• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

The Shin Megami Tensei V Review Prediction Thread

What will the aggregate for SMT5 be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing, PT! Sounds great to me.

How hard would you say the game is compared to other games in the series?
So I haven't played the older games in the series in, what, 5 years? All I can say is I was more frustrated in V than in the older games, but at the same time, I also have far less patience now than I used to before lol, so that doesn't have to mean anything in and of itself.

So I haven't played the older games in the series in, what, 5 years? All I can say is I was more frustrated in V than in the older games, but at the same time, I also have far less patience now than I used to before lol, so that doesn't have to mean anything in and of itself.
I am curious about a couple of things. Do you feel like the game ever tries pushing one alignment or path to you more than the others( as an example 4 clearly wanted you to pick neutral as the best path whereas 4A clearly wanted you to pick bonds as the correct path) or do you think that there was a more complicated morality/route selection? Also do you feel like the game stuck the landing with the ending? No worries if you can't answer, just curious.

I am curious about a couple of things. Do you feel like the game ever tries pushing one alignment or path to you more than the others( as an example 4 clearly wanted you to pick neutral as the best path whereas 4A clearly wanted you to pick bonds as the correct path) or do you think that there was a more complicated morality/route selection? Also do you feel like the game stuck the landing with the ending? No worries if you can't answer, just curious.
This again gets into the whole story/characters aspect of it that I’m hesitant to discuss. I can tell you that at first I thought the game was endorsing one path, then another, and then it felt like it really wanted me to make my own decision. But I actually found it generally more ambiguous and open ended than 4 and 4A in this regard.

This again gets into the whole story/characters aspect of it that I’m hesitant to discuss. I can tell you that at first I thought the game was endorsing one path, then another, and then it felt like it really wanted me to make my own decision. But I actually found it generally more ambiguous and open ended than 4 and 4A in this regard.
Alright no worries, I really appreciate the answer

Apocalypse was pretty hard on War difficulty, but honestly it was good for as SMT veteran as myself. It was a lot better than IV Hard difficulty, which just make the game more boring and tedious, and Nocturne Hard difficulty, which is just plain unfair lol

Pretty excited about V!

Seems like the story will go in some interesting directions, at least based on what we've heard so far

I'd ask if the routes are more standard Law/Neutral/Chaos affairs or something different, but from what you've said I'm guessing that sort of info is under heavy embargo

Seems like the story will go in some interesting directions, at least based on what we've heard so far

I'd ask if the routes are more standard Law/Neutral/Chaos affairs or something different, but from what you've said I'm guessing that sort of info is under heavy embargo
Yeah lol the story stuff is just a big no no for discussion. Which sucks because I would love to discuss it!

Yeah lol the story stuff is just a big no no for discussion. Which sucks because I would love to discuss it!
No worries! Hopefully you'll be able to go a bit more in detail after the embargo, but in any case we'll be able to see for ourselves soon enough

I'm actually happy to hear the game is hard even on normal, so looking forward to it.

I have a hard time seeing it crack 90 since no other game has this year. 85 seems like a safe bet, give or take a couple points.

Apocalypse was pretty hard on War difficulty, but honestly it was good for as SMT veteran as myself. It was a lot better than IV Hard difficulty, which just make the game more boring and tedious, and Nocturne Hard difficulty, which is just plain unfair lol

Pretty excited about V!

Apocalypse has the best difficulty balancing in the series, I reckon. They kept the challenge up right to the very final boss. Loved it for that.

Apocalypse has the best difficulty balancing in the series, I reckon. They kept the challenge up right to the very final boss. Loved it for that.
It just has the best gameplay outright in the franchise to me. Whiffed a bit on the story/characters but the actual team building, pace of fights and combat in general is unmatched imo. Hope SMT5 matches it or even beats it.

It just has the best gameplay outright in the franchise to me. Whiffed a bit on the story/characters but the actual team building, pace of fights and combat in general is unmatched imo. Hope SMT5 matches it or even beats it.

Yeah as a game it's just simply brilliant and really well designed. I liked most of the cast actually (unpopular opinion I know). I liked the party members like Dagda, Navarre and Gaston and the antagonists - the Divine Powers. The story I generally thought had lots of missed opportunities and it didn't have the same oppressive feeling as previous SMT games but I didn't care about that too much since it made up for that in other areas such as the combat and gameplay. I think the fanbase were a bit too worried the series would become more like Persona.

I personally think they do a good job of changing things up between each mainline game, some people like Nocturne, for others it's Strange Journey, for others it's one of the SNES games, or IV but I really liked Apocalypse a lot (more than IV, to be honest).

SMT3 has a MC of 82
SMT4 has a MC of 83
SMT4A has a MC of 84
So obviously, SMT5 will have a MC of 85

We'll have to wait till SMT10 for a MC of 90

I was pretty set on 80-84 but at this rate I can see it in the high eighties with confidence...

