy 👀 I can't say 100% I'll fly into another one of these immediately but it would be nice to be caught up on Skies before Azure comes out!

I finished Chapter 3 day 4 yesterday. The ending always sends chills down my spine. It's a shame that the Sky Trilogy is not available in more platforms because the payoff is incredible.

Almost tempted to recommend everyone to watch Trails in the Sky The 3rd Door 15 scene on youtube and then play through Day 4.

In finding help for a quest, I found out how far I am from the end and since we don't know the release date of Azure I will play it even slower than usual lol
Because something I discovered is that I cannot play this game like other RPGs.
I tend to play a session of an rpg during the day but with Zero I've been doing bursts of maybe 20 to 30-ish minutes during the day. So I might cycle and play Zero every 2-3 days

I finished Chapter 3 day 4 yesterday. The ending always sends chills down my spine. It's a shame that the Sky Trilogy is not available in more platforms because the payoff is incredible.

Almost tempted to recommend everyone to watch Trails in the Sky The 3rd Door 15 scene on youtube and then play through Day 4.

Oooooh is this
Renne
related?

Really enjoying this. Despite knowing the characters and how everything turns out in the end, it's interesting seeing these characters more fleshed out, the Crossbellans as well as the ones returning from Sky. Chapter 1 day 1: Seeing Estelle and Joshua and hearing the Sky music hit my nostalgic nerve hard.
Also, in traditional Trails fashion, nearly everyone's hiding important details about their backgrounds. Elie trying to avoid her family ties uncovered is hilarious.

Wrapped up Chapter 3 yesterday, some thoughts:

Chapter 3 is always a mixed bag for me. It has some incredible moments but the first three days of the festival are a pain. I think my issue is that it doesn't feel like there's a festival going on, besides day 1 imo. I get why they do it, the SSS needs to work and it's an excuse to give us support missions but wish we could see the parade for example - but it also sets the stage to bring the tourists to Crossbell and the Renne subplot.

Now for more positive things - Renne. I already said in another post that wish the Sky games had more availability outside of PC/PSP/VITA, that way a lot of new players to the franchise could experience them, though the Steam Deck certainly helps which makes me happy. The scene with Renne hiding in the closet while her parents reveal what actually happened, how wrong she was about what has happened always hits me hard, even more so knowing what she went through thanks to Door 15. It's a great moment.

Lechter time. Man, I love Lechter, he's one of my favorite characters in the whole series period. He's stupidly funny, smart and super sharp, which makes him super intriguing. The conversation between him and Kilika is awesome.

Besides that, it's nice to have another place to explore like Mishelam. The whole Schwarze Auction is great and challanging in Nightmare though it was pretty easy compared to the fight against the Mole lmao. Also playing as Wazy is great.

Anyway, it was great to finally see that dark side of Crossbell that we've heard about since the start of the game.

20221014224830_1.jpg
This part always makes me laugh, his pose is so funny

20221014233725_1.jpg

One of my favorite shots from the chapter.

Last edited:
I finished Chapter 2 tonight. I wanted to use Noel in my party which probably made the end of chapter boss fight a bit harder. But that did make it extra memorable this playthrough! I was getting a bit overwhelmed and kept getting hit with deathblows, but I squeaked out my win with everyone standing. The final scenes and revelations are well done. I do think it’s cool they reveal Yin’s identity so early since it is plausible to guess but still feels satisfying. One other thing I want to mention, I’ve been very satisfied with the expanded voice acting here. Usually ones I didn’t expect (like the character sounded different in my head) I came to accept quickly, but Dieter Crois’ over the top voice really caught me off guard lol. Looking forward to diving into chapter 3 tomorrow.

Finished chapter 3 last night, and it probably has some of my favorite moments in the series. So many awesome plot threads going on.

I'm also really enjoying Crossbell as a setting. Focusing on one city and how it responds to various events is a nice change of pace from what I've experienced in the Sky/Cold Steel games. I'm excited to keep playing and see where things go from here!

I finished it 😭 what an utterly fantastic game. The way the plot ramps up and then just unloads in the finale was magnificent. It's not often I beat a 75 hour game and I'm sad to see it go. I've immediately dug out my vita and began Trails in the Sky lol hopefully I can have played the trilogy before Azure comes along.

I finished it 😭 what an utterly fantastic game. The way the plot ramps up and then just unloads in the finale was magnificent. It's not often I beat a 75 hour game and I'm sad to see it go. I've immediately dug out my vita and began Trails in the Sky lol hopefully I can have played the trilogy before Azure comes along.
Yo!! Very glad you enjoyed it so much Donnie :) Would love to see you share your Sky journey either in here or in the general RPG thread :)

A new Trails fan is born 🎉. Nonetheless, I need to warn you. Burnout is real when playing too many Trails games consecutive without break. And FC has a very slow beginning.

God, the fight against the angels/dolls/whatever at Rosenberg Studio was such a pain in the ass on Nightmare! I had to reset like 5 times and after a lot of quartz optimization I finally got it.

Spotted Ken and Nana again on Chapter 3 Day 3 on West Street. Interesting they move around. I wonder if I missed them on other days if I didn’t visit a location outside the city.

I don't think they'd reveal Kuro right now, the game's probably more than two years away. I think they'll have a worldwide reveal of Ys X, along with some remasters of past Ys games.
I don't see why not. Reverie was announced in 2021 and it's coming out in 2023

I don't think they'd reveal Kuro right now, the game's probably more than two years away. I think they'll have a worldwide reveal of Ys X, along with some remasters of past Ys games.
Would they fully announce Ys X in a NISA event? That seems like something Falcom would do themselves.

Announcing Kuro for 2024 makes plenty of sense I'd say, if only to tide fans over.

This has to be Kuro right?

The voice acting panel for Reverie is this week, wouldn’t be surprised to see a release window if not a date and an update on Nayuta. Maybe we’ll get a name and year for Kuro, but I think that’s farther away.

Edit: I missed reading the text in the picture (overtired today), yeah we are getting Kuro news. Nothing else is floating out there that makes sense.

Last edited:
The voice acting panel for Reverie is this week, wouldn’t be surprised to see a release window if not a date and an update on Nayuta. Maybe we’ll get a name and year for Kuro, but I think that’s farther away.

Edit: I missed reading the text in the picture (overtired today), yeah we are getting Kuro news. Nothing else is floating out there that makes sense.
Regarding what NISA could potentially announce this week, I would like to point out that they show Cold Steel 1 art on that linked site.

CS1-artwork.png

Would they fully announce Ys X in a NISA event? That seems like something Falcom would do themselves.

Announcing Kuro for 2024 makes plenty of sense I'd say, if only to tide fans over.
There's a Ys stream in the schedule. I don't think it's for 8 or 9, they'll either show the first glimpse of X (simultaneous release), or some reamsters of older games like Ark of Napishtim.
Regarding what NISA could potentially announce this week, I would like to point out that they show Cold Steel 1 art on that linked site.

If they manage to get the rights to previous Kiseki games, Trails in the Sky should be the top priority. We still don't have any console release of TitS 3, ummm, SNK 3, that's not good either, the third game in the series.

Wow that would be a wonderful surprise if they manage to get Cold Steel I and II on Switch (and PS5 I guess). If that happened, the Sky games which I care most about would seemingly be on the table.

There's a Ys stream in the schedule. I don't think it's for 8 or 9, they'll either show the first glimpse of X (simultaneous release), or some reamsters of older games like Ark of Napishtim.

If they manage to get the rights to previous Kiseki games, Trails in the Sky should be the top priority. We still don't have any console release of TitS 3, ummm, SNK 3, that's not good either, the third game in the series.
If they get CS 1&2 for switch that would be golden.
Wow that would be a wonderful surprise if they manage to get Cold Steel I and II on Switch (and PS5 I guess). If that happened, the Sky games which I care most about would seemingly be on the table.
I think I need to stress that I haven't followed this site and it's entirely possible that it has been there all along and doesn't mean anything. Yet, if not that, Kuro news are on the table.

Thanks to this post, I bought Trails From Zero a couple weeks ago. I’ve been taking it slow and talking to everyone and exploring everything, and I’m absolutely addicted to this game.

I’m not a huge JRPG player. My only expertise with the genre has been Pokémon, and a couple Fire Emblem & Dragon Quest games on the DS.

This game is absolutely fantastic. It’s so charming and makes me feel so happy. You can tell it’s made with so much love.

Thanks to this post, I bought Trails From Zero a couple weeks ago. I’ve been taking it slow and talking to everyone and exploring everything, and I’m absolutely addicted to this game.

I’m not a huge JRPG player. My only expertise with the genre has been Pokémon, and a couple Fire Emblem & Dragon Quest games on the DS.

This game is absolutely fantastic. It’s so charming and makes me feel so happy. You can tell it’s made with so much love.
Awesome :) Very happy seeing series newcomers enjoying this game so much!

Realized none of us posted the trailer for Azure. Don’t click if you want to go in blind. It shows two of the biggest story beats for the game.

Back
Top Bottom