• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Trails From Zero Is Out Now. Fami, Let Me Share My Full Enthusiasm For This Awesome Game With You.

Might as well make this the "ST".

Looks great on my 1440p monitor + 144hz is just delightful. Decided to get all achievements so Nightamre run it is! Hopefully I still remember some of the strats and builds from my last playthrough.

The game is nearly downloaded, and I’m excited to dive in! But life reared its head this week and I probably won’t have much time to play other than snippets here and there until Sunday or later. Will be a good time, though.

Might as well make this the "ST".

Looks great on my 1440p monitor + 144hz is just delightful. Decided to get all achievements so Nightamre run it is! Hopefully I still remember some of the strats and builds from my last playthrough.
I’m cool with this being the official unofficial ST, gotta get the word out more people need to jump in!

Played two hours last night and I’m free to explore Crossbell for the first time. Love how cozy this game is.

I booted it up to see how it looks on the OLED and it did not disappoint (granted almost all games look great on it). I think the portraits are the real looker. Also its very interesting seeing a bunch of options not typical in switch games, the fact that you can change how an enemy encounter begins (leader or party interaction) is a cool mechanic for people looking to play it differently.

Fami, please. I really did not need another game right now, especially a JRPG. Still, I caved.

The PC port is really great, supporting ultrawide, high frame rate, etc. Still, this is the type of game I'm more likely to play on Switch so I ended up buying it there as well.

So here I am, playing this game on the Switch as I sit at my PC with a perfectly good port that has pretty much everything I could ask for. Of course it'll make more sense when I can't be at my PC, but that's besides the point.

Played the PSP version with the Old translation.

Bought the game so I can play again and complete my Trails collection on Steam.

Played through the Trails in the Sky trilogy over 2020 and adored every second of it, although I don’t really remember the finer details. Planning on replaying them before getting into Crossbell, although I’m not sure when to start Zero.

Does Zero end on a cliffhanger like Sky FC? If so, I’ll probably hold off so I can play Zero and Azure back-to-back, rather than waiting for 6+ months.

Super early impressions (just did the first tutorial dungeon so far):

• The game looks quite good on Switch, the colors pop and the character models have a good look and feel to them
  • It's very charming, plus the music, and everything about it is just 'cozy' right off the bat
  • It's kind of funny just how much this starts off like Trails of Cold Steel: You get a brief 'flash forward' to way later in the game, you're then thrust into a tutorial-y dungeon that it seems like you'll be going back to repeatedly, you then get a dormitory with your other party members, etc.
  • Maybe it was the choices I made, but that final battle in the Geofront on hard was kind of annoying since the enemies can just decide to two-shot the NPC and then you auto-lose. Seemed a bit RNG-heavy unless you were saving up your S-breaks or something

Played through the Trails in the Sky trilogy over 2020 and adored every second of it, although I don’t really remember the finer details. Planning on replaying them before getting into Crossbell, although I’m not sure when to start Zero.

Does Zero end on a cliffhanger like Sky FC? If so, I’ll probably hold off so I can play Zero and Azure back-to-back, rather than waiting for 6+ months.
Answer:

No. Lots of hanging threads but no cliffhanger.

Bought it, but not starting it. I love the series but I can't start Zero unless I know the date for Azure.

Can't handle possible cliffhangers lol

Zero does not end on a big cliffhanger.

Made a bit of progress today

Wald hits like mofo on Nightmare, had to farm a bit to get Lloyd to 200 CP and put him all the way down so I could cast Forte and then spam his s craft

Also yeah, there are a lot of changes in the script compared to the Geofront version but I'm really liking it. I'm very happy with this version of the game.

Thank you! Sky First Chapter and Cold Steel 1 scarred me.
Ha yeah. Sky especially so for me lol. I played it when it first released and had to wait four years for SC to come out in English.

This will definitely have to wait but do people really truly actually think this is good as a first Trails experience? I wouldn't be missing out on references or spoiling games released earlier? Because I may pick it up later on down the road during a lull, the aesthetic of the gameplay snippets in the trailer is pretty charming.

I have always wanted to dive into this series but the continued lack of TiTS ports bugs me as that trilogy was always touted by fans as the place to start.

This will definitely have to wait but do people really truly actually think this is good as a first Trails experience? I wouldn't be missing out on references or spoiling games released earlier? Because I may pick it up later on down the road during a lull, the aesthetic of the gameplay snippets in the trailer is pretty charming.

I have always wanted to dive into this series but the continued lack of TiTS ports bugs me as that trilogy was always touted by fans as the place to start.
If you absolutely want the full experience, like that’s something you are actively concerned with where you know it will bother you, start with Sky. There are returning characters in this one and there is some cool stuff for Sky fans here (including closure on a big character thread). However you will not get all the details about these characters or their past adventures beyond mostly “the day was saved” prior if that even applies to them. Because the characters of this game are meeting returning characters for the first time, some characters you will not know are returning characters so you still can discover their role in past games.

For most people this is a good place to start. It is primarily about new characters in a new country. You can always go backwards or forwards from here. That said, you can only experience something once for the first time, so go with your gut. The vibe I’m getting from your post is that you should start with Sky. It’ll run on any PC from the last ten years easily and you can still get it on Vita if that’s an option for you.

If you absolutely want the full experience, like that’s something you are actively concerned with where you know it will bother you, start with Sky. There are returning characters in this one and there is some cool stuff for Sky fans here (including closure on a big character thread). However you will not get all the details about these characters or their past adventures beyond mostly “the day was saved” prior if that even applies to them. Because the characters of this game are meeting returning characters for the first time, some characters you will not know are returning characters so you still can discover their role in past games.

For most people this is a good place to start. It is primarily about new characters in a new country. You can always go backwards or forwards from here. That said, you can only experience something once for the first time, so go with your gut. The vibe I’m getting from your post is that you should start with Sky. It’ll run on any PC from the last ten years easily and you can still get it on Vita if that’s an option for you.

Trails in the Sky is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time so if you decide to go in that direction you are still in for a good time!

Thank you, this is really helpful - kind of reassures me that Zero would still be a good place to start since as you say, you're not going to get much about the old characters beyond the basics.

Unfortunately I don't have a PC and the only Trails game on Vita here is SC. I've been tempted in the past to emulate the PSP versions but I've heard the script is improved in the later port of FC - still, it might be my best choice until I next need to replace my laptop as newer Macs have made running Windows applications more annoying. I think my need for the 'right' experience will just hold me back otherwise (plus knowing my luck if I do start playing it they'll announce a port of the trilogy when I'm halfway through lol).

Still disappointed they didn't dub this or Azure. I get it was a necessary evil to make this, Azure, and Nayuta possible, but it's still disappointing as someone who's played every other game in the series dubbed.

The problem here is about what was in Japan. The PSP versions only had battle lines voiced, so that would be easy to dub in English. The Evolution games on PS Vita voiced pretty much the entire thing though. It's way more than what would be in a Cold Steel game (25k voice lines for just Zero, for example).

Ignoring the financial cost, there's the time it would take to record each game in English. Prepping the script would take months, getting the actors would take another month or so. Time in the studio could last beyond eight weeks. Then there's programming it into the game and testing it all. It's not a stretch to suggest that with all that text being voiced that it would have ballooned the schedule another six or eight months just for Trails from Zero. That would have probably also been the effect to Azure (although I think Azure's count is lower). That would also impact Reverie, which is being done after the Crossbell titles.

So that would push Zero out another half-year, Azure out a full year, and Reverie beyond that (although probably close to Azure still since English voice acting is part of its schedule). Part of the issue with the time consumption is also an opportunity cost. With people preparing the script, managing the contracts with the studio, going into the studio, and handling quality assurance, 12-16 months is enough time to put those same people on something new, where their work would be going into building up a project that would earn revenue, instead of continuing to work on something that is costing money.

Then there's question of is it worth the ROI. Now to ignore the schedule and opportunity cost - is English dubbing worth the financial cost? Is there a million dollars worth (likely considerably more) or beyond in terms of revenue that would come from new fans buying the Crossbell games just because they had an English dub? Probably not.

English voice overs will happen if a company is confident that it's worth the time and financial investment. So if there's a very minimal amount of voice acting, it's worth giving it a shot because it might be worth the investment. If there's a lot, then the game usually has to be big enough to support it. It's common for any Square-Enix game to do it because they can easily afford it an their games will clear a million-seller mark with ease all the time. It's more difficult for something even as popular as Atelier Ryza.

Haven’t had too much time to play these past few days, but I’m almost four hours in. Did my first sweep of Crossbell and my first round of side quests. Forgot how excellent the Arc En Ciel theme is in the Entertainment District.

Okay, bit the bullet. Just ordered Trails from Zero along with Persona 5 launch edition. Trails Arrives next week.

For some reason Best Buy is sending me the EU version? Not that it matters, but jebus, I hate the big red European PEGI box.

Honestly, I wish ratings were kept only back of the box and they would use stickers on the wrap for front of the box. They ruin perfectly great artwork.

Ah, I still remember when I saw this scene for the first time. I was so hyped lol. And it still brings me a lot of joy remembering everything they went through in the Sky trilogy
20220929181953_1.jpg

20220929182001_1.jpg

Have to say NISA did a fantastic job on the PC port, compare to the Joyoland version I played 10+ years ago, it's a much much more enjoyable experiment.

Played poker like 2 hours, that's all the progress I did today lmao

I usually don't bother with this but in Nightmare I need all the good equipment I can get.

Played poker like 2 hours, that's all the progress I did today lmao

I usually don't bother with this but in Nightmare I need all the good equipment I can get.
Trails From Zero is the only poker minigame I ever put decent time into. No idea why.

The absolute brain worms complaints I've seen from a handful of people about the empty chest translations absolutely blows my mind. Just another reminder that the people who screech the loudest about localization/translation issues are by far the most clueless clowns on the internet.

The absolute brain worms complaints I've seen from a handful of people about the empty chest translations absolutely blows my mind. Just another reminder that the people who screech the loudest about localization/translation issues are by far the most clueless clowns on the internet.
Don’t they have messages, though? I think the first two show “this chest is empty” and then the third one pulls a “syke!”

Sorry for the OT but these beauties just arrived! Decided to start collecting the physical games. This is just the first step, so happy.

20220930_160306.jpg

I've played an 1-1:30 hours so far, and its a very cozy game. I will take my time with it since its my first time playing a Trails game, (I know everything about Sky's plot and characters though) I want to enjoy it and pace myself to where I know when Azure is releasing.

I do hope future Falcom releases (outside of the ones announced) get a similar treatment. A rather simple feature have come to appreciate is looking back at conversations (and specially if they are voiced) because sometimes I mash the button by accident. Its not a coincidence some of my favorite games I've played this year have this feature (Triangle Strategy, AI and Undernauts).

Had a ton of time to play today and virtually did all of chapter 1, day 1. Saved right at the start of day 2. Having a lot of fun now that I’m properly into the adventure. For the early battles especially, I definitely appreciate turbo is a toggle in this version and you can skip animations like group attacks. Definitely makes gathering resources and XP a breeze which lets you get to the next story segments and tougher challenges like boss fights and monster chests that demand your engagement sooner.

Two big things I’m enjoying with the official/definitive release are the reshuffled treasure chest dialogue and significantly expanded spoken dialogue. I’m glad the treasure chest dialogue is a mix of old and new since it keeps you on your toes and also since there are a good few I’d be sad if they were changed (like the first one outside of Crossbell). While it slows down the game a bit, I’m really enjoying listening to all of the added voiced dialog (the main scenario is seemingly fully voiced which is wild). It’s fun to see what I understand (I took two years of Japanese in college) and there are some lines that get some added weight and/or clarity when voiced like one with Tio after she talks to the nurse. Incidentally, this has been extra fun to revisit Zero having beaten it and its sequel. I know where these characters are going and seeing how the game lays the seeds for certain developments is very fun. Hope to play more soon!

Edit: Almost forgot, I’m glad the dialog is the same for the fishing spot at the hospital. It’s super amusing in my book lol. “If fishing at a hospital is wrong, I don’t want to be right!”

Finished chapter 1

Zero has a lot of lengthy cutscenes but compared to CS1 and Sky FC shit really hits the fan early on. Also the start was really tough on Nightmare but it gets really easy once you get access to chrono down, dark matter and Randy's Power Smash. Enemies just don't hit you lol

I love the exchange between Arios and Renne at the end of the chapter and hits different if you have played the Sky trilogy.

Last edited:
I went and bought the game thanks to this wonderful thread! I'll try and keep you all updated on my journey :blobsalute: I've played a little of trails in the sky 1 on my laptop but I didn't get far, iirc I started it at a very silly time when a lot of games were releasing lol and that's all I've experienced with the series. Thankfully the first post is an excellent primer

I went and bought the game thanks to this wonderful thread! I'll try and keep you all updated on my journey :blobsalute: I've played a little of trails in the sky 1 on my laptop but I didn't get far, iirc I started it at a very silly time when a lot of games were releasing lol and that's all I've experienced with the series. Thankfully the first post is an excellent primer
Awesome! Looking forward to your posts :)

I was gonna play till I finished the prologue and I am in the middle of Chap 1 lol. The earliest of impressions is that the cast, so far, has been one of the most down to earth jrpg cast I've encountered in a while. No cast is immune from stereotypes but their interactions are very endearing.

Played a few more hours finally, game is fun! Although I spent literally that entire time doing nothing but exploring the whole city and having no combat at all, lol. Looks like all the usual stuff from Cold Steel is here too (cooking, fishing, etc). It’s interesting to see just how similar all the menus/“feel” of the game is between the two games despite different engines and consoles (at least I assume they’re different engines?)

No English dub?
Unfortunately no, but Stu Benedict wrote a lengthy post on this same page which explains it all.

Played a few more hours finally, game is fun! Although I spent literally that entire time doing nothing but exploring the whole city and having no combat at all, lol. Looks like all the usual stuff from Cold Steel is here too (cooking, fishing, etc). It’s interesting to see just how similar all the menus/“feel” of the game is between the two games despite different engines and consoles (at least I assume they’re different engines?)
Not doing anything else than exploring, talking to NPCs and other stuff means you are playing the game the Kiseki way lol.

This post convinced me to buy this game, and I'm glad I did. It's my first foray into this series (and Falcom games in general), and I must say, I am very impressed. The art style is sublime and the combat is streamlined and makes sense. I've tried other JRPGs, but was turned off by how complex the combat systems can become. It becomes overwhelming sometimes.

I'm very much enjoying this game. Shame there's no English voice acting, but it's a minor gripe.

Wanted to reply way earlier, but the day escaped me. Yeah one thing very nice about Trails at least through the first nine games is that they started with a good, forward thinking foundation and largely just kept iterating and adding on to it. One of my favorite things too is seeing how they translated the series into 3D because the world really does feel just right and the Cold Steel games still ultimately have the same pacing/feel of the first five (even if they aren’t maximum cozy vibes like the first five games). We are years off I’m sure, but I’m definitely curious what the big shake up will feel like whenever we get Kuro No Kiseki (Trails 11).

Wanted to reply way earlier, but the day escaped me. Yeah one thing very nice about Trails at least through the first nine games is that they started with a good, forward thinking foundation and largely just kept iterating and adding on to it. One of my favorite things too is seeing how they translated the series into 3D because the world really does feel just right and the Cold Steel games still ultimately have the same pacing/feel of the first five (even if they aren’t maximum cozy vibes like the first five games). We are years off I’m sure, but I’m definitely curious what the big shake up will feel like whenever we get Kuro No Kiseki (Trails 11).
One of these days I'll finally pick up Cold Steel 3. Maybe I'll wait until after I do the Crossbell games, at this point, so I have that context added in when I do. I enjoyed CS1 a lot, but CS2 lost me a little, despite still having a lot of good to it

One of these days I'll finally pick up Cold Steel 3. Maybe I'll wait until after I do the Crossbell games, at this point, so I have that context added in when I do. I enjoyed CS1 a lot, but CS2 lost me a little, despite still having a lot of good to it
Yeah I’d wait until after finishing Azure and then dive into Cold Steel III. That’s my favorite of the Cold Steel games.

One Trails game on its own is good but not gonna blow anyone's mind. But if you look at the big picture, the interconnectivity and overarching plot of the series is an achievement in writing and especially with all the NPC stories, the continent of Zemuria feels as close as a real place to me as a video game world can, tbh.

If you don't mind lots of dialogue in a game, don't sleep on this series. It's the MCU of video games, just better.

Don’t they have messages, though? I think the first two show “this chest is empty” and then the third one pulls a “syke!”
They do, but that's exactly what some people take issue with. Because in the original JP, every single chest just says "the chest is empty". But apparently it's 47382 different strings of code saying "The chest is empty", so the og localizers for Trails in the Sky put their own spin on it and made a different message for every chest. NISA & Geofront only carried on that tradition in the localization here.

But to some people, since the jokes aren't in th Japanese version, this is blasphemy and shouldn't be allowed. Or some shit. They're really up in arms about it. About OPTIONAL chest messages. They'd rather they'd have stuck with "This chest is empty" for the entire game.

EDIT: SOOOORRY for the double post

Finished the prologue! This game is very cool, I'm enjoying my time greatly. I love the feel of it being set in one city and focusing on things like political corruption and society inequity oppose to a big world saving adventure. Maybe that comes later, but the intro definitely gives the game a strong character of it's own. The only thing I've found a little offputting is some of Randy's comments; I appreciate he's supposed to be a bit of a sleaze but some of the interactions with the younger female npcs in particular are a bit much. Keeping in mind this is a game that's like 12 years old and from a different time though.

Back
Top Bottom