Yeah, expect a lot of 9's. Things are looking really good for this one right now. SMT fans will be in chaotic heaven once they get their hands on it.

Yeah, expect a lot of 9's. Things are looking really good for this one right now. SMT fans will be in chaotic heaven once they get their hands on it.
tumblr_n8zdpqsxkc1snox6ro7_500.gif

SMT fans in a nutshell

Not enough high school girls to hit on on or social links

Last edited:
You can try it, but apparently hard is really tough in this game so feel free to take it down if its kicking your ass
Touch is fine, tedious is the problem. If it just means that battles take longer becausemore hp…yeah, not fun.
well see tomorrow 🤔

Hey yall came over from Resetera, wanted to discuss reviews you tmmrw, Im hype to be watching vids all day tmmrw

Hey yall came over from Resetera, wanted to discuss reviews you tmmrw, Im hype to be watching vids all day tmmrw
At least here you know we won't waste pages complaining about the framerate and how the Switch is holding the game back.

By the way, I apologize for the double post, but we have

Less than 12 hours to go till embargo lifts!

This is ya'all's last call to get your predictions in.

Bro I just need a game to break the curse this year.

I was hoping Metroid would do it (It was so close lol) even tho my prediction was 88.
I was certain Metroid would, lol. But ultimately it fell so barely short.

I still don't think SMTV will do it, as much as I would like for it too. But Endwalker and Forza Horizon 5 should be shoe ins.

I was certain Metroid would, lol. But ultimately it fell so barely short.

I still don't think SMTV will do it, as much as I would like for it too. But Endwalker and Forza Horizon 5 should be shoe ins.

Yea same I feel that. I just want SMT to do it because man that kind of wom would be a great push for it imo.

Yea same I feel that. I just want SMT to do it because man that kind of wom would be a great push for it imo.
Yeah, I think a 90 for SMT will propel it beyond the 1-1.5 million territory that I assume mostly everyone expects it to land in.

And like, there's nothing wrong with it doing 1-1.5 million, that's already more than 2x what any other game in the series has done, but it could do so much more.

Yeah, I think a 90 for SMT will propel it beyond the 1-1.5 million territory that I assume mostly everyone expects it to land in.

And like, there's nothing wrong with it doing 1-1.5 million, that's already more than 2x what any other game in the series has done, but it could do so much more.

I hope the emphasis on exploration resonates with reviewers because from what I've seen in recent times games that have decent exploration are liked a lot.

The Famitsu review saying exploring is fun gives me a bit of hope.

I hope the emphasis on exploration resonates with reviewers because from what I've seen in recent times games that have decent exploration are liked a lot.

The Famitsu review saying exploring is fun gives me a bit of hope.
Exploring is great, it's top tier in terms of JRPGs as far as that goes, yeah.

But as I've discussed in this thread before, there are definitely a couple things I could see countering the goodwill from that lol

Exploring is great, it's top tier in terms of JRPGs as far as that goes, yeah.

But as I've discussed in this thread before, there are definitely a couple things I could see countering the goodwill from that lol

That reminds me did reviews dunk Tales of Arise for its difficulty when it comes to bosses because I've seen quite a few complaints come from different places due to bosses feeling different compared to everything else at least the human bosses.

That reminds me did reviews dunk Tales of Arise for its difficulty when it comes to bosses because I've seen quite a few complaints come from different places due to bosses feeling different compared to everything else at least the human bosses.
Really? Never struggled with Arise's difficulty even once to be honest, so that wouldn't have occurred to me.

To be fair, I kind of tuned out of Arise entirely a few months ahead of its launch. I had no intention of even getting it until a couple years down the line for like a dozen bucks, but I ended up getting gifted a copy and loving it lol.

But as far as my extremely limited knowledge of the game and the discourse around it ahead of launch goes, I never heard any complaints about its difficulty.

Really? Never struggled with Arise's difficulty even once to be honest, so that wouldn't have occurred to me.

To be fair, I kind of tuned out of Arise entirely a few months ahead of its launch. I had no intention of even getting it until a couple years down the line for like a dozen bucks, but I ended up getting gifted a copy and loving it lol.

But as far as my extremely limited knowledge of the game and the discourse around it ahead of launch goes, I never heard any complaints about its difficulty.

See that's funny seeing how I've seen many complain about it in the OT thread at Era lol.

There were a fair number of complaints about how the human bosses couldn't be staggered/air lifted and were tuned a bit too high, and were both more difficult than they needed to be and also didn't let you use enough of the game's combat system. I think most of the complaints I heard in particular were all about the boss of the second realm wiping people with indignation. I can kind of see it, since he's the first real difficulty spike in the game and can also be gotten to while being kind of underleveled if you're not exploring much (and also people didn't know to use elemental damage reduction accessories yet? Maybe?)

I'm sure this is tricky to discuss rn, so thank you for telling us what you can! This also helps ease a concern I had with how they'd handle letting you make the Big Choice. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom