• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Spoiler The Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Postgame & Spoiler Discussion Thread

The more I think about it, the more I realize the DLC story has to take place inside Aionious simply because all the mechanics of the battle system can only exist inside Aionious. If the story is about the creation of Origin or an epilogue in the reconstructed worlds, you can't have ouroboros, you can't have the instant weapon summons without the Iris system which means you can't have Master Arts or the mixing of circle arts with diamond arts, and the casts would be separated into different worlds only being able to communicate long range with the language of light.

And then there are other mechanics that would resume existing in the original worlds/reconstructed worlds like the driver and blade system which would be a lot of work to implement into 3's system and only half the cast would have access to it.

I watched Luxin's video and he suggests the DLC story would be eight years after the post-credit scene where Noah can be 18 again and it would switch back and forth between Shulk's world and Alrest as the two sides would build a way to meet again. But then you have to take into account the new ages. Eunie and Lanz would still be little kids by the time Noah and Joran are 18. Eunie would need another 70 years and Lanz several hundred for them to look 18 again. Then how would it play?

Would the 1 team just play like 1 with all cooldown arts and auto-attacks charge the talent art, but maybe with only six arts instead of eight still mapped to the same buttons as 3? And I guess the 2 side would play like Torna. I know Luxin predicted Future Connected, but I struggle to see how this epilogue idea could be made a reality.

If they did do that, however, I could totally see Taion being a driver with Isurd and Nimue as his blades. Then I guess Mio would be a flesh-eater driver like her mom with Sena and Miyabi as her blades (admittedly, I'm not sure if Miyabi's crystal is a core crystal or just a clothing accessory).
I've been saying this, it literally cannot be an epilogue, it could however contain some post epilogue stuff in cutscenes at the end but I honestly don't think an epilogue in necessary considering how the game ended. I'd much prefer them flesh out early Aionios lore and concepts, also gives us a good opportunity to see the 1 and 2 cast with Shulk and Rex meeting.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the DLC story has to take place inside Aionious simply because all the mechanics of the battle system can only exist inside Aionious. If the story is about the creation of Origin or an epilogue in the reconstructed worlds, you can't have ouroboros, you can't have the instant weapon summons without the Iris system which means you can't have Master Arts or the mixing of circle arts with diamond arts, and the casts would be separated into different worlds only being able to communicate long range with the language of light.

And then there are other mechanics that would resume existing in the original worlds/reconstructed worlds like the driver and blade system which would be a lot of work to implement into 3's system and only half the cast would have access to it.

I watched Luxin's video and he suggests the DLC story would be eight years after the post-credit scene where Noah can be 18 again and it would switch back and forth between Shulk's world and Alrest as the two sides would build a way to meet again. But then you have to take into account the new ages. Eunie and Lanz would still be little kids by the time Noah and Joran are 18. Eunie would need another 70 years and Lanz several hundred for them to look 18 again. Then how would it play?

Would the 1 team just play like 1 with all cooldown arts and auto-attacks charge the talent art, but maybe with only six arts instead of eight still mapped to the same buttons as 3? And I guess the 2 side would play like Torna. I know Luxin predicted Future Connected, but I struggle to see how this epilogue idea could be made a reality.

If they did do that, however, I could totally see Taion being a driver with Isurd and Nimue as his blades. Then I guess Mio would be a flesh-eater driver like her mom with Sena and Miyabi as her blades (admittedly, I'm not sure if Miyabi's crystal is a core crystal or just a clothing accessory).
Torna changed up the battle system by limiting customization, but reworking several of the core mechanics and adding new ones. Having the Xenoblade 3 DLC remove the class system, but lean into the Keves vs Agnus differences more seems like a reasonable equivalent. At the very least, I feel very confident the full class system will not survive the reduction in scope.

Party composition would definitely be a bit of a question mark in the epilogue scenario, but I think that equally applies to the founders scenario, albeit for somewhat different reasons. Noah and Mio are the only two base game party members I think are guaranteed to get slots, either because the other two pairs don't seem to have the same history, or the aforementioned age issues.

Torna changed up the battle system by limiting customization, but reworking several of the core mechanics and adding new ones. Having the Xenoblade 3 DLC remove the class system, but lean into the Keves vs Agnus differences more seems like a reasonable equivalent. At the very least, I feel very confident the full class system will not survive the reduction in scope.

Party composition would definitely be a bit of a question mark in the epilogue scenario, but I think that equally applies to the founders scenario, albeit for somewhat different reasons. Noah and Mio are the only two base game party members I think are guaranteed to get slots, either because the other two pairs don't seem to have the same history, or the aforementioned age issues.
That's about what I was expecting. Similar to Torna simplying the blade system and FC getting rid of skill trees and skill links, there would be a reduction in the amount of customization for this new story. Maybe only two pairs share arts with each other.

I would not at all expect Noah and Mio to be playable though. The statue that they mention as looking like Noah and the one with the cat ears are said to have been brother and sister according to the plaques, so they are more likely to be the descendants of N and M. And Noah was already N when he destroyed the first city years before the founders built the second city.

I was under the impression that the Noah and Mio we play as were the first time N and M had been reincarnated since becoming Moebius - something that should've been impossible but is some kind of miracle (which is why M calls them something like the incarnation of their hope).

I'm also confused as to the mentors that look like and are described in the plaques as being Shulk and Rex. They seem to be adults and didn't come from Keves and Agnus. Two of the other founders are said to be from Keves and Agnus and the plaques say how unusual and unbelievable it was that they lived for 80 years. That implies these two are among the only instances of Kevesi/Agnian soldiers living beyond 10 years. If Shulk and Rex also did that then I assume the plaque wouldn't point it out as something special for the other two.

So Shulk's and Rex's virtual souls were in Origin and could presumably be recycled over and over as soldiers along with anyone else. But the statues implying they weren't soldiers would mean these mentors had to be children of people from the first City therefore not reconstructions of Shulk and Rex. Having similar appearances and weapons to them could just be easter eggs.

Alternatively, Melia and Nia weren't alone in creating virtual versions of themselves to shepherd Origin. Shulk and Rex also had virtual immortal versions to help Melia and Nia but they were killed by Moebius after helping start the second city.

That's about what I was expecting. Similar to Torna simplying the blade system and FC getting rid of skill trees and skill links, there would be a reduction in the amount of customization for this new story. Maybe only two pairs share arts with each other.

I would not at all expect Noah and Mio to be playable though. The statue that they mention as looking like Noah and the one with the cat ears are said to have been brother and sister according to the plaques, so they are more likely to be the descendants of N and M. And Noah was already N when he destroyed the first city years before the founders built the second city.

I was under the impression that the Noah and Mio we play as were the first time N and M had been reincarnated since becoming Moebius - something that should've been impossible but is some kind of miracle (which is why M calls them something like the incarnation of their hope).

I'm also confused as to the mentors that look like and are described in the plaques as being Shulk and Rex. They seem to be adults and didn't come from Keves and Agnus. Two of the other founders are said to be from Keves and Agnus and the plaques say how unusual and unbelievable it was that they lived for 80 years. That implies these two are among the only instances of Kevesi/Agnian soldiers living beyond 10 years. If Shulk and Rex also did that then I assume the plaque wouldn't point it out as something special for the other two.

So Shulk's and Rex's virtual souls were in Origin and could presumably be recycled over and over as soldiers along with anyone else. But the statues implying they weren't soldiers would mean these mentors had to be children of people from the first City therefore not reconstructions of Shulk and Rex. Having similar appearances and weapons to them could just be easter eggs.

Alternatively, Melia and Nia weren't alone in creating virtual versions of themselves to shepherd Origin. Shulk and Rex also had virtual immortal versions to help Melia and Nia but they were killed by Moebius after helping start the second city.
Yeah, I guess that's a fair point. If it's founders, it would probably be Noah and Mio's descendants, but they'll probably still mechanically be Noah and Mio (unless they really want to lean in on the Fei Fong Wong resemblance).

The situation with the other founder statues is definitely pretty strange, though (especially the one that looks exactly like Shulk, but seemingly isn't). The status quo in Aionios definitely isn't entirely static, and one gets the sense that the other 1 and 2 party members may have had some special status, but it's very unclear what was going on there.

This is happening after the universes were destroyed, right? So Aionios must be the result of the failed boot, which could explain its haphazard and scattered landscape with the annihilation events.
No, Aionios was created after Z gets Melia's access to the inner workings of Origin. What happened during Origin's initialization is similar to turning on a computer and having it freeze while it's booting.
Origin was inside Aionios, not the other way around. Origin was for all intents and purposes a location inside Aionios, while the surrounding world of Aionios was a pocket universe Origin had created. Same idea, though. I just disagree that Origin contained Aionios which contained an exact functional replica of Origin—that's recursive.
I disagree here, the Origin we see in Aionios is the systems database; this is why Z made it his base.
I understand that this is your interpretation of what both Nia and Z mean when they say Z stopped time, but my point is that you have to basically assume that the game is deceiving you by this. The opening and closing scenes of the game are literally time stopping, and two characters say one of them stopped time.

If they meant it figuratively, the game is doing and absolutely horrible job at telling you this. We're bending over backwards trying to make sense of it.
There is nothing deceptive about it since figurative language is a common literary staple. When Nia and Z bring up that Z "stopped time" it's clear to me that they don't mean it literally since time is still moving within Aionios which is the only currently existing world. In Nia's case she's saying it like that so it'll be easier for Noah & co. to understand how Z is responsible for the state of the world. Meanwhile in Zs case it's obvious that he is a theatrical being judging by the theater where he watches the worlds events and the company he keeps. It's no surprise to me that he would play up his actions in Aionios as a figurative freezing of time. There is no time stoppage in the game, the opening scene is the universe ending while the closing scene is Origin restarting from that point and the worlds moving on from within Origin.

I'm honestly not trying to bend over backwards trying to make sense of this since it feels very clear-cut to me.
I assume by interlink you mean the result of the failed boot
No, what I mean is that once Z has Melia's key he forces an interlink between the recreated worlds within Origin. In doing so he created Moebius A, otherwise known as Aionios, which is why we don't meet a Consul A in story.

The failed boot was just Origin freezing after powering on.
I assumed the ending meant that the new universes were created from the save states as they were from the start, essentially "reverting" the thousand or so years that happened in Aionios — but with some lingering data left over, in the form of vague recognition in the characters. I like this idea.
Yes, Melia and Nia planned to have Origin start up right when both universes ended so that life would potentially continue from that point on within Origin. I say potentially because they'd have no idea whether or not Origin worked since they would cease to be along with their original universes. Fortunately once Z was taken care of Origin was allowed to reboot and worked as intended which is why we go back to Noah's youth at the end.

The game also makes a point that memories of their past lives do linger as we see with Eunie remembering her last death and with some of the Heroes like Ashera. So I wouldn't be surprised if the memories of their adventures within Aionios or at least their relationships linger with the characters in the rebooted worlds.
I think this is an interesting take, but it would make more sense if you said "Z" instead
No, I meant "Klaus" because the whole mainline Xenoblade series started because he messed around with the original Conduit. Eventually another being will mess around with Origin, which is a new Conduit, and start the cycle all over again.

Full list of Founders from the statues.

- Shulk Lookalike: House Ortiz. Kevesi soldier freed from flame clocks by other founders. Liberated the city as one of the first Ouroboros. skill in mechanical engineering, fought with a weapon of his own fabrication and created the mechanics of the city. Rebuilt the city and perished at 80, though it remains a mystery how he escaped the age limit

- Girl with Skirt and Long ponytail: House Rhodes. An Agnian Soldier who was fighting to the death with the Shulk lookalike and the fight was interrupted by other founders. Freed from Flame Clock by them. Gentle and kind at heart, healing contributed to city’s medical science. Passed at 80 years, a similar mystery to Shulk lookalike. Lots of parallels with them, maybe a relationship?

- Tall Malos looking dude with jacket open/possible Older Rex: House Cassini. this is NOT the founder, but her mentor. The mentor wielded two greatswords and was missing an eye. Aided the founders in fighting Moebius. Free spirit and influenced the other founders who were young and impressionable. Was this the one y’all say was like Rex?

-Fei/Noah Lookalike: House Vandham. The founder realized Ouroboros’ power and ousted N. Gathered the city’s people and reestablished. Left it’s government to Doyle and departed on a lonely expedition. No records thereafter. House Vandham’s lineage returned to the city centuries later. Master of fistfighting

- Gormotti/Mio Lookalike: House Doyle. Directly descended from establishers of the original city. Lost whereabouts after N’s attack on the old city, but encountered the other founders and fought with them. Was siblings with founder of Vandham. Brought Power of Ouroboros to completion with him. Bright and wise, established the city’s govt and legal system.

- Also a Noah lookalike/older Shulk/Klaus: House Reid. This is NOT the founder, but a statue of her mentor. Mentor raised her as if she was his own. Fought with a great red sword that struck fear into Moebius. Lost his right arm. (Wait is this one y’all are saying was Shulk?)

So yeah, really digging into this I’m almost positive this is the DLC. Seems like stuff they planned out with the intention of fleshing out more.

Last edited:

- Shulk Lookalike: House Ortiz. Kevesi soldier freed from flame clocks by other founders. Liberated the city as one of the first Ouroboros. skill in mechanical engineering, fought with a weapon of his own fabrication and created the mechanics of the city. Rebuilt the city and perished at 80, though it remains a mystery how he escaped the age limit

- Girl with Skirt and Long ponytail: House Rhodes. An Agnian Soldier who was fighting to the death with the Shulk lookalike and the fight was interrupted by other founders. Freed from Flame Clock by them. Gentle and kind at heart, healing contributed to city’s medical science. Passed at 80 years, a similar mystery to Shulk lookalike. Lots of parallels with them, maybe a relationship?

- Tall Malos looking dude with jacket open: House Cassini. this is NOT the founder, but her mentor. The mentor wielded two greatswords and was missing an eye. Aided the founders in fighting Moebius. Free spirit and influenced the other founders who were young and impressionable. Was this the one y’all say was like Rex?

-Fei/Noah Lookalike: House Vandham. The founder realized Ouroboros’ power and ousted N. Gathered them city’s people and reestablished. Left it’s government to Doyle and departed on a lonely expedition. No records thereafter. House Vandham’s lineage returned to the city centuries later. Master of fistfighting

- Gormotti/Mio Lookalike: House Doyle. Directly descended from establishers of the original city. Lost whereabouts after N’s attack on the old city, but encountered the other founders and fought with them. Was siblings with founder of Vandham. Brought Power of Ouroboros to completion with him. Bright and wise, established the city’s govt and legal system.

- Also a Noah lookalike?: House Reid. This is NOT the founder, but a statue of her mentor. Mentor raised her as if she was his own. Fought with a great red sword that struck fear into Moebius. Lost his right arm. (Wait is this one y’all are saying was Shulk?)

So yeah, really digging into this I’m almost positive this is the DLC. Seems like stuff they planned out with the intention of fleshing out more.
Yea, the two mentors are who people are talking about being Shulk and Rex references. Rex looking more like Malos especially with the hairstyle matches how he looks in the infamous family photo. And the other mentor is identical to Klaus which is what you would assume an older Shulk to look like. Combined with their weapons and personality descriptions make it seem like the references are intentional.

Also, the wounds inflicted on them in their fights against the Moebius match their own mentors. Shulk loses an arm like Dunban and Rex loses an eye like Zeke.

Controversial (?) take regarding Rex's picture:

I think the original Xenoblade 2 already heavily implied that, it make perfect sense based on the character development in XC2 and it was even clearer they were going that direction when they patched Nia in the post-game title screen.
I saw it as confirmation of what was left to the player's immagination.

Poppi broke me however. I would die for Poppi.

The founders are 4 women and two men. Something I find interesting both in that you don’t really see women outnumbering men in a JRPG party, and it disrupts the Ouroboros pairing balance.

Controversial (?) take regarding Rex's picture:

I think the original Xenoblade 2 already heavily implied that, it make perfect sense based on the character development in XC2 and it was even clearer they were going that direction when they patched Nia in the post-game title screen.
I saw it as confirmation of what was left to the player's immagination.

Poppi broke me however. I would die for Poppi.
I have no problem with the photo, kinda ridiculous anyone would flip out over something that's seen for less than 3 seconds. I'm not a fan of Harems but this is the only time I really don't have a problem with it.

- Tall Malos looking dude with jacket open/possible Older Rex: House Cassini. this is NOT the founder, but her mentor. The mentor wielded two greatswords and was missing an eye. Aided the founders in fighting Moebius. Free spirit and influenced the other founders who were young and impressionable. Was this the one y’all say was like Rex?

-Fei/Noah Lookalike: House Vandham. The founder realized Ouroboros’ power and ousted N. Gathered the city’s people and reestablished. Left it’s government to Doyle and departed on a lonely expedition. No records thereafter. House Vandham’s lineage returned to the city centuries later. Master of fistfighting

- Also a Noah lookalike/older Shulk/Klaus: House Reid. This is NOT the founder, but a statue of her mentor. Mentor raised her as if she was his own. Fought with a great red sword that struck fear into Moebius. Lost his right arm. (Wait is this one y’all are saying was Shulk?)

I'm still not sure which one of the founders is Shulk, the Kevesi soldier looks 100% like Shulk but the description of the one with a cape and metal arm also fits him.

I still believe that the agnus soldier could be Pyra considering she has a core crystal that looks like the conduit crystal + Pneuma style hair.

The founders are 4 women and two men. Something I find interesting both in that you don’t really see women outnumbering men in a JRPG party, and it disrupts the Ouroboros pairing balance.
Shulk and Rex would likely play a very prominent role, which would balance out the party with 4 of each. Same as the current setup when counting Riku and Manana.

I almost feel like the endings for Melia and Nia were just Monolith playing with memes surrounding the previous game. People said 2 was a harem game, so they just went with it. Meanwhile, Melia gets the forever alone ending where Nia's big family photo is contrasted with Melia's only relic being the sword of a boy she once had an unrequited crush on, and no mention of Tyrea despite FC being all about Melia and Tyrea finding family in each other.

These two scenes almost felt like a parody to me.

I almost feel like the endings for Melia and Nia were just Monolith playing with memes surrounding the previous game. People said 2 was a harem game, so they just went with it. Meanwhile, Melia gets the forever alone ending where Nia's big family photo is contrasted with Melia's only relic being the sword of a boy she once had an unrequited crush on, and no mention of Tyrea despite FC being all about Melia and Tyrea finding family in each other.

These two scenes almost felt like a parody to me.

One last "oh poor Melia"

Yea, the two mentors are who people are talking about being Shulk and Rex references. Rex looking more like Malos especially with the hairstyle matches how he looks in the infamous family photo. And the other mentor is identical to Klaus which is what you would assume an older Shulk to look like. Combined with their weapons and personality descriptions make it seem like the references are intentional.

Also, the wounds inflicted on them in their fights against the Moebius match their own mentors. Shulk loses an arm like Dunban and Rex loses an eye like Zeke.
Zeke's eye is actually ok lol

The real tragedy is that we still don't know the fifth rule of the salvager code

Let’s be real, Rex and Shulk teaming up in Aionios… well, it’s just a bit nothing given the context of the world.

But ignoring that for a second because it’s a fact that won’t change (that’s the bed XC3 made, we’ve just got to lay in it)…

The idea that the pair could get fed into the moebius machine and recycled over and over again would be an absolute disaster from a narrative point of view IMO.

I want to believe Monolith Soft won’t go that far.

I think the only way XC3 could leave me less satisfied is if it killed off Rex and Shulk, then called it a day. It would seriously make me reconsider my enthusiasm for the franchise going forward.

Haven't done the postgame quests yet but wanted to talk about what I liked about the world, since that got some criticism in the other thread. Most of this could probably go there but some people were getting antsy about potential spoilers so eh

The sword of the Mechonis looming over your adventure is definitely a little too on-the-nose as an XC1 callback, but the fact that it serves as your destination throughout the first half of the story and comes closer into view sets it apart from the Mechonis and the World Tree. XC1 is climbing the Bionis and XC2 is Titan-hopping, neither of which are really bringing you any closer to that staggering monolith soft in the distance, but here there's more of a purpose to having it visible.

Likewise, the Ferronises are great landmarks in their own rights, calling back to XC1 letting you see that game's Colony 9 from the Leg. Venturing further and further south through Fornis and seeing the Colony 4 Ferronis shrink off into the distance behind you helps emphasize the scale of both the world and these giant robots that people live near. I understand the criticism of how this game handles towns, but I really enjoyed seeing how different Colonies built their settlements, both around their Ferronises and to adapt to their environments.

While a lot of people liked the Titan setup from 2, this game uses its interconnected world very well. Seeing the alternate paths through the world that Taion advised against taking, like Elaice Highway and the Urayan Trail, contextualize what's ultimately still a linear adventure just like 1 and 2 as taking place in a bigger world than we really know of. Being able to see the spectrums of changing biomes and how colony relations are influenced by the lands between them is something that we don't get a lot of in other Xenoblades that this game delivers on in spades.

The recesses in the landscape left by annihilation events are a great touch. They're more obvious in some places than in others, but considering that "chunks of the world disappear sometimes" isn't really a thing you can do dynamically in gameplay, seeing evidence of where they've already occurred is an effective way to show their effects outside of cutscenes.

Finally, there's the shape of the world and how it relates to the game thematically. Captocorn Peak is effectively a loop encircling Everblight Plain, the desolate war zone the characters started the game in. Looking at the shape of the rest of the world, this is an Ouroboros, with Captocorn Peak as the head and Everblight Plain as the tail. In this context, it's no coincidence that Everblight Plain is where the game begins. As the tail being devoured, Everblight Plain represents the impermanence of the endless now, with the damage done to the world and its inhabitants laid bare in its ruined landscape, and the implicit threat that the world will continue to consume itself in war if left unchanged. At the end of the game, the cleavage of this Ouroboros in twain, though emotionally painful for our party who has completed this circle, is necessary to end this self-destruction.

I think Eunie’s hair color might imply that she has more “Homs” in her genetics than other half High Entia and while she might age slower, she actually might be aging (or maturing I guess) at a rate closer to Homs.

I think Eunie’s hair color might imply that she has more “Homs” in her genetics than other half High Entia and while she might age slower, she actually might be aging (or maturing I guess) at a rate closer to Homs.
By the way, during her quest, Melia do tell Eunie that they are « exactly the same », a bit like how Nia tries to tell Mio that she is her mother (if so, then Rex is the father). So… is Eunie a half-Entia too ?

By the way, during her quest, Melia do tell Eunie that they are « exactly the same », a bit like how Nia tries to tell Mio that she is her mother (if so, then Rex is the father). So… is Eunie a half-Entia too ?

Her wings certainly seem big enough. Who knows for sure though? I liked the rare moments when the characters seemed confused at the differences in their races as if they’ve never considered it before. Teach’s Teachers sidequest had a couple moments relating to this.

It’s like they were too focused on fighting and filling the flame clocks to really think about core crystals, head wings, etc.

The idea that the pair could get fed into the moebius machine and recycled over and over again would be an absolute disaster from a narrative point of view IMO.
Personally, that’s the aspect about the Founders that has me the most excited. Seeing how Rex and Shulk develop within Aionios is a fascinating way to approach their characters. Seeing which of their core ideals carry over to this new world and which were ultimately shaped by their previous homes would honestly be the best hook possible for the DLC for me.

Y'know, with the implication that memories were retained in the post-credits scene, they realistically could have the DLC story be both the founders and an epilogue if they really wanted to. Or at least use the latter as a framing device for the former.

Finally, there's the shape of the world and how it relates to the game thematically. Captocorn Peak is effectively a loop encircling Everblight Plain, the desolate war zone the characters started the game in. Looking at the shape of the rest of the world, this is an Ouroboros, with Captocorn Peak as the head and Everblight Plain as the tail. In this context, it's no coincidence that Everblight Plain is where the game begins. As the tail being devoured, Everblight Plain represents the impermanence of the endless now, with the damage done to the world and its inhabitants laid bare in its ruined landscape, and the implicit threat that the world will continue to consume itself in war if left unchanged. At the end of the game, the cleavage of this Ouroboros in twain, though emotionally painful for our party who has completed this circle, is necessary to end this self-destruction.

This... is perfection...

Personally, that’s the aspect about the Founders that has me the most excited. Seeing how Rex and Shulk develop within Aionios is a fascinating way to approach their characters. Seeing which of their core ideals carry over to this new world and which were ultimately shaped by their previous homes would honestly be the best hook possible for the DLC for me.
I do kind of love how we are at opposite ends of the spectrum for nearly everything when we discuss this game. lol

It’s good, keeps conversation healthy. Naturally, I disagree with the above.

This is interesting

zKUFnKT.jpg

Trying out this absolutely busted build perfect for postgame EXP / CP farming.

Basically, I have everyone at Lv. 1 and I'm one-shotting Lv. 100 enemies in seconds.

Just finished the game, but I am curious: is the black fog ever explained? I was half expecting it to be explained somehow given its ties to Future Connected, but I see nothing so far.

Just finished the game, but I am curious: is the black fog ever explained? I was half expecting it to be explained somehow given its ties to Future Connected, but I see nothing so far.
It's the universes of 1 and 2 trying to merge from my understanding, it's why it causes an annihilation event in chapter 4 due to P and O overheating while interlinking (with interlinking only possible with people from worlds of 1 and 2).

I think it's safe to say the fog in FC was an early sign of the 'wall' between the universes beginning to crack and the same black fog. It makes me think the Fog King's beam attacks were a result of this creature harnessing the annihilation effect like a smaller scale version of the castle's annihilators. It's hard not to notice a similarity between the annihilator beam being fired from Keves Casltle in chapter 4 to the Fog King's beam being fired from Alcamoth and hitting the Junks at the beginning of FC.

Speaking of fog, I know people are adamant about Fog King being a gnosis and after the April trailer, people were pretty confident that the ouroboros were gnosis as well because of Ethel viewing the party as foggy figures, and connections were drawn to the Addam shades in Elpys - which I am told were also gnosis-like. Now that the game is out, does all that still check out?

I think it's safe to say the fog in FC was an early sign of the 'wall' between the universes beginning to crack and the same black fog. It makes me think the Fog King's beam attacks were a result of this creature harnessing the annihilation effect like a smaller scale version of the castle's annihilators. It's hard not to notice a similarity between the annihilator beam being fired from Keves Casltle in chapter 4 to the Fog King's beam being fired from Alcamoth and hitting the Junks at the beginning of FC.

Speaking of fog, I know people are adamant about Fog King being a gnosis and after the April trailer, people were pretty confident that the ouroboros were gnosis as well because of Ethel viewing the party as foggy figures, and connections were drawn to the Addam shades in Elpys - which I am told were also gnosis-like. Now that the game is out, does all that still check out?
The fog king, in isolation, definitely has all the hallmarks of being a gnosis, and I do think you could still read the Addam shades that way, but the party appearing foggy appears to have been a red herring that was purely the consuls messing with perception and nothing more.

My original read on Ouroboros was that the party technically didn't have physical bodies anymore, which is how the interlink transformation would have worked, but, while I can't say I really understand what Ouroboros actually does besides allowing interlinking, it doesn't seem to be that. I figured that the dissipation of the universe would have been a bigger focus of the plot. In this scenario, both sides would be fighting off the Gnosis that would portend that happening, and I thought the red eye would have been showing the party's true nature or something. In the end, the dissipation did seem to be happening (and honestly it feels really weird thematically that everyone, especially the Moebius, seem broadly unconcerned with this beyond trying not the get personally caught up in it), but it wasn't the focus, and the red eye was seemingly the exact opposite of what I thought it was.

That said, I wasn't off entirely. I was broadly correct that the war had been engineered to prolong the world (even if I was wrong about the reason) and that the true antagonist (if there was one at all, and it wasn't just existing characters doing what they thought must be done) would be going back to some flavor of the Xeno staple: Eternal Recurrence™. Also,
I might not have been right about the party being testaments, but the Consuls (X, Y, and Z aside, who definitely had some shades of Wilhelm) absolutely were. Like almost exactly the same. Down to some elements of the costume design.

Last edited:
just finished the game. I need to process what I just watched.

I told myself I wouldn't cry but when poppi (one of my favorite characters ever) came out, I lost it.

The fog king, in isolation, definitely has all the hallmarks of being a gnosis, and I do think you could still read the Addam shades that way, but the party appearing foggy appears to have been a red herring that was purely the consuls messing with perception and nothing more.

My original read on Ouroboros was that the party technically didn't have physical bodies anymore, which is how the interlink transformation would have worked, but, while I can't say I really understand what Ouroboros actually does besides allowing interlinking, it doesn't seem to be that. I figured that the dissipation of the universe would have been a bigger focus of the plot. In this scenario, both sides would be fighting off the Gnosis that would portend that happening, and I thought the red eye would have been showing the party's true nature or something. In the end, the dissipation did seem to be happening (and honestly it feels really weird thematically that everyone, especially the Moebius, seem broadly unconcerned with this beyond trying not the get personally caught up in it), but it wasn't the focus, and the red eye was seemingly the exact opposite of what I thought it was.

That said, I wasn't off entirely. I was broadly correct that the war had been engineered to prolong the world (even if I was wrong about the reason) and that the true antagonist (if there was one at all, and it wasn't just existing characters doing what they thought must be done) would be going back to some flavor of the Xeno staple: Eternal Recurrence™. Also,
I might not have been right about the party being testaments, but the Consuls (X, Y, and Z aside, who definitely had some shades of Wilhelm) absolutely were. Like almost exactly the same. Down to some elements of the costume design.
By dissipation happening. you mean how the fog/annihilation events keep going on, right? Like the effects of the universes colliding continue to cause destructive events for the 1000+ years that Aionious was going on. I also thought it was strange Moebius weren't overly bothered by it but assumed it was probably beyond Z's power to do anything about it. It feels like Z's endless now was never built to truly last and he had to know that. The annihilation events continued, entropy continues, and he was releasing a small stock of their food supply over the decades through homecomings.

By dissipation happening. you mean how the fog/annihilation events keep going on, right? Like the effects of the universes colliding continue to cause destructive events for the 1000+ years that Aionious was going on. I also thought it was strange Moebius weren't overly bothered by it but assumed it was probably beyond Z's power to do anything about it. It feels like Z's endless now was never built to truly last and he had to know that. The annihilation events continued, entropy continues, and he was releasing a small stock of their food supply over the decades through homecomings.
Yeah, the annihilation events basically run fully counter to Moebius' goals of preserving the endless now, but this goes strangely unremarked upon. It's clear that the two worlds are managing to slowly annihilate each other despite their best efforts, and ultimately they're just delaying the inevitable. You'd think that at least the party (especially Taion who seems to have worked out this is a distinct possibility based on one of the optional discussions) would have pointed this out in their refutation of Moebius. I have to wonder if the fog was a bigger deal in an earlier draft of the story, but ended up getting edited down to a plot device for hiding and/or wrecking things as the plot required.

I thought N's comment that homecoming was the end of the reincarnation cycle was just to mess with Noah and bring him (and the rest of the party) to despair before executing them. I agree that the Consuls probably weren't too bothered by the annihilation events since they are a bunch of hedonists and Aionios is still a pretty big playground despite portions of it vaporizing every so often.

About Ouroboros I was thinking that the reason Noah and Mio are always drawn to each other throughout their lifetimes isn't cause of "fate," but because their avatars within Origin were among the original six Ouroboros. By becoming Ouroboros their "data" becomes intertwined and separate from the main code of Origin which is why they reincarnate despite the presence of N and M. Following this line of thought if the party failed then future incarnations of Sena & Lanz and Taion & Eunie would also be drawn together throughout their future lives.

This is a "I don't understand these things" post that's also a request for timeline clarity from anyone who has any ideas. I know some of these don't have answers but it's always nice to see what people think.
  • How long do we think between the end of Xenoblade 1/2 and the universes colliding (XC3 intro cutscene more specifically)?
  • How long has passed between Origin booting up (or being taken over by Z I guess) and us beating Z (Melia says centuries to Nia but that could imply anything)?
  • If the founder statues are Rex and Shulk, how could they be old? Would they not also be stuck in the ten term life cycle? Depending on the answer to question 1, they might already be dead by the time Origin is fired up?
  • Were N and M Ouroboros in any of their past lives? They turned N & M before Ouroboros was a thing, right?
  • How long between N destroying the city and when the game takes place?
  • If we think the Vandham founder is Noah's kid but was also one of the first Ouroboros, does that line up?
  • If Nia created the Ouroboros stones, this happens in a period after Origin booting up but before she went to sleep? Same period she's seen talking to M? Any ideas on where this fits timeline wise? After N destroys the city?
  • If Mio is Nia's daughter, how old is she? How do blade children age? Brain hurty.
  • See in the cutscene where they're young and fighting Garvel, I kinda thought Joran was giving some of his lifespan "all that I am is yours" to Lanz and that would be a theme we'd return to but I guess he was just healing him so they could win the battle?
So there's probably a huge chunk of story missing after Origin boots up where Nia is still around, making stones, helping out the founders but Melia is imprisoned in Origin. Pure brain spill here but I've been away from the game for a wee bit so just wanted to see what folk think.

I thought N's comment that homecoming was the end of the reincarnation cycle was just to mess with Noah and bring him (and the rest of the party) to despair before executing them.
No, it's explicitly stated by other characters, most damningly by Z himself

There's still a lot of weirdness about the black fog beyond annihilation events. You could probably salvage old theories from these if you really wanted to:

• Origin has more fog inside it than any other place.
  • The purple monsters inside origin are made of fog. Sena indicates this shortly after arriving at the final dungeon, when you beat the first mob.
  • Related to the two previous points, Mio notes she can feel Moebius all around her while inside Origin. She also notes a "whiff of Moebius" from the first mob of purple monsters.
  • Once again, after the same mob encounter, Taion notes they aren't biological or mechanical, a somewhat similar statement to how Shulk identified the Fog King (neither from bionis or mechonis).
  • Consuls "bleed" fog when injured, easy to see in the beginning of chapter 6 after N's fight, or when Ghondor critically injures Consul Shania at the end of Sena's ascension quest.
  • The fake monsters summoned by Consul I in Fiona's recruitment quest resemble fog beasts.

This is a "I don't understand these things" post that's also a request for timeline clarity from anyone who has any ideas. I know some of these don't have answers but it's always nice to see what people think.
  • How long do we think between the end of Xenoblade 1/2 and the universes colliding (XC3 intro cutscene more specifically)?
  • How long has passed between Origin booting up (or being taken over by Z I guess) and us beating Z (Melia says centuries to Nia but that could imply anything)?
  • If the founder statues are Rex and Shulk, how could they be old? Would they not also be stuck in the ten term life cycle? Depending on the answer to question 1, they might already be dead by the time Origin is fired up?
  • Were N and M Ouroboros in any of their past lives? They turned N & M before Ouroboros was a thing, right?
  • How long between N destroying the city and when the game takes place?
  • If we think the Vandham founder is Noah's kid but was also one of the first Ouroboros, does that line up?
  • If Nia created the Ouroboros stones, this happens in a period after Origin booting up but before she went to sleep? Same period she's seen talking to M? Any ideas on where this fits timeline wise? After N destroys the city?
  • If Mio is Nia's daughter, how old is she? How do blade children age? Brain hurty.
  • See in the cutscene where they're young and fighting Garvel, I kinda thought Joran was giving some of his lifespan "all that I am is yours" to Lanz and that would be a theme we'd return to but I guess he was just healing him so they could win the battle?
So there's probably a huge chunk of story missing after Origin boots up where Nia is still around, making stones, helping out the founders but Melia is imprisoned in Origin. Pure brain spill here but I've been away from the game for a wee bit so just wanted to see what folk think.

This may be entirely wrong, so feel free to correct me:

1. My understanding from the sparse information in the game is 1 generation later essentially, so maybe 15-25 years.
2. Consul N and Consul M have been alive for at least a thousand years, but I don't think we ever got a more precise timeframe.
3. I think they were alive when the Origin was being built, if my understanding of point 1 is correct, and the nopon engineer helping building the Agnus side of the Origin is Tora (Nia's dialoge was a wink wink to the audience).
4. I remember a scene with Z, N and M facing each other and N/M were Ouroboros, it was a loop prior to them becoming consul.
5. The same generic thousand years of point 2.
6. It's probably a question for the DLC next year.
7. Nia talking to M was after the Ouroborus stones were created, as previous N/M were already Ouroborus.
8. We have no idea of what Pneuma/Klaus did to the blades after the events of XC2. Inside Origin they seem to be normal humans in terms of aging and reproducing.
9. I completely forgot anything related to Joran lol.

EDIT: other than Nia and Mio's hero ascension quests and the UM, is there any post-game only content in the game?

I feel like there's going to be plot reasons why Rex and Shulk aren't part of the cycle - even if it's just special protagonist 'plot armour'. I don't think franchise fans want to see those characters fed into the system, even if discussed above, it could be interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what happens at the end is that the 2 universes simply phase through each other instead of destroying each other, just like Noah assumed it was possible when he asked Z how he could be so sure destruction was inevitable without any concrete proof?

EDIT: glad I wasn't the only who didn't give 2 shits about J when Nia was right there lol. Sorry kid, I barely spent 30 minutes with you while I spent 60 hours with Nia in XC2.

hysrwqjrh5i91.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what happens at the end is that the 2 universes simply phase through each other instead of destroying each other, just like Noah assumed it was possible when he asked Z how he could be so sure destruction was inevitable without any concrete proof?

EDIT: glad I wasn't the only who didn't give 2 shits about J when Nia was right there lol. Sorry kid, I barely spent 30 minutes with you while I spent 60 hours with Nia in XC2.

hysrwqjrh5i91.png

For the first point, most people can't even agree on what has actually transpired. There are different interpretations of the ending.

For the second point I completely disagree. I couldn't care less about Nia in that scene. After the whole "don't worry guys they are just fake robots, everything's fine :^)" it was kinda laughable the game would even pretend anything bad could happen to them

I think J might be the worst character across all three games - he makes Juju look like Jin in comparison.

Honestly, I just wanted to get his death over with so we could talk to Nia… who clearly wasn’t going to die.

Just like Lanz and Sena were clearly not going to die in the previous chapter. With the exception of Mio in that one sequence, all the good guys feel indestructible.

hysrwqjrh5i91.png

Tbf, Joran is a completely garbage character, both in his motivation and redemption scene are so poor and some of the lowest points in the writing. So I don't blame you for not caring about him

Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom