• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

The Shin Megami Tensei V Review Prediction Thread

What will the aggregate for SMT5 be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Dark Souls of JRPGs"
"Missing the lovable charm of other ATLUS games"
8/10

83/100 aggregate
This, pretty much.
Add

"should be on better hardware"
"I couldn't fuck anyone why is this so dark"
I don't know I feel like this is giving most reviewers not enough credit. A majority of the previews were glowing so I don't see why the reviews would be different. There'll probably be one or two reviews like this that lower the overall score but I'm guessing all in all around 88

80-82. The game is hard as fuck and will not explain the mechanics well enough for noobs.
None of this is true lol. There's a Casual Mode, and other than P5R, SMTV makes the most effort to onboard new players of any Atlus games that I can think of

None of this is true lol. There's a Casual Mode, and other than P5R, SMTV makes the most effort to onboard new players of any Atlus games that I can think of
so is it easy even on normal/hard or is it just that Casual is easy and normal/hard are hard? Because a lot of reviewers have been talking about the game being pretty hard.

so is it easy even on normal/hard or is it just that Casual is easy and normal/hard are hard? Because a lot of reviewers have been talking about the game being pretty hard.
It's hard even on Casual, but it's not off puttingly hard. It's challenging, but it makes sure to explain and establish its rules, and it gives you the tools to deal with them.

Also it lets you swap difficulty whenever you want (though if you go down from Hard to a lower one, you can't go back to Hard).

i'm not saying the game will be like that lol Just a prediction. Also i think demon negotiation is too random for some people, idk why

84/85, it could be higher but the "persona" effect may bring it down a bit
I really doubt the "persona effect" is an actual thing that we'll see in reviews. People were expecting Dread reviews to be affected by games like Hollow Knight but that clearly didn't end up being the case. Reviewers just don't really review games based on what they're not.

Though at the end of the day my prediction is pretty close to yours, around an 86 I think. SMT will rub some reviewers the wrong way since the games simply aren't for everyone, and that'll be reflected in overall scores.

I think there is a distinct chance for a 90 since everyone who has the game seems to really like it, but more likely an 88-89

Yeah I can definitely see how that can be frustrating, now I'm curious how my hard mode playthrough will go lol. Is it a frequent thing or is there a particular boss or two you are thinking about when you say that?
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I'd rather the pacing be off due to that than due to them foisting who knows how many sidequests on you like they did in IV's neutral route. I can get why it'd be an issue though
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Sounds like SMT. It's why I think they'd never hit 90s and be more mid 80s range at best. The difficulty is higher than the usual JRPGs and there's difficulty spikes in every SMT game I've played.

I'm curious if you can say do you think people's impression of the story overall will be good? Its the thing I'm most curious about

[Hidden content]

Bro honestly that unironically sounds great lmao. I've seen people worry about the game not being difficult, but like you said I can see that being an issue for some reviewers.

But man this game sounds like
chefs-kiss-french-chef.gif

Kinda glad they added extra difficulty levels tho lol.

Bro honestly that unironically sounds great lmao. I've seen people worry about the game not being difficult, but like you said I can see that being an issue for some reviewers.

But man this game sounds like
chefs-kiss-french-chef.gif

Kinda glad they added extra difficulty levels tho lol.

At least there's an easy mode and Safety difficulty level lmao.
Yup, in general I would argue this is the most accessible game in the series yet. They've just done it very smartly without compromising on the stuff that fans like most about it is all.

Apparently even Casual is a challenge from the previews I've seen, though obviously more manageable

Apocalypse was definitely no walk in the park either, I can recall.

I wonder which boss(es) will become a meme for the SMT fanbase this time?

I'm going all-in with the unlikely 91. Not 90-94, exactly 91.

They shouldn’t take points off for difficulty then if there’s a story mode difficulty
It's not available to reviewers. It's launch day DLC. You can't review something you haven't tried on a promise, that's what gets you Cyberpunk.

Kinda glad Atlus stuck to their roots with SMT but also found a way to make it accessible for others.

It seems to me they wanted to cater to fans, but also understood the importance of making it accessible for a newer audience.

It's really difficult to find the right balance for games.

And here I was thinking of playing my first smt on normal. Guess I'll just try it out before deciding wether to stick to normal or lower it to casual.
From what I understood you can lower the difficulty during a playthrough but you can't up it.

Better to start on Normal and lower it when it starts to be too much.

From what I understood you can lower the difficulty during a playthrough but you can't up it.

Better to start on Normal and lower it when it starts to be too much.
You can actually change it freely outside of hard mode. You can go down from hard mode, but once you do you can't go back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom