• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

The Shin Megami Tensei V Review Prediction Thread

What will the aggregate for SMT5 be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now let's not do this. One thing I disliked on other forums are folks knocking down reviewers for giving low scores to games they like. Criticizing reviews is fine but even that should be within reason

The one I'm curious about is Polygon, the preview got ratioed hard I wonder if the author will double down or change perspective.

Now let's not do this. One thing I disliked on other forums are folks knocking down reviewers for giving low scores to games they like. Criticizing reviews is fine but even that should be within reason
In even broader terms, getting upset over someone else's opinion online is something that shouldn't be a thing. If I enjoyed something, why should I give a shit about someone else disliking it, or vice versa.

Always reminds me of this:

The one I'm curious about is Polygon, the preview got ratioed hard I wonder if the author will double down or change perspective.

They weren't the only one, the segment on the Kinda Funny Gamescast was all about the fact the game isn't Persona 5. Blessing even said SMTV has "the demons from Persona 5"😬

Not ashamed to admit I'm only looking forward to the reviews for the updated version of

fab.jpg

Oh was it that bad? I honestly just tuned myself out on most stuff after the first few trailers so I can go in blind πŸ˜‹

Yeah, I could see it going either way but leaning a bit more towards doubling down as that's what folk tend to do

In even broader terms, getting upset over someone else's opinion online is something that shouldn't be a thing. If I enjoyed something, why should I give a shit about someone else disliking it, or vice versa.

Always reminds me of this:

Yeah, that's where I'm at, albeit, I have to admit, I do find folk who are a bit hostile or persistent with their so-called controversial opinions to be rather annoying πŸ˜…

Yeah, that's where I'm at, albeit, I have to admit, I do find folk who are a bit hostile or persistent with their so-called controversial opinions to be rather annoying πŸ˜…
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I did not mean to imply me being free of fault in this regard, either, lol.

Not ashamed to admit I'm only looking forward to the reviews for the updated version of

fab.jpg
I mean some of those points are…not wrong.
β€œpokemon-esqueβ€œ is a reasonable description in a way for the mainstream
β€œdark souls of personaβ€œ …for back in the day acceptable variant of β€žharder and bleaker version of personaβ€œ
β€œancient battle. Etween good and evilβ€œ …yeah, thats a trope as old as jrpgs. β€žJrpgs…those games where you kill god at the endβ€œ
β€žWorld map is rather minimalβ€œ … well, you can disagree, but its a point for that person
β€žA step back in some ways from nocturneβ€œβ€¦ yeah, i asume some would feel that, especially with
β€ž2d sprites in the year of 2013β€œ and β€ždissapointing that they are back into…after what was in nocturneβ€œ.
β€œfirst person battles? Eugh.β€œ

some of those are comparisons to nocturne, the direct pequell. Thats legitimate.
and some are points that did hold me back. (First person battles, 2d sprites, the world map on screen shots, the main character designs)
And i have read, that the plot takes forever to really get going. Even from people that loved the game,
so i could see it being rather boring for many people or a weak point If you are a more story focused jrpg player.

all of this does not mean that there arent some really bad takes on that meme…

It’s like there aren’t Jrpgs outside of Persona lol.
Persona 5 Royal is one of the best JRPGs ever. JRPGs used to be compared to the genre's best all the time. In the late 90s and early 2000s every single JRPG was compared to FF or (in the west) more rarely to DQ. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct thing to do, but it seems like pretty natural behaviour. Persona 5 Royal just happens to be the currently most well-received game in the genre.

A review was posted early and quickly deleted from Gamingbible, it was a 9/10 so good start lol. Spent most of the review calling it satisfying but difficult and comparing it to soulsbourne games

Grabbed a screenshot before it could be deleted

See that's funny seeing how I've seen many complain about it in the OT thread at Era lol.

There were a fair number of complaints about how the human bosses couldn't be staggered/air lifted and were tuned a bit too high, and were both more difficult than they needed to be and also didn't let you use enough of the game's combat system. I think most of the complaints I heard in particular were all about the boss of the second realm wiping people with indignation. I can kind of see it, since he's the first real difficulty spike in the game and can also be gotten to while being kind of underleveled if you're not exploring much (and also people didn't know to use elemental damage reduction accessories yet? Maybe?)
That's very bizarre lol, the second realm boss didn't even give me trouble (if anything the first one felt like a bit of a steep escalation).

I guess Arise at least had some nice difficulty options if nothing else tho

Persona 5 Royal is one of the best JRPGs ever. JRPGs used to be compared to the genre's best all the time. In the late 90s and early 2000s every single JRPG was compared to FF or (in the west) more rarely to DQ. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct thing to do, but it seems like pretty natural behaviour. Persona 5 Royal just happens to be the currently most well-received game in the genre.
Yup. Also one of the highest selling ones (so one of the ones that most people have exposure to, meaning it's an easy reference point).

It's how when someone describes SMT as "Pokemon but darker", they're not saying SMT copied Pokemon, they're using Pokemon as an easy reference point to explain SMT's loop.

Comparisons to Persona are inevitable, and also not as unnecessary as many may think. In the end though, there should be a limit to it of course, if your review spends more time talking about Persona than the game you are reviewing (like that Polygon one did), that's pretty awful, but otherwise I don't think the mere mention of Persona is any reason to complain lol.

Comparisons to Persona in Western reviews are necessary β€” most gamers have played Persona and not SMT than the other way around. But saying "the demons from Persona" shows a lack of basic research. It's just games at the end of the day so not a big deal, it just sounds funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom