• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Summer of Schwarzenegger |ST| If he's in it, we can watch it

Yeah, I'm probably good with not watching any more Terminator movies in my life. The first two are pretty perfect in my mind, and the second one ends on such a great, conclusive note. That story's well and done to me!

Also, I'm glad so many people enjoyed the thread! It was a lot of fun to work on. Compared to our Transformers thread, where we had the best movie by far very early on and then a LOT of bad afterwards, this one was easier to get through. For a long stretch we were watching almost nothing but great movies! It was really only towards the end that it started getting... really bad. But even then I ended up surprised. I never expected to enjoy Batman and Robin so much, for example! A movie with some very obvious flaws, but... the campiness just carried it for me. The batch of movies after that though... oof.

I think for our next thread, for the sake of our sanity we're going to focus on mostly movies we enjoy. Or think we'll enjoy. ...or at least Phos will enjoy. You'll see what I mean in the near future!

Reading up on it, I don’t think I’ve seen Genisys? The plots of all the later ones being all-over-the-place time travel and the nature of the series as ongoing chase sequences means I find it hard to keep them separate in my head. I don’t think I’ve seen the TV series (Sarah Conner Chronicles) either?

I think I bailed after Salvation but picked up a heavily discounted Dark Fate dvd on a whim a decade later and so went in expecting nothing :D

Yeah, I'm probably good with not watching any more Terminator movies in my life. The first two are pretty perfect in my mind, and the second one ends on such a great, conclusive note. That story's well and done to me!
There's definitely no real reason to revisit the post-T2 films now. I think even if/when they release a new one, people will struggle to find a reason to care. Most of the post-T3 sequels had some kind of hook to entice people to give the franchise one more try - Salvation: maybe T3 being bad was a fluke? Genisys: Arnie's back! Dark Fate: Linda Hamilton is back, and James Cameron sort of is too! - and I think they've kind of run out of those. What are they gonna do, bring Edward Furlong or Joe Morton back? Tbh, people obviously didn't even care about Hamilton/Cameron coming back since Dark Fate bombed pretty badly.

Although having said that I refreshed my memory on Dark Fate and it actually wasn't that bad. Totally forgettable and unnecessary, and there's no absolutely no need to watch it now, but an improvement on the dogshit that came before

I watched the opening bit of fark fate on YouTube, ya know the
deaged terminator killed young John connor bit
. Really just invalidates the ending of t2, glad I didn't waste money on seeing it.

There were 2 ways of making a followup to T2 that would feel worthwhile.

Option 1: james Cameron writes and directs a T3 in the late 90s or early 2000s. Get Arnie, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong back. Make this a 3rd and final film to round out a trilogy. Definitely going to need to show the future war stuff. End the saga in a satisfactory way, I think he could have pulled it off.

Option 2: Terminator vs Robocop. This is what they should've done if they were gonna do these without Cameron. You'll need Arnie and Peter Weller. Anyone else from either franchise is a bonus. What would the story be? I dunno but I know they've made comics and a game before. Put in some cool action set pieces and sci-fi shenigans and you could have a fun time. This could have been made anytime from the mid 90s through early 2000s.

Ultimately it's too late for either now. Annie is just too old and Cameron decided to waste a quarter century plus making smurf movies and Annie went into politics cutting off his film career for a number of years (tho sadly he was seemingly running on fumes by the end it seems).

Back
Top Bottom